The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Yeah if I'm the Sox I try to hang onto Buccholz and deal guys like Kelly, Anderson, Bowden, Tazawa, Kalish, etc.  If Anderson is never going to develop into the power hitter they thought he'd be then give him a change of scenery, Kelly is a great pitching prospect, but if we have a rotation that is young and everyone (aside from Beckett although a deal could be done to resign him if he has a good season) is signed for a few more years then we can restock our pitching in the minors by the time we need more of them.  Also our rotation is now a full out 6 men so we'd likely have to do something either with Buccholz or Dice K since I don't see us moving Beckett, Wake, Lester or Lackey.................

Yankees will NOT go after Bay. He's a defensive liability in LF. Holliday would be a nice upgrade, especially the bat, but after seeing how he botched the Cardinals post-season, and the fact that he'd command another large contract. I'd like to wait until next season to shell out more large contracts, especially with such potential free agents Joe Mauer and Cliff Lee.

Besides, sign nick Johnson for the short porch in right to hit homers, or trade for Adam Dunn. Him in YS would deliver huge homeruns, but his K's would be another matter.

And BTW, I'm really hoping we can draft this Bryce Harper kid. This kid looks pretty incredible, and I'm hoping he can put up some great numbers at the major league level.

Red Sox are reportedly making another offer to Bay, should be interesting.

To all our resident Sox fans courtesy of the Globe's bostondirtdogs.com: (you Yankee fans will get a chuckle too)

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the Nation,

Finger pointing, frustration… the Mike Lowell situation;

Our Red Stockings were hung by the Yankees last year,

Now Cashman’s wheeling and dealing for a repeat title next year;

Theo Epstein was nestled all snug in his bed,

While visions of low risk, short-term deals danced in his head;

Werner in his ascot, and Lucchino in his Hanging Sox cap,

Had just settled their brains for a long winter’s nap,

When out on the ice there arose such a clatter,

Public skating today?… Did a scalper’s wallet get fatter?

Away to Yawkey Way we flew like a flash,

Tore open the gates, …then we heard a big crash.

The Citgo sign on the crust of a 4-day-old snow,

Gave luster to the fallen object by the blue line below,

When, what to our wondering eyes should appear,

John Henry, with skates on, but sprawled out toe to ear,

Watching was his young wife, so lively and slick,

We knew in a moment, Henry tripped on his stick.

Less rapid than a Zamboni, he called them by name,

John whistled, and whispered, he wanted the Bruins to start a game:

"Now, Wheeler! now, Ryder! now, Krejci and Recchi!

On, Wideman! on, Begin! on, Chara, put Bitz in!

To the center ice line! And let’s see a good brawl,

Now dash away! I’ve got cash to make! Slash away all!

So how ‘bout those Red Sox, will Lackey win the Cy?

And have you seen his wife Kristin? John must be quite the guy;

But who’ll start at first base? Who’s our new guy at third?

Will we miss Jason Bay? Should we give his agent the bird?

And then in a twinkling, we heard a fan screaming

At his prancing and pawing, she thought she was dreaming.

As she drew in her head, and was turning around,

Down the runway our new first baseman came with a bound.

His hair was so long, it grew over a foot,

And his jersey was all dirty with pine tar and soot;

His old number 18 was stamped on his back,

He bought it off Dice-K as soon as he unpacked.

His eyes—how they twinkled! His dimples how merry!

His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!

His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,

And the beard was back on his chin don’t cha know;

Then next spring in Ft. Myers, with his deal signed and sealed,

With new sunglasses on, he strolled out on the field;

He takes off his shirt, the girls started to scream,

He smiles just like Johnny, a pink hat fan’s dream.

He spoke to the media , and went straight to his work,

He went into the cage; he worked on a quirk;

Then he turned on a ball, his arms coming around,

a loud crack of the bat, the ball took off with a bound;

It’s our old friend Johnny, Damon’s bat was so quick,

Balls lined one by one, looks like he's made out of brick

He was signed for three years, Theo finally had to bite,

To bring back the ’04 spirit, we’ll see The Idiot every night!

And there stood Matsuzaka, finally fit and trim,

The $103.1 million man found his way to the gym;

Cam showed up early and looked ready to play,

He won’t make us forget Manny, and he’s not afraid of the K.

And then just like before, Ortiz made the ball fly,

Dustin grinded away, Youk hit hard line drives;

With Jacoby in center, And Marco at short,

They're fine up the middle, still need run support;

J.D. had the old stroke back, when he hit ‘em they flew,

They all batted around, Mike Lowell too!

The crowd sprang to their feet, to the team gave a whistle,

V-Mart circled the bases, Lester threw another missile;

A new year is upon us and our Olde Towne ballclub,

"WHO NEEDS ADRIAN GONZALEZ! PENNANT FEVER STILL GRIPS HUB

I would've LOVED to have Bay back, but he's
too inconsistent to sign for this much money in a long term deal.  He's
a great guy and I wish him all the best, but I'm happy the Sox didn't
splurge another 60 million on him.  I would much rather save that for
next offseason when real bidding wars will open up.  The Mets better do
something this year with that number 2 payroll they'll have or heads
SHOULD roll in NY.

I would've LOVED to have Bay back, but he's too inconsistent to sign for this much money in a long term deal.  He's a great guy and I wish him all the best, but I'm happy the Sox didn't splurge another 60 million on him.  I would much rather save that for next offseason when real bidding wars will open up.  The Mets better do something this year with that number 2 payroll they'll have or heads SHOULD roll in NY.
His bat will be missed but this made me feel a little better:

Theo Epstein took the money he could have spent on Bay and spent it on John Lackey. He decided to invest in pitching instead of offense. Only 162 games will determine whether that was a smart move.

But beyond that, the decisions the Sox have made this winter have left them with four extra high draft picks in June.

The Red Sox now control the No. 20 pick (from the Braves for Type A free agent Billy Wagner), two first-round sandwich picks (for Wagner and Bay) and the second-round pick of the Mets. The first-round pick of the Mets, No. 7, was protected from being lost as compensation.

The Sox lost their first-round pick (No. 29) to the Angels for Lackey and their second-round pick to Toronto for Scutaro. But they still will have four of the first 50 picks or so depending on where the other Type A free agents sign.

Those picks give the Red Sox plenty of options. They can take a gamble on a high-ceiling high school kid. Or they can make a trade in July knowing they just added four solid prospects to their system. Or they can hold onto all their prospects.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/12/losing_bay_will.html

I know he's inconsistent but I thought Sox fans loved him when he was there?

I like the Mets getting Bay, fills a big void in the weak lineup from last year with that power.

Sox fans did love him, but we need a consistent power bat right now. His power outage during the summer really hurt the team when we needed someone to step up - and it was an absolutely epic power outage.

I know he's inconsistent but I thought Sox fans loved him when he was there?

I like the Mets getting Bay, fills a big void in the weak lineup from last year with that power.

Congrats Quince, JBay is an official Met now.  He'll be missed in Boston because not only was he a classy guy but now we have nothing to show for losing Manny (which I still agree was the right thing to do at that time).  He's an amazing fast ball hitter and rarely misses but the off speed breaking balls are his nemesis and his strike outs will be frustrating to watch when he hits a slump.  He'll still manage to put up huge numbers and have an outrageous OBP but the $ and years were a big commitment, even for him. 

Thanks for not letting the Yankees get him and good luck to JBay in NY.

Update: Adrian Beltre is officially the new Red Sox 3rd baseman, at least for 1 year.  Looks like the Sox will be buying into "your best offense is a good defense" theory.

I hear Ft Meyers is a little better wink.gif

Opening Day:  Less than 3 months away

Pitchers and catchers report:  In 1 month

woot.gif

And the steroid stories continue.  Carlton Fisk has some harsh words for Mark McGwire and Roger Clemens:

"You don't blame people for not ratting them out; you blame the people who abused the pharmaceutical world," Fisk said. "It's not like you are taking a couple of aspirin and you don't know what's going on. (Non-prescription steroid use has been) a federal offense for a long time, regardless of whether baseball was recognizing it and putting rules into place. The people who did it … they were breaking the law to start with. It doesn't have to be a baseball law. They knew what they were doing and the reason they were doing it. Now they are sorry because they are getting called out."

"(McGwire) says, 'Well, it doesn't help eye-and-hand coordination.' Well, of course it does. It allows you more acuity physically and mentally and optically. You are going to be stronger and you are going to be better," said Fisk, who starred for the Red Sox and White Sox.  "Some of these numbers that are out there are really warped. Should they be considered? You saw how McGwire was viewed in the Hall of Fame voting. If you take the length of time that (steroid abusers) use that stuff and subtract 15 or 20 home runs a year for those guys, where are their numbers then?"

"The reason [Roger Clemens] got let go from the Red Sox was because he was starting to break down. His last couple of years in Boston just weren't very productive, a la 'The Rocket.' Then all of a sudden he goes to Toronto and he wants to show somebody something. Then he gets two consecutive Cy Young Awards (in '97 and '98). Come on, give me a bucket."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0120-mitchell-fisk-mcgwire--20100119,0,1301492.story

Happy Truck Day to all the Red Sox fans out there.

590_truck.jpg

Pitchers and catchers have reported, opening day coming woohoo.gif  

hey tsa, heard on truck day, sox  truck was passed  by the yankee   van on 95  at a alarming rate   laugh.gif

hey tsa, heard on truck day, sox  truck was passed  by the yankee   van on 95  at a alarming rate   laugh.gif

Haha, it begins......

heard russell branyen could be headed to the  red sox, that would be a great pickup by u guys, make up for lack of having Bay

heard russell branyen could be headed to the  red sox, that would be a great pickup by u guys, make up for lack of having Bay

Who?

Haven't paid much attention to what other teams are doing except my Braves. All I can tell u all is the Braves' #1 prospect, Jason Heyward has caused the Braves to put netting at their ST facility due to his monster HR that land in the parking lot behind the stadium. It seems he is denting vehicles and has already busted out the Asst. GM's Sunroof, causing $3400 worth of damage.

Here is the link, there are two pictures, one shows where he is hitting the ball and the other is where he has dented someone's truck.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff...=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

Remember Heyward is only 20, has added 20 lb's of muscle to his frame.

Glad he's in the National League ohmy.gif

Red Sox signed infielder Nomar Garciaparra to a one-day contract,allowing him to formally retire as a member of the organization.

Garciappara,36, formally submitted his retirement papers on Wednesday morning andwill join ESPN's "Baseball Tonight" as an analyst for the 2010 season.He will leave behind a .313/.361/.521 career batting line, 229 homeruns and 936 RBI over 5,596 major league at-bats. Mar. 10

"I've always had a recurring dream, was to be able to retire in a RedSox uniform, and thanks to Mr. Henry, Mr. Werner, Mr. Lucchino, andTheo and the Red Sox organization, today I do get to retire, I get tofulfill that dream and retire as a Red Sox. Earlier today, I did sign a minor league contract, with theorganization once again. I was getting choked up then, I'm choked upnow. I've got the chills, but to be able to have that dream come true,I really just can't put it into words because what this organizationhas always to me, meant to my family, the fans, I always tell people,'Red Sock Nation is bigger than any nation out there.' And to be ableto say I came back home, and to be back to Red Sock Nation, is truly athrill... it's good to be back."- Nomaaaaaaaaaaaaah Garciaparra

Red Sox have the 10 year requirement in place to be able to have your jersey retired at Fenway, Nomar only has 9 years. I wonder if they'll make an exception for him? 

Jed Lowrie leaves camp with mysterious illness.  I hate to say it but it may be time to give up on this kid.  I hope he's ok and its nothing serious but I dont think the Red Sox can wait much longer for him to develop.  Thank goodness they signed Marco Scutaro in the off season. Could we finally see some stability at SS?

In other sad news, rookie Ryan Westmorland was diagnosed with a brain illness and is heading to AZ for surgery.  Prayers are with him for a speedy recovery.  This kid is a huge part of the future for the Red Sox.

Big Papi has gone 1 for 19 with 6 SO's and 0 RBI's.  Anyone else hoping we hang onto Mike Lowell to be the DH if needed?

I don't have a good feeling about extending Papelbon but I do think Theo gets a long term deal done for Josh Beckett.

Only 21 days till opening day!

I didn't know Papi was doing that badly.  He supposedly showed up in great shape and after his 2nd half last year I was hoping for him to return to form this year.  I'd hang onto Lowell as an insurance policy right now.

Good luck to Westmoreland!!  Hope he gets well soon.