The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

well mike, angels will probaly beat sox in first round anyway :), plus i want to beat both the angels and sox on way to world series, then we would have EARNED IT.. Dinz

1st round will likely be Yanks/RedSox if everything stays as it is.

What on earth are they doing with Joba now? 3 innings and he gets pulled? Are they being overly cautius or is he being transitioned to the bull pen? I dont know how this kid keeps his head on straight.

Woof! Last night we got dogged big time. Doc showed us why he's The Doc. And if they're really going to do this *edit* with Joba, throw him in the pen, or just let him work. 3 innings isn't work for this guy. I would say put Hughes back as a starter, but his confidence might start to slip. Geez.

1st round will likely be Yanks/RedSox if everything stays as it is.

Teams from the same division aren't allowed to meet in the first round, iirc. We're probably on another collision course with the Angels.

I heard DiceK is making a rehab start tomorrow night in Winston-Salem, for any interested folks who live out that way.

Teams from the same division aren't allowed to meet in the first round, iirc. We're probably on another collision course with the Angels.

I heard DiceK is making a rehab start tomorrow night in Winston-Salem, for any interested folks who live out that way.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that rule. I think you've had to remind me about that the past couple of years :ph34r:

Just what the Sox needed, the O's at Fenway.

Sox offense has looked great lately. The one problem we have is that we need 2 aces in order to beat the Yankees. Beckett has looked better in his last two starts, but it is still concerning he went from a top candidate for the Cy Young to what he's done lately.

Congrats to Jeter, he's a classy guy and hard nor to like even though he's a Yankee.

Completely overlooked is Ichiro who has has 200 hits in each of the last 9 seasons.  Thats pretty amazing and breaks an 85 year old (I think thats what I read) record for all of MLB.  Pretty amazing.  This poor guy needs to play for a contender at some point, then maybe what he's accomplishing will get noticed.

So are we looking at all the playoff teams being set right now?  I think so.

Angels/Red Sox series will very interesting this week.

Huge loss for the Red Sox to KC last night.  Even though the Yanks lost too, the Sox have one more loss to add to their loss column so it'll be harder to push for the division title now.  They pretty much have the wild card wrapped up but Im feeling greedy and want the Sox to take advantage of the Yanks pitching woes. 

CC has been great but AJ has become inconsistent and both Joba and Petite have fallen off the charts.  Beckett seems to be getting it back, Lester is Lester and both Bucholtz and Dice K look like they can make a good case for the 3rd starter when the playoffs roll around.  Still plenty of games left but the playoff teams look pretty set right now.

And what on earth is going with the Rays?  I heard that they're now talking about trading Carl Crawford AND BJ Upton in the off season to unload salary.  Are things that bad down there?  I know attendance was pitiful, especially coming off of the World Series last season but why would they trade 2 core players?  I thought the Kazmir trade was suspect enough.

testing testing here..Had a lot of problems toward the end of last year..got where i could not post and somtimes log on.

Lets hope this year will be ok for me..

Go Canes Go...

testing testing here..Had a lot of problems toward the end of last year..got where i could not post and somtimes log on.

Lets hope this year will be ok for me..

Go Canes Go...

You're in.  Im going to delete this now since this is the MLB thread. PM me if you have anymore trouble.

A few thoughts on baseball:

1) The upcoming Yanks-Sox series should be thrilling and desperate, as one team is sliding and the other starting to catch on. But because of the wild card, it won't be as exciting as it could be. Both teams will make the playoffs, yawn.

2) My Twins are closing in on the Tigers, although it will be tough to steal the division lead from them. Either way, the central has really stunk it up this season, so whoever wins gets to face the...AL East champion Yankees (or Red Sox, I think). Wow, who's gonna win that series? And that's another thing, why does the central champ ALWAYS face the east champ? There have been some solid Twins teams this decade, and none survived when having to play the Yanks. Grrrrr.

3) Joe Mauer should absolutely be the AL MVP this year, no questions asked. But I have a terrible feeling someone else over in New York will get the vote...I won't say his name though. I'll be highly pissed if it does happen. So mark that day down as a big one.

Ok, rant over. Although this wasn't supposed to be a rant haha.

A few thoughts on baseball:

1) The upcoming Yanks-Sox series should be thrilling and desperate, as one team is sliding and the other starting to catch on. But because of the wild card, it won't be as exciting as it could be. Both teams will make the playoffs, yawn.

2) My Twins are closing in on the Tigers, although it will be tough to steal the division lead from them. Either way, the central has really stunk it up this season, so whoever wins gets to face the...AL East champion Yankees (or Red Sox, I think). Wow, who's gonna win that series? And that's another thing, why does the central champ ALWAYS face the east champ? There have been some solid Twins teams this decade, and none survived when having to play the Yanks. Grrrrr.

3) Joe Mauer should absolutely be the AL MVP this year, no questions asked. But I have a terrible feeling someone else over in New York will get the vote...I won't say his name though. I'll be highly pissed if it does happen. So mark that day down as a big one.

Ok, rant over. Although this wasn't supposed to be a rant haha.

1) Yeah, when we blew that six run lead to the Royals the other night, normally that would've been panic time for sure. But as things are right now, I just shrugged it off pretty easily. As soon as it ended, it was just "oh well," and on to the next one. Although it'd be pretty disconcerting if we get swept by the Royals.

2) When the wild card team comes from the same division as the team with the best record, as has often been the case when the Yankees and Red Sox both make the playoffs, then that team with the best record instead will play the division winner with the weakest record. Thus you end up with the Yankees playing the central winner almost every year, and probably again this year.

3) Mauer should be the MVP and Greinke should win the Cy. I think it'd be nuts if either of those didn't happen.

The NL Wild Card just might go down to the last day if the Braves continue to play like they have been and the Rockies play inconsistent baseball.

As most of you know, I am a huge Braves fan, this team has gotten hot at the right time, making that run and making the Rockies very nervous. I don't know but it seems the Rockies put it on cruise control when it came to the Braves, especially when the Rockies had a 5 1/2 game lead over them.

Go Braves smile.gif 2 games out 6 games to go....  I give 1 chance in 5 to make it....

I don't think anyone really expected the Sox to come back to take the East after that awful start after the AS Break.  There is a good chance we could see a Sox/Yanks ALCS, but the Sox will have to deal with the speed attack of the Halos and the Yankees the 1-2 punch of Verlander/Jackson.  I wouldn't vote Beckett for the Cy this year though, he was terrible in August.

Thanks Texas....yawn.  Backing into the playoffs isn't very exciting but we're in I guess.

Greinke for the Cy Young, no contest.

Good for the Durham Bulls.  Tough call to root for them because they are the team that feeds the Rays, but its hard not to like the local team.

If the Red Sox cant keep the Halos off the base paths, they could be done very quickly.

Thanks Texas....yawn.  Backing into the playoffs isn't very exciting but we're in I guess.

Greinke for the Cy Young, no contest.

Good for the Durham Bulls.  Tough call to root for them because they are the team that feeds the Rays, but its hard not to like the local team.

If the Red Sox cant keep the Halos off the base paths, they could be done very quickly.

Hello TSA long time no see.  I agree on your statment. The sox must be proficent at keeping the Angels off

base.  I would say NO Varitek in this series. He cant throw out anyone and is looking pretty bad at the dish.

on the flip side, my Dodgers cant get that 1 more win. They will still win the NL West, but if they dont

get healthier, its one and done in the playoffs.  I just hope for more. (yes you all hate Manny and I do too, but I love the rest of my team with the young talent and good pitching).  We shall see.  Go Red Sox and Go Blue

Hey Medford, I was wondering when you'd jump aboard this new mess....I mean new message board. wink.gif

Sadly I think Tek is done.  His defense is horrid and his offense is MIA. He can still call a game like no other but if he cant throw anyone out, he's a disaster to the pitcher he's calling for.  I think what happened for Beckett's last start was with VMartinez becoming the new full time catcher, Beckett just wasn't ready to make the transition from Tek to VMart without a few more bullpen sessions.  Of course that's just my own conspiracy theory.

Your Dodgers will be fine and their young talent is exciting to watch.  Funny how quiet Manny has become since his "outing", I guess it makes Joe Torre's job easier to have Manny quiet.  Its just a matter of time....

I don't have a good feeling about the playoffs for the Sox because although they're playing good baseball, they're still having trouble finding any consistency and for some reason, certain pitchers are just shutting them down with no rhyme or reason.  We're very spoiled with our teams in Boston, maybe its just not their year but Im holding out hope. Strange things happen in the post season.

I think Sabathia could make a case for the Cy Young as well. But, thats probably because I'm a Yankees fan. :)
I didn't think there were any other Yankee fans on this board.

I don't know how long I've been posting (after the Cup? I forget lol), but I've always lurked in the MLB forum of the Canes message board. :)

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

caniac23']I think Sabathia could make a case for the Cy Young as well. But, thats probably because I'm a Yankees fan.
:)

I didn't think there were any other Yankee fans on this board.

C23 has been with us for a long time, he's one of the few good Yankee fans laugh.gif

Who wins Twins or Tigers?  What a great race to the finish, I think the Twins pull it off Tuesday.