The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
5pointscanesfan

songs during practice...

One song I know that I've heard at games lately (but don't recall if it's during the skate or just between periods) is "Battle of One" by 30 Seconds to Mars.

I remember "Where the Streets Have no Name" became a popular pre-game skate song for alot of teams a couple years ago....

From personal experience I hate music at hockey games...I mean from a players perspective. When i played youths hockey I made it to the championship in a christmas tournament one year.....they played music inbetween whistles and I have to tell you it drove me nuts. It was one stressful game and every faceoff felt like a life and death situation. I'd put my mind in the game and try to concentrate as much as I could, only to have my concentration broken by some Green Day song.....I wanted to throw my stick at the one tiny press box.

I remember "Where the Streets Have no Name" became a popular pre-game skate song for alot of teams a couple years ago....

From personal experience I hate music at hockey games...I mean from a players perspective. When i played youths hockey I made it to the championship in a christmas tournament one year.....they played music inbetween whistles and I have to tell you it drove me nuts. It was one stressful game and every faceoff felt like a life and death situation. I'd put my mind in the game and try to concentrate as much as I could, only to have my concentration broken by some Green Day song.....I wanted to throw my stick at the one tiny press box.

I may be mistaken here, but I don't think that even remotely helped to answer the question that was asked. :lol: :wink:

No it didn't but it was a funy story i wanted to share...anyone who has played hockey would probably understand and get a good chuckle out of it.

Hoyle, I'm with ya. Still play in a old mans league and someone had the great idea to play Metal tunes between whistles and here I am in net having a tough enough time trying to keep that damn puck out of it and when I can get a breather...BAM...couldn't stand it

BAD BAD BAD idea

BAD

the music is such a big part of the atmosphere, think about it. How would "Rock You Like a Hurricane" sound on an effing organ. And what about the "Lets Go Canes" song?

I agree with dboon. It's part of the hockey tradition.

I've only heard that song ten zillion times, so I wouldn't mind a change.

IMO, organ music is for slow sports like baseball or for church. I'm not ready to give up heavy metal and rock and roll (and some would say I am over the hill) so I sure hope there will be some loud new music at the RBC tonight. I will bring mine for the tail gate part of the experience including Lost Prophets and Sugar Cult.

Yes, AO gets it! I don't dislike all the music entirely, I just wish there was less. I've never been to the RBC Center so I can't comment on the music and stuff there since all I know of it is from what I've read or heard from people who've been there.

Organ music is a big part of hockey though, and I love hearing it. I'd rather hear that than all this crazy Sugarcult/Linkin Park stuff. Sometimes that stuff can fit, but many times I'd rather not hear it. I'd rather just hear chants and the organ when the play is stopped. If they're going to play music, they should play things like, "The Good Old Hockey Game" and that stuff.

And for the record, I'm 19. Just so you know I'm not an old traditionalist who was watching the NHL before there was all the flashy stuff. haha

They should just play organ music and nothing else, that would be perfect. Things are too flashy nowadays.

I'm going to go a head and disagree here. I grew up going to the Flyers games and they did little more than just the organ. And from what I hear from my brother who still lives up there, that's about all they do now. And honestly, it's rather dull. The music and videos, etc. that they do between periods and during stops in play are designed to keep the crowed pumped and entertained.

My brother came down for his first Canes game last year and he was blown away with how much the organization works to keep everyone entertained and pumped up at every moment.

They should just play organ music and nothing else, that would be perfect. Things are too flashy nowadays.

I'm going to go a head and disagree here. I grew up going to the Flyers games and they did little more than just the organ. And from what I hear from my brother who still lives up there, that's about all they do now. And honestly, it's rather dull. The music and videos, etc. that they do between periods and during stops in play are designed to keep the crowed pumped and entertained.

My brother came down for his first Canes game last year and he was blown away with how much the organization works to keep everyone entertained and pumped up at every moment.

The Phantoms at the old Spectrum still use a lot of organ music, but the Flyers definitely don't rely solely on the organ for their game ops presentation. Especially with the new high-def scoreboard and the addition of a second LED ribbon this year, there are always videos being played during stoppages ranging from historical features to ads to in-arena promotions. The music during warmups, stoppages, and intermissions rarely is the organ except to lead some of the cheers leading up to a faceoff.

I think that its pretty lame that Americans constantly feel the need to be entertained continuously. Are you afraid you can't make enough noise yourselves to get you pumped up for the game? I think the game itself is exciting enough to get me going, but thats just me. What, do you people have adhd? need some ritalin? If you're afraid of being bored for a second or having a chance to hear yourself think or talk about the game, save your money and watch some flashy action flick on your tv. You can play these tunes in your car on the way to the game and actually get to pick the ones you like instead of having it all shoved down your throat.

All i'm saying is just have some respect for tradition, okay?

Somebody needs to chill. ADHD and Ritalin? :roll: Come on it was just a post about who likes organ music or who likes the current music played at the games. If you start getting all twisted about the musical choice and whether we should listen to the tunes in the car instead of the RBC then maybe that person should just stay home...after all he/she could hit the mute button every time a comercial came on that bothered him/her. The total purpose of going to a sporting event IS TO BE ENTERTAINED whether it is to see a great athlete, a good play, or just a night out. The musical choice adds to that entertainment.

To answer the original question- The song was "Revalations" by Audioslave.

Also, I agree that the organ adds a lot to the mix, Larry O is an old-school hockey guy from Chicago and knows how to create a give and go with the crowd. But there is an expression- "Less Is More". think about it- If all we did have was organ then it would soon loose its luster.

Besides, the different styles of music help to develop an ambiance and vibe during a game that is undeniable.

Not to mention that the players themselves give their music requests and have said how certain songs motivate them while on the ice.

How do I know this? *edit*, I'm Chase McCoy!