The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

I thought you were a Cubs fan huh.gif
I am. Born and bred in Chicagoland. But after living in NYC/Jerzy for 10 years I became a Yankees fan. Proud to say I've heckled Ricky Henderson from the bleachers. I'm one of those confused souls who has a NL team and an AL team. IF they would ever meet, I'd drop the Yanks like a hot potato. Fickle, I am.

After the Lester injury against the Yanks towards the end of the year I knew we'd have to pull off a great offensive effort to make up for a less than 100% Beckett and Lester.  It sucks, but the one time we've had a healthy Beckett heading into the postseason, we've won the WS.  Papelbon's arm troubles may result in us parting ways with him sooner rather than later.  He changed his delivery in the offseason to accommodate his shoulder issues and his location is off big time and his velocity is down.  With Texeira choosing the extra millions in NY, we really didn't have a consistent offensive power threat.  If Lars isn't the answer as a power hitting 1B in the very near future then I'd look at trading him in some big package to get a desperatley needed middle of the order bat.  Bay, Drew, and Papi are threats, but much too inconsistent to give us a WS caliber offense. 

Clay looked good today and the Yankees always have trouble in Anaheim, but they've actually spent their $200 million well this year, so that offense could be the end to their trouble in Anaheim......GO ANGELS!!!

Wow, who knew Ivy was a Yanks fan? lol I can't wait for Friday and Saturday. Hopefully we can get a great start before heading out to the West coast. The West coast games are really going to be a killer, trying to stay up and watch those, lol. smile.gif

yanks take   game one,   sabbatia is lights out, and angels made 3  errors, which is unlike them, not sure if game 2  will be played tonight with  rain and all    go yanks!

It was a very strange move.  He looked like he was throwing beach balls to the plate. Angels have been in every game. This series is far from over.  Game 4 is going to be very important

wow, no one mentioned game 5?   sciosa    makesa  blunder...  couldnt believe he took  his ace out lackey[could be in sox  uniform next yr]  yanks out  comeback with 6  run 7th,  but joba and my   man hughes give it up, hughes  ball ended  up lower than expected , posada  had mitt high..   mathis beats us GAIN..  AJ  PITCHED WELL  after   4 runs in first,  then walks  first 2  in 7th.. i full expect  yankees to wrap it up at home, maybe sunday nite, supposed to   rain  all day into night   in  new    york.on sat.  could be blessing in disguise , bring  back    CC    sunday nite, swisher  has been a  no show

but    milkman and cano are starting to hit...   bullpen needs to get in order.. dinz

They're still playing baseball?  j/k wink.gif

That was a great game last night if you're a baseball fan.  Very impressed with the Angels resiliency, that's the Angel team I expected to see all series.  If I'm a Yankee fan, I'd be seriously questioning Girardi's pitching moves.  The one weakness the Yanks have is in their bullpen and twice now its been exposed only not by the other team, but by their own manager.  I wonder what the future holds for Joba.  Is he a closer, set up guy or starter?  He sure doesn't know.

I still think the Yanks win it but I'm hoping it'll go to 7 for the entertainment value.

bullpen was good till  this series, dont know whats wrong  with hughes.... joba  all screwed up.... get 7 from  andy tomorrow nite then mo for 6 outs

The silver lining to the Canes losing: I didnt have to watch the Yankees win the AL Pennant....tonight.

great effort by dandy andy, joba gets 2  outs, and mo shuts  them down.. now the turnpike series... philles and  yanks!  wahoooooooooooooooo     makes for  mishaps lately of   canes

Well, congrats to you Yankee fans.  It was inevitable based on the way the Angels really played some bad baseball the first few games.  I thought they were good enough to take it 7 but all those errors in the first couple of games really cost them.  As a baseball fan, I hope the WS comes down to a game 7.

Now, its time for Theo for to go sign John Lackey. wink.gif

Boston ought to shorten their pre-season. They sure fizzled out quick. But what else is new.

Woooooooooo wink.gif

Isn't this your first post ever in the MLB thread?

He's a Yankees fan and proud of it

In a locker room generally over-run with Red Sox fans, including the coaches and front-office folks, Cam Ward has shown a lot of courage.

He proudly wears a blue baseball cap with "NY" on it.

Yes, the goaltender from Western Canada is a big New York Yankees fan. He also has his chest puffed out a little bit more with the Yankees back in the World Series and playing the Philadelphia Phillies.

Why the Yanks?

"The story is my grandfather was a huge Yankees fan, actually," Ward said. "He passed away during the lockout year, and I said that on his behalf I would start cheering for the New York Yankees. That's the story.

"I feel this is the year. I feel this is the year we're going to do it."

Ward said is favorite Yankee is pitcher CC Sabathia. Then again, he also likes catcher Jorge Posada.

"We have something in common being the back catcher," Ward said, smiling. "And he's been there for so long. He's one of the originals."

"Originals" meaning the Yankees who have been around since the 1990s and won championships, that is.

Sad, really.  laugh.gif

In a locker room generally over-run with Red Sox fans, including the coaches and front-office folks, Cam Ward has shown a lot of courage.

Yes, the goaltender from Western Canada is a big New York Yankees fan. He also has his chest puffed out a little bit more with the Yankees back in the World Series and playing the Philadelphia Phillies.

Why the Yanks?

"The story is my grandfather was a huge Yankees fan, actually," Ward said. "He passed away during the lockout year, and I said that on his behalf I would start cheering for the New York Yankees. That's the story.

Ward said is favorite Yankee is pitcher CC Sabathia. Then again, he also likes catcher Jorge Posada.

"We have something in common being the back catcher," Ward said, smiling. "And he's been there for so long. He's one of the originals."

"Originals" meaning the Yankees who have been around since the 1990s and won championships, that is.

Sad, really.  laugh.gif

Submitted by chipalexander on 10/27/2009 - 14:15

Why the Yanks?

well, nobody's perfect

well u  sox    fans  must be happy this morn. cliff lee   lights out,   utley 2 homers, CC kept yanks in, bullpen implodes...   6-1    phils win, must win tonight,  burnett??  not sure, but think   yanks  will  hit  "yanks are my daddy"pedro...  

Mariano doesn't disappoint, a 6 out save? ohmy.gif

That was a good game but its obvious that Girardi doesnt trust his bullpen anymore, and is afraid of making another mistake.  I bet he took some heat over a few decisions hes made.  Off to Philly....this could get interesting.  I bet the Mets fans are all wondering why they didn't get THAT Pedro.

the city of brotherly love for 3.. ha    well joba   will  be first,  out of pen, i still say  hughes affects  series ina positive way.. lee  isnt pitching till  game 5,andyp against hamels    tonight    sure those cray philla fans will be  fueled and dressed up for halloween..  burnett awesome game 2, and pedro  pitched great too

The Philly faithful are getting to Petite.  Philly is all over the Yanks right now, can Mariano pitch 5 innings?