The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

The team released a statement earlier this evening,which said in part:"Following the five-hour procedure, Westmoreland remains in theintensive care unit but has come through the surgery well. Due to thecomplexity of this surgery, Ryan will face a difficult period initiallybefore beginning his recovery."

Glad to hear he made it through fine, sounds like the road ahead will be a challenging one.

Jed Lowrie has been diagnosed with mono so hopefully he'll be able to rebound in a few weeks.

What is up with DiceK?????  Is he ever fine?  Maybe he'll throw batting practice soon. :rollseyes

The RedSox are fielding almost a full line up today against the Mets.  Jacoby will be the only missing piece out with an throat virus, Marci Scutero with hit lead off.   Lets see what Lackey can do with the full cast of characters behind him.

Pedroia quote of the day (and there are many): laugh.gif

"Hey Lackey, I heard you signed here for the minimum just so you don’t have to face me anymore."

go   yanks.. i like to see this left and right   picther  make it.. ventresse or something like that?Any one know if web the older career minor leaguer has a chance? thanks

go   yanks.. i like to see this left and right   picther  make it.. ventresse or something like that?Any one know if web the older career minor leaguer has a chance? thanks

dintz, sorry but I dont follow your Yanks too closely laugh.gif

Looking forward to opening night, Beckett vs Sabbathia.   Beckett is about to sign an extension but they need one more big bat.  Something tells me the leash won't be long for Papi this season so the first month of the season could be very interesting.

I enjoyed that game last night.wink.gif

Beckett worries me some though, he's been really inconsistent since '07.  Same goes for Ramon Ramirez.  Lights out in the first half last year and hasn't been the same pitcher since.  The entire lineup (other than Papi and Ellsbury) contributed tonight.  Hopefully without one huge superstar in the middle of the order we can get more efforts like this one, a full team effort.

I enjoyed that game last night.wink.gif

Wow, that game did not disappoint!  It had all the makings of the epic battle the media builds up for weeks leading up to the games.  From the opening lineups with the huge ovation for Mike Lowell, Pedro throwing the first pitch and making Johnny Pesky cry, the "Miracle" speech by the YuTube kid, Beckett falling apart in the 2nd, the dirtdogs fighting back to get back in it, Yanks double steal, CC hitting the wall in the 5th, all the new players for both teams making big contributions, Pedroia's 2 run blast, Youk's triple, Texieria staying quiet, the back and forth of the score, what exactly are the new Joba rules?, the Red Sox never looking back after finally taking the lead in the 8th, Neil Diamond singing the worst rendition ever of Sweet Caroline (but still cool nevertheless) and Papelbon getting his first of what could be one the biggest saves of the season.

44__1270427116_7799.jpg51__1270429723_7638.jpg54__1270431585_3744.jpg49__1270429009_7597.jpg38__1270424645_0351.jpg37__1270424464_0233.jpg40__1270425342_8964.jpg20__1270441423_7348.jpg14__1270437262_2673.jpg7__1270430554_7240.jpg

He was safe wink.gif

Welcome to Fenway Park Mike Cameron, Marco Scutero and Adrian Beltre!  woohoo.gif

The Red Sox are my silver lining to the Canes being done for the season.

Papi has me worried too but I have a feeling Theo already has a plan B.  But I'm rooting for Papi to pick it up.  Ellsbury will be fine, lets see how Beckett does next weekend.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

rollinsox007']I enjoyed that game last night.
wink.gif

Wow, that game did not disappoint!  It had all the makings of the epic battle the media builds up for weeks leading up to the games.  From the opening lineups with the huge ovation for Mike Lowell, Pedro throwing the first pitch and making Johnny Pesky cry, the "Miracle" speech by the YuTube kid, Beckett falling apart in the 2nd, the dirtdogs fighting back to get back in it, Yanks double steal, CC hitting the wall in the 5th, all the new players for both teams making big contributions, Pedroia's 2 run blast, Youk's triple, Texieria staying quiet, the back and forth of the score, what exactly are the new Joba rules?, the Red Sox never looking back after finally taking the lead in the 8th, Neil Diamond singing the worst rendition ever of Sweet Caroline (but still cool nevertheless) and Papelbon getting his first of what could be one the biggest saves of the season.

Welcome to Fenway Park Mike Cameron, Marco Scutero and Adrian Beltre!  woohoo.gif

The Red Sox are my silver lining to the Canes being done for the season.

Papi has me worried too but I have a feeling Theo already has a plan B.  But I'm rooting for Papi to pick it up.  Ellsbury will be fine, lets see how Beckett does next weekend.

So I turned it off after the 5-1 lead, watched Sound of Music with my daughter (who insists that Nanny in the Eloise movies just CAN'T be Julie Andrews), and when I turned the game back on anticipating at least a 7-3 score I get quite the shock.

The Yanks lost the first 8 meeting with the Red Sox last season. And last year CC Sabathia first outing was HORRIBLE.....and we all know how last season turned out for those Darn Yankees. The went 9-9 against the Sox and won this nice trophy

new-york-yankees-world-series-champions-mariano-rivera-derek-jeter.jpg

(Left to right: Posada, Jeeter, Rivera = 16 consecutive seasons together this year. A record.)

Left to right: Posada, Jeeter, Rivera = 16 consecutive seasons together this year. A record.)

I saw that announced on NESN late last night during the post game.  Its an all time record which includes MLB,NFL, NHL and the NBA.  Very impressive indeed.

So which one is it, Cubs or Yanks? laugh.gif

Round #1 goes to the Yanks dry.gif  Granderson looks like hes going to be a huge pick up for Cashman.

Lackey looked great but could use a little run support....and there's Mike Lowell sitting patiently on the bench.

I know it is only 3 games, but Ortiz hasn't looked good. The guy at least used to walk some too, he is swinging at some awful pitches. Mikey Lowell needs some time in DH soon IMO. Lackey looked really good, but Papelbon looked like last year's version of Paps - not good control, fastball down a few MPH's and not using other pitches effectively.

for anyone not sure theres no t in dinz....sad.gif

Sorry dinz, my bad.

Twins win in the new ballpark, gorgeous as it is. I have got to get up there and see it! Excited about the season...although some of that is due to the 'Canes playing golf so early.

[quote name='TSA wrote:

ivyleager']Left to right: Posada, Jeeter, Rivera = 16 consecutive seasons together this year. A record.)

I saw that announced on NESN late last night during the post game.  Its an all time record which includes MLB,NFL, NHL and the NBA.  Very impressive indeed.

So which one is it, Cubs or Yanks? laugh.gif

Both. Cubs in the NL, and the Jankee's in the AL. Recently I've been cheering alot more for the Yanks.

Home opener today for the Yankee's. I think they get to pick up some bling today.smile.gif

Nice ceremony and rings for the Yanks.  Glad to see Mastui got the standing ovation from the fans.

20100410_RINGS_JP_020132831--415x500.jpg

Ok, no more complements for the Yankees, it just doesn't feel right to me laugh.gif

Nice ceremony and rings for the Yanks.  Glad to see Mastui got the standing ovation from the fans.

Ok, no more complements for the Yankees, it just doesn't feel right to me laugh.gif

Yes, it was nice to see Matsui.....weird in that uniform, though. Very weird. That must be what it was like when Gretzky wore the Kings jersey.

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

TSA']

Ok, no more complements for the Yankees, it just doesn't feel right to me
laugh.gif

Yes, it was nice to see Matsui.....weird in that uniform, though. Very weird. That must be what it was like when Gretzky wore the Kings jersey.

...or when Johnny Damon wore the pinstripes. dry.gif

[quote name='TSA wrote:

ivyleager wrote:

TSA']

Ok, no more complements for the Yankees, it just doesn't feel right to me
laugh.gif

...or when Johnny Damon wore the pinstripes. dry.gif

Or The Babe.....laugh.gif

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

TSA wrote:

ivyleager
']Yes, it was nice to see Matsui.....weird in that uniform, though. Very weird. That must be what it was like when Gretzky wore the Kings jersey.

...or when Johnny Damon wore the pinstripes.
dry.gif

Or The Babe.....laugh.gif

You win, I concede.  smily1011.gif

The Red Sox 2010 season is starting to feel a lot like the Hurricanes 2009-10 season  help.gif.

not enough offense, and sending youk the other nite, kinna a panic move.. lester will probaly come through.. rays   yanks  8-3.. dog fight all year i think..

Woo hoo!  A rain out is exactly what was needed today.

So aside from opening night our offense has not been able to hit good pitching, and now it looks like Lester has no idea what he's doing.  Then this whole run prevention thing by getting good defensive players has gone to hell also.  Theo may need to shake up this roster much sooner than I think he wanted to.  eek.gif

[quote name=rollinsox007]So aside from opening night our offense has not been able to hit good pitching, and now it looks like Lester has no idea what he's doing.  Then this whole run prevention thing by getting good defensive players has gone to hell also.  Theo may need to shake up this roster much sooner than I think he wanted to.  eek.gifNothing about this team has looked good since opening night, I can't even blame Papi for the woes.  I agree, its really early but a shake up of sorts may be needed to wake this team up.  They may not be an offensive juggernaut but they're better than how they're playing.  The defensive errors are mind boggling.  I do think that once the pitching settles in, the rest of the team can relax a little but that won't answer the offensive questions.  There may be a ton of games left to play but you can't dig a big hole in this division and expect to climb back in it.

Happy Patriots Day to anyone who knows what that is. laugh.gif   Good luck to the Boston Marathoners!  Please, no sweep for Lackey.

Hope you had a nice day off today dinz, I miss those MA holidays  smile.gif

The bad news:  Even John Lackey has had a Fenway meltdown now.  Ugh.

The good news:  A friend and his 2 sons ran the marathon for the first time ever today and they finished in under 4 1/2 hours  woohoo.gif