The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Even though Bay has gone AWOL since June ended, our offense has begun to pick it up again. I liked our approach tonight to let Joba throw an insane amount of pitches.......then Smoltz and Billy Traber happened.......Like TSA said though, Wake went out and our seemingly incredible pitching staff blew up before our eyes. Smoltz is absolutely awful and we continue to trot him out there, Penny has consistently gotten worse as the year has progressed and our big 'stud, can't miss prospect' :huh: Clay Buccholz isn't much better. Our rotation is just so shaky right now and like I said yesterday, I'd would LOVE for Dice K to come back and I don't think anyone would've ever heard me say that before the last 2 or 3 weeks. Getting Dice K and Wake back would help, but I'm not even sure if God knows when that is gonna happen the way things are going for us now.

I just want to know what is going to happen with Jason Bay. He was our rock in the middle of the lineup for so long this season and has completely fallen apart since July 1. I think they said yesterday that he has hit 2 HR's since the start of July. I would start pulling out all the stops if I were the Sox right now. Call up Bowden, Tazawa and Reddick for good right now and have them take the place of some of the underperforming veterans.

Ugh... nuff said.

Saw that coming from mile away but I held out some hope after Pedroia threw out Posada at the plate and Ellsbury caught that long ball against the wall. I kept thinking that if Smoltz could just hang on for the 4th, quite possible it might get him over the hump. Wrong.

So...for a guy that been clobbered by lefties, going up against a batting order full of lefties, and in a park where the ball mysteriously flies out of right field on auto pilot....really Tito, was he the best choice? Sadly, there werent any options. Smoltz better not get another start because he looked and sounded absolutely defeated. Would he even consider pitching long relief out of the pen?

Props to the kid Billy Traber for taking one for the team (to quote Don Orsillo). I really didnt expect to take game 1 but the most frustrating part of last night was Joba was awful and the game was very winnable. Not saying the Red Sox would have won if not for Smoltz's melt down, but they were very much in the game until then.

So the way I see it, the Red Sox have holes at:

starting pitching (losing both Dicek and Wake really hurt)

long relief pitching (Love the aquisition of VMart but losing Masterson hurts)

short stop (maybe dropping Lugo before knowing how Lowrie could hold up was a bad idea?)

outfield (when Nick Green and Youk are playing in the OF, something is really wrong)

No waiver wire aquisition can fix all that.

Beckett vs Burnett, Buchholz vs Sabathia, Lester vs Pettitte. If the Yanks win tonight, the Sox's chance for this series are gone. Becketts their ace, and if we can somehow get some runs on him early, before he settles down and finds his groove, it'll be all good. I think Sabathia can out duel Buchholz, and then Lester will give Pettitte a run for his money, pulling out a win and stumping the Yanks.

Like I said, if we take 2 out of the 4, we're still ahead 1 and a half games. Not bad, in which we face the Jays, Mariners, Oakland and back at Fenway in 2 weeks for a 3 game set. The Sox face Tigers, Rangers, and Jays. Our advantage will be we'll get a day off before facing the Sox, while they'll be playing 3 days straight already (which isn't bad, but still.) 7 away sets for us, 7 home sets for us. Sox have 8 away sets and 8 home sets. hmm..

WOW. John Smoltz DFA'd. I didn't think the Yanks could do that to a person (or be the straw that breaks the Red Sox back!)

http://www.rototimes.com/mlb/player.php?tq...&nid=143696

and http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-jus...ated-assignment

And just announced on ESPNnews that Tito and the gang released the info at Yank stadium.

They also added Chris Woodward and Junichi Tazawa, while DFA's Traber from last night. Wow.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/08/red-...dfa-traber.html

Alex Rios also DFA'd, so I'm hoping the Yanks take him. They'd have him for next season as well, which would be an improvement over Swisher/Matsui.

Kind of sad, but had to be done. I dont think the Yanks did it to him C23, he was hanging by a thread before he ever entered the Bronx. Im just glad Theo and Co. didn't wait any longer. Tazawa cant possible do any worse.

Always sad when a future Hall of Famer ends his career on a bad note, for any team.

Maybe he'll come back into baseball into middle relief. Agreed TSA, sad to see someone end their career on a sad note, so maybe he'll be picked up and help a team into the PO's as a middle relief/set up guy (ironic if it was the Yanks and he actually did help, but I HIGHLY doubt that is going to happen.)

And we'll probably not get Alex Rios, he's owed like 13 mil a season for the next 5 years, and isn't better than Swisher with the bat, definitely defensively, but not the bat.

I was so relieved to see Smoltz gone. I think the Sox wanted to give him one last chance to see if he could put it together on a big stage, but he failed miserably. Tazawa has been really impressive at the minor league levels he's been at and I'm interested in seeing what he'll do up here. I would also like to see Bowden come up full time and have each of them compete for a full time rotation spot.

Beckett needs to be a stopper tonight for us and same goes for Lester on Sunday. A big start from Buccholz would be nice, but not something I think anyone is expecting right now with his recent outings.

Nothing worse than NOT being able to see the game due to a bad stream or two.

Edit: OH YEAH!!! WEOO! (sorry, pent up Boston frustration)

Well I THOUGHT that the offense was breaking out of its slump with our huge output in Camden......I guess I thought wrong. I'm getting an eerie '06 feeling again. Guys over perform in the first half to give us a nice cushion at the break, then the offense becomes anemic and the pitching staff literally begins to fall apart. When our RF/DH/C/3B are all old or breaking down, we have no viable 4th or 5th starter and we literally do not have a major league caliber SS in our organization currently........we all better hope and pray that the minor leaguers that get called up can do a good enough job to keep us in the Wild Card race.....

On the bright side Buccholz performed pretty well today against a lineup that has absolutely caught fire, and in a HR launching pad to boot. Hopefully he can turn into a viable #3 guy if Wake and Dice K ever make it back for the last month plus.

Pretty disappointing but it is what it is right now. There's too many holes to fill right now and the Yanks look very strong.

I also thought Buchholtz looked good and much more confident and even though Tazawa gave up that HR to Arod, I thought he looked pretty good too. Time for a changing of the guard in Boston. The infusion of more youth into the line up has begun, as much as I love Mike Lowell, Tek and other vets, they're great when healthy but cant be counted on.

Theo will need to find a top notch SS free agent this winter, and if hopefully Dicek can get back on track, the rest of the pieces are there moving forward. Still holding out hope for the Wild Card but I'm not sure the Red Sox have the horses to make any noise in the playoffs right now. Things can change pretty quickly though if just a couple of guys can get healthy.

I thought Buchholz did a good job as well. For someone who had been struggling for a while, he came out and limited the Yanks to really 2 or 3 runs, which isn't bad.

I'm hoping we can land a really good defensive OF with speed, and a little pop (Denard Span preferably). I have no clue on his contract, and the Yanks have a 5 tool OF in Austin Jackson in the minors who's suppose to be making his majors debut either the end of this year, or next year, so, we'll see.

Personally, I'm glad the Sox didn't resign Orlando Cabrera, simply because he was so friggin good with them, it irritated me.

Whats your take on Big Papi? I could care less at this point, after all the names have been released so far, and Arod coming out afterwards, people should give Ortiz some slack. He's not the first, and he's definitely not the last. Hate to have that attitude, but there's many more names out there, and we'll be going through the list until 2020 by this rate.

Edit: Sox claimed Cristian Guzman from the Nationals. Time will tell if the Nats let him go, pull him back, or work something out.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...ye_nats_sh.html

I want to believe Ortiz not just because Im a Red Sox fan but because I'd like to think that there's some truth to all the stuff Weiner said about that list in the press conference. The way I see it, David had every chance in the world to come clean if he really had something to hide. History now shows that players that come clean rather than to deny things are forgiven. He's now stuck his neck out about as far as he can go swearing up and down that he hasnt ever bought or taken steroids so for his sake, I hope no story comes out of left field (no pun intended) that links him in anyway to steroids.

Because of this, I believe his story about the possibility of testing positive from a supplement.

Here's my conspiracy theory... Interesting that only Dominican players have been outed and that the Times leaked the story right before the biggest week of the season for the Red Sox. Arod's leak came right out camp before the season when he was dealing with whether or not to have pre-season surgery. I also think its interesting that the players association jumped right in when it involved a very likable representative of the league, and one that so far appears to be steroid free. Could they be rallying around a big named player that could help to clear some of the negative press about all this? The league was no where to be found with Arod, and his teamates also distanced themselves till that final press conference where he admitted things. I'm probably crazy but I'm holding out some hope that Papi is telling the truth.

Here's dirtdogs take on the Guzman addition:

Major league sources have told the Boston Globe that the Red Sox have claimed Cristian Guzman off waivers.

The Red Sox desperately need shortstop depth, and Guzman would fit the bill. Hitting .315/.333/.437, Guzman has resurrected his career after 2002-6 all but left him for dead. Guzman will make $8 million next year, so the Nationals should heavily consider just letting him go to the Sox on the waiver claim. If Guzman does change teams, he immediately becomes a must-have in AL-only leagues.

Lester has done an outstanding job confusing the Yanks. Pettitte has been flirting with the Sox, kind of teasing both sides (will you won't you) score. Either way, this series has been outstanding since Friday as far as pitching goes.

Sorry, long post here, but I'm tired and frustrated at 2 in the morning.....

Well you finally think you've got a chance for a win.......then the guy who was virtually unhittable for nearly 2 months gives up this game (even though the HR's Damon/Teixeira looked like a product of the new Yankee stadium to me) and the game Lester pitched against Tampa Bay. This week has been truly awful for my baseball sanity......when does college football and hockey season start again?? ;)

The Guzman trade is very interesting. It would provide the Sox some offense from SS and allow them to plug in Green every now and then because I think he looks gassed from that first half of the season. But at this point I'm holding out hope for the Wild Card, but am seriously expecting this season to turn out like '06 in a VERY eerily similar way. We've got a lot of veterans being held together by pins an needles at this point in our lineup and don't have a 4 or 5 starter. I mean Lowell can hit, but not play 3rd base - Papi is hot and cold in a ridiculous way - Varitek started off great power wise but has fallen off a lot - and Drew has been very disappointing even by JD Drew standards. With guys like Lars Anderson, Reddick and Kalish in the minors and others like Kottaras needing more time in the MLB to truly show what they can do, I think we'll see a much younger Red Sox team in 2009-2010. This season looks to be more of a transition period for us like last season was to the Yankees.

I say we bring up Bowden and let him and Tazawa finish out the year with the team if Wakefield and Dice K cannot get right soon to give them some big league time like we did with Pedroia in '06. Next year we still will have a top flight pen, and our young guns like Bard will have some more big game experience to improve their game and our rotation should be comprised of Beckett, Lester, Buccholz, Wakefield, Bowden/FA/Dice K - with Tazawa in the wings for the next year or two. I still don't know what to think of the whole Dice K situation. He could get himself straightened out or maybe the Sox will opt to trade him and bring up a young guy for a rotation spot or venture into the FA market for a veteran guy.

On the Papi situation though, I'm willing to put my trust in him based on his steadfast denial of this whole occurrence. He hasn't once wavered one bit and based on his past character I'm willing to believe him. This is greatly helped by the fact that the list has names on it of guys who just wanted positive testing so they said to add their name to the list to get it close to the 5% threshold, some guys names twice, some guys who tested positive for supplements, some guys testing positive for supplements that they later found out were lined with steroids, etc. They need to just release what Ortiz tested positive for, and do the same for anyone else in the future in this predicament, because you know there will be many. And TSA, the whole releasing Ortiz/Manny names before the Sox biggest week of the season does seem a bit questionable to me as well. They've had this knowledge and just NOW chose to contact the NY Times?

Here is my spoiler: The Mets will be spoilers in the NL. Key Players will be returning soon. They could make teams like the Rockies, Phillies and Giants lives very difficult. Which team do you think is going to a spoiler?

I'm still not counting out the Rays. They have big game exoerience now which will come in handy down the stretch for the wild card.

I dont follow the NL too much until I need to so I couldnt make a good guess there but the Mets look like they could straighten things out anytime. It might be too late though.

At least I can still find the humor in the Panic Poll on dirtdogs.com :lol:

It's over. Stick a fork in this team, there's no playoffs for the Sox. When does Patriots season begin?

59.5%

It's OK. This team is still a playoff contender when it's healthy and this is just a bump in the road to the playoffs.

40.5%

Total votes: 5342

I personally still can't believe that the Yanks haven't collapsed or something...it's been something to count on these last few years as they've pieced together big money players who aren't big time performers. I guess this season they're for real. As for those Red Sox...

Still better than my Twins! lol

More humor from dirtdogs (they're on a roll today):

Once the best team in the American League, the Red Sox find themselves fighting for a playoff spot, tied with the Texas Rangers and one game up on the Tampa Bay Rays for the wild card. They have lost six straight in accordance with a darkly comic confluence of events. Consider everything crammed together in a short period of time:

-Critical comments made by pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka regarding the way the team has handled him came to light.

-David Ortiz was identified as one of the names on the list of players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003.

-John Smoltz was designated for assignment after he allowed eight earned runs in 3 1/3 innings against the Yankees. He allowed at least five earned runs in six of eight starts and accumulated an 8.33 ERA.

-Fifteen players occupied six roster spots over a 10-day span.

-Jason Bay, perhaps their most durable player, missed four of the six games against the Rays and Yankees.

-Kevin Youkilis played left field in Yankee Stadium twice.

-The Red Sox did not score for 31 consecutive innings, their longest drought in more than 25 years.

-The Red Sox called up Junichi Tazawa as an emergency reliever and were forced to debut him in the 14th inning of a scoreless game. An inning later, he allowed a walk-off home run to Alex Rodriguez.

-Brad Penny, tonight

Also I believe Nick Green played a game in LF as well........man things have not been going too well lately. What has killed us was that from April through June Jason Bay was one of the best RBI men in the league and our lineup revolved around him getting the big HR's to drive in Youk/Pedrioa/Ellsbury ahead of him, now with him in an absolutely EPIC slump since the start of July our lineup looks old, powerless and defeated. Then Wakefield went out and aside from Beckett and Lester's gems (still end up losses though) we've had hardly any quality starts from anyone.

I'm glad you're posting some of the stuff from Dirt Dogs TSA because I haven't gone on there since we lost to the Rays, seeing pictures of this terrible week will only put me in a really bad mood. ;)

Guzman cleared waivers and won't be heading to Boston. :angry:

Cristian Guzman has cleared waivers and will not be traded to the Red Sox, reports Bill Ladson of MLB.com.

"Guzman was on eggshells for two days asking [acting general manager Mike Rizzo] whether or not he was going to be traded," a baseball source told Ladson. "That story should have never came out." Guzman is currently riding a 15-game hitting streak. Overall, he is batting .317 with five home runs and 40 RBI.

Guzman cleared waivers and won't be heading to Boston. :angry:

Cristian Guzman has cleared waivers and will not be traded to the Red Sox, reports Bill Ladson of MLB.com.

"Guzman was on eggshells for two days asking [acting general manager Mike Rizzo] whether or not he was going to be traded," a baseball source told Ladson. "That story should have never came out." Guzman is currently riding a 15-game hitting streak. Overall, he is batting .317 with five home runs and 40 RBI.

Is that the same Guzman that played for the Twins? He's a solid player...always liked him. If it's a different guy though, then nevermind haha.

Is that the same Guzman that played for the Twins? He's a solid player...always liked him. If it's a different guy though, then nevermind haha.

I think so. Boy, the Red Sox really could have used him.

Yup, White Sox got Alex Rios. Not bad. Put Dye as the DH full time, and not too shabby. IF they can keep the payroll under control, they could have a pretty good team if Jake Peavy straightens up, and Rios bounces back into his better form.

ruby_slippers.jpg

There's no place like home...There's no place like home....There's no place like home....