The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Boswick

David Tanabe

better then wesley this year thats for sure

Yeah, Wesley is really starting to show his age unfortunately, though I'm not so sure I'd rank him under Tanabe yet. In fact, if the Canes had more D I wouldn't be surprised for him to retire before the season would be over, but with the lack of D he kind of needs to stick around. Not that I'd want to see that at all, just that it seems like he's losing his steam. Though he could surprise us all and get a really good second wind.

I'm saying this as a fan that loves the guy, too. His being the lone remaining Cane from when the team first moved here and then especially his day with the Stanley Cup this past summer sealed it for me that when I finally get a Canes jersey I'm getting his name and number on it. Well, and I also am always more D oriented in all sports so kind of prefer a defenseman. :)

Tanabe is okay so far, though. Has made some good plays and some bad. Maybe it's that so many of the Canes have had bad days so far that I tend to cut him a little more slack than most seem to.

Take Babchuk for instance. He's come on pretty strong as of late, but then during tonight's game there were several times I could be heard saying his name followed by a long string of obscenities. :P

The thing 4 me is I have never been a huge

fan of David Tanabe and prob. never will be.

I think he has been doing okay but he is

nothing compared to Aaron Ward, who I

think was a huge lose for us. I like Anton

Babchuk though and think he will fill in good!

I also agree that Wesley is losing a little bit

of steam but not to much I still think he is a lot

better then Tanabe and I am huge fan of

Wesley! He goes to my church and I know

his family and I liek his hockey style!

But over all I am not extremely happy that

Tanabe is back in Carolina. I wish Ward would

have stayed. But Mike Commodore, Tim Gleason,

Wesley, and Babchuk have the defense so I think

we are doing good defensivly.

:shock: Wesley got rated the number two star in the NHL after Wed night's game in Atlanta! I'm not sure what games you guys are watching but Wesley has been solid unlike others in our defese. Gleason has been a work horse until he got hurt and the others are caught in that revolving door of injuries we keep getting. Tanabe...well..uhh...he's working on it.

Give the defense a little slack, they've been pretty good (except for last night) considering all the adversity.

:shock: Wesley got rated the number two star in the NHL after Wed night's game in Atlanta! I'm not sure what games you guys are watching but Wesley has been solid unlike others in our defese. Gleason has been a work horse until he got hurt and the others are caught in that revolving door of injuries we keep getting. Tanabe...well..uhh...he's working on it.

Give the defense a little slack, they've been pretty good (except for last night) considering all the adversity.

Solid, yes but he is showing his age. I think he should have retired after the cup win. I was po'd when we got Tanabe back and so far he has proved me right. The only time I have been satisfied with his performance has been when he was a scratch. We are getting good work out of Commie, Babchuk, Hutch, and Gleason. In time they will be the defensive core of the Canes.

He'll probably retire after this year. With players getting faster, he's not getting any younger. So he should go after this year, he'll probably have his number retired anyways. Although he is one of our better defenders.

Yes, that's true. He had a good game that night. Though I'm not sure why he got that from the NHL, as he wasn't among the three stars stated on tv. But there will be nights that Tanabe has like that, too. I wouldn't say that Wesley has been more solid than the rest of the D, though. All of them have had their moments where you slap your forehead because of a bonehead play. That happens.

The point I was making is that Wesley is starting to show his age more and more. It doesn't mean he isn't good at all. Just that he seems to be lacking what he used to have. He looks tired and slow at times on the ice. He really stepped things up during the playoffs, and it seems like that took a lot out of him.

I've watched every game so far on tv. Wesley has played well for the most part, but he also has caused some big turnovers or let guys get past him at times and he really hasn't been able to play that much like he used to. Some of the penalties he's taken have seemed to be because of this as well.

Maybe it's just a slow start to the season and he'll really improve, but I just don't see him playing as well as I'd expect from him. Or he was out for a few games with an injury, and most of what I'm remembering occurred before that. It could have been because he was injured, too? The past couple of games he hasn't really stood out to me at all, which in some ways is a good thing for a D-man.

Like I said, maybe he just needed some time to recover or will get a second wind, but he just hasn't played like what we are used to from him much so far.

I'm not a fan of Tanabe at all. I was hoping that he would prove me wrong, but he hasn't. He's the same ol Tanabe, horrible. He will make one good play, then 3 bad, 1 good, 3 bad. I'm happier when he is a scratch.

I hope Gleason is ready to go Saturday so we can keep Tanabe out.

As far as Wesley, I don't think he is playing bad at all. He's making hits, he's blocking shots, and doing what he did last year. And frankly i'm glad we got him for one more year cause I would rather have Wesley in the line up every night then Tanabe.

As far as Wesley, I don't think he is playing bad at all. He's making hits, he's blocking shots, and doing what he did last year. And frankly i'm glad we got him for one more year cause I would rather have Wesley in the line up every night then Tanabe.

QFT! He will have decreased minutes this year but he's still putting out quite an effort. He's been blocking shots in every game. Haven't seen all the penalties from him someone mentioned either. Glen chose to re-sign for two reasons: He felt like he still has something to offer on the ice, and he knows he has tons to offer in the dressing room. He is the leader of our defensive corp and while he may not log all the ice time that Gleason and Commodore do, I assure you that he is the steady force behind them.

QFT! He will have decreased minutes this year but he's still putting out quite an effort. He's been blocking shots in every game. Haven't seen all the penalties from him someone mentioned either. Glen chose to re-sign for two reasons: He felt like he still has something to offer on the ice, and he knows he has tons to offer in the dressing room. He is the leader of our defensive corp and while he may not log all the ice time that Gleason and Commodore do, I assure you that he is the steady force behind them.

After last night's game I would question DT as well as Babchuk. Both looked lost on the ice and the turn overs by those two cost us a couple of the goals. As for GW, he still can block some shots and he is better than the two mentioned above. Heres to getting our D healthy and our O going again.

I don't see Glen Wesley doing too bad...I have seen him miss some passes and mess up but no more than any of the other defenseman. I for one am glad to see him back. He has been messing up but I dont think its ALL his fault. Tanabe on the other hand...well I'll keep that opinion to myself lol :)

Anyways Im new to this board so hello to everyone and GO CANES!!!

DT's playing time tonight: 1:41

In that brief period he still managed to get -1, getting owned by alfredsson.

At least wesley, slow as he may be, is still useful on the pk.

Very nice. Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't wanna see Tanabe get hurt.... just wouldn't mind not seeing him play for us anymore. Seriously, why is he with us?

-hockeyguy033

P.S. This is my first posting to the boads and hope it's not the last. Glad to be here guys and gals. GO CANES!

Yes, Wesley was awesome tonight.

I still stand by what I say that he wasn't looking that great at the start of the season, but for whatever reason that may have been (injury, getting back into things, etc.) something seemed to change in him after being out injured.

Still a bit slower, but his play has really stepped up. We're seeing the Wesley we all remember again. Wasn't ready to say it after just one or two games, but it's been at least three now that he has.

Really glad to see it, as while it's great to have his leadership with the D it's even better to also have his play on the ice.

I still stand by what I say that he wasn't looking that great at the start of the season, but for whatever reason that may have been (injury, getting back into things, etc.) something seemed to change in him after being out injured.

Still a bit slower, but his play has really stepped up. We're seeing the Wesley we all remember again. Wasn't ready to say it after just one or two games, but it's been at least three now that he has.

Really glad to see it, as while it's great to have his leadership with the D it's even better to also have his play on the ice.

I was wondering if we'd be hearing from the anti-Wesleyers this morning. Now you're seeing what many of us are seeing in Glen, tough play and strong leadership. And BTW, nobody was looking that great at the beginning of the season so I don't see how he could have stood out. And he was working through an injury in the first few games too. Good to hear the positive support.

I was wondering if we'd be hearing from the anti-Wesleyers this morning. Now you're seeing what many of us are seeing in Glen, tough play and strong leadership. And BTW, nobody was looking that great at the beginning of the season so I don't see how he could have stood out. And he was working through an injury in the first few games too. Good to hear the positive support.