The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac11

Playoffs or no Playoffs!!

We'll make the playoffs. It's too early to say where we will be in the standing but if the guys start playing more consistently we could very well be the #1 or #2 seed. If not the #3 or #4 seed.

ATL will run out of gas towards the end of the season and either not make the playoffs or go out in the first round.

You really haven't been following the Trashers' team management over the past few years to make a bold statement like that.

Throw in the injuries and changes to the roster, and then consider the schedule. So many back-to-back games (which they've really struggled with), the long road trip to start the season only 2 games in, and then especially look at who they've been playing. Many of the games have been playoff rematches, or in the cases of Atlanta and Pittsburgh two teams that have improved a lot over last season. We aren't playing the bottom teams in the league for the most part.

How is this any different then any other team in the NHL.

One other thing, i'm getting tired of the short summer and "worn out from celebrating" or whatever excuse.

Ditto...Fans just don't like to see their team fall down a notch or two in performance. That is pretty much all this thread sounds like. If you want good news....recent history shows that only one out of the last 10 cup winners have failed to make it to the playoffs the following season.

Making the playoffs won't be a huge hurdle to overcome. Better than half the teams in each conference finish above the cut line, so in theory you've only gotta be at or a little above .500 to make it into the pool. That said, Minnesota finished 2 games over .500 last year and still found themselves on the outside looking in. So a .500 season isn't a guarantee of a seed -- and it shouldn't be.

Based on play within the division to date, I think the Canes can challenge for the Division Title -- especially if that challenge comes down to us vs. the Thrashers. But let's not ignore an improved Panthers team that handed our helmets to us with our heads still in them earlier this year. Or an improved Washington squad with a healthy Alex Semin to backstop AO. Oddly, I really don't see Tampa as a going concern this year. I can see them finishing outside the field even.

It's tough to make any kind of reliable predictions this early -- but as much as it pains me to say it, Buffalo appears to be the team to beat in the East. And it speaks volumes that we've not been able to do it yet.

And even in this crazy mixed up world of the New NHL, did anybody see the Pens on top of their division coming? Or the Flyers fading like a cheap shirt? What's next?

haha. Okay, maybe i'm just thinking of while watching the games they seem close then they lose it in the last period? and i was also referring to our OT losses. Well, regardless I don't think we should have trouble making the playoffs.

ATL will run out of gas towards the end of the season and either not make the playoffs or go out in the first round.

You really haven't been following the Trashers' team management over the past few years to make a bold statement like that.

I'm an ex-Atlantan and yes, I HAVE been following Thrasher's management strategies. I stand by my "bold" statement.

Atlanta will NOT drop.

Unless something severe happens like Lehtonen getting a season ending injury.

People forget that this kid was said to be completing with Crosby and Ovechkin last year for the rookie title until he got seriously hurt.

Atlanta will NOT drop.

Unless something severe happens like Lehtonen getting a season ending injury.

Barring something major I don't see them dropping either, that's why I hope that the Canes can get a few good winning strings together. They need to keep up and stay close or ATL will be out of reach quick. Other than that, I don't worry about the PO yet.

I don't know about Atlanta, their Goaltender is still a little shaky...at times. (like when they play us) However, their offense is clearly there i.e. Kovalchuk and Hossa. But the defense is where I see them slipping down in the rankings. But that's the only thing.

Throw in the injuries and changes to the roster, and then consider the schedule. So many back-to-back games (which they've really struggled with), the long road trip to start the season only 2 games in, and then especially look at who they've been playing. Many of the games have been playoff rematches, or in the cases of Atlanta and Pittsburgh two teams that have improved a lot over last season. We aren't playing the bottom teams in the league for the most part.

How is this any different then any other team in the NHL.

Injuries - True, every team deals with injuries. I'm not certain how many games have been missed due to injury or any specific stats, but nobody can say that the Canes haven't been unlucky with all the injuries they've had to deal with so far. Maybe somebody else has a stat they could show?

Changes to the roster - Yes, all teams have had to deal with. Some more than others, and to be honest the Canes haven't had huge changes to the roster like some teams have.

Back-to-back games - Again, all teams have to deal with. Point was that the Canes have been struggling with them, that there have been so many so far, but that there won't be as many in the future. So hopefully less games of the sort to struggle with.

Road trips - 7 game road trip. Only 5 home games out of their first 16 games of the season. If any other teams have had so many, I'd love to be enlightened.

Tough teams - Of those first 16 games, 10 are against teams that were in the playoffs last season, and 3 against Atlanta and 1 against Pittsburgh.

Add all those together, and it's been a very tough schedule for the Canes. Especially considering they have a bullseye on them as being the defending champs.

Which was my point. If this happens to be the toughest part of the season for them, which looking at most of the factors it appears to be, and they've gotten through at or slightly above .500 that means they should do even better later in the year.

One other thing, i'm getting tired of the short summer and "worn out from celebrating" or whatever excuse.

Ditto...Fans just don't like to see their team fall down a notch or two in performance. That is pretty much all this thread sounds like. If you want good news....recent history shows that only one out of the last 10 cup winners have failed to make it to the playoffs the following season.

Again. As I already said, I'm not making excuses for them. Just saying tough now and hopefully easier later means their record should improve a lot as the season goes on. They need to play their best and win regardless, but things can and do factor into the schedule that can help or hurt a team's performance.

Personally, I think the "rough" start that they have been experiencing will give them a foundation to build UP from, to make themselves, the team as a unit & their game stronger & more sound for the rest of the season.

Personally, I think the "rough" start that they have been experiencing will give them a foundation to build UP from, to make themselves, the team as a unit & their game stronger & more sound for the rest of the season.

That's a good possibility

Road trips - 7 game road trip. Only 5 home games out of their first 16 games of the season. If any other teams have had so many, I'd love to be enlightened.

You do realise that this argument depends on the team. There are teams who usually perform extremely well on the road and view long road trips as an asset to the schedule and not a hinderence.

I see the Canes getting either one of the 4-6 spots. It is still early. We can not give up on the division yet. IMHO

Only time will tell. Remember an 8th seed made it to the Finals. Just get in and see what happens. 8)

I think the Canes will make the playoffs. And with hot goaltending, anything can happen in the post-season.

Look at how deep eighth-seed Edmonton went last year.