The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

http://www.star-telegram....upper-deck-at-texas.html

Hope he's ok. Something needs to be done about fan safety as this has seemed to happen every year since the drunk dude at Yankee Stadium 5 years ago jumped into the netting.

Braves get a nice win tonight smile.gif
Here's the link from MLB.com.  Thankfully they dont show the actual fall but hearing the crowd and seeing the players reactions is disturbing.  No word on whether he'll be ok yet but they said he was moving all extremeties and was concious when being transported to the hospital.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9738395

The Red Sox are hanging on by a thread and the All Star break needs to happen now.  Francona has use 74 different line ups in 80-something games and 10 players are on the DL, with 9 being every day players.   The Rays were able to sqeak out one run wins the last 2 nights because their excellent bull pen but the Red Sox didn't look out matched.  I still feel good about the second half if the Red Sox get some health bodies back and Theo fixes the bull pen....but the calvary needs to come soon.

Yeah, Nava and McDonald have held up well, but guys like Cash and Patterson won't cut it much longer.  I have no idea what is up with Ellsbury, I'm hoping he'll return soon after the AS Break and the same hopefully is true with Beckett and Buccholz.  Also even if we get those guys back Theo has to fix this bullpen.  Ramirez, and Okajima look awful and Delcarmen (like always) has been horribly inconsistent.  

This one I'm not too sure about.  As with the Johan Santana trade, I'm not sure about giving up Montero.  Great hitting prospect. Catching, so so... but still...  I'm not seeing where we would play him, unless he backs up Posada.  Even then... I don't know.   A pitcher who's doing really well in his career.... or a prospect who COULD do really well....   also, I've seen rumors about the Yanks looking to trade for Jayson Werth, Ty Wiggington, and Michael Wuertz... where as these guys going to play?!?  The bench??  I think Gardner, Grandy, and Swish are doing a fine job in the OF... Infield is set, and the Yanks just signed Chad Tracy as backup for Arod.   Makes you wonder.....

Is George controlling the team again??

Edit:  Apparently Lee ISN'T going to NY now... seems another team *coughRedSoxcough* are aggresive for Lee.

[quote name=caniac23]

Edit:  Apparently Lee ISN'T going to NY now... seems another team *coughRedSoxcough* are aggresive for Lee.

Cliff Lee is a Ranger.  Wow, I thought the Rangers were in bankruptcy.  Cant say I'm disappointed about the Yanks not getting him smile.gif

TSA.... come on.... Lee isn't a Yankee for now.   The offseason will start, and regardless of what happens, the Yanks will probably sign Lee to a 4 year deal somewhere in the 80 million range probably..  maybe even 90, who knows.    They also get to keep Montero.  If everything is true about this kid, I really hope he can break into the bigs and start smacking away... although, he is being mediocre-ish right now in the minors.  Let's hope it's just a slump.

This would be something if the Rangers don't make the playoffs.   Oy for them.  But, here's hoping the best.

Sad day in baseball today.  George M. Steinbrenner III passed away this morning due to a massive heart attack in Tampa, FL.  Steinbrenner, though not one to always think things through, was one of the best owners in baseball, if not in all of sports.  He wanted to win, and while he dishes out some overly priced salaries, he put as much as he possibly could into his team to win.    He helped make the New York Yankees one of, if not THE, greatest sports franchises of all time.   38 seasons, 7 World Series, 11 Pennants, 15 Managers (although the managerial job was switched from one to another well over 20 times), and bought the Yanks for 8.7 million dollars back in the early 70's.   

While I know he's really taken a step back over the last few years and allowed sons Hank and Hal, and GM Brian Cashman, to take over the business, it still won't be the same without him.  There was always that knowledge that if anything went wrong or they needed help, they could always goto the Boss.  It'll be interesting to see how many lucrative contracts they'll be giving out from now on.  

My thoughts and condolences are with the Steinbrenner family.  R.I.P. Boss.

Edit:  Here are some links...

Pssh, between reading ESPN, TSN and CNN comments on him I just don't get where the butt kissing is coming from. He was rich, he bought his teams simple as that. You'd swear he was a genious, throw a cap into play (much needed in baseball) and see how many World Series's this guy woulda won.

While Steinbrenner said and did some of the most outlandish and stupidest things, he honestly cared about "The Yankees".  He wanted to win, at any cost.  While I didn't necessarily love the guy, he did everything he could to help his team win.  While I love the Canes, how many times did we wish we could sign this guy, or that guy, simply because our owner gave us the green light and we didn't have to worry about a self-imposed cap?? 

In the NHL, I know there would still be a salary cap, and one way or another, we would have to be under that cap... but...

We could go around saying money isn't everything, and homegrown talent is some of the best... but the fact of the matter is, while most sports franchise owners only think of their teams as a hobby, he thought of the Yanks as a job.  He wanted to win, all the time.  There are so many owners that want to win, but are frugale about it.  Jerry Reinsdorf comes to mind, Hiroshi Yamauchi of the Mariners is another....  

As for the cap itself, Bud Selig and the MLBPA could have handled that back in 06, but they didn't.  I think a salary cap could help increase tighter games and races, and am all for it. 

I've been a fan of the Yankees since Don Mattingly came around and left, so... to go from humiliating and being beaten by Sox, Jays, and Orioles, to 7 WS titles is pretty good.

While Steinbrenner said and did some of the most outlandish and stupidest things, he honestly cared about "The Yankees".  He wanted to win, at any cost.  While I didn't necessarily love the guy, he did everything he could to help his team win.  While I love the Canes, how many times did we wish we could sign this guy, or that guy, simply because our owner gave us the green light and we didn't have to worry about a self-imposed cap?? 

In the NHL, I know there would still be a salary cap, and one way or another, we would have to be under that cap... but...

We could go around saying money isn't everything, and homegrown talent is some of the best...

2 things.

1. The backbone of the current Yankee dynasty is/has been their draft picks and initial signings : Jeter, Pettitte, Posada, Williams, Rivera.

2. MLB does have a salary cap on how much they spend but are allowed to go over that. They just get fined for going over it. So far, the Yankees are the biggest sinners in this category, followed by Red Sox, Detroit Tigers and LA Angels.

Yes, I'm aware of the core group. 

Our "new core" would be (If they actually KEEP these guys that is...) Cano, Hughes, Chamberlain, Jesus Montero (if he gets his act together and is promoted to the majors).  I don't see Gardner being one of those key guys like Cano or Hughes.  Speedy guy.. bout it.

Great pictures, Wrigley is one ball park I'm dying to experience.   Looks like Toronto will be our away weekend this year so Wrigley will have to wait.

The AL East is as brutal as ever with the Yanks and Rays holding strong.  The Red Sox are holding on by a thread but with Beckett, Buccholtz and Martinez finaly back, they at least look like a major league team again.  It'll be interesting to see if Theo thinks this team has enough fight in them to get help at the trade deadline, or does he decide to stand pat and not mortgage the future.   As much as I'd love to see them go for it, it won't be worth trading the young talent for this season IMO. 

Yanks will be looking for starting and relief pitching, Rays will be looking to add a bat and the Red Sox could use...all the help available.  I can see a late surge happening when Pedroia comes off the DL but I don't think it'll be enough.

Still, its been quite a season for pitching and no hitters around the league.

I'm guessing thats your sister and daughter, or niece? Great seats smile.gif

I'm guessing thats your sister and daughter, or niece? Great seats smile.gif
Yep; sister and niece. My sis goes to quite a few Cubs games. My nieces first. It went into extra innings, niece was ready to go by the 9th. Needless to say, the Cubs blew man on 3rd 3x. They deserved to lose, and Lou needs to be fired. Forget retiring.

We got the seats the week before on the Cubs website. The season ticket holders around us said these seats have been open for several years. One old lady hasn't missed a game in years.

[quote name=captain_jack88]Ugh, Atlanta is starting to slump and Philadelphia is catching fire.

Atlanta may be in some trouble if they don't match the trade that Philly just made.  Adding Oswalt to their already potent starting pitching makes them the favorite now imo.

In Red Sox news, Larry Lucchino has promised Red Sox nation that he will be aggressive in finding bull pen relief.  Mike Lowell is MIA from Pawtucket after tearing up the triple-A.....hmmmm, wonder what's up with the Padres?

Maybe Mike Lowell, Jed Lowrie and a prospect for..................................................

Edit:  Ummm scratch that, jusr saw that the Padres jusr picked up Tejada.  pouting.gif

Yeah it looks like Philly is going to make things interesting down the stretch again. Braves really gave yesterdays game against the Reds yesterday. Jurrjens was pitching well up until Carbera's awful error in the 7th.