The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
freedcbok

Tripp

Oln isn't all bad because they've had forslund do games on there which are always well called.

I don't like tripp, I thought it was a good idea when they put him on ice level the whole game (that bench level camera was sweet). He'd let john do the announcing and chime in with somewhat interesting tidbits. At least he's just color commentary.

One other thing, maybe you are all so homeristic that he just comes across as rooting for the other team. I like when they point out the good and bad things about both team, I call that unbiased announcing. I didn't see last nights game but I've never noticed this, if anything I seem to notice a big canes bias, to where it kinda gets annoying.

My only gripe with Tripp is that he 'color commentates' too much. If he would just let John get on with the play-by-play, and just every now and then say something about the game that the average fan doesn't notice, he would be fine. It just seems like he is always trying to make a clever comment, that isn't really that clever.

On a side note, I love John Forslund "Hey hey, what do ya say?"

On another side note, I love John Forslund's hair.

i like tripp. having center ice, there are two things that drive me nuts about most of the american local broadcast teams:

1. most color commentators seem to think that their jobs are to spend the entire game, sometimes even ignoring the live action, complaining about the officials missing calls that would benefit the team they are covering. all game long. and they never ever believe that their team is capable of commiting a penalty. ever.

2. i think john and tripp are just commenting on what they are seeing. the canes have been inconsistent and they are pointing out the good and bad things for each side. most other commentators won't point out anything positive about the other team until the last moments of the game, only if they're about to win. and it's usually backhanded, as if their team lost the game; the other team didn't win.

i seen some mention of tripp's comments at the end of the game after hatcher put that cheap shot on williams. i think i actually reacted in a similar way. when i saw the skirmish live and the broadcast cut to justin, on the ice, wincing in pain, i expected and feared the worst. i thought someone put a vicious hit on him from behind and maybe he was seriously hurt (thankfully, he doesn't seem to be). when i saw the replay, i was actually relieved that it wasn't as bad as i thought it might. to me, it sounded like tripp reacted in a similar way. that said, now that the game is too fast for hatcher to have the impact on a game that he used to, hatcher is no more than a goon.

i liked the ice level experiment as well. the different angle, the interviews during the game, it was interesting.

and i'll also give him this. tripp brings good insight to the game. he seems to know about how the oppostion is currently playing and knows more than the generic "fun facts" that the stat guys load up the stat sheets with for the color commentators. for example, in last night's game, he had got some info on esche's tendencies, strengths and weaknesses. i believe tripp said he talked about it with someone who worked with esche when he played with plymouth (was it chris huffine? apologies for not being certain). esche usually keeps his glove hand low and last night, it was high when he needed it to make some great saves. tripp talked about it and used replays to illustrate it.

on the other hand, when i watch another broadcast team call a canes game, i don't hear about cam's technique. i don't hear about our forechecking. no. i hear who bret hedican's married to for what seems like the millionth time. i hear about cole's injury last season. or they do a feature on commodore's playoff hair/beard. i understand those fun facts are easy for an announcer to spit out, but tell me about commodore skating up to join the rush, not his hair last june. john, tripp and the fsn staff behind the scenes do their homework. and it makes for a much better broadcast

I usually like listening to John and Tripp for the reason that they aren't total homers and you do get some good insight into the oppsosing team. I also agree that recently Tripp has gone a bit overboard with his gushing over the opposition but let's face it, if we were winning all these games, we could care less what he says.

I usually like listening to John and Tripp for the reason that they aren't total homers and you do get some good insight into the oppsosing team. I also agree that recently Tripp has gone a bit overboard with his gushing over the opposition but let's face it, if we were winning all these games, we could care less what he says.

tripp is great...

like many other posters have said, we are VERY lucky to have him and John compared to some of the commentators that the rest of the nhl has.

if you don't think he knows much about hockey then i urge you to meet him. the guy is a walking fact book.

his job IS to be a ham. John seems to be the more level headed no-nonsense guy and Tripp is the guy in the mustard colored suit with all the food references.

believe me, it could be a lot worse.

I liked the other night during the Anaheim game, something happened down where Tripp and his ice cam were stationed, SUPPOSEDLY watching the action at that location.... John references what just occurred and asks Tripp for his up-close-and-personal feedback since it was right under his nose. I died - Tripp replies that he had no idea - he was looking somewhere else (obviously not following the action that accompanies the puck in the hockey game, imagine that).... there was a VERY brief pause, and then John replies, "Well, at least you're honest,...." I died laughing - John had that wry tone to his voice and a tad bit of resignation like a father to a wayward son who has come up a bit short at the moment, but oh well, time marches on.... :(

I THOUGHT, from something I read only god-knows-where that Tripp played goal at some point in his life. I don't know if it was professional, or in the minors, or in college, but he DOES have a hockey background. I have heard him make reference to goal-specific information from the standpoint of someone who played the position. I could be hallucinating, but I generally remember all sorts of minutiae that I've read along the way, filed into the dusty warehouse of a brain atop my neck. Maybe I read it in some long ago introduction that the Canes had on the website about Tripp for his blog, or about his professional background.... but he's not just 'some guy' they picked up in a Crabtree mall crawl to do color.

I liked the other night during the Anaheim game, something happened down where Tripp and his ice cam were stationed, SUPPOSEDLY watching the action at that location.... John references what just occurred and asks Tripp for his up-close-and-personal feedback since it was right under his nose. I died - Tripp replies that he had no idea - he was looking somewhere else (obviously not following the action that accompanies the puck in the hockey game, imagine that).... there was a VERY brief pause, and then John replies, "Well, at least you're honest,...." I died laughing - John had that wry tone to his voice and a tad bit of resignation like a father to a wayward son who has come up a bit short at the moment, but oh well, time marches on.... :(

:lol::lol::lol: I too died laughing at that irishIce. Tripp actually played minor league goalie for little bit so sometimes he's sort of insightful about goalie stuff. Leave the rest to john though, please.

Glad you enjoyed that Kodak moment as much as I did. It was a gem!

And thank you for the information about Tripp-as-minor-goalie. Good to know that Alzheimer's is still being held at bay by the IrishIce hounds of hell.... although, will anyone notice? I mix metaphors in a criminal manner and come up with all sorts of wild *edit* ideas... no one will know when I've accompanied Elvis out of the building, I'm afraid! :shock:

I think I know why Tripp had no idea about the play, if it was around the time I'm thinking of. The organization took the time to wish him a happy birthday over the Jumbo-tron, and then decided to focus on him down there on ice level.

When he appeared on the big screen, you could tell he was having trouble on deciding whether to focus on the commentary or to ham it up on the big screen.

Let me just put this out there. Forslund is great, knows the game well, calls it even. He even pronounces names right and doesn't call Williams "Jason".

I love Tripp. Tripp is a hoot, he's funny, he's apparantly a class act, but there are some nights when I just want to scragg him. Sometimes, he should know when to stop talking. Maybe he'll learn that in time.

I think I know why Tripp had no idea about the play, if it was around the time I'm thinking of. The organization took the time to wish him a happy birthday over the Jumbo-tron, and then decided to focus on him down there on ice level.

When he appeared on the big screen, you could tell he was having trouble on deciding whether to focus on the commentary or to ham it up on the big screen.

Yes, they kept the jumbotron camera on him for a long time -- I'd say 40 to 50 seconds or more, but he wasn't looking at the camera or the big screen. People all around him were yelling, banging the glass, etc., trying to get him to look up at the Jumbotron and acknowledge the birthday greetings. He finally did and by that time I do believe, unfortunately for him, the puck was in play... :Oops:

And to all you knocking Tripp as some sort of mental midget, part of it may be just an act. The guy was a goaltender for four years at Harvard University, which I understand is a pretty good school... :wink:

Yes, they kept the jumbotron camera on him for a long time -- I'd say 40 to 50 seconds or more, but he wasn't looking at the camera or the big screen. People all around him were yelling, banging the glass, etc., trying to get him to look up at the Jumbotron and acknowledge the birthday greetings. He finally did and by that time I do believe, unfortunately for him, the puck was in play... :Oops:

And to all you knocking Tripp as some sort of mental midget, part of it may be just an act. The guy was a goaltender for four years at Harvard University, which I understand is a pretty good school... :wink:

And President Bush went to Yale.

Your turn.

I didn't hear about Tripp suiting up for a game, but I know he did fill in for a practice.

You may or may not have noticed my latest edit to my post on this thread. I realized it was a tad too harsh, and I really am grateful for our two commentators. Both are full of information, and Tripp is just plain quirky.

They have great chemistry together, and they are always entertaining, even if the game is not.

the mrs.

I think I have a love/hate with Tripp. He makes some funny comments sometimes and his use of the word "Sexy" combined with a hockey game always makes me smile (even if he doesn't do it so much anymore) and he always seems to be positive even when we are losing by a great deal.

On the bad, sometimes he praises the other team just a bit too much almost to the point of pulling for them at times. He can also run off on tangents (sorry spelling) during important times in the game and you just kind of want to say "Shhh!!!" to him...

But all in all I think we have two really good announcers and they do (for the most part) a fairly good job.

John on the other hand...well something about him always makes me smile lol :lol: :lol:

I don't think Tripp is that bad. This may partly because I've learned to tune him out when necessary, but he definately makes the games a little more interesting. I'm never quite sure what Tripp is going to say. He may be a little out there sometimes, but he's a color commentator. He doesn't have to be completely serious. I know he may get on peoples nerves sometimes, but he seems like a nice guy and he's just trying to do his job the best way he knows how.

FIRST OFF I am living in Raleigh and watch FSN. I am not just some "jerk" from Buffalo!

I really like John F. and his calls "hey, hey..." he flows well and when he was on OLN for a few games I REALLY enjoyed his games.

I think Tripp is a goofball like the guy from the movie "Major League" that Bob Uker (sp?) was refering to as the "best color man in the business" It almost feels as if he is clueless at times, and other times "reaching" for facts or to add a comment.

I REALLY!!! like Chuck K. I grew up on Rick J. and his "energy" and passion during a game. CK reminds me of him and when he gets going I am on the edge of the seat waiting for the "SCooRReeeSS!!" with that scratchy-screech of his.

I wish there wasn't such a delay between radio and tv or I would have CK on during the games.

I have also lived in Pittsburgh for a while and liked Mike Lange with the Pens. His "beaten like a rehetted mule" and "elvis has left the building" calls are classics to me.

All said, John F. and Tripp do a stand up job on TV and Chuck K. rocks the radio. Raleigh is lucky to have a couple of announcers that really are in the game and are fun to listen to!

Chuck K.- "OOOOV V VERRR the CROSSBARRRR!!! and the Hurricanes have WON THE STANLEY CUP!!!!! :cry: CLASSIC!!!!!

John

I didn't hear about Tripp suiting up for a game, but I know he did fill in for a practice.

He was an emergency call up for a single game, back in the Greensboro days I think but I don't recall who it was against.

He will occasionally tell the story on the air and it's pretty funny. To his credit he was brutally honest about being very nervous and even scared. I'm sure he exaggerates it now but the gist of it was that he wouldn't make eye contact with Maurice and just stared at his skates hoping they wouldn't send him in.

Interesting to read the comments, some very good insight. Let me just add a few things. I would not want to change either commentator. I have Center Ice and some of the other commentators make me cringe. The Buffalo one for example (can't remember the name).

John Forslund is ver good indeed. And I do like Tripp. Last year for example the commentaries were so good to listen to. And to repeat, the only problem I have is with the over-praising of the opposing teams and (it seems) 90% of the time on a marginal call he'll go with the opposition. I enjoy listening to his insight on the players and he seems to know their wifes, parents, parents dogs and parents dogs friends even :)

/shrug, but as a number of people have pointed out, we are lucky to have them both.

Bok