The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

TSA, well, it has been an eventful day. Went and had lunch with my wife, her brother Byron, and her brothers old girlfriend, Jen, from 16 years ago, and I think the sparks are still there (which is what we hoped). I invited her back to our place to have dinner and play a game (scattegories or something) with my father in law, brothers in laws, the nieces, and so on. She said she would like that, but would have to check her schedule, her kids schedule, etc.... went over to my moms, and got a little ice cream cake, and some cash/cards. Went home, after straightening up the house, ex-girlfriend came over.... continuing on now at 12:47 in the morning. Jen and had a great time, but shortly after Byron got a call from a friend saying his other ex girlfriends, (the mother of his children) house was swarmed with 7 cop cars, ambulance, fire truck, and police with shot guns. They broke into the house, and that was all she knew. We took a ride over there, and saw 1 officer with a man, typing information into their computer. We didnt want to stop and ask if anything as going on, considering we aren't very welcome at the house.

We called Byron back and told him all that we knew/saw, and while on the phone, police came to his house, and had to talk to him. Come to find out his ex overdosed on pills, and the room-mates 12 year old son found her on the bed half on half off, not breathing. We went to By's house, and tried comforting him, condolences and all, and find out shes in critical condition. We go home, try to relax, my wife gives me a couple of birthday cards, etc etc... and we get another call. Hospital found her mom (who lives in California), and discusses whatever they discussed. The mom called Byron, explained that she is indeed brain dead, and asked him to be there when they pulled the plug. So now we're at my brother in laws house, while his 6 year old and 3 year are sleeping, while he gathered some toys, pictures, etc and headed out to the hospital with his father/my father in law.

Now, this woman has caused nothing but heart break, pain, anger, and hatred with myself, my wife, Byron, and the kids. She has manipulated Department of Children and Families here in Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Tennessee, and I'm sure other states. She has managed to get medicare for herself and the kids, food stamps, and every other kinds of aid possible, all the while SELLING food stamps for 30 cents to the dollar, or buying expensive items, returning them for cigarettes and alcohol. And whatever spare cash she has, she ALWAYS finds a way to buy/get ANY kind of prescription pill possible. Prozac, Vicotin,Oxycotin, seizure medicine, EVERYTHING possible.

I feel no remorse for this woman, but at the same time, I really feel bad for the girls who will grow up not knowing their mother (not knowing her better I should say), for Byron, who probably harbors guilt of What ifs, what if I stayed with her and got her help, or did this or that.. Be it as it may, I'm sorry, but I'm not sad that she is gone. I'm sad for the kids and Byron, but not because shes gone. The eerie part....

For WEEKS I've been saying "What a birthday gift it would be if Cissy got whats coming to her." or "I wish someone would take her out for my birthday" and things of that nature. :(:o

Could Buccholz finally be maturing into what we all thought he'd be??!! It looks as though the offense has heated up a bit, but who knows how long it will last this time.

Also big news for Sox fans, but Jerry Remy will FINALLY be returning to the booth of NESN on Friday. I for one like Eck a lot, but Remy is Remy and all Sox fans know what I'm talking about!

Both the Dodgers and the Angels, the two MLB teams near my home, are doing decently right now, but things could change for both of 'em in a heartbeat. I don't feel comfortable with either club, as iffy as they are, putting only three and a half games of space between themselves and the teams in second in their divisions. :unsure:

Jan/GSBG

Sox claim Wagner off waivers

The Red Sox are the team that claimed Mets reliever Billy Wagner off waivers, an MLB source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney Friday.

The Mets have until early Tuesday afternoon to work out a deal. The Red Sox would have to assume about $3.5 million still owed to Wagner. If no deal is consumated, the Mets can either allow Wagner to leave on the claim or pull him back off waivers. If the Mets pull Wagner back, they would no longer be able to trade him this season.

Wagner's contract includes a no-trade clause, but New York-area newspapers reported Thursday that Wagner would not make that an issue.

"You want to win a World Series, that's for sure," Wagner said, according to the New York Post. "If I'm fortunate enough to be asked to come and join a team that has a great chance to win the World Series, that is something that definitely I'd think about."

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported Thursday the Mets would likely have to eat some of Wagner's salary in order to recieve a viable prospect in return for the reliever.

Wagner pitched for the first time in nearly a year Thursday after undergoing Tommy John surgery Sept. 10. He struck out two and threw 14 pitches in the eighth inning of the Mets' 3-2 loss to the Braves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4415035

Well the offense is still hitting well.......but we need to pull a John Smoltz on Brad Penny as soon as possible. I mean the guy was literally throwing all fastballs to a power hitting team. How this made logical sense to anyone is beyond me. Lester/Buccholz/Beckett have been great lately, Tazawa has looked good for being a legitimate rookie and we have to have someone in the minors that could fill in for a the remainder of Penny's starts, Bowden, Byrd, etc. None of them could do as bad as Brad Penny has done lately.

EDIT: I just looked and apparently Wakefield had a good start tonight so it'd be great to see him back soon. I've given up on Dice K ever trying to come back on board.

Who in the world was playing the Yankees last night because if it was the Red Sox, the Sox must have had their Triple A team out there but they got their butts handed to them. Allowing the Yankees to score 20 times last night. It seems the Yankees are trying to make the saying come true, big money throw at big name players will buy you a Championship.

Hopefully the Bad Penny show had its final performance. Whatever Wake can muster up has to be better than the fast balls tossed up and over the center of the plate that Penny was serving up. The Yanks really handed it to the Sox last night but if Im the Yankees, I wouldnt be too happy about giving up 11 runs. Take away Bad Penny's innings and it might have actually of resembled a baseball game. Poor Michael Bowden, he got "Billy Trabered" and took one for the team. He was optioned back to Pawtucket today so hopefully that means that Wake is being activated.

Im not feeling much better about Tazawa today but since its highly unlikely the Sox will be able to catch the Yanks, Id rather have swept the Jays and work on keeping ahead of the Rangers and Rays for the wild card. If they can stabilize the rotation with actual MLB quality pitchers, I still like their chances for playoffs.

At least dirtdogs is keeping it light:

Just a Flesh Wound

BDD_mp_flesh_5.3.jpg

King Arthur: [after Arthur's cut off both of the Black Knight's arms] Look, you stupid fool. You've got no arms left.

Black Knight: Yes I have.

King Arthur: *Look*!

Black Knight: It's just a flesh wound. -- from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I knew it would be a matter of time before Burnett got burned. He's been great for us, so I knew a crappy outting was going to come sooner or later. Looks like he's calmed down at least, but he needs support, FAST. Sergio Mitre was awful last night. When I checked the score, it was 20 to 4, 7, something like that. And then when I saw it this morning, 20-11. In the 9th, giving up 4 runs or so.

Edit: Burnet gives up another homer to Ortiz. Let Burnett stay out there and finish the game, save our bull pen for a tight game tomorrow between Beckett and Sabathia (hopefully)

Its amazing what can happen when your starter actually pitches decently. I stand by my thougts, if the Red Sox can sort out the starting pitching issues (Wake and DiceK), I like their chances in the playoffs.

Good for the young kid Tazawa and nice to see him get the win against an offensive beast.

Wake back in Wed, hopefully he's ready. Tomorrow should be a barn burner for a rubber game. I wish I could be there :(

If we can get Wakefield back soon and have him pitch like he did before the AS Break then I would love our chances to take the WC and make some noise in the playoffs as well with a 2 headed monster with Beckett/Lester. Even though Buccholz and Tazawa have had some recent success we really need that veteran presence in the rotation down the stretch. It would be nice to see Dice K come back, but to be honest you never know what the hell you're gonna get out of him. I honestly wonder if Dice K has watched any of Tazawa's starts and seen what happens when you attack batters a little bit and stop nibbling around the zone.

Beckett/Sabathia should be an AWESOME game tomorrow night. I really want to get back to Fenway sometime soon and like TSA said, this one would be an amazing one to go to.

Tomorrow will be interesting indeed TSA. Let's see if Sabathia can do a better job than Burnett did today, hopefully anyway. If he gives up 3 or less runs, with at least 6-7 innings pitched, well done then.

Oh man, it's going to be a game tonight. the All or nothing Rubber Match (now now)... CC vs Beckett. The Aces are wild tonight.... let's see how Sabathia can handle himself tonight.

RedSox are throwing out all the righties against CC. Papi and Drew out, Lowell and Baldelli in.

1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF

2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B

3. Victor Martinez, 1B

4. Kevin Youkilis, 3B

5. Jason Bay, LF

6. Mike Lowell, DH

7. Rocco Baldelli, RF

8. Jason Varitek, C

9. Alex Gonzalez, SS

-- Josh Beckett, SP

Molina is catching CC. Posada looked off yesterday, maybe he's nursing an injury? Good break for the Sox having Posada out. Any chance they could sit Matsui?:)

1. Derek Jeter, SS

2. Johnny Damon, LF

3. Mark Teixeira, 1B

4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B

5. Hideki Matsui, DH

6. Nick Swisher, RF

7. Robinson Cano, 2B

8. Melky Cabrera, CF

9. Jose Molina, C

-- CC Sabathia, SP

Bad Penny officially replaced by Wakefield, VMart will catch him till the Sept 1st roster expansion deadline will allow Kotaras to come back up.

Penny will be our new Masterson and serve as a long reliever till they re-evaluate how Wake/Tazawa/Dicek are doing.

Smoltz pitched his first game as a Cardinal - 5 innings pitched, 0 runs and 9k's <_<

That is all... see you at 8pm ;)

I saw Smoltz doing well in his first outing with the Cards.... maybe it's a NL/AL thing?

Hoping for a great game. Lot's ok K's, homers, great fielding, etc...

Anybody see this? I admit I don't follow ESPN much, so I don't know much about Buck Showalter, but he sounds like a complete idiot from this article. His proposal is about as drastic and unnecessary as tearing down and rebuilding a house over a broken window.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/notebook?page=bbtn

How about just balancing the divisions and going back to playing divisional opponents 12 times a year? Problem solved, and it avoids spitting in the face of over 100 years of league tradition, contraction for a non-business reason, and alienating an entire league's fanbase.

Beckett got shelled....oye.

Now I become a Yankee fan for a few days, please beat Texas.

asucaniacmike, I read something about that too. I like your idea.

I also heard they were looking into revamping the whole draft process since none of the smaller teams have been able to draft and sign high end talent because of money. They were talking about doing what the NBA and the NHL does have a set pay schedule so it could level the playing field for all teams.

Even though I'm a fan of a big market/high dollar team. I kind of agree that things do need to be leveled out so some of the smaller markets have at least a chance to draw good talent. Being able to draft and sign is only step 1 though, the teams will be separated by who can develop their talent and make them MLB ready.

The problem with the draft as it is now is that you can't trade draft picks.

The Nats, blessed (read: cursed) with the #1 overall pick, now have to invest XX millions of dollars into a potential savior pitcher who may or may not save the team. Huge investment. One guy. ZERO major league innings pitched. (Hell, zero MINOR LEAGUE innings pitched.)

Now... imagine what Washington could have secured via TRADING the pick (i.e. the rights to Strasburg) to a big market club who can afford to make such a risky investment. Future picks, stud prospects, maybe even someone who can help the team right NOW. But no, Washington is forced to make the pick (and really, if they don't take the phenom pitcher, they're idiots) and forced to make the investment... or else they get NOTHING.

And yeah, Red Sox/Yankees would mean SO much more if they only played six times a year. Of course, if this ever happened, the league would implode on itself or something. Other than that, Showalter's idea was moronic. I prefer Costas' idea outlined in Fair Ball.

The Yankees buying a championship caliber team approach may finally be working out for them. If Beckett doesn't get whatever has ailed him his last two starts ironed out then I don't see the Sox putting up much of a fight against them in a possible playoff scenario. We need Beckett to get right. His location was terrible last night with belt high fastballs and hanging curves. Thankfully Penny won't start again for the foreseeable future so there won't be any guaranteed losses. I really liked the way we made CC work last night and normally 4 runs for Beckett is enough, but for some reason he's just lost it the last 2 games.

On the Wagner front though I'd like to get someone like that because with the extremely short starts by Penny/Smoltz our pen has been taxed beyond belief. However if he is going to demand a closer's role or something to set himself up financially for next season then I say no go on that and just hope that our current rotation can give the pen some much needed rest.

Although a Yankee fan, I'm not a huge fan of the over spending. CC did well for us last night, but who's to say home grown talent Hughes, Joba, Kennedy couldn't have done that if they were brought up properly and not rushed into the oven, ya know? I'm all about getting an Ace who will guarentee (almost) a victory and help the bullpen rest, But CC and AJ are going to get burned up sometimes, or hurt (please no Pavano's!)

Scott Kazmir to the Angels :o:blink:

Per mlbtraderumors, nypost, ESPN....

This is GREAT news for Sox, HORRIBLE news for Yanks. Kazmir was the Sox killer, and the Angels ALWAYS beat the Yanks somehow when it comes to the Playoffs lately. :(

I guess I kind of understand why they traded Kazmir. It looks like they've thrown up the white flag for this season to be able to have the money for their big name guys. The Rays can't afford to pay a 4th or 5th starter the millions he's due and he's not going to beat out Garza, Sheilds and Price. It has to be pretty disappointing for that locker room and pretty tough to stay motivated.

The Red Sox have a chance to shut the door on the Ray's season and return last year's favor but can they do it, they haven't been able to beat them all season. If the Red Sox can take 2 out of 3, they could start to run away with the wild card but even if the Rays sweep, the Red Sox can play .500 ball the rest of the way and still stay ahead of them according to Buck Martinez.

Penny to the Giants. Good for him, he'll be back in the NL against the Dodgers. John Garland to the Dodgers in retaliation, this is going to get interesting.

Roster expansion today will see OF's Joey Gathright (our new Dave Roberts) and Brian Anderson added to the big club. Michael Bowden, Jed Lowrie, Junichi Tazawa, Marcus McBeth and Josh Reddick are probables to be added.

well mike, angels will probaly beat sox in first round anyway :), plus i want to beat both the angels and sox on way to world series, then we would have EARNED IT.. Dinz