The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
diamonddan

The Fan 590

It is the Fan 960.

Yes it is true, that alot of Flames Fans cheered for the Hurricanes. Anyone but the Oilers was a popular attitude....although there was still alot of support for Edmonton because it was a team from Canada.

you are right, it is 960, my bad.

and it is that time of year.... I DO BELIEVE!!!

and think that the rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary is strong enough that there were probably plenty of Canes fans in Calgary last year.

Besides, why would they say they were the HOME of THE HURRICANES and ANYBODY BUT EDMONTON if they didn't do it???

I have cousins in Calgary and they were pulling for the Canes last year. Again, the 'Anyone but Edmonton' theme. All emails coming from that zip code were full of vitriole aimed at Edmonton. It would seem that there is quite the interprovince rivalry going on up there, eh? They were furious that we "drew out" the Championship series to seven games - they wanted the Oilers stomped out in a straight run. I said that we like our excitement down here in NASCAR and ACC basketball country. And now CUP COUNTRY.

Go, CANES!

p.s. Will be interesting to hear the take on Calgary fans after the game. I never really hear anything 'bad' about them. My cousins have season tickets to the games and never mention anything about boors and idiots. They all just are serious about their hockey. Which means they must looooooooooove when the Sluggles Carnivale comes to town. ugh. The Slugs.

The Canes did gain a fan in me last year as the Flames left the playoffs a bit too early last year. Basically, I supported any team the Oilers were playing. I personally couldn't have survived the summer if the Oil had won.

The support of each team is pretty strong so it is a bit hard to cheer for the other.

I went on to the flames boards during the SCF. They had a poll, Carolina vs. Edmonton, Carolina had like 93% of the votes. So yeah most of the flames fans were rooting for the canes.

I may be wrong ( it happens sometimes...lol) but I doubt fans in Calgary were rooting for the canes last year

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't think you quite understand the level of hatred the Flames and Oilers have for each other. :D

Living in Calgary, I know what it was like in the SCF. The city was kind of divided between who to cheer for. There were those who cheered for the Losers, ooops, Oilers, and then there were those who cheered for the 'Canes. Most loyal Flames fans would rather shoot themselves then utter the words 'Go Oilers' with heart behind it, me being one of them. However, I was a 'Canes fan before that, so I already was going to cheer for the 'Canes. However, yes, the rivalry is HUGE here in Alberta. I am in a Bible Quizzing program, and it is all of Alberta. When the Northern Alberta Quizzers match up with the Southern Alberta Quizzers, there is quite the rivalry. We have remind ourselves that we are here for Bible quizzing, not hockey. I get comments from Oiler fans on my website all the time telling me I'm a loser for cheering for the Flames. My response always is, "Fire burns Oil, and the Flames burn the Oilers." So, the city was split on who to cheer for. Loyal fans will never cheer for the oilers, but there are some that will. The rivalry is UNBELIEVABLE!! The fans in Calgary are very respectful of other teams, at least most are, and their fans. Oiler fans, however, can be destructive; there were stories of Oiler fans setting fire to buildings and such. Whether these are true or not, I have no idea. However, I will admit this: I have nothing against the Oiler players, I just don't like the Oiler fans because they are so cocky, disrespectful and so on. I have yet not to be dissed whenever I come across an Oiler fan. However, I am sure there are peaceful ones, as there are probably unpeaceful Flames fans.

I may be wrong ( it happens sometimes...lol) but I doubt fans in Calgary were rooting for the canes last year

I don't think you quite understand the level of hatred the Flames and Oilers have for each other. :D

Yes, indeed, the Calgary vs. Edmonton hatred is like Duke vs. UNC vs. NCSU here in the Triangle!!

I'll tell a little story, during the finals last year we were seated next to some Edmonton fans (great fans and people, by the way) that came down from Alberta for the game. For those who went to the playoffs, you'll remember that during the second period intermission before the Canes took the ice they would play the “Let’s Go Canes†song being sung by various fans and celebrities (John Forslund, Ron Francis, Alex Trebek, etc.). Well, when UNC Coach Roy Williams was shown the NC State fans let out a loud chorus of boo’s….as happened during every game. The Edmonton fans leaned over to me and asked, “Who is that man?â€

I said, “Roy Williams, he is the basketball coach for the University of North Carolina."

“Why do they boo him? He was singing for the Canes??â€

I replied, “A lot of people here like North Carolina State University.â€

“But,†he asked, even more confused, “isn’t it all North Carolina?â€

That’s when I was able to put it in perspective for him, “It’s like in Alberta between the Flames and you.â€

“Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!†they said laughing!

Yes, indeed, the Calgary vs. Edmonton hatred is like Duke vs. UNC vs. NCSU here in the Triangle!!

I'll tell a little story, during the finals last year we were seated next to some Edmonton fans (great fans and people, by the way) that came down from Alberta for the game. For those who went to the playoffs, you'll remember that during the second period intermission before the Canes took the ice they would play the “Let’s Go Canes†song being sung by various fans and celebrities (John Forslund, Ron Francis, Alex Trebek, etc.). Well, when UNC Coach Roy Williams was shown the NC State fans let out a loud chorus of boo’s….as happened during every game. The Edmonton fans lean over to me and ask, “Who is that man?â€

I said, “Roy Williams, he is the basketball coach for the University of North Carolina."

“Why do they boo him? He was singing for the Canes??â€

I replied, “A lot of people here like North Carolina State University.â€

“But,†he asked, even more confused, “isn’t it all North Carolina?â€

That’s when I was able to put it in perspective for him, “It’s like in Alberta between the Flames and you.â€

“Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!†they said laughing!

LOL

I just don't like the Oiler fans because they are so cocky, disrespectful and so on. I have yet not to be dissed whenever I come across an Oiler fan. However, I am sure there are peaceful ones, as there are probably unpeaceful Flames fans.

Actually, during the playoffs and after the Canes won, the Oiler fans were great. I don't recall a single major incident when I was watching the game. During Game 1, after Rod scored the winning goal, there was some cursing, but I can't blame them for that. What a giveaway.

Yeah, the Oiler fans were great during the play-offs. I have to say- Edmonton fans have a lot of class.

Like I remember after Game 7 when there was that one guy in the broadcast afterward that was an Oilers fan.. He said something like "We gave it our best shot, but as long as you guys keep supporting your team, all is good"

Now THAT is a fan with class.

Red Storm that's a great story! Of course, I always help out the State fans with their booing of Roy "The Botox Boy" Williams. I guess people figure out I'm a Dukie, though, I always have my Duke lanyard hanging out of my pocket.

i am a huge unc fan and i know that there isnt anything like the duke unc games here. but i think that nc state fans think there is a huge one between us as well, but unc fans done really care, state makes a much bigger deal about it. plus it would be more entertaining if we didnt beat them in everything

i am a huge unc fan and i know that there isnt anything like the duke unc games here. but i think that nc state fans think there is a huge one between us as well, but unc fans done really care, state makes a much bigger deal about it. plus it woudl be more entertaining if we didnt beat them in everything

Yeah, State seems to be to you guys what Maryland is to us. The Carolina/State rivalry is probably bigger in football, though.

i guess, maybe its about as interesting as the duke unc games cause i know duke vs unc is like the blind leading the blind, and the state game is just interesting cause no matter how bad unc is and how good state is, unc wins...even when our coach gets fired

Of course, I always help out the State fans with their booing of Roy "The Botox Boy" Williams.

"Botox Boy"... oh man, that's a good one. :roll:

I now feel bad after reading about those oiler fans; I have just had such bad experiance with the oiler fans, I just assumed, which was wrongof me, that all are like that. Sorry if I led anyone to believe wrong and sorry if I offended anyone. I think maybe it is because Calgary and Edmonton have such hatred between eachother.... Again, I apologize.

Thanks. I just felt so bad!! I have a strong conscience. I just remembered, one of my good friends is an Oilers fan. He and I joke all the time. He says he cheers for the Oilers and whoever is playing against Calgary. I say that I cheer for the Flames and whoever plays against Edmonton!! haha He's a good friend though. So, I guess not all Oiler fans are bad!! Oh, of topic, but my sister's friend lives in Edmonton and he met Ryan Smith and Smith wants to hook my sister's friend of with his sister!! How weird is that?? haha They met because they go to the same church. I was just like, 'How come that never happens to me??' I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't met a hockey player..... :( Ok, on with the show!! haha