The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

First Time to RBC

Montgomery... I'm about 3 hours north of there.

I haven't been to the RBC in a couple years so I can't remember much of the things inside it. And Raleigh just confuses me, so I don't know anything good in the city.

I guess I should keep up with this thread for when I go in December.

:)

The best thing to know when you go to a hockey game..

Well first, you should know you're going to be watching hockey. Second, you should know the rules of hockey and how it works because believe me the people behind you aren't going to be so nice when they have to explain every last detail. Don't get lost, it's not very easy to get lost.. but just don't. Don't try to get in the club level, they look down on you when you do that (probably because they're on top of the stairs and you aren't.. but whatever..)

Umm.. eat before going to the RBC, the hot dogs are quite expensive. Don't bring in weapons, or make obsene gestures- there are kids there.. it's not a football game.

Buy a shirt or bring one to wear =] gotta support the team!

That's pretty much all I can help with lol... and I don't think it was much help..

Dress warmly, it is ICE hockey. They open the doors about an hour before game time. There is tailgating before the game, the better the weather, the more people show up early. I go to mid-week games, and I have to be a t work at 6am, so I tell you about after.

The best thing to know when you go to a hockey game..

Well first, you should know you're going to be watching hockey. Second, you should know the rules of hockey and how it works because believe me the people behind you aren't going to be so nice when they have to explain every last detail. Don't get lost, it's not very easy to get lost.. but just don't. Don't try to get in the club level, they look down on you when you do that (probably because they're on top of the stairs and you aren't.. but whatever..)

Umm.. eat before going to the RBC, the hot dogs are quite expensive. Don't bring in weapons, or make obsene gestures- there are kids there.. it's not a football game.

Buy a shirt or bring one to wear =] gotta support the team!

That's pretty much all I can help with lol... and I don't think it was much help..

To add on to what WTP wrote (if you have no idea about the game & rules, that is): if you have one, bring a small hand-held radio w/ ear buds w/ you & tune into Chuck Kaiton's play-by-play throughout the game. He can also be very entertaining at times, too! I was listening to an away game a few years ago, & it was one that involved ALOT of fighting. Chuck was about to cut to a commercial break & before doing so, he said, "This is Carolina Hurricane boxing". I wish I had taped that!

They have Chuck playing on the concourse PA throughout the arena as well, so you can hear what's going on if you have to go to the restroom, concessions, etc., so you don't miss anything. You can also hear his first intermission interview & Kaiton's Corner on either the concourse PA or earbuds, too.

I agree w/ her also on the fact that you should eat before going into the arena unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket. And for God's sake, DO NOT enter the Eye unless you have $$$!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THE EVIL EYE!!!! I can almost promise you that you WILL find at least 3 things that you want to buy, & you may not be able to stop!!!! There's also one or two ATM machines inside.If you have to use the restroom, try not to wait until the intermissions... there's always a VERY LONG LINE at all of them & you might actually miss the first few minutes of the next period (no joke - thank god I have a BIG bladder & usually don't have to go at all while I'm there). If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know.

And for God's sake, DO NOT enter the Eye unless you have $$$!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THE EVIL EYE!!!! I can almost promise you that you WILL find at least 3 things that you want to buy, & you may not be able to stop!!!!

Oh, thanks for reminding me. I need to get a car flag at tomorrow night's game. They didn't have any at the beginning of the season. :lol:

The RBC Center in general is one of the best sports venues you'll ever find. It's nearly impossible to get lost, parking is a dream (I usually get out within 5 minutes, 10 at max, to the highway). Just enjoy yourself but don't worry if you miss anything... you'll be back ;)

well, you can get lost if you're not from the area but...I would go a google /mapquest search-address for the arena is 1400 edwards mill rd, raleigh. it's right off wade avenue not far from I-40. have fun!

Parking at the RBC Center is $8, but you can park at the fairgrounds for free and hoof it.

Pay close attention to where you enter the arena because if you're directionally challenged, you'll never figure out which way you should exit to get to your car. (I still haven't memorized the arena's layout, so I'm pretty sure I end up walking around a whole lot more than I need to. =.)

If they're giving out posters, I hear the promo desk has rubber bands, though I haven't figured out where the promo desk is. :D

As mentioned, food is pretty expensive, as it is in most sport venues. I'd also recommend eating before you go.

Unless you have a medical condition or a small child, do not leave the game early. :evil:

Start practicing your best Ric Flair "Whoo!"

Unless everyone around you is standing up, do not stand up when the puck is in play.

Also as mentioned, it will be chilly in the arena. If you're sitting low, you'll also get the windchill factor as the players skate up and down the ice (especially when all of them go at once).

I agree with everything that everyone has said. I'd suggest layering so that you can take things off or put them on depending on how it feels at the game. I've been to some that have been absolutely frigid and others where I'm scrambling to get extra hoodies and shirts off. Just be prepared.

Like someone else said, don't go to the bathroom between periods. I'd suggest going during a tv timeout. Empty bathrooms and a short, but sufficient time period to get there and get back. Just check for the red light to come on by the announcers who are right down by the ice.

Also, try to keep the amount of times you get up and down to go to the bathroom and concessions to a minimum unless it's between periods (this is less of a rule if you are on the end of the row because you aren't bothering others). People who are trying to enjoy the game tend to get annoyed if you are constantly up and down and keep blocking their view. Don't feel like you can't get up, just make sure it's not 4 or 5 times a period. Unless you are sick or with kids it is unnecessary.

And like someone else said, if you don't know anything about hockey at all don't ask loads of questions to the people around you because other people are trying to watch and concentrate and lots of questions get old after awhile. A question here and there isn't bad, so don't feel like you can't ask. Just keep it in moderation.

Overall, just go and have fun and enjoy this first experience! I'm sure you'll have a great time and make wonderful memories! You'll have to let us know what you thought after you go to the game!

While in Raleigh and the surrounding areas, you should find a Goodberry's and eat there. They serve it at the arena, but they have a small selection and they are already pre-made.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, Goodberry's is frozen custard. They take the soft serve and can mix it with any variety of toppings, candy, fruit, nuts, cookies, you name it. Getting it fresh from the store is my choice. I just recently moved to this area and I have been wondering how I managed without a Goodberry's all this time.

I pretty much agree with everyone else's suggestions. You can arrive at the arena early and come down to the glass to watch warm-ups. You will only be allowed in the end zone sections unless you have a ticket for the club section. The Eye is addicting. I always walk out of there with something...I only have about 100 more items I need to purchase! But then they will come out with new stuff...I sucked it up and shelled out $4 for water. $1 extra got me a cool Eric Staal Stanley Cup cup...Ha!

Seriously though, just take in the entire experience. The atmosphere is relaxing, energetic, and fun. Walk the parking lots during tailgating. Watch warm-ups. Walk the concourse during one of the intermissions. It's all good...

I don't know too much about the area to give to suggestions as to where to go. If you like old-fashioned hamburgers and shakes, you need to go to Steak and Shake on the corner of Millbrook and Capital...

Have fun!!!

Go Canes!!!

I have been there and went into the Dressing room.. because i bought a sweet package deal at the Rod Brind'Amour golf tournament.. so i dont to go into the dressing room plus i saw like 5 games.. met Ward, Staal, Thornton, Mogliny, and many more

Pay close attention to where you enter the arena because if you're directionally challenged, you'll never figure out which way you should exit to get to your car. (I still haven't memorized the arena's layout, so I'm pretty sure I end up walking around a whole lot more than I need to. =.)

dont feel bad Kermel I got lost last weekend at the game. I couldnt remeber which door I enetered. And i couldnt remeber where I parked. And in my case it is really hard to find a black car in the parking lot. So like Kermel said remember which door you come in and where you park, especially if it is your first time to the RBCC, even if your not directionally challenged. But most of all have fun!!! Everyone down here is very welcoming and enjoyable!!

If you have no idea what I am talking about, Goodberry's is frozen custard. They take the soft serve and can mix it with any variety of toppings, candy, fruit, nuts, cookies, you name it. Getting it fresh from the store is my choice. I just recently moved to this area and I have been wondering how I managed without a Goodberry's all this time.

During the summer is the best, especially the one on Spring Forest, because you can just sit on the "hill" and chill out. Btw, I'm angling to get a Concrete named after me -- The Kerri, which would be vanilla custard with blackberries and Heath. It's the only thing I ever get there. I love blackberries and I love Heath and not everyone has both (especially blackberries), so I can never decide which one to get ... so I get both!

At the games, I'm a big fan of the Bavarian nut stand -- I love those cinnamon-glazed almonds!

During the summer is the best, especially the one on Spring Forest, because you can just sit on the "hill" and chill out. Btw, I'm angling to get a Concrete named after me -- The Kerri, which would be vanilla custard with blackberries and Heath. It's the only thing I ever get there. I love blackberries and I love Heath and not everyone has both (especially blackberries), so I can never decide which one to get ... so I get both!

At the games, I'm a big fan of the Bavarian nut stand -- I love those cinnamon-glazed almonds!

Vanilla with snickers, marshmallow, and hot fudge...sigh :D