The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rbee

Nov 11 Game & Brooks Orpik

If they let something bother them from a year ago we've got team issues. They are going to go into the game focused because Orpik is the least of our problems with Malkin and Crosby on the same ice.

Although it provides an interesting headline, I think its time to move on, win the game and move on to the next night... OK cole scores a hat trick, that would be sweet :mrgreen:

I'd be satisfied with Orpik being public enemy #1 that night, with the home crowd booing him relentlessly every time he steps onto the ice -- a Canes win (of course) and a few clean checks. I don't expect that the Canes will put the outcome of the game on the line and ignore assignments, positional play or invite man advantages for the Pens just to go after Orpik. If Orpik does get cocky though, I'd expect, or at least hope, that they will step up for each other this time around.

No I'm not "over" the Orpik thing, and personally I wont be till I see his blood on the ice. The Guy is a scumbag who deperately needs to have his rear end handed to him. :twisted:

You do realise, you're cheering for another player to get seriously injured....that's very unclassy.

I'd be satisfied with Orpik being public enemy #1 that night, with the home crowd booing him relentlessly every time he steps onto the ice -- a Canes win (of course) and a few clean checks. I don't expect that the Canes will put the outcome of the game on the line and ignore assignments, positional play or invite man advantages for the Pens just to go after Orpik. If Orpik does get cocky though, I'd expect, or at least hope, that they will step up for each other this time around.

Well said.... I don't think the Canes would do anything that would come at the expense of winning the hockey game. On an aside, they did stick up for Cole last time - Orpik just never had to answer to anyone (seeing as he was given a misconduct penalty and removed from the game) after the officials broke up the original scrum.

I may not know what TO expect, but I can bet you Cole doesn't skate out there and pat him on the butt....Cole IS going to hit Orprik if he is in the game...I don't however expect the teams to get carried away with this thing though.....

I expect Cole to lay a legal, but hard hit on Orpik the first chance he gets.

I think for all who is going, whenever Orpik touches the puck everyone in attendance should boo.

I think for all who is going, whenever Orpik touches the puck everyone in attendance should boo.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that 8) .

I don't think you'll have to worry about that 8) .

Orpik did play last night, filling in for one of their injured defensemen. Interestingly enough, his teammate was injured by a spill into the boards against San Jose. Pens coach (Therrien) deemed it a "vicious" play by Jonathan Cheechoo. Also interestingly enough, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette decided to ask Mr. Orpik for his viewpoint on the hit. Looks like old Brooksie is choosing his words carefully. :D Here's an excerpt from the article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06310/736033-61.stm

Last season, Orpik was on the other side of a situation similar to Eaton's. He received a three-game suspension for a hit from behind that sent Carolina's Eric Cole into the boards.

"The first time I saw a replay, I thought it was pretty dirty," Orpik said of the Cheechoo incident. "The more I watched it, it looked like [Eaton] might have lost his footing. At the same time, it was a combination of both. The speed is so quick, it's hard to let up when you're going like that. I don't know what was going through Cheechoo's mind. He definitely gave him a shove, but it kind of looked like he held up a little bit. He doesn't have a reputation of playing dirty."