The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Boswick

David Tanabe

DT's playing time tonight: 1:41

In that brief period he still managed to get -1, getting owned by alfredsson.

I'm not a Tanabe fan myself so bash who you want but who didn't get owned on the shift that lead to the 1-0?

It was Brindy who lost the puck in his skates and then rolls outside of the D-zone, Vermette picks it up and takes it back in by going around Cole who neither plays the puck nor Vermette, then Vermette protects the puck at the boards as Tanabe goes at him. Brindy and Cole just stand there looking on when Alfredsson skates by Cole, who doesn't pick him up either, on the way to the goal and then get's the pass from Vermette. The one who really looked lost during that play was Cole, in my eyes, not Tanabe, but no one dare says anything about Cole.

How some can say it was Tanabe's fault is beyond me, but then again, I don't wear anti-Tanabe shades either. 8)

The whole team looked pathetic on that goal and for pretty much the entire first period. Tanabe may still be injured though, could have something to do with his limited ice time. One day they say he's sidelined indefinetely and then he's back playing the next.

ill4mation wrote ....Every time Tanabe touches the puck, I wince a little....

ME TOO ... a feeling like a bad pass, missed play or turnover is about to be set up somewhere near DT. He only skated 1:41 last night. Maybe coach is getting that same wince feeling ?!!

I'm not a Tanabe fan myself so bash who you want but who didn't get owned on the shift that lead to the 1-0?

It was Brindy who lost the puck in his skates and then rolls outside of the D-zone, Vermette picks it up and takes it back in by going around Cole who neither plays the puck nor Vermette, then Vermette protects the puck at the boards as Tanabe goes at him. Brindy and Cole just stand there looking on when Alfredsson skates by Cole, who doesn't pick him up either, on the way to the goal and then get's the pass from Vermette. The one who really looked lost during that play was Cole, in my eyes, not Tanabe, but no one dare says anything about Cole.

How some can say it was Tanabe's fault is beyond me, but then again, I don't wear anti-Tanabe shades either. 8)

with you on this one--the turnover was not Tanabe's fault---the whole team was tanking during the few parts of this game--this shift in particular. It was like no one gave a crap--no one hustling for the puck, forechecking was non-existent. Don't know what Lavi said to the boys between periods but it seemed to do the trick. Now if they would just play consistent for 60 minutes.

As soon as Gleason is ready, Tanabe will be out of the line-up. Does his salary count against the cap if he is cut?

yep, i think it only doesn't count if he is placed on waivers and no one claims him and he is sent to albany. as long as he is a healthy or injured scratch though it counts.

The whole team looked pathetic on that goal and for pretty much the entire first period. Tanabe may still be injured though, could have something to do with his limited ice time. One day they say he's sidelined indefinetely and then he's back playing the next.

Its interesting how Tanabe was sidelined indefinetely and then as soon as Gleason got hit with the contagious upper body injury, Tanabe was suddenly unsidelined and inserted into the line up. I think he might be getting limited time due to possibly still being injured.

Plus Lavi likes to dress 7 d-man, so maybe he's got Tanabe dressed just in case one of the other 6 can't go the whole game. I'm kind of thinking that Hutch was dressed as the 7th d-man to play the PP, but after that first Ottawa goal I want to believe that Lavi decided to play Hutch and make Tanabe the 7th d-man.

I remember last year I'd get nervous seeing Hutch on the ice during even strength situations but it was never as bad as it is with Tanabe so far this season. I'd much rather see Hutch in the 6th spot until Gleason is back. He ended up logging about half of his 13 mins of ice time at even strength and finished a +1. I've been happy with his play thus far, especially his work on the pp.

The turnover on the alfredsson goal WAS his fault. He was at the boards with a chance to clear it or even pass but instead pissed it a little bit to no place in particular, allowing the ottawa player to get the puck in our zone.

Cole is a forward and we will be more lenient on his defensive play although he's technically a "two way forward".

The turnover on the alfredsson goal WAS his fault. He was at the boards with a chance to clear it or even pass but instead pissed it a little bit to no place in particular, allowing the ottawa player to get the puck in our zone.
lol, that was Brindy, not Tanabe :roll:

Are you sure that was Tanabe?

All I remember is saying "Way to go Tanabe, once again you turn the puck over" and then bam Alfreddson scores and I was like "Even better Tanabe, why are you even playing"

I'm not discounting that Cole and Brind'Amour could also be to blame, but Tanabe was the defenseman there and he failed to play his position.

I take it back being on Brindy. I just watched the goal again.

Wallin shoots the puck around the boards. Cole, not Brindy, tries to stop the puck on the boards and it ends up in his skates but it rolls out of the D-zone. Brindy can't get to it and goes to the bench. Vermette in the meantime brings the puck back in, plays it around Cole and turns left to the boards as Tanabe comes up from behind. Tanabe keeps him on the boards (pushing him) while Alfredsson skates right by Cole who is still watching the puck, and skates towards Cam then gets the pass and scores.

So, how did Tanabe fail to play his position when he never touched the puck but had his man, Vermette, pinned to the boards while others stand around watching him?

At least wesley, slow as he may be, is still useful on the pk.

Yes, Wesley was awesome tonight.

I still stand by what I say that he wasn't looking that great at the start of the season, but for whatever reason that may have been (injury, getting back into things, etc.) something seemed to change in him after being out injured.

Still a bit slower, but his play has really stepped up. We're seeing the Wesley we all remember again. Wasn't ready to say it after just one or two games, but it's been at least three now that he has.

Really glad to see it, as while it's great to have his leadership with the D it's even better to also have his play on the ice.

I was wondering if we'd be hearing from the anti-Wesleyers this morning. Now you're seeing what many of us are seeing in Glen, tough play and strong leadership. And BTW, nobody was looking that great at the beginning of the season so I don't see how he could have stood out. And he was working through an injury in the first few games too. Good to hear the positive support.

Umm... Anti-Wesleyer? Not sure if you even read any of my posts?

I only have said from the beginning that Wesley didn't look the same at the start of the season, and I wasn't sure why. Even gave him credit for stepping up his play to what we have always seen from him the past few games.

Not to mention I said that of all the Canes players I could choose from to have their name on my jersey, that Wesley is my choice. Getting one single jersey isn't as easy a thing for me to do, so if you knew how by wanting Wesley's name on the back of it you'd know he is a player I really respect and hold in high regards.

As for why Wesley stood out, I've always been more defense-oriented in all sports. So I tend to watch the D more closely and so understand the play on that end of the ice better. He's a player that I've watched for many years, and so when his play looks different I see it.

I have been on Tanabe since game 1. This was a horrible pick up by JR. He can't skate, he cant handle the puck and please dont put him on the point during the PP. I dont understand why Hutch isnt getting Tanabe's ice time.

I asked this question in another thread. Could they just send him to Albany or would he have to clear waivers?

I have been on Tanabe since game 1. This was a horrible pick up by JR. He can't skate, he cant handle the puck and please dont put him on the point during the PP. I dont understand why Hutch isnt getting Tanabe's ice time.

I asked this question in another thread. Could they just send him to Albany or would he have to clear waivers?

Now you're being too hard on snuggles, the one thing he can do is skate and anyone who's watched him could tell you that. He has wheels, he just can't put them to any use. I think he would have to clear waivers if we sent him down but who cares? We'd never get lucky enough to have someone claim him.

I'm also not a Tanabe fan. I say trade him to someone who thinks he's better than he is and get some more strength for our blue line, asap.

He seems to have some recent problems sticking with teams (being traded from Phoenix to Boston and now here) -- I'm fairly certain that this trend is not due to solid play.

Every time Tanabe touches the puck, I wince a little....

:D

I had to laugh when I read this...

I wasn't too impressed with Tanabe when he was with the

Canes before and my attitude hasn't changed since his return.

Go Canes![/color]

I read on another Canes board that during the Philly/Toronto game last night they were talking about how the GMs meeting is this week and these 3 words were brought up:

Rutherford-Philly-Tanabe

I didn't see this game as I didn't get the broadcast, but did anyone else hear. Apparently Philly is in need of a offensive defensiveman and the names came up were Tanabe, Bab's, or Hutch. And was said by the sportscasters that neither of these will help Philly, but it may help leviate all the pressure on Pitkanen if he had someone like Tanabe.

Hmm... Tanabe for Forsberg. Sounds good to me!

Of course, Fors would have to take a paycut, but I don't mind.

Tannabe for p1368091reg.jpg

or jofatape.jpg or lastly

sherwood_9970sr_stick_lg.jpg

Just being funny but you all know what I mean. I would rather they bring up Derek Walser or Tim Conboy than Tannabe.

I, like most of you did not feel we shoud bring Tanabe back. My feeling from watching his play is that he knows that he is outmanned most of the time and is probably one the weaker if not the weakest player on our team. He just seems to have almost no confidence when he is on the ice. If and when all our D get back and healthy (Kaberle included) I think Tanabe's playing time will go to almost zero. I would look for us to trade him before theat if we can.

Once all the dmen are healthy he had better be sent down.

Hedican - Commodore

Gleason - Kaberle

Wallin - Wesley

Babchuk - Hutchinson

I'd play all those guys ahead of snuggles and I hope Lavi would too.