The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OldAndSlow

Why the change in Traffic Patterns

OldandSlow I'm just as upset about this as you. I actually started a thread tonight under Off topic. I paid for a premium parking pass w/ my season tix. I haven't seen the traffic/parking problems this bad in all the years I've been coming.

I can get into the lot, but getting out is a nightmare and our Lot (west side) is Premium for about 6 rows then general parking towards the back. Its absolute gridlock when you try to leave, no attendants around to control flow out of the rows & like tonight, no movement whatsoever.

I got out fairly early after the game and was the 3rd car in my row waiting to get into the exit lane. I sat there for 15mins & we hadn't moved. I finally got out of the queue and went to the first row which they finally opened up to the VIP outbound lane. That was at 10pm.

This is just part of the problem - I don't know who is the Einstein who decides on the actual traffic pattern but it ain't workin'. I've got a letter drafted to send to the Management at RBC & cc: Rutherford - I'll email it tomorrow. I sent a note to my Sales Rep last January on this same subject and it got their attention, Rutherford called a special Parking meeting - things improved for a while but seems someone else maybe in charge this year.

Don't give up on your Season Tix....we just need to make management aware and demand that they make improvements.

I haven't had trouble getting in, but getting out is a nightmare.

I've actually had a few Premier passes that friends gave me and getting in is a breeze. But when it comes time to leave we sit there and watch as 20-30 cars from general parking leave via Wade Ave. for every one in Premier. And then the Premier group get stuck in the traffic on Westchase. Seems like they have it backwards. In the past, VIP and Premier meant that you could get in and out easily. Guess that's not the case anymore. Glad I didn't pay for any of the Premier passes or I'd be demanding my money back.

they close the exit for Edwards Mill from Wade avenue when the traffic backs up on Wade and hinders the flow of traffic. They did it alteast twice last year(once for Francis retirement jersey thingy and once during a playoff game). The Canes sent out an email at the beginning of the year that they would close the Edwards Mill exit when it backed up on Wade and traffic wouldn't move. I hate it too bc we use the Edwards Mill exit to park in the west parking lot so we understand the frustration!

they close the exit for Edwards Mill from Wade avenue when the traffic backs up on Wade and hinders the flow of traffic.

That strategy clearly isn't working, because last night the line on Wade to get off at Blue Ridge was backed up far beyond Edwards Mill. Instead of using two SHP cruisers to block the Edwards Mill exit, they could split the traffic between the two entrances.

The Edwards Mill entrance was part of the the RBC's design. Arbitrarily shutting down one of the major entrances makes no sense. The result is an even worse backup on the other entrances. At 7:30 last night there was ONE entrance with a single lane of traffic operating for the entire RBC center.

And even if there's a good reason to shut down the exit from I-40 onto Edward's Mill, there's absolutely no reason to take a 3 lane entrance and pylon it off into a single lane.

Frankly, I'd rather see them move the games back to 7:30 if they can't handle the rush hour traffic. At least then I'd get to see the entire game.

is their no public transport to the game? like a metro system? would make sense wouldnt it really?

The Triangle area isn't really a "mass transit" type of place. We have a bus system but that is about it. And I don't think any buses run to the arena.

is their no public transport to the game? like a metro system? would make sense wouldnt it really?

The Triangle area isn't really a "mass transit" type of place. We have a bus system but that is about it. And I don't think any buses run to the arena.

so then if i was say to come over how would i get to the arena without driving? ( i wouldnt drive because im on holiday to relax). is it not near the city centre at all or near any hotels with taxi ride range?

so then if i was say to come over how would i get to the arena without driving? ( i wouldnt drive because im on holiday to relax). is it not near the city centre at all or near any hotels with taxi ride range?

The arena is located off a major highway, but not in a downtown area. There are a couple of hotels close, but not really walking distance. Taxis are definitely available, but pretty expensive. I'm afraid that car rental is really the best way to get around the area.

The arena is located off a major highway, but not in a downtown area. There are a couple of hotels close, but not really walking distance. Taxis are definitely available, but pretty expensive. I'm afraid that car rental is really the best way to get around the area.

that sucks. dammit. i am so gutted.

The wolfline stops at carter finley. that's how I got there. We had no trouble at all getting there--I was 30 minutes early and watched the warmups.

Last night was my first game at the RBC Center and I couldn't have planned a better trip in or out of the arena. We're new to the area and weren't sure what time we needed to leave to avoid traffic. We left around 5:20 or so, came in the Edwards Mill entrance and parked in the West Lot. We were standing in line waiting to enter the arena at 5:57 (the wife asked what time it was).

Leaving was pretty simple for us as well, but I guess it depended on the time we left the game. I'm a Caps fan so we left immediately after the final buzzer. A lot of folks were still in their seats cheering. We hopped in our car and were home in about a half hour. It took us about 5 minutes to leave the parking lot.

I take it that experience isn't normal for this venue? We used to go to Caps games all the time when we lived in the D.C. area and would have to leave about three hours early to make sure we saw the start of the game. We were relieved when we found we could make it to RBC in 40 minutes on a weeknight.

We'll be at the game on Saturday as well (wife is a Pens fan). I overheard two of the security guys talking and that game is sold out. I guess we can definitely expect some traffic headaches before and/or after the game?

(BTW...to the fans last night...thanks for not rubbing it in while I was walking up to the concourse and out to my car. It was appreciated. That loss was terrible)

We were really ticked last night as well. The Edwards Mill exit was open, but as previously stated, they chose to force us down from 3 lanes to 1, then to go all the way up to the light to turn instead of turning left into the arena. We parked WAY beyond the football field in the dirt and mud. As we walked to the game, there were still tons of open spaces in the lots directly ajacent to the arena.

Based on when we exited the freeway, we should've been parked and in our seats at 6:40 to 6:45 pm. Instead, we missed the entire first period.

As it is, the games are difficult to make since we have a MUCH earlier start time for most games than much of the league. Games in other markets typically start at 7:30 or even 8:00. It's hard enough to make it from work to the arena for a 7:00 start. The horrid traffic situation virtually assures us of missing at least part, if not all of the first period.

As for after the game, between the walk to the back country and reading a book for about 15 minutes, we're able to get out of the lot quickly.

(BTW...to the fans last night...thanks for not rubbing it in while I was walking up to the concourse and out to my car. It was appreciated. That loss was terrible)

As I said in Cole-iac's other thread, I can't stand to see people leave early from a game. I know its just to beat the traffic but it must look so bad to the players. Not to mention taking almost a full period to fill a well sold arena cause people are sitting in traffic trying to get in. How do "the powers that be" not see this and either fix it or at least let us know they're trying to fix it :?:

And mdl70, we're a pretty nice crowd of fans. Many of the opposing teams fans' that come here have great things to say about the hospitality and friendliness of our fan base....well, except the Slug Fans but I really don't mean to open up that can of worms again :roll:.

As I said in Cole-iac's other thread, I can't stand to see people leave early from a game. I know its just to beat the traffic but it must look so bad to the players. Not to mention taking almost a full period to fill a well sold arena cause people are sitting in traffic trying to get in. How do "the powers that be" not see this and either fix it or at least let us know they're trying to fix it :?:

And mdl70, we're a pretty nice crowd of fans. Many of the opposing teams fans' that come here have great things to say about the hospitality and friendliness of our fan base....well, except the Slug Fans but I really don't mean to open up that can of worms again :roll:.

My family comes to most games and we have found that if you come early you have no problem getting in. We are always in our seat before the game starts and have our food and beverages. We also find time to look int he Eye Store for new items. Getting out could be better but go to a NASCAR event or see the Carolina Panthers if you want to complain about really show traffic.

I sent an email to Mr. Alexander asking why we could get in and out for the playoffs last year with no problem, and this year it's a nightmare. Here's the response I got:

There are no changes in the traffic patterns from last season or the playoffs. The difference you are seeing is due to the tremendous increase of sales in the premium parking areas surrounding the arena. These fans tend to arrive late since they are assured of close-in parking. At times this causes a back-up at the Trinity Road gate which impacts traffic there and Edward's Mill Road.

So the few thousand they earned by selling a few more premium parking passes = total gridlock. :roll:

My wife and I bring our family to the Canes at least once year (we live in NJ, so it's kind of a haul to get there more than that). But we always remark on how well the traffic moves. Nothing like what we see in Philadelphia after an event. We've parked N and S at RBC. We were at last night's game and got there without a hitch. Blue Ridge Rd/Trinity was about as smooth-moving as can be. We always come around 6PM to look around the stadium, and we leave pretty much right after the game. In our few trips to RBC, we've never seen the gridlock ya'll mention. Guess we'll count ourselves lucky. May be a different story when we move back to the area and attend more games.

I sent an email to Mr. Alexander asking why we could get in and out for the playoffs last year with no problem, and this year it's a nightmare. Here's the response I got:

There are no changes in the traffic patterns from last season or the playoffs. The difference you are seeing is due to the tremendous increase of sales in the premium parking areas surrounding the arena. These fans tend to arrive late since they are assured of close-in parking. At times this causes a back-up at the Trinity Road gate which impacts traffic there and Edward's Mill Road.

So the few thousand they earned by selling a few more premium parking passes = total gridlock. :roll:

Obviously there are changes in the traffic patterns since last year. They admit they sold more premier passes, something they said they wouldn't do in past years. All lane exits are open after each game, that's a change. All lanes leaving the premier lot are subject to stopping, that's a change. There are a lot of changes. Remember the Buffalo fans at the bottom of the premier lot last spring? You know, in the west where RPD had to show a presence? They didn't have premier passes. To tell us there have not been changes is an insult to our intelligence.

Bullsh!t. There was freakin' NO ONE at last night's game and I bet I spent 15 minutes in my car just inside the RBC Center property, waiting to get to a parking space. Probably would have spent longer if I hadn't driven between cones to get into the next lane feeding into a lot.

Also, if those fans are arriving late because of their close parking, then you need to find a way to get them to their lot without blocking everyone else's way. And, by that token, those of us NOT in a premiere lot must be arriving early since we're not close, so how would they be blocking us if we're not getting there at the same time?

Looks like parking management is not working for anyone. On one occassion I extered the RBC property at 6:22 PM off Edwards Mill Road. I was waved past three general parking lots (with visible empty spaces) only to sit for 15 minutes while the premium cars (who did not plan appropriatey to get to the game on time) were waved on buy. By the time I got to the game (I was eventually parked on a lot near the Wolfpack faculty lot), I missed the faceoff.

Boston 12/2 night. again, I was earlier and waved past three half empty general admission parking lots (again from the Edwards Mill exit into the RBC center), and parked in a mud hole of a lot.

Finally, and I have checked, the RBC center is the ONLY arena in the US and Canada serving a major league profession team of any sort without any form of public transit available.

An if they had sidewalks, I could actually walk to the game. But then again, I might be run over by the cars exiting from the premium lots. It appears they don't like pedestrians....even in the lots.

my only beef with traffic is WHY won't they let people go into the first "general" parking area. My dad has a handicapped parking sticker (but does not feel obligated to use it - it was for when he got his knee replaced, but it's still valid) and we keep getting shunted around to the east side of the arena! (they tell us that handicapped is full, but when we get to the OPPOSITE side of the building (sort of defeats the whole purpose of the handicapped spots to begin with) those spots are full as well, so not only do we end up NOT GETTING A HANDICAPPED SPACE, but get pushed EVEN FURTHER AWAY!! anybody know who to address this issue with? or should I go ahead and see about upgrading him to a VIP spot? HATE to think that an elderly full season ticket holder with a valid handicapped sticker can't even park ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE BUILDING AS HIS SEATS!!and would have to fork out even more dough to get a decent spot!

As a Premium parking pass holder, I have to say I don't think it's entirely our fault as to the traffic problems. There have been times where we've gotten there plenty early only to be waved into one of the mud lots over by Carter Finley. Then we have to find a parking attendant who realizes that we've paid for parking elsewhere and have to direct us over to where we need to be. I don't know if any other Premium parking pass holders have experienced this, but I have on several occasions coming from several different entrances. I am quite angry that the parking attendants can see we've paid for parking with our passes and that we are supposed to be elsewhere and refuse to let us go to our section. Instead, we are told to go to Carter Finley.

Now, this isn't all the time. I've had just as many times where we've gotten there and been waved on through to Premium parking and we're done in a few minutes time. I've noticed the largest traffic problems are when the parking attendants have no clue what they are doing and are just waving everyone through together.

I've also noticed that sometimes when they are directing two lanes of traffic they'll let 20 cars go through on one side and only one go through on the other even if that line is visibly longer. And as someone else mentioned, they'll wave us through to one lot when we've already passed several empty lots even closer to the RBC Center.

I don't blame the parking attendants per se because I don't know if they are just doing what they are told or if they honestly have no clue and are just doing whatever they think is right. But I'd say the parking attendants along with the cops closing down usable roads is the biggest problem we face when we are trying to park at games. So, some of us Premium parkers do get there in plenty of time, we just have other issues we have to deal with once we're in line to park. :)