The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

The Philly faithful are getting to Petite.  Philly is all over the Yanks right now, can Mariano pitch 5 innings?
No but he can get 2 batters out in the bottom of the 9th.

[quote name='OBXer wrote:

TSA']The Philly faithful are getting to Petite.  Philly is all over the Yanks right now, can Mariano pitch 5 innings?

No but he can get 2 batters out in the bottom of the 9th.

Ok, I'll give Petite lots of credit for that one.  WHen he had 51 pitched coming out of the 2nd inning I thought he was going to have an early night.  He was able to settle things down and go deep.   Grrrr, the highlight of this whole day is the Twix bars in my kids candy stash.

Philly had CC but Johnny Damon saves the day in the 9th.  If Damon did that for my team he'd be a hero, gotta hand it to him.

Philly had CC but Johnny Damon saves the day in the 9th.  If Damon did that for my team he'd be a hero, gotta hand it to him.

Didn't he used to do this for your team?wink.gif

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

TSA']Philly had CC but Johnny Damon saves the day in the 9th.  If Damon did that for my team he'd be a hero, gotta hand it to him.

Didn't he used to do this for your team?wink.gif

Yeah, but for some reason my team thought he was old and on the decline and let him walk to their team rolleyes.gif

Time to get this series over. I need to concentrate on hockey. Geez. Come on Yanks.

Over??? It's the offseason now. Time to watch who goes where for how much. Buster Olney from ESPN thinks many teams will let many young good guys walk because they'll ask for too much. Jeremy Hermida was traded to the Red Sox. I always felt he was a pretty good OF with some pop, but the Sox got to him first. Time to see how things are handled with Damon, Matsui, Pettitte, etc etc etc...

Congrats to our Yankee fans here. smile.gif

Now onto the John Lackey sweepstakes...  will the Yanks make a run for him and Bay?  Probably.

Welcome to Hot Stove season, only 5 months till opening day!

Joe Girardi wins the WS then runs across three lanes of NY traffic to help a car accident victim.

Hate the yankees, but that oozes character.

yeah yankeesssssssssssss        cant see   yanks  going after lackey, looks like   joba back to starter, dont agree  , and hughes   to starter, but if   pettitte

stays on i would put joba in  pen...   giraldi to wear   number 28, sure  shelby dumcan wont  mind ha...  the universe is back on its axis now smile.gif

IDK about the Yanks going after Lackey... He's 31 years old now... CC is 29, AJ is 32... We have... who again? Joba, Hughes, Kennedy (yeah, lol) We'll have to see. Pitching and OF options are what we'll look for this off season.

Winter meetings set to begin...

Red Sox sign a SS, but will he make it for his whole contract?

Marco Scutaro - TOR

According to ESPN.com's Buster Olney, Marco Scutaro's two-year deal with the Red Sox is worth $10 million in base salary.

Scutaro will be given a $1 million signing bonus. The deal also contains an agreement for 2012 that will either function as a $6 million club option, a $3 million player option or a $1.5 million buyout. Essentially, it's a two-year, $12.5 million contract. The Red Sox are expected to officially announce the deal with a press conference Friday afternoon.

What I want to know is, who is Roy Halladay going to pitch for in '10, and in '11. While I kind of hope the Yanks can trade for him, I don't enjoy giving up Hughes, Joba, or Montero. Austin Jackson was our next ready prospect, but I guess we have an older version with Granderson, who at least has power.

I guess the Yanks could always sign him for 10 years, 500 million. Sure, we'd be great the first 2 years of that contract, but you know... the whole getting older thing, losing your stuff.... I guess all the t-shirts with the Yankees logo and the name Halladay in the back would make up for it all. wink.gif

Scutaro is an upgrade at SS, but he's still a bit of a gamble since he's 34 and just had a career year.  

Also Mike Lowell has just been traded to the Rangers for Max Ramirez.  I would love to keep Lowell at DH and somehow get out of Ortiz's contract, baseball wise I think that makes more sense because Lowell can still hit, he just can't play third anymore.  Considering the fact that we have V-Mart at catcher and Mauer is on the market next year (when we have a TON of money off the books) I think this is setting up a bigger move.  Theo has to know that getting Beltre would be a waste of money.  He had one good batting year and can play good defense, and they're talking 4 years and mega bucks for him right now.  I hope we get a big 1B or 3B in a trade and resign Bay right now.  With V-Mart at catcher for a whole year and Scutaro instead of Green/Gonzo at SS we should improve offensively a bit anyway, hopefully Ortiz can pick the average up again and hit for power like he did in the 2nd half of last year.

Wow. What an offseason. Yanks get Granderson, Sox get Lackey and Scutaro, Mariners get Lee, Phillies get Halladay, Angels get Matsui.

Seattle is looking like a contender this year. Chone Figgins for speed and defense along with Cliff Lee. Little pieces followed by 1 big piece. Nice move for all teams so far.

Sox still need to pick up some offense.  We've got some pieces to dangle, I wonder if the Lackey signing now makes Buccholz expendable?  I think Lackey is a solid signing, but he has struggled at Fenway before.  I love Lowell, but we need to try and flip Max Ramirez somewhere in a deal for some offense at either 1B or 3B.  If we could only give up either Kelly or Buccholz for Gonzalez with other prospects then I'd be fine with it, but I'm a bit hesitant to give up both.  I think we should at least give Lars Anderson a bit of a shot in ST.  He was supposed to be a stud, but didn't fare too well last year.

Add in Mike Cameron for a gold glove out in the field.  I wonder if this signing means the Jason Bay talks are over.  If so, I'm willing to bet the Yanks swoop in for the kill. dry.gif

Very happy Figgins, Halladay or Cliff Lee didn't end up in the Bronx. 

I like that we picked up a great chemistry guy, but I wish we had a power bat in LF instead.  Unless this team trades for Adrien Gonzalez then not signing Bay or Holliday will absolutely baffle me.  We need to trade for a big power bat at 3rd or 1st now.  I just hope we can somehow avoid giving up Buccholz.  Our rotation should be great, but we really need some more offense. 

Haven't heard much about Holliday, I'm sure St Louis will try to sign him but I haven't heard about other teams being in the hunt.   Its been awfully quiet in the Bronx.  Mike Cameron sounds like another Sean Casey type locker room guy.

I hope they dont trade Buccholtz, he really looked good late last season.

The Red Sox really need a big hitter.

Mike Cameron is officail now and just as I suspected, the the Globe is reporting the Yanks have contacted Jason Bay's agent. dry.gif