The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caneshockey1433

RBC Center Thread

the cheapest seats have no cupholders, I know, because I am always in the cheap section, and have had multiple drink spill incidents either my fault or someone elses, just not enough room to have drinks on the floor. plus its kinda gross.

Yeah, I was in the south goal zone (section 332) for the playoffs last year and there are no cupholders there. But we managed. Having the concession stands selling sodas in bottles helps too. Now if they'd just get the plastic beer bottles we'd be in business. Hey, there's an idea for ya.

Also, (this whole incident is described at length in another thread) when a spectator gets caught in the aisle with the puck in play and opts to wait there until the next stoppage in play rather than crawl past half a row of people during play (disturbing not only the half of the row he's in those in the first one or two rows above) he's trying to be considerate. If you really must sic the seat nazis on him, at least give him a chance to explain why he's still standing in the aisle.

Fix the parking problems.

There's nothing wrong with the parking. It honestly doesn't take that long to get out. It would also help a LOT if everyone would let 1 car out of every line of cars waiting go out in front of them. Thats how you keep things moving. Now if I could just relay that message to my entire school parking lot I'd be home about 5 minutes sooner.

Fix the parking problems.

There's nothing wrong with the parking. It honestly doesn't take that long to get out. It would also help a LOT if everyone would let 1 car out of every line of cars waiting go out in front of them. Thats how you keep things moving. Now if I could just relay that message to my entire school parking lot I'd be home about 5 minutes sooner.

That's a convention that seems to be catching on in the parking lots near the arena itself, but in the fringe lots over by Carter-Finley... not so much. Not sure why, that just seems to be my experience. But you're 100% correct, it DOES keep everybody moving and when people are moving they're much more likely to let that one car get in and KEEP things moving. When you spend a long time sitting still, you're less likely to surrender the tiny bits of movement you're given.

The exit strategy has improved drastically over the years, but like everything else it's an incremental process. And it gets much worse during the playoffs due to the number of visitors sharing our space. Not that they're any less likely to be generous in the movement department, but they're generally unfamiliar with the area and the traffic pattern. (Or maybe they are just buttheads and I'm being charitable.)

If the fringe-lot parkers would adopt this method, it would help everybody out since they're between the East Parking lot and the outside world. West Parking has fewer problems, but that's mainly because the outer lots are all on the east/southeast side. (And it would figure that West parking is on the wrong side of the building for me...)

In the same spirit it would help movement on the concourses (especially the ground floor concourse) if people stuck to two simple concepts: (1) This is the USA and we drive on the right and (2) slower traffic use the right hand lane. But we ARE talking about people who can't seem to grasp that on the highway, so I shouldn't be surprised that they can't grasp it on the concourse. There's little in this world more frustrating than getting stuck behind a crowd of people doing that "Mall Walk" when you're trying to get somewhere. Or doing a "Salmon Run" against the tide trying to exit the building after the game.

Okay, rant over.

The RBC atmosphere is very upbeat and exciting. Music choices are pretty good, and Canesvision has added several new songs. I also like hearing the organ when we are first entering the arena and getting to our seats. Would like to hear more organ during the game instead of the Storm Squad guy blowing that irritating horn. Like the period highlights and the end of the game video also. Keep up the good work. Parking is always bad, but can't do too much about that and leaving the game can sometimes be a nightmare if there are cops who are directing traffic pattens that decide to go the unconventional (the way we aren't used to going) traffic patterns. And keep Holly and the little girl as anthem singers. They are both great (Miss NC stinks as an anthem singer) since they pretty much sing the song as written.

the attendence last night was once again 18,639. i must know, is this our official capacity now with the champions lounge? this was like the 6th game with this number, so it only seems obvious that it is, but i really would like to know for sure.

The RBC atmosphere is very upbeat and exciting. Music choices are pretty good, and Canesvision has added several new songs. I also like hearing the organ when we are first entering the arena and getting to our seats.

Arena/stadium organs always make me think of the end credits to Holy Grail

And keep Holly and the little girl as anthem singers. They are both great (Miss NC stinks as an anthem singer) since they pretty much sing the song as written.

The kid rocks! Katherine something IIRC. Holly's good, but the kid is really something special. I hate I missed her doing "O Canada" at the Montreal game.

Fix the problem with serving bad beer at the beginnings of games. The kegs sit in the basement and the lines need to be cleaned between games. Almost every time I get a beer before the game starts from one of the main concessions it is bad. The worst part is that the people serving it know that because they arent surprised when you ask for your money back.

Fix the problem with serving bad beer at the beginnings of games. The kegs sit in the basement and the lines need to be cleaned between games. Almost every time I get a beer before the game starts from one of the main concessions it is bad. The worst part is that the people serving it know that because they arent surprised when you ask for your money back.

Having spent a good bit of last season working concessions for the Leesville Road HS Band I can offer you this advice: Go to one of the beer carts that's out on the concourse if you want something before the game. The kegs for those are housed in the cart itself so they're not tied into the central draft system. The "permanent" stands are served from a centralized draft system so even if you're purging the taps liberally before you open (which you should be doing) you might not completely purge the line. Especially if you're working in one of the upper level stands. Once the game starts and they've been serving for a while things get cleared out completely and should be fine.

Another option is to go to one of the stands/carts that sells bottled beer. You'll pay more for it, but it's a larger size (22oz vs 16oz I think) and pretty much always skunk-free since it's not on tap.

I'm not saying that the central draft lines shouldn't be purged between events, just offering this as an option for you until the situation is rectified to your satisfaction. What would probably be the ideal solution for everyone would be to sell all of the beer in the unbreakable plastic bottles. The unit cost would be higher, but there's no overhead for the cups, better inventory control and zero waste. The way things work right now (or did last year anyway), the "inventory" for beer sales (and last year for soda sales too) was done by counting the cups before and after the shift. Strange way to do it if you ask me, but there really isn't a better way with the setup as it is. This year all of the stands I've been to are selling sodas in 20oz bottles. I'm assuming that this is the way it's being done in all stands, but I can't confirm that. I further assume that the idea was to determine the cost-effectiveness of selling package drinks vs. fountain drinks and that the next step might be to explore the idea of selling package beer too. (Or it's possible they just went to bottled sodas to control employee consumption since employees got all the soda they wanted for free in years past.) It's also possible that maintenance on the post-mix system became problematic so they opted for another solution. Since my son graduated last year I'm not working there any more, so I'm out of that loop.

1. Turn the announer's mike down a notch or two. My 7 year has to wear ear plugs to enjoy game.

2. Can the PA announcer announce the penalty after the ref signals?

3. It seems to me that everyone would like to see the replays on the Jumbotron...some are shown and some are not.

4. Prefer more organ-led cheers.

5. After the opposing team scors a goal, the last thing I want to see is some silly movie clip on the Jumbotron.

6. Except for 1-5 above, the RBC Center is a fantastic facility for family events (except, of course, when Sabre fans are there...their language not suitable for children).

One more suggestion...a true noisemeter (in decibels) shown on jumbotron with realtime, instantaneous, continuously updated numbers. The closest they've come to this is showing a fan (?) holding up a meter with level displayed after a goal during the playoff last season..

Okay you asked for it!!

When the Wolfpack play the night before, have the ushers walk the rows to check for spilled Pepsi remains on the floor. It leaves a sticky mess the next game. And same when the Wolfpack follow us.

Glad about the recycling bins, but what about a notice on the Jumbotron before the game when you are telling everyone where the ATM's are located. A lot of people are still throwing the bottles in the regular trash.

How about some of the same beer choices in the upperdeck that are reserved for the "Deck"?

Whatever happened to the "grilled" hot dogs?

Can the saussage vendors at least heat up the rolls? A cold roll with a hot saussage does not make a good eating experience?

And fix the parking mess! Entering the RBC controlled area 45 minutes before game time and missing the opening faceoff is not a measure of success! I know what you are trying to do (besides getting people to upgrade to Premium parking next year), but your queue management is not working properly, and sometimes the parking attendants don't even look for the parking tag hanging from the rear view mirror.

this is a bit of an aside, but something I've always wanted to know.

RBC...stands for Royal Bank of Canada....At least I'm pretty sure that's the same logo used on the Canes official site and the Royal Bank site.

http://www.royalbank.com/

This just kind of confuses me. I thought banks aren't aloud to opperate in each other's country. Or is it different since it's an arena and facility rights?

It does stand for Royal Bank of Canada and here they're RBC Centura which is part of the RBC financial group. We have the actual bank here too and not just the name on the arena if that helps you at all. My guess is because it's part of the financial group that somehow that makes it different and allowed to do business here in the Southeast.

A ban on Sabre Fans would be the best improvement ......... :wink:

Seriously though - the only real issue I have is with getting in and out of the Eye. Expand the store even more and have someone stationed at the entrance to move people out of the way who are just standing around for someone inside - it sure would make things easier for those of us trying to get in and out.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people just standing in the middle of the concourse having conversations - step to the side people and get out of the flow of traffic so its not such an obstacle course.

Some additions outside to make it more tailgate friendly would also be most welcomed .......... trash cans, a few extra bathrooms - simple stuff that can easily be done.

A ban on Sabre Fans would be the best improvement ......... :wink:

Seriously though - the only real issue I have is with getting in and out of the Eye. Expand the store even more and have someone stationed at the entrance to move people out of the way who are just standing around for someone inside - it sure would make things easier for those of us trying to get in and out.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people just standing in the middle of the concourse having conversations - step to the side people and get out of the flow of traffic so its not such an obstacle course.

Some additions outside to make it more tailgate friendly would also be most welcomed .......... trash cans, a few extra bathrooms - simple stuff that can easily be done.

You are preaching to the choir with your comments about The Eye and the concourse. It is maddening at times.

You'd think they would want to expand The Eye to drive up more revenue but if it's crowded to the gills I just keep going.

Having spent a good bit of last season working concessions for the Leesville Road HS Band I can offer you this advice: Go to one of the beer carts that's out on the concourse if you want something before the game. The kegs for those are housed in the cart itself so they're not tied into the central draft system. The "permanent" stands are served from a centralized draft system so even if you're purging the taps liberally before you open (which you should be doing) you might not completely purge the line. Especially if you're working in one of the upper level stands. Once the game starts and they've been serving for a while things get cleared out completely and should be fine.

Another option is to go to one of the stands/carts that sells bottled beer. You'll pay more for it, but it's a larger size (22oz vs 16oz I think) and pretty much always skunk-free since it's not on tap.

I'm not saying that the central draft lines shouldn't be purged between events, just offering this as an option for you until the situation is rectified to your satisfaction. What would probably be the ideal solution for everyone would be to sell all of the beer in the unbreakable plastic bottles. The unit cost would be higher, but there's no overhead for the cups, better inventory control and zero waste. The way things work right now (or did last year anyway), the "inventory" for beer sales (and last year for soda sales too) was done by counting the cups before and after the shift. Strange way to do it if you ask me, but there really isn't a better way with the setup as it is. This year all of the stands I've been to are selling sodas in 20oz bottles. I'm assuming that this is the way it's being done in all stands, but I can't confirm that. I further assume that the idea was to determine the cost-effectiveness of selling package drinks vs. fountain drinks and that the next step might be to explore the idea of selling package beer too. (Or it's possible they just went to bottled sodas to control employee consumption since employees got all the soda they wanted for free in years past.) It's also possible that maintenance on the post-mix system became problematic so they opted for another solution. Since my son graduated last year I'm not working there any more, so I'm out of that loop.

Yea, this is what I started doing - going to the small carts early in the game. It is just frustrating that people know this is a problem but they continue to sell the beer like there is nothing wrong. I don't fault the people working the stands at all. I know they are just there raising funds for their organization.