The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Yankees sign CC Sabathia-(not confirmed yet) 7-year, $161 million deal :o

Nick Cafardo-Boston Globe

One GM I passed outside in the hallway indicated, "I'm sorry. If that's true, it's just crazy. Seven years for a pitcher?"

That's right. The Yankees have always had money to burn and have been burdened with big contracts that are eventually useless over time. But they are the Yankees. Sabathia is a terrific pitcher, the best in the game right now. He's lefthanded. But his big body worried every major suitor and others around the game even though he's been amazingly durable.

"As he gets older, he's not gonna get skinnier," said the GM.

Sabathia is the type of pitcher who could pitch anywhere, but the heat will be turned on in New York just as it has been on Johan Santana, who responded very well to the pressure and had himself an excellent season. Sabathia flourished in the National League with the Milwaukee Brewers, pitching even better than he did for Cleveland, where he won the American League Cy Young in 2007. So why make the move back? In the end, he rejected Milwaukee's 5-year, $100 million deal.

The Red Sox were never serious about Sabathia, though they met with him at the meetings to tell him they were impressed with what he's done in his career and that they would have interest if things fell apart elsewhere.

The deal was surprising in that Sabathia sat on it for weeks, an indication that he really didn't want to go there. He wanted to pitch close to his home in California. Last night, Giants general manager Brian Sabean gave all indications that the Giants were likely not going to be suitors for him. The Angels have Teixeira as their No. 1 priority. The Dodgers have to do something with Manny Ramirez and the McCourts are on record as saying that in this economy it didn't make sense to spend those kinds of dollars.

But Yankees GM Brian Cashman flew to the California to meet with Sabathia and his wife late yesterday and evidently the addition of another year to the original six-year deal, making Sabathia's wife feel comfortable with New York, was the convincing detail.

Hey in my opinion they can have him. All CC said was that he wanted to go back to the West Coast, so all this shows is that he's in it for the money and nothing else. Unless the Yanks can sign 2 or 3 more very solid pitchers, their rotation is still a glaring weakness. Also who really knows if he will succeed. He pitched his best ball last year when he realized he was in a situation to get a huge contract after being traded. He also has never been a very good post season performer.....and I think he Yanks have signed a lot of the regular seasons studs and playoff duds in the last few years.

The Mets started the offseason in a big way by addressing their major concern though. They've started off on the right foot.

Yanks are still after Burnett and Lowe, and possibly Sheets. I hope they Lowe. Eats 200 innings, and has the mentality to play in New York and Boston, and the playoffs. Burnett hasn't done bad forhimself either in the playoffs... I'm just hoping Cano, Melky, and Arod can turn this new year around from last year. And that Swisher, if he stays as the new 1st baseman, can have a good year as well...

I know, thats alot of hope :blink:

Yeah I'm not too worried about CC. Most of these big FA pitchers flame out. Doesn't mean CC will, I want to see how he holds up pitching the AL East every game. Plus he'll never hold up pitching that workload he did with MIL last year. He threw 253 innings last year, no way he can keep doing that.

I know with the Yanks signing CC to that ridiculous contract, and with also Burnett and Lowe possibly being signed as well, I know it's only a matter of time being Evil Empire are thrown around again... I use to trade for Burnett in EA's MVP games when he was with the Marlins years ago, but anyway...

It will be VERY interesting to say the least if the Yanks sign all 3, and the crash and burn their 1st time at the new Yank stadium... I wonder how they'll take it.

Mark Teixeira - ANA

MLB.com says the Orioles have made an offer to free agent Mark Teixeira and "have survived a back-and-forth process with agent Scott Boras as to the slugger's final asking price."

Reports have indicated it's for $150 million over seven years. It'd be quite a slap in the face for the Orioles if Teixeira ended up becoming a Nat. Staying with the Angels or joining the Red Sox would be understandable, but he should prefer Baltimore to Washington as a destination and the Orioles would have the money to make it happen if they really wanted to.

Please Theo, get it done. I have a feeling it wil be at the expense of Mike Lowell though.:(

And if Theo pulls this off, he'll be my hero:

Eric Byrnes - ARZ

The Diamondbacks and Red Sox are reportedly discussing a trade of Eric Byrnes and Julio Lugo.

This makes a lot more sense for Boston than the Tigers talks, though they'd have to have some idea that Byrnes is willing to be a fourth outfielder in order to make the deal. Byrnes is owed $22 million over the next two years, while Lugo is due $18 million. If acquired, Lugo would take over as the Diamondbacks' second baseman.

C23, the Yanks needed to make a splash and get CC but Im afraid that deal is going to start looking real ugly aftter the first couple of years. Im not too worried if they also pick up AJ Burnett (which it sounds like they might) but I'll be disappointed if they get D Lowe too. He's a Hatfield and not a McCoy, lol.

And here's a couple quotes of the day: :lol:

"We’re not the Red Sox,” Cashman said, a reference to the team’s use of owner John Henry’s private plane during negotiations with Daisuke Matsuzaka two years ago. “They certainly are not, thank goodness!” Red Sox president Larry Lucchino responded in an e-mail to the AP. -- 12.11.08, Boston Herald

I personally think that Tex is overpriced and a bit over-rated. I would rather keep Lowell because I feel he'll bounce back, but if we don't get Tex and Lowell flops due to his hip injury, we'd really be screwed so I can see the big time logic in this one.

If the Yanks sign Lowe for 4 years at that price they'll be over spending enormously, but if they sign Sheets for a really expensive deal that is almost like throwing money away.

I personally think that Tex is overpriced and a bit over-rated. I would rather keep Lowell because I feel he'll bounce back, but if we don't get Tex and Lowell flops due to his hip injury, we'd really be screwed so I can see the big time logic in this one.

If the Yanks sign Lowe for 4 years at that price they'll be over spending enormously, but if they sign Sheets for a really expensive deal that is almost like throwing money away.

Well the latest I just read is that the Yanks are the front runner for Burnett. Wouldnt that be karma if he ended up on the injured list like Pavano, lol.

I really want Teixeira because he's the only logical replacement to Manny and I want D Lowe back because I dont trust that Wake will stay healthy all season. Apparently the Red Sox are also talking to John Smoltz:

John Smoltz - ATL

The Red Sox have had discussions with representatives of free agent John Smoltz, according to the Boston Herald.

The Red Sox are on Smoltz's short list of teams he'd like to land with this offseason. He might not be ready to pitch until May and is thought to be asking for a deal around $10 million. That might be too risky for the Sox, especially if they sign Mark Teixeira. ESPN's Peter Gammons, however, believes a deal could get done, noting that the Red Sox give more rest to their starters than most teams, which would suit the 41-year-old Smoltz.

Sox also unvieled some new away uniforms and alternate unis and hats. The alternate unis of the last few years (red ones) were cool, but I can't remember them ever winning in them so I'm fine with replacing them. I really the alternate hats though. The away jerseys though...I'm not crazy about. It looks just like the ones from the 70s/80s. Really bland and boring in my opinion.

Sox have offered Tek a 2 year deal and if I'm Boras/Tek I'd jump at it. A 2 year offer is all you'd get for a catcher with quickly diminishing offensive skills and nearing 40.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...bO6HBwD950T0201

New "Hangin' Sox" for BoSox...

TSA, I think Teixeira will go to Boston, Angels, or Nationals. Either he wants a contender or he wants money.

I think Yanks will sign Burnett, hopefully he'll be healthier than Pavano was lol... but they won't go after Lowe then, maybe Sheets on a 2 year deal if Pettitte says no as well. This is what baseball is really all about. ;)

Sox unveil new road uniforms and alternate jersey

http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/

I do not like the new "old" road jersey. I always

hated the Blue lettering they are the Red Sox not the Blue Sox

as a Kid I hated them and hate them just as much now.

the alternate road jersey is passable IMO.

Why not keep it as it is. the look won two World Series

right? Is it all about marketing. I guess so.

Glad my Dodgers dont mess with this stuff too often.

Sox unveil new road uniforms and alternate jersey

http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/''>http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/' target="_blank">http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/[/post]

I do not like the new "old" road jersey. I always

hated the Blue lettering they are the Red Sox not the Blue Sox

as a Kid I hated them and hate them just as much now.

the alternate road jersey is passable IMO.

Why not keep it as it is. the look won two World Series

right? Is it all about marketing. I guess so.

Glad my Dodgers dont mess with this stuff too often.

Ewww. Like the Sox need more merchandise $. Half the country is wearing a "B" :rolleyes:

The "new" hats look like a couple in my closet right now :rolleyes:

Ewww. Like the Sox need more merchandise $. Half the country is wearing a "B" :rolleyes:

The "new" hats look like a couple in my closet right now :rolleyes:

The hats dont bother me as much as the blue lettering. Like I said

I loved the red ones and hated the blue ones as a kid.

My favorite jersies were from my youth

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/auc/0f9ez3Qi66CA/386x539-fisk.jpg?auAmqsLB_mVaDv.2' target="_blank">http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/auc/0f9ez3Qi66CA/...uAmqsLB_mVaDv.2[/post]

and Carl-Yastrzemski-Photograph-C10107139.jpeg

Yes 70s but what I grew up on and loved the "Red" not the "Blue"

I like the current home unis, dont mess with them please lol

The hats dont bother me as much as the blue lettering. Like I said

I loved the red ones and hated the blue ones as a kid.

Yes 70s but what I grew up on and loved the "Red" not the "Blue"

I like the current home unis, dont mess with them please lol

Agreed. The RED Sox should have RED lettering.

The Red Sox without a B on their hat is sacrilegious.

Mets trade for JJ Putz, hopefully he can stay healthy

Hopefully Quince for you he can. Now lets root for KC this week because

we dont want the Bills at Broncos to decide the AFC West right :P:lol:

Burnett reaches agreement with Yanks

Contract with free-agent right-hander reportedly worth $82.5 million

ATLANTA -- A.J. Burnett entered the free-agent market with a "buyer beware" tag and exited it counting the riches the Yankees will provide him over the course of the next five years.

Furthering their massive rotation-reconstruction process, the Yankees have apparently won the bidding for Burnett. ESPN.com and SI.com reported late Friday afternoon that the 31-year-old right-hander has agreed to a five-year, $82.5 million deal.

Before the deal becomes official, Burnett will need to pass a physical and the two parties will have to iron out some terms of the offer.

While luring both CC Sabathia and Burnett to The Bronx in a span of three days, the Yankees have significantly upgraded their starting rotation with a pair of hurlers whom many consider to have been the most appealing options on the free-agent market. They've done so at a combined cost of approximately $243.5 million.

After landing Sabathia on Wednesday, the Yankees began their aggressive pursuit of Burnett and immediately erased the belief that the Braves would eventually win the bidding for the 31-year-old veteran hurler, who notched a career-high 18 wins and led the American League with 231 strikeouts this past season.

While the rotation-reconstruction process has gone smoothly for the Yankees, the same can't be said in reference to the Braves, who were believed to be willing to provide Burnett with a five-year, $80 million offer.

Over the course of the past two months, the Braves have proven unsuccessful in their determined efforts to bring Jake Peavy and Burnett to Atlanta to serve as their ace. They now find themselves looking at a thinner free-agent market that is now highlighted by Derek Lowe, who may find himself as Yankees general manager Brian Cashman's next primary target.

Motivated by the fact that his club missed the playoffs for the first time since 1993, Cashman has cornered the top available free-agent starters. With Sabathia he gained the top prize, and with Burnett he appears to have landed what might be the most profitable gamble.

During his eight full Major League seasons, Burnett has completed 200 innings just three times, totaled as many as 30 starts just twice and made 10 trips to the disabled list.

Whenever money has been on the horizon, Burnett has found a way to be both healthy and productive. Of the three seasons during which Burnett completed 200 innings, one preceded his first arbitration-eligible season and the other two came when he had an opportunity to test the free-agent market during the ensuing offseason.

Still with electric stuff that some have compared to that of John Smoltz during his younger days, Burnett drew tremendous interest from both the Yankees and Braves, ironically a pair of teams that just said goodbye to Carl Pavano and Mike Hampton, a pair of pitchers who are resident experts of life on the disabled list.

Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, says that his client is as healthy as he's been since undergoing Tommy John elbow reconstruction surgery in 2003. Statistically, it's currently hard to argue with this assessment.

While making a career-high 34 starts for the Blue Jays this past season, Burnett went 18-10 with a 4.07 ERA. Fueling the interest that he gained this offseason was the fact that he went 9-2 with a 2.72 ERA and 113 strikeouts in his 15 starts after the All-Star break.

5 years!!!! Whoa, good signing now but later..... I guess some things never change.

CC, Burnett, Wang, Joba/Hughes/IPK.... possibly Sheets or Pettitte. This will either be repeat of 2003/2004 offseason, or genius. I'm hoping for the latter.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12142008/sport...eira_144124.htm

Man, I hope they do but don't. I do NOT want Manny here with the Yanks. Just ridiculous. Even if Arod thinks he's the greatest, the certainly doesn't flaunt it as much as Manny. Teixeira would certainly be an upgrade of Giambi and Swisher, and a better hitter as well, but at that price... I dunno. We've got an aging Jeter, and it's showing, Cano who slumped last season, Swisher possibly with who knows, and Arod... it's an odd year, so he's due to do good. OF consist of Damon, Matsui, and Cabrera and Nady. Money and Age.... I dunno anymore.

GO RAYS!! :P

Man, I hope they do but don't. I do NOT want Manny here with the Yanks. Just ridiculous. Even if Arod thinks he's the greatest, the certainly doesn't flaunt it as much as Manny. Teixeira would certainly be an upgrade of Giambi and Swisher, and a better hitter as well, but at that price... I dunno. We've got an aging Jeter, and it's showing, Cano who slumped last season, Swisher possibly with who knows, and Arod... it's an odd year, so he's due to do good. OF consist of Damon, Matsui, and Cabrera and Nady. Money and Age.... I dunno anymore.

If Manny joined the Yanks, calling them the "The Bronx Zoo" again would be an understatement.

I know I'm late to the Sox uniform discussion, but I've never understood why this franchise has a fascination with blue on the road jerseys, both in terms of the lettering and the socks. I've always thought the red looked better since they switched from blue to red in '03 I believe it was. We're the Red Sox, we should wear . . . red socks. Even though I'm not old enough to remember 1986, that's the first thing I think of when I see those jerseys.

Braves expecting to ink Furcal

Tentative three-year deal would include vesting option for 2012

ATLANTA -- The Braves are looking forward to the opportunity to once again place Rafael Furcal at the top of a lineup that will likely also include both Kelly Johnson and Yunel Escobar.

A Major League source confirmed Tuesday morning that Furcal and the Braves have tentatively agreed to the terms of a three-year contract that includes a vesting option for the 2012 season.

But Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, said Tuesday afternoon that his client hasn't agreed to anything yet. This could simply be a case where Kinzer wants to allow the Dodgers one more opportunity to increase their bid for the 31-year-old shortstop that they've employed for the past three seasons.

The Dodgers have previously been hesitant to provide Furcal with a guaranteed three-year contract.

"We're still talking," Kinzer said. "We haven't signed anything or come to an agreement. I told Furcal [Monday night] to sleep on it. I didn't want him to make an emotional decision."

Kinzer confirmed that the Braves should currently be considered the favorites to win the bidding for Furcal, who has always longed for the opportunity to return to Atlanta, where he spent the first six seasons of his career (2000-05). With a three-year contract offer that includes a vesting option for 2012, he now has the chance to be reunited with some of his former teammates and manager Bobby Cox, who he's always considered to be a father figure.

As of early Tuesday afternoon, Furcal was still in his native Dominican Republic. Thus he likely wouldn't be able to undergo a physical in Atlanta until Wednesday.

Furcal can't officially accept the Braves' offer until he passes this physical and proves that his back is physically sound. The veteran shortstop missed most of the final five months of the regular season this year with a back injury that was surgically repaired on July 3. He didn't return to the Majors until Sept. 24.

Where Furcal would be positioned defensively in Atlanta remains to be seen. But the Braves have no intention to trade either Johnson or Escobar. Instead, they are planning to move Johnson back to left field, a position he played before moving to second base before the start of the 2007 season.

The opportunity to have both Furcal and Johnson in their lineup proved more appealing to the Braves than any of the options they were evaluating in their search to find a power-hitting outfielder.

With Johnson, they feel they have a player capable of hitting 15-20 homers. Matt Diaz could also see some time in left field.

There's reason to believe Furcal could play second base and Escobar will remain at shortstop. Playing second base could prove less taxing on Furcal's back.

While previously playing for the Braves, Furcal hit .284 with a .348 on-base percentage and 189 stolen bases. The Braves haven't had a player record more than 17 stolen bases during any of the three seasons that Furcal has played for the Dodgers.