The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bogordoug

Thomas's comment about the game

It was a close game till the third and the idea is score not be nice to the opposition. Add to the fact our team has not been lighting up of late I imagine they wanted to get Lavi off thier backs and go into the road trip with some confidence.

And yes- all teams try to set guys up for the hat trick - duh !

Thomas should spend more time working on his game and less running his mouth because its Boston's lack of GT that is killing them.

Hockey is one of those games where you can't exactly stop playing. I mean you can play keep away with the puck, but only for so long before the other team takes advantage of the passive game. So we keep pushing and scoring goals...not to demoralize Thomas but to enhance our game and our team morale. So Thomas should just keep his mouth shut.

Thomas should spend more time working on his game and less running his mouth because its Boston's lack of GT that is killing them.

Agreed....considering the only noteable players who have contracts that expire by the end of the season are Belanger and Whitney, I don't even see how his comments make sense.

Never, ever throttle back. I don't even buy Thomas' line of reasoning in a C-league game, but an NHL goalie complaining about a team going hard the whole way? Puh-lease!

He just wishes he was part of a team that COULD score "contract enhancement points".

They being tied for 13th place in the East in total goals and all. :wink:

bogodorg - is there a link to Thomas' comments? Just curious what all it entailed what how it came about.

I agree that his off the wall comment made little sense and I have no idea what it's supposed to be an excuse for or explanation for. What are players supposed to do according to him? Not touch the puck because there is a chance that someone might score and they might get a "contract enhancing point"? That might work for Boston this year but I'd have a serious case of the Bruins if the Canes would ever have a stupid attitude like that. As mentioned earlier, in the new NHL a two goal lead means little, argo you try to get as many as you can, if for no other reason than entertainment value.

I only know that after whatever it was that Lavi tried and didn't work in NY, it sure was good to see a nice gameflow, chemistry and bunch of chances again by the Canes. And since we're talking about the Boston Bruins which are so dear to my Whaler heart anyways, they can't be scored on enough by the Canes anyways, or anyone else in the entire league for that matter. 8)

That comment was total BS. The canes didn't complain one bit after that 9-0 thumping by atlanta last year,(a game where the thrashers clearly did run up the score) they just got right back to work. Thats the worst attitude I have ever seen.

If find it ironic since Thomas has an important part in determining how many goals we score. I'd hate to hear what he has to say about the Slugs and their ability to run up 7-8 goals a game.

If find it ironic since Thomas has an important part in determining how many goals we score. I'd hate to hear what he has to say about the Slugs and their ability to run up 7-8 goals a game.

we need to run up 7-8 goals a game we have been letting in 6-7 goals a game lately

As long as we can keep putting 2 in the "W" I don't care if we let in 10

John

Yeah, I noticed that about the Sabres. They can run up the score big time...but when they do, they always let in a few too many. It's kinda odd that they have two solid goalies but they are still giving up 4,5 and sometimes 6 goals a game. (Not on a daily basis). No matter how much I dislike this team, you have to show them a lot of respect for playing the game with such tenacity and grit. They will play hard for all 3 periods and more. *golf clap* for the Slugs...I mean Sabres.

I'm off the soap box.

Thomas is hardly the problem in Boston Chara isnt half the defencemen hes made out to be and big bulking d-men are struggling in this league and the Bruins have 3!

Every goal except maybe 1 Thomas was in a full split in his attempt to make a save.... the fact he was even there on a few of the goals I was impressed.

Just cause he talked out of his *edit* doesnt mean hes the problem in Boston, the problem is entirely to slow defencemen which causes problems getting the puck to the offense.

^^^ Probably not, but that's quite hilarious. TIMMY!!

My daughter's idea, and I thought it was pretty good one too... only thing she missed was drawing an exact copy... shoulda' put him in "B's" jersey in the wheelchair!

Agreed....considering the only noteable players who have contracts that expire by the end of the season are Belanger and Whitney, I don't even see how his comments make sense.

Quite. I had that same thought. Of the guys who did the damage in that game the three who did the most just signed new contracts this off-season. Wasn't sure about Whitney's status, so his goal might've been considered "contract enhancing". I think it was really more a case of "That's just Ray being Ray."

I posted this in the Game Day thread for the Boston Game when I read it.

"They're a point-hungry team," Thomas said. "I'm not talking about points for the win. The end of the game there, they were all doing a little bit of cheating to get their point totals up, so they can get a bigger contract next time."

NHL.com - Bruins G - Tim Thomas on the 12/2/2006 game at RBC

"Bigger contract next time."

Let's examine that for a moment. Brind'Amour, Cole and Williams just signed substantial multi-year deals. I seriously doubt they're already beinning a "salary drive". Whitney's terms I don't recall, and Staal won't be eligible for UFA status for several years (though I'm not sure when his current contract expires).

Timmy, it's far more likely that if there was any stat-padding going on late in the game it was more closely related to the well-documented coaching philosophy "You want more ice time, you produce." espoused by Laviolette and his staff. But seriously Tim, aside from maybe the last goal how can you call this "running it up"? You go into the third with a 1-goal lead, an insurance marker is always a good thing to have. And the last one? Well, face it pal... your boys didn't exactly make it difficult.

I'm mystified by this one.

Running it up? Padding stats? No.

Relentless? Yes!

And it's also a valid point made by many that TT is in the unique position of being able to prevent those "extra" goals -- singlehandedly if need be -- making his comments all the more ironic.

Thomas if off my chit list ............ congrats on letting in fewer than Huet last night - your my hero - at least for today.

That was a fun one to watch although not exactly a clinic on goaltending.

Cole had the #3 goal of the week per Versus but Engbloom called it the "best goal of the year" in case anyone missed it.