The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

warbird the main difference between McGwire and Rice is Rice was a pure hitter and was never even

suspected to be on anything.

McGwire is guily by association unfortunatley

I wasn't comparing the two, just thought it was interesting McGwire's support declined.

DLowe to the Braves? Didn't see that coming. Thought he'd be a Met.

How many day until pitchers and catchers report? Wait....we dont have a catcher yet :huh:

Some odds and ends since I'm behind:

People can debate Rice's worthiness all they want. The real story is Rickey got elected to the Hall, meaning that, barring some tragic occurrences between now and August, we will get the greatest HOF induction speech ever in about seven months and change. Oh, and I wanna know who voted for JESSE OROSCO!

Derek Lowe and the Derek Lowe face to Atlanta!! Yay?

Tampa practically stole Pat Burrell at that price. Fantastic deal for the Rays. I like the addition of Kapler to shore the bench up.

Free agent Alex Cora has reportedly agreed to a one-year, $2 million contract with the Mets.

Cora kept waiting around to see if the Red Sox would trade Julio Lugo and open up a spot for him, but it looks like Boston will go with Lugo as its utilityman. Cora is a decent enough choice for the Mets as a replacement for Damion Easley

Thats kinda sad, Cora has been a great utility guy and did whatever was asked of him. Too bad about Lugo's contract because I would hope the Red Sox would have re-signed Cora without it. I wish him well and maybe a late season trade back to Boston when Theo finally finally a way to unload Lugo.

Youkilis gets four-year, $40 million deal

It appears the Red Sox have secured Kevin Youkilis' services and cost for the next four seasons.

According to ESPN.com, the Red Sox have avoided arbitration with Youkilis by signing him to a four-year, $40 million contract. The deal reportedly includes an option for the 2013 season.

Youkilis, who wasn't eligible for free agency until after the 2010 season, established career highs in batting average (.312), homers (29) and RBIs (115) this past season. The production earned him a third-place finish in balloting for the American League Most Valuable Player Award.

Dustin Pedroia, who won the AL MVP Award, signed a six-year, $40.5 million contract with the Red Sox earlier this offseason.

Youkilis gets four-year, $40 million deal

It appears the Red Sox have secured Kevin Youkilis' services and cost for the next four seasons.

According to ESPN.com, the Red Sox have avoided arbitration with Youkilis by signing him to a four-year, $40 million contract. The deal reportedly includes an option for the 2013 season.

Youkilis, who wasn't eligible for free agency until after the 2010 season, established career highs in batting average (.312), homers (29) and RBIs (115) this past season. The production earned him a third-place finish in balloting for the American League Most Valuable Player Award.

Dustin Pedroia, who won the AL MVP Award, signed a six-year, $40.5 million contract with the Red Sox earlier this offseason.

Yay. They re-signed Mark Kotsay too.

Next up a catcher. I hope Varitek only signs a one year deal

if he stays as that is all he is worth now IMHO

I saw on monday that the sox are tired of dealing with Boras, stemming from Teixeira, and they would only talk again if they could talk honestly and productively.

The latest I've heard about the catching situation is the Sox are talking with the Diamondbacks about Miguel Montero.

I saw on monday that the sox are tired of dealing with Boras, stemming from Teixeira, and they would only talk again if they could talk honestly and productively.

The latest I've heard about the catching situation is the Sox are talking with the Diamondbacks about Miguel Montero.

Well, well, well......

Looks like Tek is pulling an Arod on Boras and called for a private (no Boras allowed) meeting with John Henry. I hope the Sox send a big message to Boras and other teams follow suit. He's obviously very good at getting players top dollar contracts but at the expense of what? Arod went crawling back to the Yankees because they were the only team willing to pay him the contract he got. Tek will more than likely crawl back to Theo and John Henry because now he knows that Boras's greed lost him job security and a little respect for letting his agent turn this off season into a circus for him.

I hope Tek sign for a year in Boston and transitions into a bullpen coach for the young pitchers and catchers. No one can coach the young arms like Tek and he should always have a place in the Red Sox organization. We'd better see his number out there in right field someday. <_<

Reached by phone a short time ago, Varitek would confirm only that he is meeting with Henry "tonight,'' in the Atlanta area, where Varitek makes his offseason home. Varitek would not specify a location of the meeting other than to say it would not be at his home. Varitek's agent, Scott Boras, will not be at the one-on-one meeting. According to a baseball source, it was Varitek who requested the meeting.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/01/varitek_henry_t.html' target="_blank">Full Article[/post]

Well, well, well......

Looks like Tek is pulling an Arod on Boras and called for a private (no Boras allowed) meeting with John Henry. I hope the Sox send a big message to Boras and other teams follow suit. He's obviously very good at getting players top dollar contracts but at the expense of what? Arod went crawling back to the Yankees because they were the only team willing to pay him the contract he got. Tek will more than likely crawl back to Theo and John Henry because now he knows that Boras's greed lost him job security and a little respect for letting his agent turn this off season into a circus for him.

I hope Tek sign for a year in Boston and transitions into a bullpen coach for the young pitchers and catchers. No one can coach the young arms like Tek and he should always have a place in the Red Sox organization. We'd better see his number out there in right field someday. <_<

Reached by phone a short time ago, Varitek would confirm only that he is meeting with Henry "tonight,'' in the Atlanta area, where Varitek makes his offseason home. Varitek would not specify a location of the meeting other than to say it would not be at his home. Varitek's agent, Scott Boras, will not be at the one-on-one meeting. According to a baseball source, it was Varitek who requested the meeting.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/01/varitek_henry_t.html' target="_blank">Full Article[/post]

That's good news, I'd like to see a deal worked out soon and with Boras not at this meeting it has potential!

That's good news, I'd like to see a deal worked out soon and with Boras not at this meeting it has potential!

Looks like it doesnt mean anything yet. Im only guessing but based on what Im reading, Tek wants to play for the Sox and the Red Sox want him but on their terms. They let him and Boras test the market on their terms, but obviously there hasn't been any takers. So now they're back to square one and if it gets done (which I think it will), it'll be on Theo's terms.

Varitek, Henry meet for 90 minutes

Tony Massarotti, Globe Staff January 17, 2009 07:19 AM

Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek and owner John Henry met for approximately 90 minutes near the player's Atlanta-area home tonight, but it remains unclear as to whether Varitek is any closer to returning to the team.

Communicating via text message after the meeting, Varitek would say only that the meeting

"went OK" and that there was "nothing to report." The Red Sox’ captain and longtime catcher said he met with Henry "to speak [about] how I feel" and answered "yes" when asked if his desire was to return to the team for the 2009 season.

Varitek declined comment when asked if the Red Sox similarly expressed a desire for him to return. He also declined to address any specifics as to why he remains unsigned less than four weeks before pitchers and catchers are due to report to spring training.

Late last night, Henry returned an e-mail declining comment.

"It wouldn't be appropriate,'' wrote the Red Sox owner.

And for the complete opposite side of life, Yooouuukkkk was all class saying all the right things at his press conference:

BDD_KY_newdeal_1.16.09_ap.jpg

"Its not all about the money", "I already make millions of dollars playing a game I love", "Being happy about where Im playing and who Im playing with is as important to me", "I couldnt imagine putting on any other uniform" (remember this one when his contract is up), "I love playing for this team, for this organization, these fans and with these guys."- just some of the highlights

And apparently his wife doesnt mind shopping Newbury Street as opposed to Texieria's wife who prefers Manhattan :lol:

I'm thankful that we still have people like him in sports. His numbers side by side almost mirror Teixiera's in BAA, HR and RBI, but he's making half of what Teixiera is.

I like your addition to his hat!

I'm thankful that we still have people like him in sports. His numbers side by side almost mirror Teixiera's in BAA, HR and RBI, but he's making half of what Teixiera is.

I like your addition to his hat!

I cant take the credit, it came from dirtdogs.com ;)

But yeah, Youk is the heart and soul type player that every team needs. Luckily the Sox have several of those and sometimes what a team may lack in skill on some nights can be compensated by heart and soul. Thats what make this whole thing with Tek so unsettling because he's also one of those heart and soul guys.

Kinda sounds familiar to the Brind'Amour situation. A real heart and soul character player and leader who's performance is declining. Very tough situation indeed but the Sox are trying to handle it in the best interest of the team.

Anyone else see the story about the Padres fan who made himself a "free agent fan" and sent letters to all the MLB teams asking why he should become a fan for them. Here's letter he sent:

To whom it may concern:

I would like to start off by saying that I am a die-hard baseball fan. Until recently, I considered myself a life-long fan of the San Diego Padres. Some of my earliest memories are going to Padres games and to spring training with my family.

However, after the recent events with Padres ownership and management, I have come to the conclusion that they are doing a huge disservice not only to their fans but to the community as well. You must agree that decades-long Padres fans

For those interested, preliminary 45-man rosters for the World Baseball Classic will be announced tonight at 6:00 on the MLB channel. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty fired up for the WBC. The new format looks pretty compelling, plus it means there's competitive baseball on tv sooner.

http://soxblog.projo.com/2009/01/papelbon-discus.html''>http://soxblog.projo.com/2009/01/papelbon-discus.html' target="_blank">http://soxblog.projo.com/2009/01/papelbon-discus.html[/post]

Heh, Pap's wants to roll the dice. If he leaves the Nation, I see alot of angry fans seeing him as a Yankee (regardless if it happens or not)

God I hope he never joins them.

http://soxblog.projo.com/2009/01/papelbon-discus.html''>http://soxblog.projo.com/2009/01/papelbon-discus.html' target="_blank">http://soxblog.projo.com/2009/01/papelbon-discus.html[/post]

Heh, Pap's wants to roll the dice. If he leaves the Nation, I see alot of angry fans seeing him as a Yankee (regardless if it happens or not)

Umm...no.

Tek has an offer on the table and Im betting its a one-year deal. Pap and Schilling have come out in the media calling for Theo to get a deal done with him.

Interesting approach this season by some teams. Instead of throwing all the $ up front to build the team in the off season a la Brian Cashman, they're adding multiple moving parts that can add value both at the start of the season as well as add value in assetts as the season goes on. Red Sox are actually reducing their payroll preparing more for in season moves as they see how their needs develop and how the trade market evolves. The goal is to have the right team with all the right parts in place to make the run by Aug/Sept. Yanks/Red Sox are truly polar opposites and it'll be interesting to watch how this season unfolds.

Manny is still homeless.... ;)

Pitchers and catchers report in 19 days! Truck Day in 14 days!

Sean Casey - BOS

Sean Casey has decided to retire and take a spot on the MLB network, WEEI reports.

Quite a surprise. Casey ceased being a quality regular years ago, but he probably could have spent at least the next five years serving as a pinch-hitter. He hit .322/.381/.393 in 199 at-bats for the Red Sox last season.

Wierd, I totally forgot about Casey. Cora is official on the Mets :(, and Tek talks continue. Apparently the Red Sox have an offer on the table though its unclear as to the specifics.

I know its a video game, but the new 2K9 Front Office manager game looks interesting. Graphics wise, it doesnt look that good. But creativity wise, it may be entertaining for a while. Then you could resign Tek to that cheaper salary TSA ;)

I was reading an article on the mets signing of Freddy Garcia, it said in the article that he was 32, then in his bio/career stats it said he was born in 1975.....anybody have a calculator handy. maybe hes a relative of Miguel Tejada, 36, born in 1965.