The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

winn stinks, cant wait till granderson comes back, and javy is showing signs of coming around, well sox  fans, what do ya think of Big   papi now?

eating_crow.jpg

I'm not quite ready to say the Sox are out of the woods yet but a sweep in Tampa could sway my opinion.  Lackey and Beckett are the wild cards imo and if they start playing like they can, anything will be possible.

Bud Selig won't reverse Jim Joyce's admitted botched call...HUGE mistake!  It would be one thing if Joyce stood by his call but he came out and said he was 100% wrong.  Armando Galarraga was robbed in the final out of what would have been the 21st perfect game in the history of MLB by a bad call. 

"There is no dispute that last night's game should have ended differently." - Bud Selig, MLB Commissioner

Kudos to Jim Joyce and Armando Galarraga for handling it so classy and respectfully, shame on Bud Selig who had it within his power to right the wrong, and chose not to.

Personally, I know MLB is afraid to use the video review they have in place because they're afraid of slowing down the games and taking out the human element out, but why not allow allow each team manager one challenge flag per game to dispute a questionable call made on the field?  If they have a guy already dedicated to watching video review, the decision should come quickly and not slow down the game.

I've been watching the Braves play a lot recently and was in Atlanta to see them sweep the Phillies recently. The more I watch them play the more I'm reminded of when they were the dominant team of the 90's. Could this be a sign of things to come?

I've been watching the Braves play a lot recently and was in Atlanta to see them sweep the Phillies recently. The more I watch them play the more I'm reminded of when they were the dominant team of the 90's. Could this be a sign of things to come?
The Braves look like the real deal to me, good for them.

The AL East is a kill or be killed division.  The race is finally on, just glad my team decided to join the race.

Stephen Strasburg.....WOW...just wow!    Its not often someone lives up to all their hype.  To the Washington Nat's: Welcome back to the MLB smile.gif

And with this years #1 pick, the Nats are looking pretty good.  

In other news.....(is there any other news besides Strasburg?)

-A 3 year old girl fractured her skull when the LA Dodger's Russel Martin hit a line drive into the stands.  She had to have emergency surgery but thankfully she is doing well and will have a full recovery.

-Tim Wakefield made history last night by passing Roger Clemens for pitching 2777 Major league games for the Red Sox.

-The Rays may never lose a game again sad.gif

I'll second the WOW for Stephen Strasburg. He looks like he has all the right stuff including the wicked curve to go along with his fast ball and hard slider.

I guess until you get roughed up a bit and go through the league twice you can't be sure but last night was really just WOW!

While I will 3rd at the WOW, I will also keep in mind that he faced on the leagues weaker lineups.  While I do think 14 K with 0 BB is awesome, still... I'd like to see him face the Pujols and Holliday with the Cards, and Fielder and Braun with the Brewers.  Also would like the Phillies as well... hell, even the Hotlanta Braves right now.   If he can come up and get some great games against some bigger and better lineups, then I'm really sold on his stuff.  I'm excited about it, along with Bryce Harpers power, but I want more results. 

Oh yeah....

When do the Yanks trade the farm for him? roll.gif

Funny^^^^^^ Give the Yanks 4 years.

Oh, let's see, Chicago's recent champs: Bears, Bulls (x6), White Sox, Blackhawks...............

THE CUBS ARE NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The race is officially on...finally.   Red Sox have climbed all the way out of the abyss, are just 2 games out of 1st place and have posted the best record in MLB since Mid May.  My plate of crow has never tasted so good.

Now....as long as Mark Teixeira keeps struggling and the Rays don't become super human again, anything is possible.  I love what the back up players like McDonald and Nava have added, the character alone from their journeys is inspiring.

Looking forward to tonight's opening game with the Dodgers and seeing (hearing) Manny's reception from the Fenway faithful.  Not sure whats in store for him but it should be very entertaining.

Looking forward to the Manny return as well.  Did not imagine that they would've played this well after watching them in April.  Still really concerned about Lackey though, an ERA near 5 is not good for the type of results we were expecting.

Things are heating up in the two east divisions, w/ the exception of the poor Baltimore Orioles. Me personally would like to see the Braves win the NL East and Tampa win the AL east. Right now as I type this the Braves have a 1 game lead over the Mets, who I think were last about a month ago. Washington while I don't think will make the playoffs certainly looks to have a bright future. Don't know what to say about Florida, and there's no counting out Philadelphia.

Other news I'd like to see the Texas Rangers make the playoffs. Everytime I visit Dallas almost no one talks about them, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone sporting any of their merchandise. Now the Cowboys will always and forever run that town but It'd be cool to see the Rangers make a splash in the DFW Metroplex sports radar.

Is it just me or has the baseball been particularly good this season so far?  Watching the no-hitters, tons of home runs (presumably without steroids),  major league debuts that have far exceeded any expectations and the emergence of young superstars has been pretty cool to watch.

For anyone who's followed the Ryan Westmoreland story:

Ryan Westmoreland - BOS

During a conference call on Wednesday, Red Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland said that his "progress has been amazing" after undergoing brain surgery in March.

"I keep hearing from pretty much every doctor that the progress is what they term remarkable. Only three months out I feel like I’m doing things that are above the limits of what the doctors thought," said Westmoreland, who is already doing some running and throwing along with physical and occupational therapy four days a week. "The therapists themselves are setting goals for me and I’m breaking those goals earlier than they expected. From a general perspective I’m definitely getting better. I don’t stop setting goals for myself and neither do they and it’s good because it keeps me going and I want to break through those goals earlier." The 20-year-old said that his doctors have not presented any sort of timeline for a return to baseball, but he's already quite the inspirational story.

Just unbelievable!   I dont know whether to cry about all the injured Red Sox players or applaud the fact that they've managed to crawl out from under a rock, are ony 2 games out of 1st place in the toughest division in the league and are managing to stay within striking distance of 1st place.

All without the help of Ellsbury, Lowell, Beckett, and DiceK for most of the season.

Lackey still hasn't shown up completely yet.

David Ortiz took a little while but showed up in a big way.

Buccholtz, Pedroia and now Martinez can now be added to the list of the injured.. 

The Red Sox have played 56 different outfield combinations in 77 games including using at least 2 out of 3 rookies in each game.

Cameron and Drew have been in and out of the line up all season.

Over half of the bullpen has been designated for assignment since opening day.

Papelbon hasn't exactly been lights out but Bard has emerged as a real threat.

With Josh Beckett, Jed Lowrie and Jeremy Hermida ready to return soon and if the Sox can tread water for the month of July, reinforcements will be coming and the Sox will be positioned for a big second half of the season push.

What a crazy and exciting season so far.

Braves going up against Strasburg and the Nats tonight. Should be a test for both.
Looking forward to this one.  Strasburg is making history every game he pitches in, I wonder if batters will start to study him and figure out how to hit him?

I'd like to see that game, it's supposed to be on ESPN2 but instead they are showing me ESPNNEWS. And FS Carolinas is airing the Reds?!?!huh.gif Ugh, what is up with this? The Reds over the Braves? 

Guess I'll have to tune in via Radio.

End of the 5th, 0-0

Strasburg:   5 SO's : 1 BB :  pitches 67- 37 for strikes : 4 hits

Hudson:  5 SO's : 2 BB  :  pitches 86 - 57 for strikes : 3 hits

Atlanta with 3 errors

Braves win 5-0. Sounded like they figured out Strasburg in the 7th. Good win considering Heyward will probably be used limitly due to a thumb injury.

Games like these that I wish the Braves were on TBS again.

Interesting debate going on.... Should Strasburg go to the Allstar game? He's only pitched 5, maybe 6 games by decision time. But, it's the managers choice on who they want pitching wise. Position players are voted in by fans... what do you think??

The Strasburg debate is really interesting. I'm inclined to say no. If I'm Washington I really want to be careful with his development. But there is no doubt he is filling the stands. It would be fun to watch him against all those AL hitters to see what happens. Still a few games don't make an all star.

I personally think Strasburg hasn't earned All Star spot yet but will likely earn it every year until he retires if he stays healthy.  The MLB All Star game is as much of a popularity contest as the NHL All Star game with players being voted in because of their names and not current performances.  Seriously, they ask you to start voting 2 weeks into the season, that doesnt exactly reflect a players performance. 

Its a show meant to attract attention to the sport but at least the MLB makes the game worth something so the players and coaches actually try.

UGH:  Add Manny Delcarmen and JD Drew to the list of the walking (some not walking) wounded.

[quote name=caniac23]Wow, Sox really taking it huh?That's an understatement. sad.gif  

I don't know how they've managed to stay within 1 game of 1st place after almost being left for dead, I guess the silver lining is that the Red Sox have a lot of depth. Who knew?

Edit:  OMG!!!!  Now Jason Varitek is headed to the DL with a broken foot.  WTH???????????????????????????????????????

Thats officially 10 players on the DL for the Red Sox and 494 man games lost.  With at least 2-3 of those players being out for 6 weeks, that number will be through the roof soon.  The All Star break can't come soon enough.   If the Sox manage to tread water through the next six weeks, I like their chances facing anything down the stretch.

Does the MLB have like a rookie vs sophmore game for the ASG? I think Strasburg could certainly be a canidate for that.