The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
1-Caniac

weak attendance

but it just looks like fans in Carolina lost interest because the Canes havn't been playing too well in the last 4 games. That's what it looks like on the surface.

Yes, if you only look at the surface, that could be your assumption. And looking at the surface is easy to do, especially when it can result in an indirect slam against the fan base in Raleigh. That slam would be that the fan base in Raleigh is soft, fickled and not real hockey fans, only bandwagon fans. I'm sure that is not what you meant.

An earlier response, which would have required scratching the below the surface, hit on the main problem. Tuesday's game was not in either 10 game package, nor was it in the 24 game package. Thursday's games was only in one ten game package, not in the 24 game package. Having sell-outs would have required a large number of walk-up buyers of tickets. That is not likely for games in the middle of the week.

It is also possible that the opponents did not generate the excitement to drive walk-up sales. Usually, teams like Buffalo, Detroit, Philly, etc. tend to create more of a buzz in the area and leads to more fans, of both teams, buying tickets. From a true hockey perspective, this is disappointing because Montreal and Ottawa are teams that, from a competitive viewpoint, should excite and draw fans as well.

I think those reasons are a little more substantive and valid that just surface observations.

i agree, we always sell out when we play detroit but it isn't realistic for us to play 82 games against detroit. when you have a game that is only on one of the three game plans and not on the 24 then attendance will suffer. i for one have a 24 game plan and am thankful that most of the games are on weekends!!

For some reason, Montreal is the team that I get the least excited about playing against out of all of the teams we face. I think it may be their boring jersey.

There are really no "big name" players on Montreal that a casual fan would recognize other than maybe Kovalev that would get them excited to come and see play against the Canes.

wow, even some canes fan has to be surprised by that post. That is the reason why some have said hockey won't work in the south. Not excited because the jersey is boring.....No big names.....hockey is hockey, never know when you might see an unforgettable game, could be any team. Boring jersey.......lol.........c'mon

wow, even some canes fan has to be surprised by that post. That is the reason why some have said hockey won't work in the south. Not excited because the jersey is boring.....No big names.....hockey is hockey, never know when you might see an unforgettable game, could be any team. Boring jersey.......lol.........c'mon

I think the point he is trying to make is that hockey is still growing here and if a team coming in to play doesn't have a big name player, your not going to get the casual walk up fan.

For example: when Pittsburgh came it was a sell out. But they also have Crosby who many people have heard of? Some of the teams including Montreal just doesn't have that big named player who the casual fan would recognize.

I understand all that but if I was a canes fan , I would even have to yell at this guy. Really, how many teams have the BIG name players...Jagr,Crosby......hmmmmmmmm...see what I'm trying to say

Jagr, Crosby, Sakic, Ovechkin, Malkin, those are big names that pretty nearly everybody knows.

Koivu, Kovalev, Straka, Recchi, LeClair, Kovalchuk, St.Louis, Heatley, anyone who knows something about hockey can pick them out.

Without the aid of a search engine, a team site, or any other outside form of information, name 1 player on New Jersey you would come to a game to see play.

Now name someone on the Florida Panthers.

Someone other than Mats Sundin on Toronto.

The 'Canes have been in Carolina for 9 1/2 years. They're still developing a fanbase. Eventually attendance will be more mainstream, like it is in Philadelphia or New York.

Everything takes time.

Jagr, Crosby, Sakic, Ovechkin, Malkin, those are big names that pretty nearly everybody knows.

Koivu, Kovalev, Straka, Recchi, LeClair, Kovalchuk, St.Louis, Heatley, anyone who knows something about hockey can pick them out.

Without the aid of a search engine, a team site, or any other outside form of information, name 1 player on New Jersey you would come to a game to see play.

Does Martin Brodeur count?

Does Martin Brodeur count?

Leave it to an attendance thread to generate 3 pages in a matter of hours...

In my mind it is what it is. These two games don't suddenly mean the team should move. Weeknight games against Canadian teams (except maybe the Leafs) have never been a good recipe for a big crowd here. Not being on most of the ticket plans makes it even worse. The last 2 crowds have been disappointing, but its not the end of the world here.

On the brighter side, we've sold out 6 of 12 home games. Our 6th sellout last season wasn't until Jan. 28th (Ron Francis Night). While that could also be seen as an indictment of our attendace last season, lets think positive here!

Hey, Whatthepuck, I hesitate to ask, but what would you have gotten if the Habs had won? Must have been pretty sweet to risk all this "humiliation"! 8)

I hate to derail the thread..but..

It was a bet with two other people on the boards here, and if the Habs would have won they were going to sport new signatures that said 'I'd pick the Habs over the Hurricanes anyday' until 2007... well, we all know how it turned out..

Yes, if you only look at the surface, that could be your assumption. And looking at the surface is easy to do, especially when it can result in an indirect slam against the fan base in Raleigh. That slam would be that the fan base in Raleigh is soft, fickled and not real hockey fans, only bandwagon fans. I'm sure that is not what you meant.

I wasn't looking at the surface that way, I was basing it in comparison to Carolina's tendency to abandon their team in the past when they start to struggle....particularly in their 03-04 season.

An earlier response, which would have required scratching the below the surface, hit on the main problem. Tuesday's game was not in either 10 game package, nor was it in the 24 game package. Thursday's games was only in one ten game package, not in the 24 game package. Having sell-outs would have required a large number of walk-up buyers of tickets. That is not likely for games in the middle of the week.

This is a problem then, not a viable reason. It was the same problem Hartford had in generating small attendance.

It is also possible that the opponents did not generate the excitement to drive walk-up sales. Usually, teams like Buffalo, Detroit, Philly, etc. tend to create more of a buzz in the area and leads to more fans, of both teams, buying tickets.

See this argument clashes with the Big Name Players argument brought up. Buffalo doesn't have any Big name players, I'm sorry Briere, as talented as he is, is not a Jagr or Sakic. And Koivu's bout with cancer has made him one of the more famous faces across the league, no different then how Armstrong has made millions of viewers tune into the boring sport of riding a bicycle across France.

The 'Canes have been in Carolina for 9 1/2 years. They're still developing a fanbase. Eventually attendance will be more mainstream, like it is in Philadelphia or New York.

I'm willing to accept this argument, but only marginally.....Because if this excuse is accurate, then the Carolina hurricanes wins the record for being the franchise to take the longest time to build a fanbase.

While you are busy slamming us, how much do you really know about this area?? Probably not much!! Given the STH base in what is traditionally a "non hockey" market we are doing quiet well thank you!!!

We went TUES - We are going SAT .......... and bringing another couple to their first game...... I am doing my part.

I wonder how many posters here who are being critical of the attendence have actually been to a hockey game of any sort this year ?

Last nights game was listed as a sell out on account manager ........ obviously it was not - but it makes you wonder how many who purchased tickets actually showed.

I think more tickets are being sold than people actually showing - thats a problem but at least there is a revenue stream regardless if people are using thier tickets.

Harris Teeter has corporate seats all over the arena - I rarely see those seats filled - I am sure this is the same with other large companies in the area.

Seriously, look at some other teams with sea's of empty seats in their arena. Yeah there aren't people there but a lot of those seats are sold, I'm sure it's the same with us, maybe not as many are sold but still I'd say there are a few emptys that are paid for.

Man I wish I lived in Raleigh I'd be like so broke from going to games.

I think we'll be ok, being the Mecca of College basketball with 3 legendary teams within a few miles of eachother really doesn't help hockey that's for sure. Still I think it will prevail

While you are busy slamming us, how much do you really know about this area?? Probably not much!! Given the STH base in what is traditionally a "non hockey" market we are doing quiet well thank you!!!

Nothing I said was slamming....it was all facts....

Dont get all defensive about facts. This is the first year you've had a successful STH base. The reason why i have a problem with this has nothing to do with "southern hockey", "traditional markets" or any of that other usual nonsense argued about in here.

I must admit that I have not done the indepth analysis of attendance for Montreal similar to the one you have done for us, mainly because I don't give a crap about Montreal's attendance. Additionally, I can't speak to the "tendencies" of Canes fans and I live in Raleigh. I not sure how you sitting up in Canada are any better equipped to speak to that, but if it makes you feel better to think you understand, so be it.

Using your logic, the game tomorrow nite should be poorly attended. After all, we are 2-3 in our last 5 games and our "tendency" is to abandon our team. I mean, we did play better last nite and kick your butt, but it is only one game. Surely a fickled fan base such as ours will not be deterred from running away from the Canes based on one game. So, come Sunday, check back in and we shall see how the attendance tomorrow nite goes. I will allow you that it should increase slightly, as we did win last nite, again kicking your butt. But in no way should it increase much, since our "tendency" is to abandon our team.

So, on Sunday, lets see how accurate your analysis is, ok? Until then, you can hold off on insulting the fans of the Carolina Hurricanes and find something else to keep you busy....maybe posting on your board is something to look into.

I have a problem with this because I don't like any team at the bottom of the financial bracket. The new CBA has introduced strict revenue sharing....so if the Canes (who were like at the bottom of the revenue latter last year) don't produce enough attendance and subsequently enough revenue, the other teams have to compensate for their loss.

so of course you don't care what Montreal's attendance is like, as long as a part of their revenue dollar is going into your team's pocket.

[edit] And don't bring nationality into this...that's pathetic.

Nothing I said was slamming....it was all facts....

Not slamming, huh? Claiming that Canes fans are losing interest and abandoning the team is a fact?

Please tell me where the fact is that the fans are abandoning the team this year based on two games. Come back on Sunday and prove that fact.

What you stated was your opinion, not a fact. Surely you know the difference. When the attendance numbers come out for Saturday's game, we will see how well your opinion about Canes fan abandoning the team stands up.

Until then, your opinion really means nothing to anyone except you.

And don't bring nationality into this...that's pathetic

LOL..saying you live in Canada is not really bring nationality into this, now is it? I was pointing out that if I, living in Raleigh, can't figure out the tendencies of this crowd, how can someone who lives 1500 miles away figure it out.

Surely you can figure that out.

Dude seriously, go away...you're acting like a crybaby.

All I said was facts seem to point in a certain directly.....do you even know what you're talking about.....look up your attendance history.

2002-2003: 15,682

2003-3004: 12,171

In one year your average attendance dropped 3500.....not many teams in the NHL see that kind of drop in a single season, it's usually over 2 or 3 years. So no, I'm not slamming your team, I'm providing simple facts. If you can't deal with that then don't reply to me.

The main problem here is you're trying to label me as some Canadian hockey elitist. Please instead of labelling me something I'm not, trying actually looking up the CBA...because you obviously have no clue how it works.