The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Brindy misses practices?

Yeah, at the practice last weekend Brindy wasn't there.. and I was freaking out because I knew something must have gone wrong for Brindy not to be at practice!

It was really weird.

Are the Canes still doing practices where they have the families of the players come watch and hang around afterwards? If not, then Brindy probably took time off to spend with his kids.

Flanker, I'm with you. It could easily be something going on with his kids that missing practice gave him the opportunity to be with them - or there could be other family considerations.

We can all just try to breathe deeply, think good thoughts of Captain, Our Captain, and just send up good wishes on his behalf. It's hard not to worry about our 'heart' man, though.

Hey - next time any of y'all go to practice and somebody like Roddy is "missing" and you don't come back here and report it - 50 lashes with the proverbial wet noodle! We heard about who signed and didn't sign autographs, and who was with their kids,etc, but NO MENTION of Brindy being AWOL until today!!! :evil:

Just a hunch here but I think the Captain may be nursing a leg injury. My family and I were at the game in Boston last week. We were at ice level watching the warmups and my sons noticed that Brindy was continually stretching the legs out and wincing in pain. Hope I'm wrong but I just don't buy the "he's resting" explanation regarding missing practices. By the way, we were the folks they showed on FSN celebrating after our 2nd and 4th goals in Beantown.

It might even be soming personal....a mother-in-law in the hospital or something, you never know. I'm not starting any rumour that it is, I'm just saying sometimes it's good to be cautious about these things when talking about them, because some players keep certain aspects of their personal life, personal.

Before the game the other night Chuck K was saying that Brindy was fighting thru some "physical issues". Whatever that means who knows. It could be anything.

He's most likely just tired from carrying the team on his back. Unlike some guys, he takes his time off in practice rather than the games.

Well, the 'wincing while stretching' observation indicates that he possibly strained (tore) muscle/ligament/tendon fibers. Not a BIG deal, but such tears only heal through lack of use so the fibers can fill in the rip with new cell growth. Even walking around the house is "use", so him being given time off practice makes perfect sense. The more he is inactive, the faster the new cell growth can take place while not making the original tear even bigger. Stuff like sessions in the warm whirlpool brings blood to the area and that encourages new cell growth, too, so he could be logging more time in the training room - or the spa tub right at home so that there is even less 'travel' for him.

Rest well, Cap'n! Grow, cells, Grow! :D

Well, the 'wincing while stretching' observation indicates that he possibly strained (tore) muscle/ligament/tendon fibers. Not a BIG deal, but such tears only heal through lack of use so the fibers can fill in the rip with new cell growth. Even walking around the house is "use", so him being given time off practice makes perfect sense. The more he is inactive, the faster the new cell growth can take place while not making the original tear even bigger. Stuff like sessions in the warm whirlpool brings blood to the area and that encourages new cell growth, too, so he could be logging more time in the training room - or the spa tub right at home so that there is even less 'travel' for him.

Rest well, Cap'n! Grow, cells, Grow! :D

you just dropped science on us!

-loco.

'loco - I was a student trainer in undergrad, as well as lettering four years in my own sport (tennis). Strains are an occupational hazard in athletics. We ice/massage/whirlpool/wrap & tape - all to encourage healing and support the affected area, but the bottom line is, not using the affected limb is the one sure-fire "cure" to healing. Of course, keeping an athlete "quiet" is like putting a finger in the hole of a dam. Even knowing what I knew as a trainer, and I continued into the medical field, I still blythely ignored standard treatment advice if it didn't suit my hard-headed personal agenda. Of course, no one was paying me $$$ to use those limbs, either! These guys are accustomed to playing through pain, but the only way to return to 100% without causing more damage is to 'lay off' for awhile. So Rod and the Canes' trainers are smart - lay him low so that he will heal rather than risk even more injury by pretending everything is fine.

Such simple injuries can escalate into crippling ones if ignored. If this is what is going on, then kudos to the decision makers and Rod himself for being smart. In the long run, this is what is better for the team AND for him. But you can bet he is chomping at the bit. I wonder how much duct tape someone is using to tie him down and restrict his normal routine???

I'd hate to be his "keeper" LOL :shock:

Nonsense, rest is for the weak. Brind'Amour doesn't need rest, he's a machine.

No rest it was actually to have his 1000+ point overhaul back at the robot factory he was created at. They had to send him back via UPS, hard to get him in a crate tho!

He's still looking a bit sore (tonight against Boston). From the way he's skating, I'd guess a back strain or spasm.

That's one tough guy to be skating through something like that.