The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MattDoc

What are your gameday superstitions?

For the five years I've been going to Canes games my rituals have evolved and changed. Last year what I ate at the game depended on where I sat. If I was in the 300 level or the 100 level it was always cotton candy and lemonade. Most of the time I was in the 200 club level and got to eat from the catering cart and always got a barbeque sandwich with eastern sauce and always had a piece of cheesecake in the 3rd period. I went to more than 20 games last year and I can safely say we only lost once while I was there. My mom and I joked about how the Canes should have given us free tickets because we were good luck! LOL!

This year my rituals have evolved again. The Canes flag must be on my window on the passenger side. NEVER the drivers side. I always wear a white long sleeve tee and one of my Canes tees (of current players only) under my jersey. If we win, I wear those shirts to the next game and don't wash them. If we lose, both shirts get washed and I wear a different player's tee over my white one at the next game. I tried to go with cotton candy and lemonade as the food of choice again this year, but we haven't done so well with that. Now I grab a barbeque sandwich and a mountain dew and I'm set. So far, that's been working since I changed what I eat. LOL! I still haven't figured out a ritual for watching the games on tv. I want to say I was wearing my Francis tee when we played Buffalo on Monday. I think that one might stay out of rotation during the season after that debaucle! HAHA!

I tried to grow a playoff "beard" for the playoffs last season, well while I did it we dropped 2 straight to the Canadiens, I said screw this and shaved, and then they started winning, so for the rest of the playoffs I shaved right before the game, and well we won the Stanley cup......................you're welcome :lol:

During the finals last year we had BBQ (Hot Links) for before every game. For game 5, we had bbq, but not links and had a heartbreaker of a game (we could actually *see* the commissioner, the cup stand, and the box with the cup behind us).

So for game 6, we were out of town, up in Rhinebeck, NY and searched high and low for BBQ. Finally found a place and got what were purported to be hot links. Needless to say, they WEREN'T hot links and we all know how that game turned out.

We made it home just in time to snag a quick to-go order of BBQ Hot Links from the place we'd been going to and ate in the car on the way to game 7. No thanks necessary, though I might need a cardiologist, since I'm sure all those links did almost as much damage to my arteries as the decibel level at the RBC Center did to my hearing!

Playoffs & finals aside, my only real game day superstitions are wearing a red, black, or grey shirt canes shirt and one of my many Canes / Stanley cup hats that are NOT red--the green one with Canes seems to have the most wins on it.

L

For the five years I've been going to Canes games my rituals have evolved and changed. Last year what I ate at the game depended on where I sat. If I was in the 300 level or the 100 level it was always cotton candy and lemonade. Most of the time I was in the 200 club level and got to eat from the catering cart and always got a barbeque sandwich with eastern sauce and always had a piece of cheesecake in the 3rd period. I went to more than 20 games last year and I can safely say we only lost once while I was there. My mom and I joked about how the Canes should have given us free tickets because we were good luck! LOL!

This year my rituals have evolved again. The Canes flag must be on my window on the passenger side. NEVER the drivers side. I always wear a white long sleeve tee and one of my Canes tees (of current players only) under my jersey. If we win, I wear those shirts to the next game and don't wash them. If we lose, both shirts get washed and I wear a different player's tee over my white one at the next game. I tried to go with cotton candy and lemonade as the food of choice again this year, but we haven't done so well with that. Now I grab a barbeque sandwich and a mountain dew and I'm set. So far, that's been working since I changed what I eat. LOL! I still haven't figured out a ritual for watching the games on tv. I want to say I was wearing my Francis tee when we played Buffalo on Monday. I think that one might stay out of rotation during the season after that debaucle! HAHA!

So, I have to add a new one to the list. My mom and I have a Canes Hockey mix that we listen to in the car. The last song we listen to before we get out of the car while we are in the parking lot is MC Hammer's Addams Family theme song. LOL! Silly, but so far we've done it at the last few games we've attended and the guys have won each time!

During the playoffs last year I had to be drinking Beam and Coke during the games. When we scored, I had to take a swig. When the opponent took a penalty, I had to take a swig. I think generally I was also allowed to take a swig during any moment of the game.

If I was at home in Raleigh watching and we scored, each sitting position was observed so that my brothers and Dad all retained the successful positions. It was down right surgical!

Also since Caniac42 and I met up tonight to catch the game and we WON on a brilliant Brindamour talley, I think we may have to get together and watch each and ever subsequent game from now on.

My superstition last year had to do with whether I watched the game on a certain TV or not. I work at home and often have to work at night. I have a small TV in the room where I work, and I recorded all of the playoff games on it. However, it wasn't until I did some major rearranging of furniture so that I could see the big TV in the living room from where I was working that the Canes started to win every game I watched. If my daughter was home and watching the big TV while I was stuck with the small one...yep, they lost. Needless to say, game 7 of the finals...I was off work that day and planted myself in front of the big TV and on the edge of my seat until the very end. It was sublime. This year - pretty much the same thing. Wish I lived close enough to have actual 'going to the game' rituals. :)

During the National Anthem, I shift my weight from right to left and stretch like I did when I played hockey.

Where did you play? why stop?

I played mostly up around Boston when I would go and stay with my grandparents for a few months. I would join a youth league. I was a pretty decent goalie. I quit playing cause I only got to play whenever I visited my grandparents. There wasn't any hockey here in the 70's.

hmmm... my superstitions for the playoffs was that I went to the neighborhood upstairs bar with a huge plasma TV, wearing my jersey ( which everyone stared at me wondering who the hell that team was :D), and had the usual beam and ginger ale...This was obviously when I didn't make the trek to the games. But when I travelled up, I always stopped at this one store on I-95 and got the same slushy and chex mix : ) For this year, on every game day, I look at my pocket schedule in class and think how we've played recently, etc. haha.. (Nothing else better to do) If I ever need to look at the schedule I always go online, but never look at the pocket until class. Oh and one game days/when we win, I wear my `Canes hat to campus and represent, but after a loss I wear my Michigan hat.. so yea pretty weird stuff.

But I agree with Philthycane, we represented the `Canes at this local bar and we will definitely be doing more of that, along with making Charleston the 2nd home of the Caniac Nation!

absolutely ZERO. i had crazy ones when we won the east in 02, so i made them sacred the next two years. the losing convinced me it didnt matter, so i make a point not to be to repetitive. i must admit though...the pressure of the playoffs forced some superstitions. i had to cut my phone off before going inside, because the ringtone was 'o canada'. also, a certain friend had to come, because all year [until game 5 of the finals] every game that she was at with me, we won. so i gave her a ticket to a sabre game. it was a $70 cost of victory in game 5.

i lied. i forgot one. i started playing fantasy sports in 01-02. that year i didnt play hockey...we went to finals. the next two years i did, and we saw what happend. last year i didnt, and we won the cup. im not playing this year.

I only got looney about this during the playoffs:

always have to have my Canes pullover and baseball cap on before having my ticket swiped to get in on the concourse (and I prefer to go in the same door every game)

have to fly the "old" beaten up Canes flag on game days (bought a new one but it does not have good karma yet)

have to wear the same pair of red socks to every home game (yes I wash them)

have to walk the lower concourse at least once (prefer twice) before the teams come out for warmups

last but not least....all those under age 18...DO NOT READ THIS ONE....my "unmentionables' have to be black....the guys just seem to play better with the black. :mrgreen:

We didn't play well the first few weeks because I didn't get my large Labatt's. It took awhile to realize that I had to leave the section and find a beer cart next to the Maui Wowee (?) to get something other than Bud when I bought a $7.50 size. As soon as I did, that game we started to win.

Also, I wear a small chain with a little maple leaf in honor of our Canadian players - I figure the US guys already get lots of support.

We didn't play well the first few weeks because I didn't get my large Labatt's. It took awhile to realize that I had to leave the section and find a beer cart next to the Maui Wowee (?) to get something other than Bud when I bought a $7.50 size. As soon as I did, that game we started to win.

"Beer. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."

-Homer Simpson :wink:

It is SO good to see maniacs like me. I think most of all of you know my superstitions.

1. Wear the exact same thing each time. (Everything washed, of course.)

2. Same make-up. For the guys, I'm sure this is stupid but for the ladies, they may understand.

3. Drink one Michelob Lite on the way to the arena.

4. Park in same lot, same space if possible.

5. Enter in the same door.

6. Get a brew.

7. Go to smoking area and hook up w/ the friends.

8. Sit in same seat Sect. 114 Row J

If watching at home for away game:

1. Wear mix-matched pj's and white robe 'ala Commodore.

2. Sit in same chair.

3. Eat same kind of snacks.

4. Drink same drink. Having seconds readily available.

5. Put TV on "Pause" if phone rings, bathroom break, Sami needs doggie pee pee break, etc. NOT missing a thang on that TV!

It's all ludicrous but hey, we took the CUP last year.

The real reason the Canes won the Cup is due to the Dippin Dots we got during the 2nd TV timeout of the 2nd period of each game.

Thank goodness that ended with the playoffs...it cost me an extra $5 per game, and I didn't even get my name on the Cup for it!!

Watching the games at home I:

1. Wear my jersey (Durr)

2. Have Havarti cheese and crackers.

3. Have one brew down before the game.

Last year I had certain shoes I wore for every game. They almost never matched anything else I wore but I wore em all the same.

:D

I dont have any yet this year, but last season in the playoffs, i went to a LOT of games and i got stuck wearing jeans a t-shirt and flipflops. i was FREEZING, but hey, the canes won when i wore what i was supposed to so i suffered through