The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Gruesome injury to the Indian's rookie top prospect Carlos Santana last night.  Red Sox rookie Ryan Kallish slid into home plate, he took out the extended leg of the Indians catcher and it looked like Santana's knee bent completely the wrong way.  Early reports are that it wasn't as traumatic as they thought but there's been nothing since his MRI today.   Sure looked season ending to me.  Terry Francona met with Manny Acta after the game to express his concern and rookie Ryan Kallish went to see Santana in the Indian's club house to check on him.  Very classy by both teams.

In Jacoby Ellsbury news......

Its really hard not pointing a finger at Ellsbury and Scott Boras and accusing them of punishing the Red Sox by keeping Ellsbury out, but if the kid is under contract and has shown he's fully capable of playing, can't they insist he plays since they pay his salary?  This is really sounding like another Manny Ramirez situation.  I dont think either side of this drama is innocent and has acted particulary professional but its getting rediculous watching the Red Sox field an all AAA outfield night after night knowing that Ellsbury is sitting on the bench.

The good news is that Ryan Kallish looks to be the real deal and could be in Boston to stay.  No disrespect to DMac and Nava, they've certainly held their own and make good cases to be permanent utility guys.

Injuries to key guys (currently Pedroia and Youk) have hurt, but Lackey/Beckett's ineffectiveness and the awful play by the bullpen has been what's sunk this team IMO.  Even with guys out we've lost plenty of games we should've won due to poor pitching by the 2 guys in the rotation with fat, new contracts and a bullpen that has imploded numerous times.  

I went to the 2 walkoffs against the Tigers last weekend and loved it.  Hadn't seen them win at Fenway since '05 and hadn't ever seen a walkoff in person.  The area around Fenway before a game is absolutely electric, I hated not being able to stay for longer.  

^ Kalish has been very good so far.  I really like McDonald and Nava, but Kalish is the type of guy who can stick in RF or LF in the future.  I do hope those 2 guys get some contracts as backups the next few years.  They sure as hell deserve it (it prevents Theo from going after another Hermeida also).

I'm about one more loss from jumping on the Ranger's bandwagon.  Watching Beckett implode last night sealed this season's fate to me, the whole season has been like re-living the 'Canes last season again sad.gif.

I'm ok with having a down year and I know this team will get an overhaul for next season but some of these losses have been very winnable.  Like you said, its not the missing injured players that have cost us (although they didn't help), its the under performing vets and sub par bullpen that have killed any momentum they gained at any part of the season.  I do give them credit for losing such key players in the line up and still managing to stay within striking distance but there's no room for error in the AL East.

That said, the Rays are reeling and the Wild Card is still up for grabs.  If the Red Sox and Rays don't regroup soon, the Twins may just sneak in there and pass them both.  That should make FA happy wink.gif

BTW:  Went to the DBulls game last night and I couldn't believe it was Dioner Navarro catching.  Anyone know what happened to him, did he get injured and is rehabbing or did he fall from grace?  It was also nice to see Jonathan Van Every and Brandon Moss playing for the Indians, hopefully they get their shot in the majors again.

Well Atlanta seems to be hanging on to 1st still, even though the Phillies are still trying to be lameos and spoil it. Texas also holding onto first, Nolan Ryan will be Owner of team instead of Mark Cuban.

On a side note, this was kinda funny.... http://www.youtube.com/wa...Gh-Sqw&feature=topvideos

Great rolleyes.gif

Is this season almost over yet?  Its just a matter of time before I jump on the Rangers bandwagon.

I have enjoyed watching Stephen Strasburg pitch this year. I always worried he might be being rushed but the kid appeared so talented. I'm not sure it would have been different if he spent the entire year in triple A. Now facing possible Tommy John surgery we might not get to see him for another year. Apparently the tear in the ligament of his right elbow is significant. I am Yankee fan but adopted the Nationals last year and have enjoyed them. I hope this kid is alright.

I have enjoyed watching Stephen Strasburg pitch this year. I always worried he might be being rushed but the kid appeared so talented. I'm not sure it would have been different if he spent the entire year in triple A. Now facing possible Tommy John surgery we might not get to see him for another year. Apparently the tear in the ligament of his right elbow is significant. I am Yankee fan but adopted the Nationals last year and have enjoyed them. I hope this kid is alright.

I just saw that when I turned on the end of the RedSox game.  That's really awful for the kid, I hope he makes a full recovery.  Just when the Nationals looked to be turning things around.

Sunday Aug 29th 2010, the day the Red Sox season ended.

I'm now officially a member of the Texas Rangers bandwagon. Go Josh Hamilton smile.gif

edit