The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

It's "Authorized" by Manny, that's awesome. It's like it's some sort of Manny-adaptation of Being John Malkovich. I can't wait for the movie.

Who gets the leading role?

Manny Ramirez puts DirecTV appearance on hold

By Dylan Hernandez February 13, 2009

Manny Ramirez won't be making a promotional appearance he was scheduled to make in Florida on Monday for DirecTV, which released a statement today explaining that the free agent outfielder postponed the event because he could sign a new contract at any time.

The statement read: "Manny, his management and representatives for DIRECTV have decided that due to the unpredictable schedule of Manny's current status and the realistic possibility of impromptu developments that would require immediate travel or contract-related obligations, this appearance will be put on hold until things become more concrete for both parties."

Translated: Sorry Manny but you have no job and a tainted reputation. Even after being told by most teams that they just dont want you, you cant even tell the only team does want you that you want to play for them too. We feel that self serving egotistical greedy people are not who we want DirectTV represented by. Thanks anyway, we hope that our above statement satisfies Scott Boras's request to help you save face in the media since your "self authorized" book doesnt seem to be helping with any damage control.

Who gets the leading role?

Manny Ramirez puts DirecTV appearance on hold

By Dylan Hernandez February 13, 2009

Manny Ramirez won't be making a promotional appearance he was scheduled to make in Florida on Monday for DirecTV, which released a statement today explaining that the free agent outfielder postponed the event because he could sign a new contract at any time.

The statement read: "Manny, his management and representatives for DIRECTV have decided that due to the unpredictable schedule of Manny's current status and the realistic possibility of impromptu developments that would require immediate travel or contract-related obligations, this appearance will be put on hold until things become more concrete for both parties."

Translated: Sorry Manny but you have no job and a tainted reputation. Even after being told by most teams that they just dont want you, you cant even tell the only team does want you that you want to play for them too. We feel that self serving egotistical greedy people are not who we want DirectTV represented by. Thanks anyway, we hope that our above statement satisfies Scott Boras's request to help you save face in the media since your "self authorized" book doesnt seem to be helping with any damage control.

lol that is funny. I hate Manny but would accept him to my team that cant hit but at our price.

what a jerk he is. I would have liked Adam Dunn for the power that LA lacked. He has more

class in his toe than Manny has in his omeba like brain of his

Arod press conference 1PM EST today on ESPN and ESPN2. Let's see how much manure hits the fan. :rolleyes:

I don't really understand how people can "feel" for players that use steroids or whatever. If someone cheated on a test, and got busted big time, would you "feel" for them? They knew they were doing something that was wrong, and got busted. Had SI not come out with this, do you think he would have? Same goes for Giambi and Pettitte and all the other players that got caught. Great that you're playing "naturally" now, but that can't erase the past. You know that Arod's not using now or else the Yanks would have won a couple more World Series the last couple of years (October performance, ya know??)

Edit: http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yan...0,5310836.story

I love old stories. ;)

Aroid has hired a team of "crisis control" PR people. I hope they told him to shut his mouth because everytime he opens it, he digs his hole deeper. :lol:

And why does this statement from David Ortiz leave me slightly uneasy about the possibility of the Red Sox even entertaining ideas about re-signing Manny? (I still think he signs with the Dodgers...phew)

Extra Bases: Ortiz reiterated his belief that the Red Sox need another power bat. He said both Terry Francona and Theo Epstein asked his opinion and he answered them honestly. "We missed Manny last year," said Ortiz. "Who's your cleanup hitter? When your cleanup hitter walks away from your lineup, that's tough." ... When asked whether he'd like see Manny Ramirez back, he said, "Why not?"

Aroid has hired a team of "crisis control" PR people. I hope they told him to shut his mouth because everytime he opens it, he digs his hole deeper. :lol:

And why does this statement from David Ortiz leave me slightly uneasy about the possibility of the Red Sox even entertaining ideas about re-signing Manny? (I still think he signs with the Dodgers...phew)

Extra Bases: Ortiz reiterated his belief that the Red Sox need another power bat. He said both Terry Francona and Theo Epstein asked his opinion and he answered them honestly. "We missed Manny last year," said Ortiz. "Who's your cleanup hitter? When your cleanup hitter walks away from your lineup, that's tough." ... When asked whether he'd like see Manny Ramirez back, he said, "Why not?"

I don't see why ANY team would not like to have ManRam on their team. It just seems like any good he can do would far outweigh the baggage. Though it would never happen i'd like to see him back in Cleveland.

I don't see why ANY team would not like to have ManRam on their team. It just seems like any good he can do would far outweigh the baggage. Though it would never happen i'd like to see him back in Cleveland.

Umm, didnt work out that way last year. His baggage far outweighed the good hence he was voted off the island by his peers. Too bad, because the guy is flat out talented. Unfortunately he's like a child that has to have it all his way in order to flash that talent. Very risky for any club to invest millions in over a multi year deal when history shows over and over again that he's only looking out for himself and only gives 100% when its going to get him more money and more recognition.

As bad as the Red Sox need his bat, Im not willing to watch his antics and his dismantling of the club house again. Its just too risky to think it'll be any different this time around.

Umm, didnt work out that way last year. His baggage far outweighed the good hence he was voted off the island by his peers. Too bad, because the guy is flat out talented. Unfortunately he's like a child that has to have it all his way in order to flash that talent. Very risky for any club to invest millions in over a multi year deal when history shows over and over again that he's only looking out for himself and only gives 100% when its going to get him more money and more recognition.

As bad as the Red Sox need his bat, Im not willing to watch his antics and his dismantling of the club house again. Its just too risky to think it'll be any different this time around.

dodgers need his bat more :P lol

You already have 2 of our pitchers who I hope do well in Boston. You are going to love Saito

as a set up guy. No walks for the most part. Maybe Delcarmen can learn from him.

Penny should do well as well as long as he is not hurt.

I cant wait for the season. :)

Tried getting the fake tears, and it didn't work. Only way people lay off him is if he, cleanly, helps the Yanks make the WS and win it, bar none. That is the only way he gets any relief.

In other Yankee news, Giriadi has decided to go with a left/right offense.

Damon, Jeter, Tex, Aroid, Matsui, Posada, and then he'll play it up there with Gardner/Cabrera/Cano/Nady/Swisher... whoever else.

I like the left/right. Clubs have to choose their relief pitchers carefully, hopefully anyway. Man, the way the Canes have been going, I really can't wait for April to roll around.

I don't know if any of the rest of you care, but college baseball season opens today. I'm really amped up to see live baseball, so muchso that i'm taking the day off to watch the doubleheader over at State. Go Pack baby!

In other Yankee news, Giriadi has decided to go with a left/right offense.

Damon, Jeter, Tex, Aroid, Matsui, Posada, and then he'll play it up there with Gardner/Cabrera/Cano/Nady/Swisher... whoever else.

I like the left/right. Clubs have to choose their relief pitchers carefully, hopefully anyway. Man, the way the Canes have been going, I really can't wait for April to roll around.

Thats a pretty intimidating line up.

When is the Manny situation going to resolve itself.

I do not like him but my Dodgers offense is paltry without him.

I just wish they signed Adam Dunn and were over with it really.

We shall see what happens.

When is the Manny situation going to resolve itself.

I do not like him but my Dodgers offense is paltry without him.

I just wish they signed Adam Dunn and were over with it really.

We shall see what happens.

I read somewhere that Ned Colletti (spelling) was so infuriated with Scott Boras that he threatened to not do business with him at all. They've been working on repairing the professional relationship and thats what the hold up is. Cant remember where I read it though. Im beginning to wonder if the Dodgers will actually sign him now with all the "moving on" type comments they're giving to the press. Of course it could be just a smoke screen too but it doesnt look as cut and dry as it once did for Manny and the Dodgers.

BDD_AR_presser_21709_ap.jpg

"My cousin made me do it ..... really"

I don't know if anyone caught this but apparently A-Fraud was young, young and he was young. That's all I really got out of his press conference.

I wonder how many of the 2003 Rangers took roids

More on the Manny saga....

Scott Boras quoted when asked where Manny was:

The truth is that Ramirez is in Florida, working out in Pensacola during the week and returning home to Miami on the weekends, agent Scott Boras says. "He's in great shape", according to Boras, "and will be ready for opening day whenever he signs."

"When you're that good of a cake," Boras says, "it takes little frosting.

"Manny is now the face of that franchise. So it comes down to a choice of winning or losing. Dodgers fans know what life was like without him. And they know what life was like with him. The truth of the matter is that he makes that much of a difference."

Full article here:

Manny's agent: 'A choice of winning or losing' for Dodgers

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl...ers-cover_N.htm

So now Manny is the face of that franchise? And a cake? Boras is reaching :lol:

When is the next collective bargaining agreement. cause i am curious when MLB will adapt to the salary cap, the free market make sit so hard to hold onto prospects too long. I mean I think of tampa bay, and keep wondering, can they hold onto all these young players to help make the AL east a 3-team race for the next 5 years?

My jays can't compete, and we are fortunate halladay re-siged with us last time for a lesser amount cause he thought we'd be a competitive ball club, this year we've basically added past their prime players and I'm not excited as usual about baseball season.

Best bud just texted me that his fiance gave Jason Varitek a haircut. Per company policy, no photos could have been taken, or anything else like that. So they had to be real professional, yada yada... but they're huge Sox fans (mostly they hate the Yankees). She wishes she could have gotten an autograph or something. I remember David Wells being at a local Publix here, and I told my wife "Thats David Wells!"... I yelled "David!!" from the other side of the checkout. He was with his wife I'm guessing (or atleast hoping, lol) and looked at smiled and nodded, and went about leaving.

Gotta love Spring Training time...

Dodgers start Cactus League play without Manny Ramirez

The slugger plays it his way, and is the focus of attention despite his absence. He's home unsigned, despite being the Dodgers' first choice, making it clear they are his last choice.

Today in a Phoenix suburb, the Chicago Cubs' Jeff Samardzija will throw a first pitch with two lasting meanings.

The Dodgers will officially join the Cactus League.

Manny Ramirez will officially become a distraction.

Both occurrences are certain to be hot and prickly, buffeted by a breeze that will stir up enough stuff to make your eyes water.

Yeah, Manny is not even signed yet and already he owns their clubhouse, their dugout and their bleachers.

The Dodgers' players are nearly weeping for him, with Rafael Furcal telling The Times' Dylan Hernandez he wasn't sure they could make the playoffs without him.

"I don't know, I don't know," said Furcal, whose guaranteed $30 million apparently guarantees nothing.

The Dodgers' manager is pleading for him, with Joe Torre essentially telling everyone that they can't win without him, even saying a handful of acquired hitters couldn't replace him.

"In our situation, Manny fits better," he said. "We need him more than four or five other guys."

The fans, taking a cue from their heroes, are outright clamoring for him, as this recent text message from one of my buddies indicates.

"My friends asking about Manny! Did something happen? Is something happening? Help!"

Then there was the Dodgers' ticket salesman who became so excited this week, he basically claimed to have signed Manny himself. Did you see that item on our Fabulous Forum blog?

The salesman left a voice mail with a fan, who immediately slapped the recording on the Internet.

"I wanted to be the first to tell you the Dodgers are on the verge of signing Manny Ramirez! A little insider info!"

The Dodgers immediately said it was an unofficial statement, the salesman essentially apologized, and when I called Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti, he could only laugh and laugh.

"It's been like this since November," he said.

Get used to it. This is the flip side. This is the other shoe. After spending two months watching Manny be Babe Ruth, now Dodgers fans can finally watch Manny be Manny.

This is why the Dodgers are holding the line on a short-term deal. They know what they are getting on the field. They know what they are not getting everywhere else.

All winter long, Ramirez has been the Dodgers' first choice, while the Dodgers have been Ramirez's last choice.

That is why he is still sitting home unsigned even though he is a single nod from being in today's Dodgers lineup as this season's second-highest-paid player.

The $25-million annual salary is not enough for him. Going to spring training with his teammates is not enough for him.

He fled from Boston because he said nobody loved him there anymore. The Dodgers' fans have done nothing but love him, yet that's still not enough.

He wants more, and he wants less. More money, less exhibitions. More pay, less work.

He is, first, waiting for somebody to get hurt. A New York Mets or Yankees outfielder, preferably. Then, in desperation, somebody would give him his coveted four-year contract.

He is, second, waiting for the Dodgers' ego to hurt. More nasty letters, overzealous employees, players using his absence as an excuse.

Then, perhaps, they would relent and give him that third year guaranteed.

Other players who did not walk out on their teams in the middle of last year's pennant race haven't been so cavalier. Many have signed for less money and less years simply because they are baseball players who wanted to go back to work.

Manny Ramirez is a baseball player of the highest order, and when he's in uniform he works as hard as anyone.

But he's also Mannywood, which is where he is living right now, one of those stars who loves to make the underlings squirm.

The Dodgers will eventually cave. With all the other free-agent sluggers gone, with all their kids pleading desperately for the dreadlocks and drama, they are out of options.

They will offer Ramirez a two-year deal worth $45 million, and throw in a third year with lots of incentives. When he finally gets bored and realizes nobody else wants any part of him, he will take it.

That's fine. At least for this year, his bat is more important than his antics, even if that means he misses the start of his first spring training schedule with his still-new team.

"I'm OK with it right now, we have a longer spring training year because of the World Baseball Classic, we have six weeks left, it's fine," said Colletti. "And it's not like he's a signed player doing this."

Colletti said Ramirez probably needs a full spring training the way another great slugger once needed a full spring training.

"Barry Bonds would show up in the spring looking half-interested, then after his first couple of at-bats, it was like he had been there for a month," Colletti said. "I don't think Manny is very far from that."

Ramirez is not far from Bonds in many respects, exciting yet aggravating, present yet absent, smiling while sneering.

Get used to it. He's smart enough not to be here for the first spring training pitch, but he's too smart to miss the last one.

He's coming. It will be on his own time, in his own way, but he's coming.

The Dodgers have no choice but to sell him their soul, bury their heart and cross their fingers.

This has nothing to do with Manny or A-Rod, thus making it irrelevant, but I must get it in as a Twins fan. I really like the signing of Joe Crede, and hope that he has recovered fully from his prior injuries. A healthy Crede could be the difference between being a darkhorse in the AL or being out of the playoff race by July. It's nice to see my team make at least one significant signing, as we usually just lose players.

Ok, you can get back to Manny and A-Rod hysteria now. :P

This has nothing to do with Manny or A-Rod, thus making it irrelevant, but I must get it in as a Twins fan. I really like the signing of Joe Crede, and hope that he has recovered fully from his prior injuries. A healthy Crede could be the difference between being a darkhorse in the AL or being out of the playoff race by July. It's nice to see my team make at least one significant signing, as we usually just lose players.

Ok, you can get back to Manny and A-Rod hysteria now. :P

Its definately a good signing if he's healthy. Pretty reasonable $ too if I heard right.

Its definately a good signing if he's healthy. Pretty reasonable $ too if I heard right.

We beat you today...yea...get used to it.

:lol::P

But seriously, I am really looking forward to baseball season this year...more so than usual. The game is so much greater than any of the players...why I'm not worried (nor have I ever been) about any of this drama stuff...steroids...holdouts...etc. Just baseball baby. The early months are especially my favorite...everybody has a chance and everybody plays hard.

In a no-lose situation with Dodgers, Manny Ramirez is a lost cause

Offered a deal that favored him completely, the outfielder turns it down. Now it's personal, between his agent Scott Boras and Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, and between the team and Ramirez.

Think about this. For the first year, he would earn $25 million, making him the highest-paid athlete in Los Angeles and the second-highest-paid player in baseball.

If he failed, the following year he still would earn $20 million. If he succeeded, he could immediately void the contract and sell himself for millions more.

It was a real offer. It was written on a real contract. It was handed over during a time of real national economic distress. For a 36-year-old man who quit on his last team, it was a golden chance at redemption, an unthinkable deal of a lifetime.

This week, by every stretch of the wildest imagination, the Dodgers made Manny Ramirez a no-lose proposition. By rejecting it Thursday, Ramirez has officially lost it. He's lost his dignity. He's lost his perspective. He's lost his marbles.

He is quickly losing the patience of a Dodgers front office that is weary of negotiating against itself for a player that nobody values even remotely as much. He will surely be losing the admiration of a Dodgers team that is training while he is teasing.

And, yes, here's guessing he soon will be even losing the last line of his defense, the affection of Dodgers fans who surely are weary of cheering for greed in an era of need. This is not Manny being Manny. This is Manny being Stupid.

The latest rejection was announced Thursday night in a highly unusual news release issued by the Dodgers. Not only are they making private negotiations public, but they are buffing the news with smack talk from the owner.

"The Dodgers today received a letter from Scott Boras, the agent for Manny Ramirez, rejecting the offer that the club made yesterday," read the release. "This rejection is the fourth by the agent in the club's attempts to sign Manny."

Wait. It was just getting good. "We love Manny Ramirez," said Dodgers owner Frank McCourt in the release. "And we want Manny back, but we feel we are negotiating against ourselves."

McCourt then referred to Boras' statement this winter, when the agent announced he was ignoring the Dodgers in hopes of seeking "serious offers."

"When his agent finds those 'serious offers' from other clubs, we'll be happy to restart the negotiations," said McCourt in the release. Sarcasm dripped from the ink, and McCourt wasn't finished.

"Even with an economy that has substantially eroded since last November, out of respect for Manny and his talents, we actually improved our offer," McCourt said. "So now, we start from scratch."

So now, it's personal.

It's personal between McCourt and Boras, an agent who needs this high-profile victory after fumbling Alex Rodriguez's contract last year. And it's getting personal between the Dodgers and Ramirez, whose rag-doll appearance hides the heart of a cold mercenary. From the start of these negotiations, Boras and Ramirez were hoping to play on McCourt's image as a cheap owner, an image that is not supported by what has been one of the league's highest payrolls.

The moment the National League Championship Series ended, Ramirez was joking about how his price, like the price of gas, was only going up.

Funny rich man. Then when negotiations began, and the Dodgers offered a two-year deal worth $45 million, Boras openly scoffed. Funny agent with no leverage.

Three months later, McCourt has spent money signing Rafael Furcal, Casey Blake and Orlando Hudson to steady the infield, signed Randy Wolf to help the rotation, signed Brad Ausmus to give catcher Russell Martin a breather.

Yet three months later, Boras is still intimating that he won't spend the money.

And three months later, Ramirez still doesn't have another offer.

How does that happen? It has been written here that Ramirez is not worth the long-term risk after he walked out on the Boston Red Sox in the middle of last year's pennant race, but goodness, I didn't expect all of baseball's rich fools to agree with me.

Ramirez is good enough to put the New York Mets into the World Series right now, yet they didn't want him.

Ramirez is good enough to make the New York Yankees the championship favorites in an instant, yet they steered clear of him.

Heck, the team that once employed Barry Bonds could have become division favorites and even bigger Dodgers irritants, but even the San Francisco Giants didn't want anything to do with him.

The Dodgers were the only ones to still embrace him. The Dodgers were the only ones still willing to pay him.

The Dodgers have the perfect manager for him, the perfect clubhouse for him, the perfectly forgiving fans for him, and, now, the absolute perfect contract for him.

And now, with spring training games already started, he still says no?

Ramirez is clearly waiting for a slugger somewhere to break a leg, at which point he finally will have his leverage and get his big contract.

I still think he will eventually tire of this game and sign a dream deal with the Dodgers.

But, more than ever, I continue to wonder if he will be worth it.

Manny, Manny, has a big fanny!!!

Spring training has begun and a new season of hope and excitement is upon us. So, what do I have to say?

Go Cubbies!!!

Lets see....

He forced his way out of Boston because he thought he was worth more than 2 years at 20 million for a total of $40 million.

He asked for $100 million at $25million/year for 4 years.....but nobody wanted him :(.

He was offered $45 million for 2 years, $25 million guaranteed the first year, with a chance to re-enter the free agent market if he so chooses after the first year is up. Or, he could opt to stay and collect another $20 million dollars for year 2 guaranteed.....not good enough for Manny.

He has a proven history of being a distracton in non-contract years, asking for high dollar contract extentions and pouting when he doesn't get his way. Or worse, refusing to play.

And he wonders why he's still sitting at home and no one wants him?