The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Ugh, this is like groundhog day.  The Red Sox are the 2009-10 Hurricanes, are now sending players to the DL and beginning the callups from Pawtucket.  Hopefully this means I have a better second half of the season to look forward to ....but it could also mean I watch them climb back in to fall short.

Aarrg.gif 

Some have speculated that V-Mart catching hurts his batting.  I'd have Tek play a bit more behind the plate.  Also I don't know if V-Mart is trying to call games himself like Tek could, but whatever is happening with him catching our pitchers can't throw to him.  

If we're gonna start calling people up then I'd like to see Lars Anderson get a shot.  It seems the Sox can develop everything, but a power hitter.  We need a power hitter, let's try and get Anderson some AB's if we end up going the route the 'Canes did this year.  Either hope for that or start shipping people out because whatever we did in the offseason isn't working.

I haven't read much about Martinez but I found this about Larz Anderson:

Lars Anderson homered, doubled and walked twice in Double-A Portland's doubleheader on Sunday.

Anderson's stock tumbled in a big way as he hit .233/.328/.345 in his first year at Portland, but he's off to a nice .294/.368/.559 start in 34 at-bats this season. He's still one of the AL's top first-base prospects, though some would argue that he's fallen behind Anthony Rizzo among those in the Red Sox system.
Apr.

Mike Cameron is heading to surgery for a strained abdominal muscle (at least Staal's didn't need surgery) and he'll be out for a month.  Josh Reddick is in:

Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe heard from a source Tuesday that Josh Reddick will be called up to replace the injured Mike Cameron.

Darnell McDonald is hitting the cover off the ball at Triple-A Pawtucket, but the Red Sox obviously feel that Reddick is a better fit for the big club's needs. Reddick, 23, hit .404 in 57 at-bats this spring. He's likely to see a handful of starts while Cameron rehabs an abdominal strain.

Jacoby Ellsbury is still days away so maybe we'll see both?

I have a neighbor who is a HUGE Orioles fan, that's all he follows in sports. He said this was gonna be the year they surprise everyone and make the playoffs. Now I don't really follow Baseball that much but I couldn't believe my ears when he said that. I mean, they haven't made the playoffs since, when, 1997?

Poor guy getting his hopes up like that. He's now back to chanting "Free the Birds"

[quote name=captain_jack88]I have a neighbor who is a HUGE Orioles fan, that's all he follows in sports. He said this was gonna be the year they surprise everyone and make the playoffs. Now I don't really follow Baseball that much but I couldn't believe my ears when he said that. I mean, they haven't made the playoffs since, when, 1997?

Poor guy getting his hopes up like that. He's now back to chanting "Free the Birds"The O's have some nice pieces but unfortunately are in a division that doesn't leave any room for error, its killed or be killed in the AL East.  They've drafted well and have pitchers they've developed but I'm not sure they have enough pieces yet or can put it all together for long stretches of time to make their mark against the rest of the division.

That said, any team is playing better ball than the Red Sox so far sad.gif

No surprise to any Sox fan but Wake is heading to the pen after Sunday's game so Dicek can join the rotation, and the Red Sox are looking for a catching replacement somewhere down the road (Chris Snyder/Diamondbacks).  The amount of stolen bases are embarassing against this team.

[quote name=dinz]sox sign a catcher from japan, sorry i dont remember his name...4    or  5  year  deal about 4.3 million

Red Sox did sign a new Cuban catcher Adalberto Ibarra, who's 23 years old and supposedly a lefty slugger. The deal is for $3 million for 5 years + incentives.  He's relatively inexperienced but the Sox feel like he's ahead of the 3 options the have in the minors right now.  The signed him to a major league deal so I wonder if that means someone has to go?  He's waiting on visa clearance in the Dominican Republic right now.

Daisuke Matsuzaka on target for a Saturday return. Fabio Castro is on the way to bolster the battered bullpen.

The Red Sox are officially a mess.  They're still battling every game and getting some wins but its been ugly.  facepalm2.gif

Change that thought, Castro out...Alan Embree in.  Why not, it can't hurt.

Rant for the day:

Why is it we're voting the AllStar ballot 20 games in on a 162 game season?  Is this based on last year's play, it would be nice if they clarified.

Based on this year, I dont think I could vote anyone from the Red Sox in except maybe Dustin Pedroia.

After CJ Leslie committing to the Pack today I completely forgot that the Sox played tonight.  I just checked and it looks like Lester got back on track with a big game tonight, Buccholz had a great night last night as well.  Hopefully we see more of this from our staff.

Phew, Sox clawed their way back to .500 and Lester looked great.  Pitching a one hitter with 11 strike outs bodes well moving forward.  Now, if they can get Beckett and Lackey on the same page, they might actually make a season of it.  Hmm, is it coincidence that Papi has been on the bench for the recent revival?

Rays are looking a little scary, I hope they hit a speed bump soon so we catch up.

Hey FA, everyone's invited, its just the Red Sox have played so bad and given us Red Sox fans plenty to talk vent about.

[quote name=dinz]first sweep by orioles  since 1998,  team has alot of holes, this is the month that makes or breaks the sox... 4  angels, 3  yanks,   yanks again there,  detroit, phila, minny,  im not going in order here.. but tough stretch of 23 gamesThis is cruel, its like re-living the first half of the Canes season all over again.  This years Sox remind me of the yanks a few years back when they missed the playoffs.  They look old, tired and slow and even Pedroia can't seem to spark them.  The Orioles broadcaster said it perfect, the Red Sox are playing with a roster of back up bench players, minor league call ups and 4 DH's.  Sadly, Jacoby Ellsbury and Mike Cameron aren't close to returning yet but the good news is that John Lester looked great in his last outing.  I'll be happy wth some starting pitching at this point.  This could be a throw away year where Theo will finally be forced to move the older non-producing players.  

What needs to be done imo:

David Ortiz needs to be cut loose

Youk moved to third

Martinez moves to 1st

Beltre and top prospect traded to the Twins for *Wilson Ramos

Tek rotates between catcher and DH

Mike Lowell becomes the DH

Beckett wakes up and Theo finds another piece for the Pen (any chance we can get Justin Masterson back?)

*The Twins have a nice young catcher they may be willing to deal when Joe Mauer is healthy.  Its going to take a big bargaining chip like Buccholtz though.

Oh, and I'm loving runDMc (Darnell McDonald) as the outfield utility guy.  His energy and drive have been one of the few bright spots in this season so far.

I'm not sure what Beckett was doing either but I have to admit I chuckled when CC hit Pedroia in the next game putting him on base, and Martinez crushed a homerun making him pay for it.

Ok, one last article from the Globe about todays no hitter by Dallas Braden:

Yankees enjoy Braden's perfect game

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff May 9, 2010 07:23 PM

Funny scene at the ballpark today. Many of the Yankees were late for stretching because they were in the clubhouse rooting for Dallas Braden to finish off his perfect game against the Rays.

Braden was the Oakland pitcher who ripped Alex Rodriguez for running across the mound during the game. Then last week he ripped him again.

The Yankees enjoy poking fun at A-Rod and his assorted foibles, so this was great fodder. As the game ended, they ran out of the clubhouse laughing.

Meanwhile, in Oakland, Braden grandmother actually told reporters, "Stick it, A-Rod."

A-Rod took the high road.

"I’ve learned in my career that it’s always much better to be recognized for some of the great things you do on the field. Good for him. He threw a perfect game, and even better, he beat the Rays," he said.

The Red Sox should trade for Braden. The rivalry is too friendly these days.

2 out of 3 aint bad. wink.gif

Hats off to Braden.  I hadn't heard what happened between he and Arod, but whatever;  I didn't appreciate the media finding out what the Yanks had to say about Braden's perfecto... let the spotlight shine on him for a afew minutes, geez.  

Here's hoping AJ can bounce back.... again.  Oh, and please tell me why we traded for Javier Vazquez again???????

[quote name=dinz]i actually think if i didnt mention it already that arod is so spacy he probaly didnt realize he was  going across sacred ground on the pitchers mound.. braden has made way to big a deal out of this.. kudos to his perfecto ..yea take 2 out of 3.. well wheres  burnetts toughness, he melts in fenway

Agreed, the whole thing was blown out of proportion but Arod never seems to mind being the center of attention, good or bad.  I think he actually enjoys starting all these little controversies, I guess the spotlight for being the best home run hitter in baseball isn't enough?

Something sadder than the Red Sox's season:

Fan dies 3 weeks after fall before Brewers game

MILWAUKEE --Authorities say a baseball spectator has died nearly three weeks after he fell at Miller Park before a Milwaukee Brewers game.

Stuart Springstube of Weyauwega was reaching over a railing for foul balls while the Chicago Cubs took batting practice on April 25.

The 51-one-year-old Springstube fell over the railing to the hard dirt below. A medical examiner's report released Friday says Springstube suffered a brain hemorrhage after a fall of between 10 and 15 feet. He died Wednesday.

A Brewers spokesman said Springstube was moving his extremities after the fall. A trainer said Springstube was cut and bleeding from the face but conscious as he was taken off the field. dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

Well, it appears the Yankee's line-up is getting slowed depleted by injuries. Hurry, put bubble wrap around Jeter NOW!
Tampa Bay seems to be coming back to earth too (about time, geesh).   Time for the Red Sox, who are just starting to get healthier, to buckle down and gain some lost ground.   This road trip through NY, Tampa, Detroit and MN could either make or break this season. eeks!

[quote name='TSA wrote:

ivyleager']Well, it appears the Yankee's line-up is getting slowed depleted by injuries. Hurry, put bubble wrap around Jeter NOW!

Tampa Bay seems to be coming back to earth too (about time, geesh).   Time for the Red Sox, who are just starting to get healthier, to buckle down and gain some lost ground.   This road trip through NY, Tampa, Detroit and MN could either make or break this season. eeks!

Your expectations are way to high. My Cubbies were sunk last month. I don't even look for them on my MLB channels. Too depressing...again.

And this is EXACTLY why Theo didn't want to give Paps a big contract.  His command is not what it once was and his fastball has gone from 98 mph to about 94.  Mo has always had his cutter.  Papelbon has never had anything, but a fastball and now he isn't what he used to be.  He's lost more games (blown saves or just lost them with the game tied) in the past 2 seasons than I can care to remember.  Ortiz really is heating up, but unless Theo just wants to move on to next year he's going to have to make some major pitching staff changes.  I keep waiting and thinking these guy's track records will show up, but Beckett, Papelbon, Lackey, Dice-K and the rest of the bullpen have been really, really embarrassing.

That was epic.  I fell asleep before Papelbon went up to the podium to explain this one...too bad.  You'd think being with being able to come back from your starter folding in first and from being down 6-1 to making it a 9-7 lead with some insurance with only 3 outs to go.... whatever. rolleyes.gif

Beckett better go 7 tonight.  A loss tonight will pretty much force Theo's hand one way or another and put another huge nail in the coffin.  Once the Boston media lays off the Bruins epic collapse, the Red Sox will be front and center and in the cross hairs.  They'd better be praying for the Celtics to go the distance as a distraction.

At this point I would like to see Theo start putting out some feelers to teams for guys like Paps, Lowell, Cameron and maybe even Victor Martinez if he doesn't project to be a long time catcher.  We need to restock badly and loading up on prospects to deal for some legit help in the offseason may need to happen sooner or later.  I keep hoping guys like Paps, Beckett, and Lackey start pitching like their resumes say they should, but I'm becoming less and less optimistic.  This team reminds me of the '07 Yankees - too many old players or underperforming players with bloated contracts that just don't have the desire to keep a team down and win at all costs.  

There is life in the Red Sox clubhouse and they're only 2.5 games out of the wild card.  I doubt anyone will catch the Rays but the Yankees are stumbling at a time that the Red Sox are finally getting healthy and playing as they were expected.  If Beckett and Lackey can get it together, the Sox will be able to make a season out it.  The Red Sox haven't fielded a full starting line up since April 11th. ohmy.gif

Yooooouk for MVP smile.gif

Eh.... hopefully our lineup gets healthier.   Being an even year, 2010, Arod will not be in MVP form... MVP form is for odd numbered years.  Hoping Granderson, Nick Johnson, and company get healthy and return soon.  I like seeing Randy Winn and Thames getting some time in, but not full time.   Javy Vazquez is a complete bust.  Send him down to the minors to regain his confidence or something, but man...   maybe we can swap Javy Vazquez for Roy Oswalt (lol at even thinking about that swap).... Pettitte and Oswalt are friends though, and at least Oswalt could play for a contender, compared to the Nationals or so.  Here's hoping the Yanks and Rays stay strong... wink.gif