The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jbrickell

Booing the team

Thought we were the Flyers there during the end of that last power play...that arena "boo's" all the time. I was ashamed of our arena during that.

To bad everybody can't be as holy as thou are :lol:

Booing the team is fine. Every home town crowd in every sport hs boo'ed their teams at some point I'd bet. How should fans voice their displeasure? Stop spending money on the team?

Booing the team should encourage them to get the fans to cheer for them.

Canes newbie I agree with you but I think it is just frustration we were spoiled last year and expect them to win every game. I spent most the game swearing at the tv but also kept thinking how great last year was. I remember the days when we would lose ten games in a row and I still kept watching even when they moved 700 miles away I got directv and watch every game so I will NEVER give up on them

The booing is unacceptable. Its just as bad as yelling shoot when theres not a shooting lane. Don't you think the guys are frustrated as is. You don't need to help their frustrations by booing.

Well, I have been known to have a holy moment or two....

However, this crowd has been the 7th man on the ice, it's been called the Loudest House in the NHL. Noise inside the RBC Center has been louder than planes taking off....

When the crowd has to be enticed to cheer by movie clips and flying t-shirts, I think that shows our displeasure. There is a definitive difference between dancing in the aisles and butts in seats. Booing is for the away team's fans. Not ours.

Two things I will never do to my team: leave the game early unless there's an emergency, & boo my team. May WANT to do both sometimes, but I wouldn't do that to them. I'll stand at my seat & shake my head, but at least I'm at my seat when the final buzzer goes & I'm not booing. Different people have different ways in showing their displeasure & unhappiness for their teams though, so what are ya gonna do about it other than what you personally do, right?

i was there and it was sad, i don't blame those that boo'd because the boys turned in that kind of performance but i for one wouldn't boo our team.

Given how they played the deserved to be boo'd, we pay good money to see the play and play the way they can. When they don't even put in an effort then they reap what they sow.

I've just returned home from tonight's game against Phoenix. Yes, the performance tonight was poor; however, it is never appropriate to boo this team. Never. To boo the team gives credence to those who said hockey isn't for this area. If we can't support them through good times and bad, then we don't deserve them.

I don't care if they dress up as Princess Jasmine and start skating Disney on ice. As long as the Hurricanes are in Carolina, I'll save my boos for Buffalo.

I totally agree. If you feel the need to boo just leave. It is just wrong.

I will never boo the team for losing.

However, when they play with no effort and no heart, they need to be told, and short of jumping on the ice and scoring goals ourselves, booing is the only way to let them know short of not going...and we don't need an empty stadium.

The temptation to tackle the booing idiots behind me is large, though...

Agreed.

I was actually glad to see all the booers leaving with 3 mins left. Like the guy behind me said: "we don't want your boos here anyway, so goodbye."

I'd never boo any of my teams. Want to? Yep. But I just sit there and turn my hat into a rendition of a wrung out dish rag. As for leaving early, I won't even say what I think because I'm pretty sure it would break a forum rule or two. :P

On the bright side, I've seen worse play. A full season of it. When this team gets healthy, it'll be fine.

Good griefe. You guys are right! fans should sit there and applaud. Let the team know that no matter how crappy they play, that its ok, and we love it and will approve of it. We don't want to risk hurting any of the guys feelings, they can't help that the other teams try so hard and that they ctually have to try to put together an effort to even be competetive in the NHL. No you guys are right, showing up, putting fourth little to no effort is perfectly acceptble.

What is an apporpriate way for fans to show displeasure with the way the team plays?

Should we email them? Snail mail? make an appointment with JR? Stop buying tickets and stop going to games?

I think they know people pay good money to see them and they care about the fans how would you feel if people came to your job and boo'd when you had a bad day. I don't thnik they don't care they just lack confidence for some reason right now

Compareing my blue collar job to that of a profesional atheletes job is like comparing apples to sherman tanks. The performance of my job doesn't sell tickets, and keep teams here.

I just can't understand the people getting mad at people booing.

We can express displeasure in other ways than booing (see earlier post).

I still say that booing makes us as fans look fickle, unappreciative, and never satisfied. Look at Edmonton's fans...Edmonton has lost 7 of the last 10 games. But would Edmonton fans boo their team? Not bloody likely.