The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Sean Casey - BOS

Sean Casey has decided to retire and take a spot on the MLB network, WEEI reports.

Quite a surprise. Casey ceased being a quality regular years ago, but he probably could have spent at least the next five years serving as a pinch-hitter. He hit .322/.381/.393 in 199 at-bats for the Red Sox last season.

Wierd, I totally forgot about Casey. Cora is official on the Mets :(, and Tek talks continue. Apparently the Red Sox have an offer on the table though its unclear as to the specifics.

I loved Cora, but he had lost a lot on his bat speed and range in the last few years. If Lugo can stay happy platooning at SS then I'd love to see him and Lowrie alternate. I wish Casey could've gotten a ring here last year, but it sucks to see such a great guy like him out of the game now. His role with the Sox last year had diminished enormously by the end of the season. I just found out a few weeks ago that I get the MLB Network on my TV at home (could've sworn you had to pay extra for it) so I'll definetly tune in to see Casey and Harold Renyolds from time to time.

Pettitte resigns with the Yanks for 5.5 I believe, with incentives to goto 12 mil. Kinda wish they signed Sheets, but time will tell.

Pettitte resigns with the Yanks for 5.5 I believe, with incentives to goto 12 mil. Kinda wish they signed Sheets, but time will tell.

Andy Pettitte and Jason Varitek seem to be in similar situations only Andy decided to end it by taking the deal offered rather than to let his agent create any ill will between the two sides. Im betting Tek takes the deal but there are going to be some high fences to mend. Deadline set for Saturday.

A baseball source confirmed this morning that the Red Sox have presented Varitek with a Jan. 31 deadline to accept or decline their most recent proposal, a one-year offer for a guaranteed $5 million with a dual option for 2010. The proposal affords the Sox a $5 million option on the player for that season; should the team decline to exercise the option, Varitek subsequently can return to the team at a salary of $3 million.

The Sox' proposal to Varitek was made somewhere near the end of last week, meaning the player was granted a window of roughly 7-10 days to review the offer.

While it is unclear whether the Sox would be at all willing to modify or tweak their latest proposal -- a baseball source familiar with the negotiations indicated earlier this week that Varitek might now desire only a one-year deal -- the value of the offer has come into greater perspective in the last 24 hours. Yesterday, the New York Yankees agreed to a one-year contract worth a guaranteed $5.5 million for pitcher Andy Pettitte, who settled for a fraction of his original asking price of $16 million.

Pettitte, like Varitek, is a highly regarded and longtime member of the Yankees organization, though he did have a three-year stint with the Houston Astros from 2004-06. New York's initial offer to Pettitte was for one year at $10 million, meaning the player ended up with slightly more than half the guaranteed money he would have received had he accepted the club's first offer.

Full article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/01/varitek_deadlin.html' target="_blank">http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...ek_deadlin.html[/post]

Boras: Ramirez should be signed by the start of spring training

Agent Scott Boras told the LA Times on Tuesday night that he thought client Manny Ramirez would be signed by the start of spring training. "I can't put a timetable on this, but I know that spring training is a long time away," Scott Boras said. "At this pace, I anticipate that we would have something done by then. Things are progressing for Manny." Boras said that market for Ramirez has started to take shape in the last week and that he has started to negotiate with other teams on behalf of his client. "The train has left the station," Boras said. Boras, who didn't provide any details about Ramirez's other suitors, said he continued his talks with the Dodgers on Tuesday. The Dodgers made a two-year, $45-million offer to Ramirez in November that has since expired. Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti said last week that he was still waiting for Boras to make a counteroffer. "I have made clear the proposal we would have to have to make a deal with a major league team," Boras said. "Ned has a very clear understanding of what it would take to sign Manny." So do the other teams in negotiations with Ramirez, Boras added.

Bwahahahahahahhhaha, Manny still being homeless come spring training gives me great pleasure.

Manny probably won't know Spring Training has started anyway.

Another dead grandmother?

Varitek, Sox in stare down

Tony Massarotti, Globe Staff January 29, 2009 04:24 PM

With only hours remaining before a team-mandated deadline, the Red Sox and catcher Jason Varitek seem caught in a stare down that could produce an unhappy ending for both the player and club.

According to a baseball source, the deadline by which Varitek must accept or decline the Red Sox

Jason Varitek and the Red Sox agree to a 1-year deal w/ a second year option, details to come.....

Now they can work on mending some fences together and us fans can focus on much better drama with Mannygate. Apparently he told his buddy Albert Pujols that no one wants to sign him.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahh!!!! If Im the Dodgers and I know Im only one making a play for him, I'd stick with the 2 years $20 mil he would've made if he stuck with the Red Sox and finished the season respectfully. No doubt they want and need him but send hima message that he should think twice about over estmating his worth around the league. He may be a very talented player but he's proven time and agian that he's not a team player or a good team mate.

Edit:

Jason Varitek and the Red Sox have agreed to a one-year contract with an option, a baseball source confirmed to the Globe's Tony Massarotti.

Varitek will earn $5 million in 2009, with the club holding a $5 million option for 2010. If the Red Sox do not pick up that option, Varitek has the choice of remaining with the club on a $3 million deal. In '10, he can earn another $2 million in incentives based on playing time, beginning at 80 games started.

Thus, the potential total value of the deal increases from $8 million-$10 million to $10 million-$12 million. The incentives apply to both the team and player options for 2010.

I love the deal by Theo. Incentive laden deal, and a player option for the 2nd year has him making 2 million less than a team option. Theo wins the stare down.....go **** yourself Boras.

Man, some of the comments by Torre on some past Yanks are really... wow. Courtesy of the nypost.com/sports/yankees/yankees.htm

Man, some of the comments by Torre on some past Yanks are really... wow. Courtesy of the nypost.com/sports/yankees/yankees.htm

Kinda curious as to why he didn't wait till he retired from the game to come out with all this. Not sure what he's trying to gain now but $ from book sales.

If what he's written is true, no wonder the Yanks have been a mess for a few years. Doesn't sound like there was much clubhouse camaraderie.

I believe what he says, most of it anyway. I'll pick up the book when I can, hopefully the day it comes out. I wonder if he said anything about the new Steins? Can't blame Torre for venting, but yeah, why now? Why not later, in a few years or so? Maybe he doesn't expect to retire soon and wanted Arod to "suffer" now or so? Who knows.

Hehehe.... he should have taken the 2-year deal months ago.

Manny rejects second Dodgers offer

Manny Ramirez received a new one-year contract offer worth a reported $25 million from the Los Angeles Dodgers last night ... and he promptly rejected it.

According to Los Angeles Times columnist T.J. Simers, Manny's agent Scott Boras said he informed Ramirez of the offer -- what he classified as a suggestion by the Dodgers, the LA Times reports -- and the former Red Sox outfielder turned it down. Boras said that he informed the Dodgers of Ramirez's decision last night.

All I can really say is "HA". I cannot stop laughing that Spring Training is just days away and Manny hasn't signed anywhere. Crying his way out of Boston finally came back to bite him in the *edit*.

Happy Truck Day! (only the Red Sox can come up with another reason to sell merchandise and create a media frenzy in the off season :lol: )

BDD_TD_morning_2.6.09_sds.jpg

oh, and Manny is still homeless ^_^