The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Baldelli: "An encouraging development"

Free agent OF Rocco Baldelli clarified the Rhode Island TV reports this morning, saying there has been an updated diagnosis that is "an encouraging development" and with adjustments to his current medication he hopes "to be on the field on a much more regular basis.''

Baldelli said he was not orginally "misdiagnosed" as reported by WLNE and WPRI, but that the original diagnosis of a mitochondrial disorder was "the best diagnosis at the time.''

His doctor at the Cleveland Clinic has since reviewed further and more sophisticated testing that indicates his condition is a less-severe and treatable channelopathy. With a modification of medicine Baldelli is currently taking and having good results from, he is optimistic about his health and his baseball career.

"It's definitely an encouraging development,'' Baldelli said this morning from his Rhode Island home. "Knowing this is a treatable condition, I feel this is a very positive thing for me and my baseball career. With this less-severe diagnosis, I hope to be on the field on a much more regular basis.''

Channelopathies are diseases involving dysfunction of ion channels that can involve potassium, sodium, chloride and calcium, and other areas, according to MedicineNet.com.

Baldelli became a free agent at the end of the season, as the Rays previously declined his 2009 option. He is free to sign with any team, including the Rays. He has been in discussions with more than a half-dozen including the Red Sox (with whom he reportedly visited personally), Yankees, Reds, Phillies and Rays.

The encouraging medical report should increase his appeal to teams, though there will still be some question as to how often he will be be able to play and whether he can be used more often in the field or primarily as a DH and pinch-hitter. The Rays have said they are open to bringing him back, but they apparently want to first address their quest to add a front-line hitter to their lineup and then see how and if Baldelli still fits.

Baldelli, 27, was sidelined much of the season due to what was described as a muscle fatigue disorder then rejoined the Rays in August and hit .263 with four homers and 13 RBIs in 28 games during the regular season, then hit .200 with two homers and six RBIs in eight postseason games, including a key single in Game 7 of the ALCS and a game-tying home run in Game 5 of the World Series.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/2008/12/baldelli-an-enc.html

I imagine now that more teams are likely to go after him. Glad to hear it's not as serious as it was too.

Dodgers now leading in bid for Furcal

Braves thought they had agreement to bring shortstop back

ATLANTA -- Rafael Furcal's agent Paul Kinzer said that his client will likely choose to play for either the Braves or Dodgers some time on Wednesday.

But in a twist that has developed over the past 24 hours, it appears the Dodgers are now the favorites to land Furcal.

A Major League source said Wednesday afternoon that he believes the Dodgers have offered Furcal a guaranteed three-year contract with a player option for the 2012 season. This has led some members of the Braves front office to believe they are going to lose out in the bidding for the 31-year-old shortstop.

Furcal's agent Paul Kinzer, told reporters at a Shea Stadium news conference to introduce Mets reliever Francisco Rodriguez, "Right now things have swung back to the Dodgers."

But a Dodgers official said Wednesday, "We haven't been informed that any decision has been made."

The Braves thought they had received a verbal agreement on Tuesday after extending Furcal a three-year contract with a vesting option for the 2012 season. In fact, at Kinzer's request, the team had sent him a term sheet, which one Major League general manager said is only utilized after a verbal agreement has been reached.

But by late Tuesday afternoon, while the Braves were planning for Furcal to undergo a physical in Atlanta on Wednesday, Kinzer announced that there hadn't been an agreement and that he and his partner, Arn Tellem, were going to give the Dodgers a chance to make a counter offer.

Late reports from FOXSports.com on Wednesday said that Furcal wasn't going to accept the proposed deal from the Braves.

If the Dodgers have indeed provided a player option for the 2012 season, they've essentially provided a guaranteed four-year contract. The vesting option provided by the Braves would have required Furcal to perform at a certain level to guarantee that the contract would be extended for a fourth season.

One American League scout, who has been close to the Furcal family for nearly 15 years, saw Furcal in the Dominican Republic late Tuesday night and was convinced that the 31-year-old shortstop was headed to Atlanta for a physical on Wednesday.

This same scout said Furcal's mother was thrilled with thoughts of her son once again playing in Atlanta, where he spent the first six seasons of his career.

The Braves aren't currently commenting on this matter. Braves general manager Frank Wren and Kinzer did speak on Wednesday afternoon. Wren wanted the agent to explain how things could have drastically changed since Tuesday morning.

When Furcal opted to sign a three-year, $39 million contract with the Dodgers before the start of the 2006 season, members of the Braves front office were upset that Kinzer hadn't provided them the opportunity to make the same kind of counter offer that the Dodgers have apparently made within the last 24 hours.

Dodgers, Furcal agree on 3-year deal

Physical all that stands in way of shortstop staying in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES -- The winding road of free agency has led shortstop Rafael Furcal right back to the Dodgers.

A baseball official confirmed Wednesday that Furcal has reached agreement with the Dodgers on a three-year, $30 million contract with a vesting option for a fourth year. It is believed the deal is pending the passing of a physical exam.

Furcal receives salaries of $6.5 million, $8.5 million and $12 million. The team option for 2012 is for $12 million, but vests with 600 plate appearances in 2011. There is a $3 million deferred signing bonus. Furcal, 31, is coming off a $39 million, three-year deal with the Dodgers. He played for the Braves from 2000-05.

The Dodgers could not confirm any agreement, and based on the way Furcal's free agency has gone, that's understandable. A day earlier, the Braves thought they had a deal with Furcal and faxed him a written copy of the terms, but it was never signed and returned. Two weeks ago, Furcal was said to be headed to the Oakland A's, the only team willing to guarantee him a fourth year. The Dodgers rarely confirm any signing until the player passes a physical.

When the Braves entered the picture, the Dodgers countered by finally kicking in a guaranteed third year for the 31-year-old shortstop, even though there is concern over the health of his back, which required July 3 surgery for a bulging disk that limited his play to the first five weeks of the season and the last three series, including the postseason.

He was signed by the Dodgers to a three-year contract three years ago after spending his entire career with Atlanta. He scored 113 runs that first season, but badly turned an ankle in Spring Training of 2007 and played the entire season physically limited, his batting average dropping 30 points.

Furcal and the club were hoping 2008 would be a rebound season and it looked that way throughout the first five weeks, when he hit .366. But he was injured making a difficult play in the hole on a David Wright grounder in May, suffered setbacks both before and after surgery, and rushed to make it back for the postseason.

Furcal sparked the Dodgers to their National League Division Series win over the Cubs, but appeared physically limited while being shut down by the Phillies in the NLCS.

The re-signing of Furcal and third baseman Casey Blake was the top winter priority of general manager Ned Colletti, as it restores the left side of the infield for the Dodgers and stabilizes the batting order, returning Furcal's leadoff presence with Blake a legitimate power bat. Furcal also was pursued by Oakland, Kansas City and Toronto, but he apparently did not want to leave the National League. He spent his first six years with the Braves.

The Dodgers now figure to turn their attention to replenishing the pitching staff, with a chance that Manny Ramirez will come back to them on a short-term contract after Mark Teixeira is off the market. Among the free-agent pitchers under consideration are Jon Garland, Randy Wolf, Trevor Hoffman and Randy Johnson.

Wow. This whole Furcal thing is nuts. I mean everyone had him back with the Braves just a few days back and now he's back in Dodger blue. Wow.

Kind of like Arod in 2004 :P

Med is happy but the Braves fans should be upset or did the media jump the gun maybe?

JWH is saying we're out of the Teixiera bidding. I'm not believing that until he actually does sign with someone else.

Mark Teixeira - ANA

Red Sox owner John Henry wrote Thursday that he doesn't expect the team to "be a factor" in the final bidding for Mark Teixeira.

"We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him," Henry said. "After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor." Negotiating ploy or the end of Boston's flirtation? We're guessing agent Scott Boras was still presenting the Red Sox with some unrealistic expectations during the face-to-face negotiations Thursday. It's pretty clear that the Red Sox won't go beyond eight years in a deal for the first baseman.

Mark Teixeira - ANA

While several sources are confirming that the Red Sox are meeting with agent Scott Boras in Texas, WBZ-TV's Dan Roche says no Mark Teixeira deal is near.

Some others, including the Boston Herald, seem more optimistic. Most believe that Teixeira is with Boras at this meeting, which includes Red Sox owner John Henry and GM Theo Epstein.

Mike Lowell - BOS

According to the Boston Globe, the Red Sox "would likely spin Mike Lowell to another team" if they sign Mark Teixeira.

Lowell has two years and $24 million remaining on his deal, but is a question mark following October hip surgery.

Crazy. Sox are still in it. Angels are going to resign Rivera, and are inquiring about other OF's and Brian Fuentes. What does all that mean??? They're spending the Teixeira money on other FA's, which means they're no longer in the running, as I view it. Sox "say" they're not in it, but who else would be? You mean to tell me he's really going to rot in Washington, or think he can be the cornerstone of that franchise and turn it into a championship team? The Rays were a dream for some people, but they had plenty of talent, both in rookies, and veterans. Nationals... I can't think of anyone except Wily MoPena and.... Christian Guzman?

Make no mistake, I STILL think the Sox are in the running. Yankees aren't going to sign him, unless they can have lesser years, which I don't think Boras is going to listen to. He's aiming for 10/200, but is willing to take 8/160 or 8/180. I'd love Tex on Yanks, but I don't think Cashmoney and the front office want another long term contract like Arods.

Crazy. Sox are still in it. Angels are going to resign Rivera, and are inquiring about other OF's and Brian Fuentes. What does all that mean??? They're spending the Teixeira money on other FA's, which means they're no longer in the running, as I view it. Sox "say" they're not in it, but who else would be? You mean to tell me he's really going to rot in Washington, or think he can be the cornerstone of that franchise and turn it into a championship team? The Rays were a dream for some people, but they had plenty of talent, both in rookies, and veterans. Nationals... I can't think of anyone except Wily MoPena and.... Christian Guzman?

Make no mistake, I STILL think the Sox are in the running. Yankees aren't going to sign him, unless they can have lesser years, which I don't think Boras is going to listen to. He's aiming for 10/200, but is willing to take 8/160 or 8/180. I'd love Tex on Yanks, but I don't think Cashmoney and the front office want another long term contract like Arods.

I tend to agree and think its more of some postioning tactics with Boras. Boras is also representing Varitek and it doesnt appear that he has many long term suitors oferring anything better than the Sox. The Yanks through their name in to inflate the price, the Sox are just tryiing to keep it in check.

I think the price was going to be around the price, regardless of Yankees jumping in or not. But, it also doesn't help the Sox that the Yanks "are interested", as you said. Either way, Sox are still good without Teixeira. If the Yanks somehow baffle everyone and do get him, I'll be shocked. I see Manny being signed, even though Cashman and Giriadi don't want it. Hank wants it, and Hal's in the middle. It wouldn't be the first time the owner has signed someone and gone over the GM's head.

This is getting almost as dramatic as the Sundin deal:

Mark Teixeira - ANA

According to the Los Angeles Times, "a source who is familiar with negotiations" said Thursday that the Red Sox's offer to Mark Teixeira is "significantly" better than the Angels' offer.

The newspaper reports that the Red Sox offered $175 million, while the Angels offered $160 million. Red Sox owner John Henry sent out an e-mail late Thursday night announcing that "it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor" in the Teixeira race, but there's speculation that the statement was intended to call agent Scott Boras' bluff.

Kind of like Arod in 2004 :P

Med is happy but the Braves fans should be upset or did the media jump the gun maybe?

I'm interested to see if the Braves can actually not do any business with his agent ever again like they are threatening.

Good gracious... you knew it's time for the offseason to conclude when the words "Teixeira and 180 million" keep popping in your head while sleeping...

:lol:

Yeah, he had a verbal agreement from what I've read, and then and goes back to the Dodgers saying "They gave me this, what are you going to give me??"

Yeah, he had a verbal agreement from what I've read, and then and goes back to the Dodgers saying "They gave me this, what are you going to give me??"

From what I've seen is it was done except for the signature, then they took the deal to the Dodgers to see if they would beat it.

Teixeira....Manny....Teixeira.....Manny....Teixeira......Manny......Boras......

Boras.......Boras....... yawn. <_<

Trade Matsui, Damon, and Nady to the NL. Selig woud covet this deal, making this transaction as quickly as he would deny Pete Rose a shot into the HOF. :D

<sarcasm!>

Aha.... I was wondering when the Yankees would get into the Tex race...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/sports/baseball/21teixeira.html?_r=2' target="_blank">http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/sports/b...xeira.html?_r=2[/post]

And it's official... Teixiera to the Yanks at 8/$170.

Than Yankees now have the four highest paid players in the league. Nope, nothing wrong with this system at all.

I'm now glad the Sox didn't get him. This is what is ruining baseball. I didn't want another overpaid player who we signed just because he was too rich for everyone else. The Yanks got in the trouble they're in becasue they signed overpaid player who couldn't live up to their contracts, they may have just got gotten 3 more.

From a logic standpoint I can see why the Sox wanted him, but I've always thought Tex was overrated. Power numbers inflated in Texas, not as good with the glove as Youk, never played in a tough environment, etc. Now we NEED to make sure Ortiz and Lowell are healthy and maybe speed up Lars Anderson's development a bit as well.

Boras can burn in hell for all I care.

Wow, I guess I should have seen that coming. Desperate times call for desperate measures and with nothing really coming along in the pipeline for the Yanks, it becomes a free agent extravaganza. Why not try and sign Manny too?

Only thing I hate is Boras gets richer over greed and manipulation. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years.

8 yrs/180 million and a full no trade

And they thought Johnny Damon had dollar bills thrown at him when he came to Fenway..... this will be fun ;)

Yea yankees are really desperately going all out to build a world series team overnight.

I think Burnett will be a huge bust, I always thought he was overrated as a Jay and a Marlin.

If Tex and C.C. have bad years though, i gotta imagine that the Yanks curse these free agents somehow. Like the baseball gods trying to ruin the monopolization attempt by the yanks.