The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

It's funny about Guzman, my bro lives in DC and is a big Nats fan (one of the few). For awhile, it seemed like everytime I tried talking to him about baseball and the Nats, we'd just keep coming back to how much Guzman sucks. This was after they signed him to a big deal in '05 and he proceeded to hit .219. Man he hated that guy. I think he got over it the last couple years tho, since Guz has been pretty productive and the Nats have had plenty of other crappy players for him to hate.

Sox have found their offense again, and the Yanks are struggling with the Jays (thanks Mitre). So many innings...

Sox have found their offense again, and the Yanks are struggling with the Jays (thanks Mitre). So many innings...

Shhhh, still 3 more innings. Plenty of time for the Red Sox to find a way to blow this one too. :rolleyes:

Solid bounce back win tonight. The offense showed up and got some XB hits and Penny finally turned in a quality start. I'm hoping the Sox can make the AL East close so we'll at least have the Sox/Yankees drama in the September games. I'm really upset that Guzman won't be coming here, Green is fine as a fill in guy, but do we really want Woodward on our 25 man roster? I'd have to think a kid from the minors would be better use of a roster spot even if he is a mid level guy.

Solid bounce back win tonight. The offense showed up and got some XB hits and Penny finally turned in a quality start. I'm hoping the Sox can make the AL East close so we'll at least have the Sox/Yankees drama in the September games. I'm really upset that Guzman won't be coming here, Green is fine as a fill in guy, but do we really want Woodward on our 25 man roster? I'd have to think a kid from the minors would be better use of a roster spot even if he is a mid level guy.

Im not as excited as you. It was a good and much needed win but they still gave up 10 hits and a 4-0 lead. I guess that's more on Penny than the team but it would be nice to see a solid performance before Im ready to think they've turned the page on last week.

Tazawa is getting his first start tonight, I thought he looked pretty good the other night with the exception of one bad pitch to Arod.

And according to NESN, the Guzman talks aren't dead.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm still not optimistic about our shot right now at all, but watching a game where Penny or Smoltz hadn't blown it by the 5th inning was a sight for sore eyes for me. What really worries me is our bullpen right now as well. Some promising youngsters can come up and fill the back end of the rotation until Wake and/or Dice K come back, but our bullpen is starting to really show the long innings its had to pitch in the last 2 or so weeks. Bard and Delcarmen are the two guys who have really been showing some fatigue lately with their lack of command in certain situations.

Well if Bay and Papi dont start hitting consistently, the bullpen wont matter.

Updates for tonight:

-Tazawa will only be allowed 5 innings to keep his pitch count down-oh no, more bullpen innings

-Wake will be back in the rotation next week as of right now-thank God

-Lowrie's tests all came back neg and he'll only need medicine for a nerve irritation-please dont give him steroids

-Dicek has thrown 55 pitches from the mound and will increase to 65- wonder if any were strikes

-Smoltz cleared waivers- shocker

Wow, what a game. Youk did his best Don Zimmer on Pedro impression and Tito actually showed some emotion getting himself ejected. JBay seems to coming out of his slump and Mike Lowell is a pretty amazing guy to have off your bench.

I thought Tazawa pitched a great game and if it wasnt for Nick Green's error in the first, he would have had a great line for his first outing. He seemed to get stronger and more confident as the game went on which is the complete opposite of Smoltz. There may be some hope.

Yeah, I loved what we saw out of Tazawa last night. I had no idea that a Japanese starter actually ever attacked the strike zone??!! :blink:;)

And yes, hopefully Bay is breaking out of his slump - the HR last night was an absolute bomb. It will hurt to lose Youk for a few games, but he had clearly reached his boiling point and I'm hoping the discipline is less severe considering the opposing teams ALWAYS target Youkilis. Lowell has hit fine all season, but it was his hip that prevented him from playing. I'd really like to keep his bat in the lineup for at the very least all the home games with his perfect Fenway stroke, but it will be hard to balance with Ortiz still in the lineup when Youk returns.

Smoltz has cleared waivers and apparently refused an assignment in Pawtucket. There's some rumblings on dirtdogs about the Red Sox being interested in the Brewer's recently released SS JJ Hardy too.

From Ken Rosenthal:

Smoltz, 42, receives about $35,000 for each day he is on the active roster and other appearance-based bonuses. He also receives a $500,000 bonus if he is on the active roster and not the disabled list on the last day of the season and a $500,000 bonus if he is traded.

If Boston releases Smoltz, the Red Sox will be obligated to pay the remainder of his one-year, $5.5 million contract he signed in the offseason. . . . Smoltz's new team would not have to pay him any bonus money, as the bonuses are negated once a player is released.

Pretty sad if Smoltz ends his career like this but I cant see another team taking a chance for that kind of money.

That is sad, he's still serviceable in the short term, but his days of being a starter are over.

In other news Youk was slapped with a 5 game suspension. Is appealing will start out starting tonights game.

That is sad, he's still serviceable in the short term, but his days of being a starter are over.

In other news Youk was slapped with a 5 game suspension. Is appealing will start out starting tonights game.

Both Youk and Porcello were suspended for 5 games, and Edwin Jackson was fined for his over agressive participation in the mayhem.

I cant blame Youk for charging the mound but he shouldn't have thrown the helmet. I hope it serves as a wake up call for the team.

cano "dont ya know" wins in the 11th, jerry remy is in the booth, good to see him.. off for 4 in seattle, mitre and gaudin pitch 2 of the games... gaudin got the win today..

Both Youk and Porcello were suspended for 5 games, and Edwin Jackson was fined for his over agressive participation in the mayhem.

I cant blame Youk for charging the mound but he shouldn't have thrown the helmet. I hope it serves as a wake up call for the team.

Porcello looked like a fool throwing his arms up acting like why you rushing me? What does a 5 game suspension do for a pitcher? Miss a start while the batter sits for 5.

Anyways

Time to see what Pedro still has.

Well, Mike Lowell certainly stepped it up for them, homer 3 times in 2 games (I think). Cano with the walk off last night, which was good for us, since Boston won as well. Boston loss today, so we'll see what the Yankees can do tonight, as its Sabathia vs Ian Snell formerly from the Pirates.

I feel kind of bad for Javier Vazquez. He was suppose to be awesome, hence why Yanks picked him up, but wasn't haven't a good outing the time he was with us. I definitely think he could have been a solid #3 or #2 guy with us, and certainly had some nasty stuff when he was dead on. Too bad that was when Giambi was out 1st basemen, and blessed us with his defensive skills (and heavy bat after a caliber season with the A's. ) Good to see him getting the W's in Atlanta though, always liked the guy.

AGon back in Boston to give Nick Green some much needed relief. Guess that means Jed Lowrie is out. Red Sox gave up some no name ss minor league player and got back $1.1 in cash. There's a club option for next season if it works out. Good depth signing for defense but Im not so sure he'll add much in offense.

Trust me, as a Braves fan, when Wren made the deal to get Javy Vazquez, a lot of fans thought Wren gave up a little too much to get Vazquez. All Javy has done is gone out and give us innings and struck out guys left and right.

The Braves have wanted this guy for a long time and he seems to be very happy in Atlanta, believe me, we, as fans are thrilled he is here. I love this pitching staff in Atlanta and now the lineup is coming around too.

Huddy is going to do 3 more rehab starts and should be ready by Sept 1st for the expanding of the rosters. Huddy doesn't care if he heads to the bullpen or is placed in the rotation, he is willing to do what is best for this team. He is already throwing the splitter and hitting his spots.

Believe me, as a big Braves fans, this is a make or break weekend for us.

Now, how about the butt kicking the Cubs laid on the Pirates today? 10 Runs by the 2nd inning. Someone upset someone big time and they took it out on Charlie Morton and the Pirates. By the time it was all said and done, the final score was 17-2.

Unless it is a close division race, the teams involved in the WC, those are the games to watch. Teams who are out of it are going to being playing the spoiler. Perfect example....Nats could have done that Tuesday and Wednesday against the Braves but failed. Mets have that opportunity against the Giants, who are involved in the WC, can help us and others by beating the Giants.

Should be an exciting 6 weeks to go.

I believe you. ;)

Holy cow I dont know if Im ready for Sept/Oct baseball :o Thank you Victor Martinez for sparing Tito the execution squad. I dont know what he was thinking putting Buccholtz in as a pinch runner but thankfully it didnt matter in the end. Gutsy comeback win in the most important series of the season fror Red Sox.

Tito, please keep Buccholtz on the mound and off the base paths, and Papi batting in the 7th spot....Thanks.

EDIT: HAPPY BIRTHDAY Caniac23! :)

Thanks TSA. I was utterly SHOCKED when the Sox scored 6 runs in that inning, and also shocked to see Buchholz running as well for Tek. This series almost seems more important than the Yanks/Sox series coming up in a couple of weeks. Yanks still doing great so far, let's see if both teams can hold their own until they meet up again.

Does anyone think the Nationals are going to sign Stephen Strasburg before Monday's deadline? Considering he has Boras' as his "advisor", not "agent". Boras and Strasburg are looking between $12M and $30M signing bonus and who knows what they want for a contract. Yeah, Strasburg can throw 100MPH fastball, he hasn't proven anything in the majors and he is facing hitters who can catch up to those type of pitches. I don't think it will get done myself, plus the Nats don't like to spend that type of cash. The only player on that team who has a long term deal is Ryan Zimmerman.

I heard on XM that Boras was trying to use Dicek as the comparable. If he is, he's comparing his young and unproven client to an overpaid and overvalued older pitcher sitting on the LTIR...not too smart if you ask me. The Nats should sign him because they need a franchise guy like that to build around and create a buzz, but I wouldn't mortgage the entire team over it.

Tito, please keep Buccholtz on the mound and off the base paths, and Papi batting in the 7th spot....Thanks.

I think everyone's hearts might've skipped a beat when Buchholz went for that head-first slide into home. You're not supposed to do that, Clay! At least Buchholz didn't reach for the plate with his pitching hand. Unless he's pitched in some road interleague games, that was probably the first time he's run the bases since high school.

Re: Strasburg. I don't think the Nats can afford to not sign him. Rightly or wrongly, he's been incredibly hyped up, and the Nats couldn't sign their first round pick last year either. It would be a tough sell to their fanbase, what little of it there is, if they let that happen two years in a row.

I think everyone's hearts might've skipped a beat when Buchholz went for that head-first slide into home. You're not supposed to do that, Clay! At least Buchholz didn't reach for the plate with his pitching hand. Unless he's pitched in some road interleague games, that was probably the first time he's run the bases since high school.

Re: Strasburg. I don't think the Nats can afford to not sign him. Rightly or wrongly, he's been incredibly hyped up, and the Nats couldn't sign their first round pick last year either. It would be a tough sell to their fanbase, what little of it there is, if they let that happen two years in a row.

Listening to the NESN post game last night, I think it was Papi (?) that said that Buccholtz was one of the best runners on the team so it didnt suprise him to see Tito use him as a pinch runner.

I still think too much could have gone wrong, and I dont mean him just getting thrown out at the plate.

Agreed Warbird, the Nats need.....something.....anything....to spark that fanbase.

C23: Hope you did domething fun today. Not sure if you started back at school yet down there :)