The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CaniacKidd

If the canes wern't in the playoffs...

Good news, the Canes frequently make the front page of the local paper and the grass roots youth hockey program has more than doubled. Believe it or not, the NHL has its own dedicated section of the paper too. The Canes have taken over the program and a triple A minor league team will be up and running very shortly. A couple of our youth hockey teams have competed nationally and done very well matched up with Canadien teams. We actually have a Pee-Wee team up in Buffalo right now.

There ya go, hockey is very much appreciated and is growing here. Much like in Dallas, the Canes are investing in the future of hockey in the area with the youth and amateur programs. They are also huge force within the community in regards to charity work and fund raising.

All is well down south here in Canesland, just need a few more wins from the NHL'ers :wink:.

Good news, the Canes frequently make the front page of the local paper and the grass roots youth hockey program has more than doubled. Believe it or not, the NHL has its own dedicated section of the paper too. The Canes have taken over the program and a triple A minor league team will be up and running very shortly. A couple of our youth hockey teams have competed nationally and done very well matched up with Canadien teams. We actually have a Pee-Wee team up in Buffalo right now.

There ya go, hockey is very much appreciated and is growing here. Much like in Dallas, the Canes are investing in the future of hockey in the area with the youth and amateur programs. They are also huge force within the community in regards to charity work and fund raising.

All is well down south here in Canesland, just need a few more wins from the NHL'ers :wink:.

Fire, to give you a little background, there were more posts than any of us could count last year about how the Cup didn't belong in the South (just because it's the South, I suppose, instead of the fact that we had a team good enough to win it no matter where they were located), & that we didn't deserve to have a team down here "in these parts". Moronic logic to say the very least, but it was still posted here by trolls from other teams all the same.

Yet, how many people here have posted that if the 'Cane didn't make the playoffs they would want Atlanta, Tampa, or Nashville simply because they are from the south.

Certainly, there are people from the north prejudiced against the south, just as their are southerners prejudiced against the north. However, it has been my experience that people who have problems with teams like Tampa and Carolina winning the Cup aren't so much upset about the Cup going south, but rather at having the Cup won by a team whose larger community doesn't really care for hockey. It is hard when you are so passionate about this game and then see the most difficult trophy in professional sports to win go to a city where hockey is religated to the back page of the Sports section.

I think the more passion and depth of hockey appreciation people see in these new hockey communities (like we've seen in Dallas), the more the issue of where the team is located will fade.

Good post, so thank you. Topshelf pretty much put it in a nutshell for a reply to yours about how hockey & hockey awareness are on the rise & is growing by leaps & bonds, esp. amongt the kids who want to enroll in the youth hockey programs here. And also as she posted, the team & organization itself is pretty involved in the communtiy here, so that also helps w/ exposure to the sport as well, & also makes it easier for people to identify our team around town, so to speak, & get involved in the sport & want to check it out if they haven't before. It'll be nice when the up & coming NHLers in the next ten to fifteen years are ones that were born & raised here from the Triangle area. I look forward to that day for this state in general, but we're still trying to "grow" the team & its fanbase. Sure, we've had the team since the '97-'98 season, but there's still more work to be done, as it's a "work in progress", & it takes some places a little longer to catch on than others. That's just the way it goes.

A couple of our youth hockey teams have competed nationally and done very well matched up with Canadien teams.

What level Canadian hockey teams are you referring too?

My father coaches a Hamilton Hub team, which technically is lower then a Single A team. And they entered a Rochester Double A tournament and nearly won the whole tournament by one goal.

Also until this year Canada's youth hockey programs ran under different age categories. For example.....

American Peewee age: 14-15

Canadian Peewee age: 13-14

*Note...they changed the Canadian age brackets this year to eliminate this difference.

I'm sure it's a wonderful program and helps encourage youth hockey in Carolina. I was just sharing my own understanding of Youths hockey.

From the sounds of what I read, many of these kids appear to be kids of transplanted families from the North. Maybe I'm wrong. It doesn't matter.

Best of Luck to these Junior Hurricanes.

Good to see a strong youth program in Raleigh. I was also curious bout the programs down there. Who knows maybe 15 years from now we'll see someone in the NHL who was born in Raleigh.

Who knows maybe 15 years from now we'll see someone in the NHL who was born in Raleigh.

The NHL desperately NEEDS that.

I've said it before....but the fastest way to turn small communities into fans of any particular pro-sport or team is to have home town boys actually playing in it.

For example....Let's pretend Kariya was born and raised in North Carolina.....Even if Hurricanes failed to make the playoffs everyone in Carolina would be glued to Predator games all the way to the finals.

Sorry about the disappointing season, Caniacs - and I mean that. I was really looking forward to a Sabres-'Canes rematch. Last year's ECF was some of the most exciting hockey I have watched.

The Hurricanes have their names on the Cup and nothing can ever change that. Best wishes on a quick rebound next year.

Time for me to start cheering on the Stars and the penguins! I would LOVE to see Recchi lift that cup again. Not to mention J. Staal and Crosby. I must admit, at first i really didn't like Crosby, but he's definatley changing my mind..

Except the Habs are going out the first round. I'm hopping onto the Cheecho Choo-Choo :mrgreen:

yeah, you're probably right too. but you never know. our last 2 playoff runs, we knocked pulled off the upset.