The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
StanleyCupChamps

SCC and Catherine's NHL Out of Town Scoreboard

i think he should be suspended...one or 2 games. he got tossed from the rest of that game, and i think he should get at least 1 more.

Brooks Orpik only got a 3 game suspension AND HE DID break Erik Cole's neck. Briere is ok (thankfully), and while the boarding call was appropriate, OV would have had no way of knowing that the door was opening at that time. And that probably did save him from more injury.

Some of the posters on your board say that Erik Cole deserved it and it was his own fault for turning. I've read some even say they hope that next time his neck does break and finish the job. Its interesting how when something similar(although not to the same extreme) happens to a Sabre, everyone's screaming for justice. Just an observation.

You call that a HIT?

He BUMPED HIM! Briere's own idiot teammate should get a suspension for opening the gate as his captain hit the boards!

That's dumb luck and it sucks, but that was not an offense that deserves a suspension. He shoved him from behind, yeah. That deserves a penalty. But that really wasn't much of a hit.

If they hadn't been opening the gate at the same time, he'd have been fine.

You're kidding, right? I think those years of rooting for the Flyers have addled your brain. I saw that hit, and the first thing that came to mind was "That's almost exactly what Orpik did to Cole." He shouldered Briere from behind, into the boards. If anything, the fact that the door was being opened saved Briere. That angle deflected the blow slightly, and made a headache out of what could have been paralysis. It was a deliberate, dirty play and not only did Ovechkin deserve the *edit*-kicking he got, he deserves a suspension as well.

It would have been a glancing blow had the gate not been open and caught Briere's head. That could have hurt him far worse.

Do you need glasses?

Watch. It's plainly obvious not only that it was a dirty hit, but that the angle of the door stopped the hit from being more serious.

It's plainly obvious that this is not that serious and is being blown way out of proportion just like Orpik's hit on Cole was. The difference being that Cole was seriously hurt, Briere was not.

It's plainly obvious that this is not that serious and is being blown way out of proportion just like Orpik's hit on Cole was. The difference being that Cole was seriously hurt, Briere was not.

It's plainly obvious that you've never played the game of hockey. This was a DIRTY AND ILLEGAL HIT. You're the one that always bitches and moans about dirty hits at the mere *mention* of the name Scott Stevens, and yet when truly dirty hits happen, you claim that they are "not that serious" and "blown way out of proportion". You have no concept of the game of hockey at all. What AO did was very serious. His shameful act, in the same way that Orpik's was, could have resulted in a human being never being able to walk again, or perhaps worse. Fortunately, both times saw the injuries not reach their total potential. What happens when one of them DOES? What happens if, say, Ryan Holloweg comes from behind and slams Justin Williams into the boards, breaks his spinal cord, and ensures that Williams will never leave a hospital bed? Will the incident then be serious enough for you to do something about it?

Attempted murder is still a crime punishable to the same severity that murder is, and likewise hits like this, regardless of the injury that results, should be punished as though someone had their career ended.

Gipper, you're the one who blows everything out of proportion, whines about who should and shouldn't have got a penalty, and puts words in people's mouths. You also do not play ice hockey, you play dek hockey. I don't play ice hockey either, so on that we're nearly even.

I said he should get a penalty. He did.

I said it would get reviewed on Monday, and they would have to take into account that it the injury sustained was not entirely AO's fault. AO should not have hit him, but hitting the open door as he fell did not help matters.

I never said he shouldn't be suspended. But considering Briere didn't miss a shift, the suggestion someone voiced of five games was excessive. Very excessive.

I said that is was blown out of proportion. It was. It still is. Both hits.

It's not attempted murder, which again is blowing it out of proportion, because AO didn't attempt to injure Briere. He hit him from behind, as has been done countless times by countless players, which has a mandatory review attatched to it because it could be serious, but isn't always.

At any minute of any day, any game, any one of those players could die, be paralysed, or otherwise seriously injured. Someone could be so incredably unlucky as to take a puck to the head in such a fashion that it kills him. Someone could trip, hit their own head against the boards, and break their neck. Someone could bleed to death from a skate cut. These are inherent risks of this sport. Precautions have been taken. Players wear helmets now, and most of the smarter players now wear visors to protect their eyesight as well. Skates are designed so very little of the blade is actually there to cut someone.

But the fact remains that you could nudge someone the wrong way when they're just a little off balance, and they could break their neck hitting the boards. 9 times out of 10, though, that doesn't happen. Which is why when it doesn't happen, and you start screaming about the 'what-ifs', you blow it out of proportion. Yes, suchandsuch and soforth could have happened. But it didn't. What actually happened is far more important than what could have happened.

You could almost be hit by a car. Should that driver be charged with vehicular homicide because he could have hit you and the impact could have killed you? Suppose it did hit you, you fall, and break your arm, you're not dead, should he still be tried for vehicular homicide?

If something terrible happened to Williams, yes, I'd be very sad, probably angry, but whether or not the injury was preventable, whether or not it was intentionally done, and whether or not he could have done something to save himself would all be things I would have to take into consideration.

And then I would have to let it go. Because you know what? There's no point in me getting upset over something I personally have no control over. I'm not angry at Lukowich for tearing Williams' knee ligaments years ago when he went for Williams' knees. I let it go. There's no point in holding onto it.

Bottomline, the hit will be reviewed on Monday, as will Gaustad's instigator :roll: . A suspension will probably result for AO, hopefully Gaustad won't get one. And hopefully someone will see how stupid it was to give him an instigator penalty. Coming to the defense of one's teammate is laudable, and shouldn't result in that stupid penalty.

It's not attempted murder, which again is blowing it out of proportion, because AO didn't attempt to injure Briere. He hit him from behind, as has been done countless times by countless players, which has a mandatory review attatched to it because it could be serious, but isn't always.

Ever hear of a comparison? And why do you think it has an automatic review attached? Because it's ILLEGAL AND DANGEROUS.

At any minute of any day, any game, any one of those players could die, be paralysed, or otherwise seriously injured. Someone could be so incredably unlucky as to take a puck to the head in such a fashion that it kills him. Someone could trip, hit their own head against the boards, and break their neck. Someone could bleed to death from a skate cut. These are inherent risks of this sport. Precautions have been taken. Players wear helmets now, and most of the smarter players now wear visors to protect their eyesight as well. Skates are designed so very little of the blade is actually there to cut someone.

But the fact remains that you could nudge someone the wrong way when they're just a little off balance, and they could break their neck hitting the boards. 9 times out of 10, though, that doesn't happen. Which is why when it doesn't happen, and you start screaming about the 'what-ifs', you blow it out of proportion. Yes, suchandsuch and soforth could have happened. But it didn't. What actually happened is far more important than what could have happened.

None of the incidents you described are illegal.

Ok, suppose someone goes in to rob a bank, but gets stopped before they take any money. Are they then not guilty of a crime?

You could almost be hit by a car. Should that driver be charged with vehicular homicide because he could have hit you and the impact could have killed you? Suppose it did hit you, you fall, and break your arm, you're not dead, should he still be tried for vehicular homicide?

Again, almost hitting someone with a car isn't illegal. Hitting someone from behind into the boards is. As for if I was hit, yes, several laws would have then been broken and appropriate punishments should be dealt for the laws broken. In that case, we could say that the person is liable for the injury that did occur, but also their reckless driving, regardless of how bad the injury was. Even if I wasn't hit, the person was still guilty of reckless driving.

If something terrible happened to Williams, yes, I'd be very sad, probably angry, but whether or not the injury was preventable, whether or not it was intentionally done, and whether or not he could have done something to save himself would all be things I would have to take into consideration.

Thank you for proving my point. Briere could not have done anything to protect himself, considering he didn't know the hit was coming, and it's hard to throw a check and not mean it.

And then I would have to let it go. Because you know what? There's no point in me getting upset over something I personally have no control over. I'm not angry at Lukowich for tearing Williams' knee ligaments years ago when he went for Williams' knees. I let it go. There's no point in holding onto it.

So if someone hits your mother with a truck, you'll just let it go because you can't do anything about it? You won't sue the person who did it? I doubt that very much to be the case. This isn't something that should be shrugged off. This was a case of one player breaking the rules of the game in a violent and dangerous way. He should be punished.

Ok, so maybe I'm the only person around here who isn't really vengeful about everything.

Goodnight, Gipper, hope noone else pees in your wheaties.

No, you're just the only person around here who doesn't think that boarding a player from behind in a way that could cause possible fatal injuries is a big deal.

And believe me, you're the only one that has done any peeing in any cereal of mine. Thankfully, I prefer toast anyway.

Gipper, must you reply to everyone with such belligerence. Everything FM has said has been pretty accurate in my mind. You may criticize her for never having played hockey, but your lack of understanding the rules of the game shows as well. For starters when a player participates in a contact sport, the legal rules of liability are loosened within the discretion of the league. In fact there's a rule or law somewhere that says that. It came up when McSorley went to court for slashing Brasher across the face.

...so be careful with words like "illegal" and "crime". You're making it sound like every player who boards another player into the boards from behind should go to court. I can't even begin to humour that idea, because it's pure nonsense. In other words all your dialogue about robbing banks or attempted "murder" really makes you look like you don't know what the h-ll you're talking about. I'm not saying you don't know anything about hockey in general, but in this particular thread it looks like you don't.

This ugly hit (yes it was ugly) can be attributed to a number of things.

1)For starters Briere himself is weak on his skates. I've watched plenty of Sabres games this year, and whenever I watch Briere play the same thing comes to mind everytime.....

"Wow this guy is very talented with the puck, but 'man' he's such a twinkle toes on his skates."

Briere falls more then any other player I've seen. He's definitely a talented player, but sometimes he looks like the wind could knock him over....so when FM talks about AO bumping him, she's not completely wrong.

2)One major thing everyone has neglected to mention here is that Briere carried the puck from inside his zone to the Capitals' blueline. This not only made Briere a "part" of the play, it made him the center of the play. Players finish their checks all the time, on every shift, that's what hockey is all about. So Gipper if you want me to believe that...

Briere could not have done anything to protect himself, considering he didn't know the hit was coming

You're asking me to believe that Briere is an idiot, that he's too dumb to realise players finish their checks. I dont think Briere is this clueless. I just think he made a mistake by letting his guard down. You don't dump the puck right next to your bench and then assume that once the puck leaves your stick you're no longer a part of the play, because that' exactly what Briere did.....watch the replay....He dumps the puck, then immediately puts his guard down. In my opinion that's a mistake by Briere as much as it is Ovechkin's fault for bording from behind.

3)Everyone keeps arguing that it's cheap because Briere was heading off the ice. Do people really need to be reminded that you CANNOT be a part of the play and heading off the ice at the same time. That's considered a bench minor penalty for too many men on the ice. So Briere may have motioned he was heading off the ice immediately after the puck left his stick, but according to game officials you're still a part of the play.

I'm not saying that Ovechkin isn't in the wrong, I just think your revenge crusades Gipper are very ridiculous and get annoying after a while. Melissa I sympathize with you that Briere got hit like that and I'd hate Ovechkin too if he did that to someone on Montreal.....so don't think I'm saying any of this out of direspect for your team.

Can't we all just get along here? :D

IMO, AO was not trying to injure Briere or anything like that; however, he should have been more cognizant of his position on the ice. It appeared to just be a little elbow to the back but it was in a position where Briere could not have defended himself, especially along the boards like that. I think AO just got a little carried away and forgot to play with his head.

That said, I think AO should be suspended for a few games for being that careless. Thankfully Briere is OK, it looked pretty bad when his head hit. I wouldn't necessarily call this a cheap shot, I think this is just another case of a player getting too caught up in the flow of the game.

Just my $0.02.

Ovechkin's "hit" on DB cannot be classified as a "hit". He shoved him, and then a line mate opened the door on the bench which caused the majority of the damage. AO got 15 min, and got tossed. He'll maybe get suspended for one game. Buffalo fans are biased and are going to want Ovechkin to be suspended for a longer amount of time than needed because he hurt their beloved captain. The same thing happened around here when Cole got hit form behind and we all wanted Orpik to be suspended for more than 3 games, it didn't happen. It was clearly not a giant hit, yes it was boarding but the door shouldn't have been open yet. Buffalo was already losing the game at the time 4 - 1. They were pissed off and that just made it worse. AO shouldn't get suspended for more than a game, if he gets suspended at all. He seemed OK, later in the game. So judging by that fact I think, people should just deal with the fact that DB is in fact human and will get hit, and possibly hurt.

Ok, so I just watched the video of the "hit"... and here are my .02 worth:

Can that really even be considered a hit? That was more of a bump with the shoulder. And no, do not think I am just taking FM's side on this. If you go back and look at the video, he does not throw a body into it like a real hit would. AO simply taps Briere in the center of his back with the shoulder. Briere, unsuspecting, is throw off balance and unfortunatly hits the opening gate. That was probably the worst possible moment to open it, because that looks like where most of the damage came in. Sure, AO should have got a penalty for the hit and should have been removed from the game, as he was, for the hit from behind, but after a couple minutes, Briere was fine. End of story.

And no, this is not as much like the Cole incident as some want to think. Cole was crouched, therefore making the hit even more dangerous. Briere was standing and it was unfortunate that he hit the opening board gate as he went down. With Cole, the only place he could go was into the boards. The path of the falling Briere was a myster and it was unfortunate that it happened the way it did.

End of story. (For me at least.)

And no, this is not as much like the Cole incident as some want to think. Cole was crouched, therefore making the hit even more dangerous.

Agreed. With the Cole hit, you could clearly see Orpik coming in straight from behind, clearly seeing that Cole was bent down facing the boards, not moving very quickly. While the AO hit on Briere was certainly an unfortunate hit, I don't think the malice was there. AO is certainly still at fault here and deserves some sort of discipline, since he was being careless, but from what I've seen of the two hits (not to sound like a homer), but Orpik's hit looked worse based on the position of the two players on the ice and the intensity of the hit.

Technically you have to consider Ovechkin's hit dirty but after seeing multiple replays it doesn't look malicious. Had he squared up and driven Briere full force into the boards, then I'd say it was but he shouldered him and did not follow through.

That is why any comparison to the Orpik hit on Cole is way off base. Orprik lined Cole up, left his skates and delivered a hit with full follow-through viciously into the boards. Very, very different.

I can see why the Sabres aren't happy about it but much of what I've read on various boards is an overreaction. Yes, Briere could have been hurt but I saw it as a stupid act on Ovechkin's part and nothing more.

I realize many NHL announcers are homers but I can only imagine many perceptions were shaded by the call on TV or radio. I have heard their broadcast team on sat radio and they tend to exaggerate things greatly. For example, they went ballistic over Cole's elbowing call to Campbell which was a total non-issue.

Although legal, the hit shoulder to helmet hit by Campbell on Umberger was vicious yet Sabres' fans still celebrate that hit as they do the cowardly Roy sucker punch on Staal last playoffs.

Perspective Sabres fans. Check into it. :-)

Last nights games..

NY Islanders 7

NY Rangers 4

Ducks 2

Kings 3

Tonights games...

7:00PM EST

Boston 6

Montreal 5

9:00PM EST

San Jose 0

Dallas 1

9:30PM EST

Nashville 2

Phoenix 3

10:00PM EST

Edmonton 4

Vancouver 0

//

Thought I'd get the thread back on track a little )

Go Habs Go!

But the Campbell hit was a clean hit - not a cheap shot. That's where the difference lies.

If you are referring to my post, it was prefaced with " Although legal..." regarding that hit.

I think you would get a debate from many fans, and former players, that a wicked shoulder shot to the head is not clean even though it is legal.

When Schaefer laid Connolly out in a hit similar to Campbell's on Umberger, Buffalo fans lit up boards saying it was a cheap shot.

Again, the boards are buzzing over Ovechkin's hit on Briere and the fuss is in overblown.

I think you would get a debate from many fans, and former players, that a wicked shoulder shot to the head is not clean even though it is legal.

Maybe, but I don't recall Kariya crying about Stevens shoulder hit that left him unconcious and not breathing on the ice. He seemed to take it like a man.

But the Campbell hit was a clean hit - not a cheap shot. That's where the difference lies.

If you are referring to my post, it was prefaced with " Although legal..." regarding that hit.

When Schaefer laid Connolly out in a hit similar to Campbell's on Umberger, Buffalo fans lit up boards saying it was a cheap shot.

Again, the boards are buzzing over Ovechkin's hit on Briere and the fuss is in overblown.

That's because there was questions regarding whether Schaefer got an elbow up. But I think you will see that most fans are over it, despite the fact that Connolly is still out. No one ever talks about getting revenge on Schaefer or anything.

I don't know, this whole thing is pointless to argue over, because as hoyle said, people look at things differently when it happens to their own players.

*edited*