The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac11

Playoffs or no Playoffs!!

I have faith that the hurricanes will make the playoffs with no problem. I dont see them finishing first or second in the league but the playoffs should be no problem as long as we can get through this season without too many more injuries.

Not going to be easy. Atlanta has been playing like they are the team of the divison all season (minus when they play us :twisted: ) TB and WAS are improved squads, and we are not going to mow over them like we did last season.

I think they will do it, but I think we would be lucky with a 4-5th seed unless they step things up soon.

I think they will do it, but I think we would be lucky with a 4-5th seed unless they step things up soon.

I agree w/ Ichigo here. They have to play like they WANT to go all the way again. They aren't doing a whole lot of that right now. They have GOT to work on those turnovers & sloppy passes if they wanna go to the end again.

As much as it pains me to say this....you guys need more players like Williams....playing a notch higher then they did the previous season...

Your defense also looks lost without A.Ward and Kaberle....

Hurricanes have all the tools to win 2 out 3 games in this beefed up division...Frustrating to watch the on and off nights. This next stretch gives some steady days off inbetween games...Canes should own November.

The players we have will step up and do fine. I boldly predict that we will make the playoffs, although I don't think we will be seeded as highly as we were last season. JR has wisely managed things financially to the point that if we need to sign rental players like Recchi and Weight to help us down the stretch, then we will have the means to do so. Many teams won't have that luxury.

We are just missing so many key players right now. Stillman's absence alone has resulted in a total reshifting of our lines. Of course, completely losing AWard (and Kaberle for the time being) hurts. AWard was my 8-year-old's favorite defenseman, and he was very disappointed when Aaron left. When we work with him on arithmetic flashcards, he doesn't give us the numerical answer. He responds with the player's name (i.e., 4x4=Ladd; 20-3=Brindy). If he has a card with the answer of 4, he responds "traitor". :lol:

It doesn't help that we seem to have a revolving door on our extensive injury list, and most of our injuries so far have been to defensemen. In addition to losing AWard, I really hated that we lost Gerbs. He and Wardo were a solid tandem in net, and with Wardo's playoff experience, they would have only gotten better this year.

Our team is currently at .500 which is not bad, considering the adversity our team has had to overcome in this young season. We just need to maintain consistency from one night to the next. Some nights they show glimpses of being the team we all knew and loved last year. Other nights they are physically at the game, but not mentally in it. I am optimistic that they will find their groove and find it soon.

I think the Canes will make, probably as 5th or 6th seed. How deep they go this year depends on whether Buffalo can keep it together, and if Atlanta ever learns to beat teams from N.C.

^^^ agree we'll make the playoffs but I'm not sure how deep we'll go. Depends on if the guys get some consistency going and have enough gas in the tank for another long run. Personally, I will be happy with them if they make through the 1st round of the playoffs (though I would not be unhappy with a repeat championship).

I think the Canes need to step it up and make something happen to get in the playoffs. Its not gonna be handed to them on a silver platter, there are 29 other teams out there who are going be working their butt of to get into the playoffs. Lets hope they get it going. :twisted:

I can't see them winning the division unless lehtonen gets struck by lightning.

Tough fight with Washington for one of the last spots probably.

If they get consistent, they're going to soar in the standings. If that happens early enough, it could make for a good battle for the division crown. But I don't see that happening until Stillman and Kaberle come back. Depending on how long Gleason is out, it could be pretty rocky for a little while.

I'm putting a stake in the ground now.

Canes will win the Division. We'll pick up the pace as the season goes on, we get Stillman and Kaberle back, and the "final" lines get comfortable playing with each other.

ATL will run out of gas towards the end of the season and either not make the playoffs or go out in the first round.

BUF will win the Eastern Conference. They'll have a crummy late Feb/ early March due to injuries but, unlike last season, they'll be healthy by the time the playoffs start.

I'm putting a stake in the ground now.

Canes will win the Division. We'll pick up the pace as the season goes on, we get Stillman and Kaberle back, and the "final" lines get comfortable playing with each other.

ATL will run out of gas towards the end of the season and either not make the playoffs or go out in the first round.

BUF will win the Eastern Conference. They'll have a crummy late Feb/ early March due to injuries but, unlike last season, they'll be healthy by the time the playoffs start.

:shock::shock::shock:

Thats quite a prediction!!!

What happened to a little faith in one's team?! We just have to stand behind them full-force and cheer them on, because without us, they'll get nowhere. Of course we're going to playoffs. We're only EXACTLY 1 month into the 06-07 season, and I think we have faired pretty well. There is still a lot more season to be played. Sure we've had some tough lossess, but also some great wins. Our record is almost tied, and we have really started to come together as a team. Tonight's win was a boost for sure, and they are certainly not out for the count. Let's keep the faith, cheer like hell, and as always...GO CANES!!!

Just hope the trend continues. We have had some improvements over the last couple of games, but we can't continue to get behind like we did tonight over and over again. I know we like to work from behind and in the last minute, but when you got the bullseye on your sweater like we do, its not going to be easy.

Don't mistake that for being pestimistic mind you, just not really use to the teams I love actually continuing any type of sucess and I don't know how to handle it :lol:

The Canes should be able to make the playoffs. At this point I don't see them being at the top of the conference, but things could change and they could be the hot team while teams like Buffalo and Atlanta could have slides.

Everyone needs to remember that the Canes have had a really tough start to this season regardless. Their summer break was shorter than all other teams than Edmonton, but then they also had all the celebrating that didn't let them rest much.

Throw in the injuries and changes to the roster, and then consider the schedule. So many back-to-back games (which they've really struggled with), the long road trip to start the season only 2 games in, and then especially look at who they've been playing. Many of the games have been playoff rematches, or in the cases of Atlanta and Pittsburgh two teams that have improved a lot over last season. We aren't playing the bottom teams in the league for the most part.

Not trying to make excuses for them, as they need to play their best no matter what the situation. But hopefully we've seen their worst, and so even being .500ish isn't that bad right now, considering. It would be nice to have a better record, but it could be much, much worse.

Right now my prediction for the Canes is to finish 4th or 5th in the conference. They'd need to be very consistent and have some nice winning streaks and win their division to finish higher, so you can say I'm being a little conservative from what I'm hoping for. They win the division and they're the 2nd seed again, as the Atlantic Division leader will be the third seed unless a team really steps up in that division. They are 6th in the conference right now after all, and actually better than the currently 3rd Devils (see above :P). Where exactly they end up will depend on injuries and if they can play consistently.

Things should start looking up soon, too. Five straight home games this month. Hopefully Stillman back the end of this month or at least December, which should help out with the PP. The back-to-back games should ease up around then as well. Then there's the second half to the season after that. Hopefully Kaberle will come back in and give the D a big boost later in the season, too. A whole lot of time to really come back strong, and at that during the best part of the season to do it in.

Besides, as Edmonton showed last year, the main thing is getting in the top eight of the conference.

We'll get in. I'd say we could even win the division (we've owned Atlanta so far this season). I know it's early, but I like our chances of getting a #2 or #3 seed if we win the division, or #4 if we don't.

The season is barely a tenth of the way over. We still have sixty some games left, and you can see our new players and our veterans are really learning how to work together, i think we'll see this team shape up even more in the next couple of games. And i feel that we shouldn't have a problem making the playoffs once that happens. I have plenty of faith in our guys. And I think we've been playing well for the most part. You have to look at how close some of our losses have been. And i know a loss is a loss, but it just shows you that we don't have far to go to truly step up to the plate, and be a contender.

The season is barely a tenth of the way over. We still have sixty some games left, and you can see our new players and our veterans are really learning how to work together, i think we'll see this team shape up even more in the next couple of games. And i feel that we shouldn't have a problem making the playoffs once that happens. I have plenty of faith in our guys. And I think we've been playing well for the most part. You have to look at how close some of our losses have been. And i know a loss is a loss, but it just shows you that we don't have far to go to truly step up to the plate, and be a contender.

L, 0-4

L, 2-5

L, 3-6

L, 1-5

L, 0-4

Dont worry, I have a tendency to make stuff up to prove things as well.

They look like a .500 team to me. Some nights they show up, some nights they don't. Sometimes they show up for half a night as in ottawa and get lucky.

That said stillman and kaberle will give us dramatic improvement when they return.

One other thing, i'm getting tired of the short summer and "worn out from celebrating" or whatever excuse.