The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
1-Caniac

weak attendance

I have a problem with this because I don't like any team at the bottom of the financial bracket. The new CBA has introduced strict revenue sharing....so if the Canes (who were like at the bottom of the revenue latter last year) don't produce enough attendance and subsequently enough revenue, the other teams have to compensate for their loss.

so of course you don't care what Montreal's attendance is like, as long as a part of their revenue dollar is going into your team's pocket.

So you have a vested interest in attendence league wide ?

Just how many games have you gone to and supported your precious franchise this year ?

considering I live 6 hours away from montreal....only once....because to see a game there costs me about 3 times the amount then someone living in Raleigh going to canes game

but i did see them once in to and once in Buffalo

considering I live 6 hours away from montreal....only once....because to see a game there costs me about 3 times the amount then someone living in Raleigh going to canes game

How about minor league hockey ... surely there is something for you within your immediate area - given that your in such a hotbed for the sport.

then i stand corrected for 05-06....

but if your attendance drops like it did in 03-04 then yes you will qualify for revenue sharing.

And the reason why I take offense to Carolina the most, has nothing to do with the fans....your owner was quoted saying "with the NHL's new Revenue sharing, I dont' have to worry about increasing attendance to break even". Also keep in mind your player salary was 28.1 mil last year, this year it's 36 (not including Kaberle) and maybe more by the time the playoffs role around. If they had the same payroll last year that they do this year they would probably have been closer to qualifying for revenue sharing.

How about minor league hockey ... surely there is something for you within your immediate area - given that your in such a hotbed for the sport.

If you're implying I should be going to every single Hamilton Bulldogs game....AHL attendance is dismal everywhere....but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Man look at poor NJ, 3 stanley cups and they like have nobody going to their games

Agreed....NJ needs to fix that big time.....but New Jersey's problem isn't that no one is interested in Devils games, the problem is 75% of the hockey population around New Jersey are already die hard Ranger fans.

And the reason why I take offense to Carolina the most, has nothing to do with the fans....your owner was quoted saying "with the NHL's new Revenue sharing, I dont' have to worry about increasing attendance to break even". Also keep in mind your player salary was 28.1 mil last year, this year it's 36 (not including Kaberle) and maybe more by the time the playoffs role around. If they had the same payroll last year that they do this year they would probably have been closer to qualifying for revenue sharing.

Then take up the attendance argument w/ Peter Karmanos, since it has nothing to do w/ us, the fans of this hockey club (which is funny, because that's who your debating this with). This arguement gets brought up again & again, & in this thread as is w/ every other time, it proves very little & is pointless evey time this subject appears.

And don't tell our members to "go away"... this is our board, wheather you like what someone has to say about your little argument or not, wheather their posts are "acceptable" to you or not. If you don't like the replies, then don't post on here, esp. about this subject, since it has nothing to do with us, right? It's simple.

Man look at poor NJ, 3 stanley cups and they like have nobody going to their games

Agreed....NJ needs to fix that big time.....but New Jersey's problem isn't that no one is interested in Devils games, the problem is 75% of the hockey population around New Jersey are already die hard Ranger fans.

My friend and I are actually going to NJ for a devils/canes game.

Section300....I took offense because he attacked me, when i didn't start anything to begin with.....

go back on this thread and see how the debate started.

Hoyle - you remind me of an ex - she would itch and snipe at you until you finally snapped and then she's be like "What did I say" "I'm sorry I did not mean anything by it" -- you have an agenda here. It obvious to even the dullest of us slow witted southerners.

Perhaps if you spent more time on the Habs board and supporting your local AHL team you would spend less here - saving yourself all the aggravation of educating us ignorant newbies to the sport.

My circle of friends has a word to describe people like you - unfortunately I can't use it here.

No I'm getting labelled for soemthing I'm not....that's the 3rd time the Northern/southern market thing has been thrown at me here....I didn't make any references to anything like that.

My friend and I are actually going to NJ for a devils/canes game.

Right on, I hope you have fun

Come on man - quit playing stupid .... you know what your doing.

I think you are just attention starved and just love stirring the crap pot here.

Seriously I'm not doing anything....You've seen me on plenty of threads in here Motor and I've defended the Canes on just a many issues as i have gone against them. I really don't appreciate being labelled an elitist, which is what you're trying to do because it's the quickest way to get the general population of members in here to hate me.

Carolina is not going to be able to win the cup every year and there will be rebuilding years as in every franchise. Attendance can't drop to 12 000 that's all i was saying.

For now on I'll stay out of threads that talk about this subject, but don't get mad at me for merely stating facts. Maybe i did play on word when I said "CArolina fans have a tendency to abandon their team"....I appologies for that....Obviously it has it's core group of fans.

At the risk of agitating things even more, I think Hoyle is getting a bit of a bum rap ... Let's just say the sum of this thread, to capture both extremes, is: The fan base and interest overall in the Canes and the sport locally (judging by things like local news coverage, office "water cooler" talk, the number of car magnets-flags-license plates, etc.) has come a LOOOOOONG way in a relatively short time .... but it could be better. Fair enough?

Hoyle - to be honest I have seen nothing but backhanded compliments from you concerning the Hurricanes even on the posts where you say you take up for them.

Can't you make a point with out being such a little itch about it ......... think about it. Your on a Hurricanaes message board sporting HAB colors - most of the time being critical of out team ..........sure its your right as long as your within the rules but don't expect everybody not to take offense.

Its like storking a cat's fur backward - yeah you petted the cat but did you really make it happy ........ its not coming back for more if you catch my drift.

Assuming your a grown man with any bit of intellect - you have to know what your doing here is nothing but aggravating and irratating to those here who came to talk Hurricanes hockey - not defend it.

I'll stand by my previous evaluation - your attention starved .... at least until you prove me other wise.

Dude seriously, go away...you're acting like a crybaby

LOL...really, I am? Then you say this..

I took offense because he attacked me, when i didn't start anything to begin with.....

Now who is crying??????? Didn't say anything to begin with???? Let me refresh your memory

but it just looks like fans in Carolina lost interest because the Canes havn't been playing too well in the last 4 games. That's what it looks like on the surface.
I wasn't looking at the surface, I was basing it in comparison to Carolina's tendency to abandon their team in the past when they start to struggle

You want to come to our board and bash Canes fans by saying they are fair weather fans, that they abandon their team? You are here trying to stir things up, then when you do that, you quickly fall back into the "I was attacked, I didn't say anything".

I really don't appreciate being labelled an elitist, which is what you're trying to do because it's the quickest way to get the general population of members in here to hate me.

Actually, your posts can take care of that, partner.

As far as being a fairweather fan, I have been a season ticket holder since 2002. I have been to well over 150 games, when we were winning and when we were losing. And the last thing I want to hear is some Montreal Canadian fan coming on this board insulting our fan base. Like I said, your opinion, and that is all it is, of our fan base doesn't mean a thing to me.

So, friend, you go away. I'm sure you have someplace where you can spew your opinions and be worshipped and admired. This isn't that place. Sorry.

This thread started to go downhill when you came back with this. The tone was ugly and in my opinion a little uncalled for.

I must admit that I have not done the indepth analysis of attendance for Montreal similar to the one you have done for us, mainly because I don't give a crap about Montreal's attendance. Additionally, I can't speak to the "tendencies" of Canes fans and I live in Raleigh. I not sure how you sitting up in Canada are any better equipped to speak to that, but if it makes you feel better to think you understand, so be it.

Using your logic, the game tomorrow nite should be poorly attended. After all, we are 2-3 in our last 5 games and our "tendency" is to abandon our team. I mean, we did play better last nite and kick your butt, but it is only one game. Surely a fickled fan base such as ours will not be deterred from running away from the Canes based on one game. So, come Sunday, check back in and we shall see how the attendance tomorrow nite goes. I will allow you that it should increase slightly, as we did win last nite, again kicking your butt. But in no way should it increase much, since our "tendency" is to abandon our team.

So, on Sunday, lets see how accurate your analysis is, ok? Until then, you can hold off on insulting the fans of the Carolina Hurricanes and find something else to keep you busy....maybe posting on your board is something to look into.

It seems like you initially got all flustered about this.

I'm sure you have your legitimate reasons.....but it just looks like fans in Carolina lost interest because the Canes havn't been playing too well in the last 4 games. That's what it looks like on the surface.

Nothing in that post was bashing Canes fans. I said that's what it looked like. I never said that's what it was, that's why I said, I'm sure you have your legitimate reasons.

So can we let this issue drop already. And it's Montreal Canadiens, get it right at least.