The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jbrickell

Booing the team

We can express displeasure in other ways than booing (see earlier post).

I still say that booing makes us as fans look fickle, unappreciative, and never satisfied. Look at Edmonton's fans...Edmonton has lost 7 of the last 10 games. But would Edmonton fans boo their team? Not bloody likely.

Funny you mention that, the Oilers just as I type blew a 4-1 lead and let dallas tie the game in the 3rd, the fans are booing like crazy :lol:

I hope you feet were clean.

But would Edmonton fans boo their team? Not bloody likely.
Yeah, they would. You should hear them on center ice. :lol:

"Just for the record, I think people were booing the poor performance (not the team). "

Well said. It is the performance that is killing me. I do not mind losing as long as the effort is there. This season, I feel like turning off the TV at the end of the first or second (or booing), when I sense the effort is not there.

cmw00 Idon't think you need to talk about leaving right now they are still a playoff team booing won't solve anything let Lavi rip them a little that will fire them up and remember ther have been alot of injuries alot of games in the past two weeks I think they are tired right now so lets see what happens once they get a little rest

I think we can all agree that whatever is currently being done to "fire the team up" is not working. What can be done that hasn't been done probably to death by now by the coaching staff?

Leaving? when did I say anything about that. When I spend money on tickets, I'm gonna watch every second and then some. I've only been to one game that I actualyl considered leaving early the 9-0 thrasher thrashing last season.

Just as I type, Dallas scores again to take the lead 5-4 and you couldn't hardly hear the annoucer annoucing the goal. Can't beleive they even boo in edmonton! :lol:

I don't have a problem with booing. If a teams' lack of effort or poor play deserves it, then why shouldn't you boo them?

I mean seriously, how can anyone defend they way we have been playing lately? Just look at this board, we have 4 different topics discussing the problems of our team this year. We even have an entire thread devoted to Staal's poor play.

Should we just sit silently and pretend that everything is ok? Nothing is wrong - we'll be ok - just keep your chin up?

I'd be willing to bet that most of the team would probably agree that they deserve it sometimes. Laviolette himself said before tonight's game that they played "lousy" on Pittsburgh.

The team is well aware of their problems, so it should be no surprise to them. If they don't think there is a problem, then that is a whole other story.

Who knows, maybe the booing will motivate them.

Nothing else has worked so far!

Hell if we're not gonn score goals, send Bayda donw and away where he belongs and bring up Boulerice and give the fans somthing to stand and cheer for.

Anybody that has ever seen how the team and the fans reacted to a good fight from Jesse should be chanting "we want jesse".

cmw00 Idon't think you need to talk about leaving right now they are still a playoff team booing won't solve anything let Lavi rip them a little that will fire them up and remember ther have been alot of injuries alot of games in the past two weeks I think they are tired right now so lets see what happens once they get a little rest

Wow, way to use every excuse in the book in a single post.

Too bad none of the above has anything to do with their poor performances the last couple games. We've had injuries since the beginning, and they haven't played as poorly as of late. Tiredness has nothing to do with it either. They've been doing this all their life. They're conditioned for stints like these.

I'm sure Lavi's been ripping into them a lot lately. Doesn't seem to be doing anything. Plain and simple: Whatever they're practicing isn't making it's way onto the ice gametime. I've seen them practice. Good passing, great shots, amazing saves. Basically the complete opposite to what they bring when it matters.

Well, crap. I'm trying to make a darn point here and the *&^%$$ Edmonton fans let me down!

OK, obviously we're going to agree to disagree on the booing. But if anyone here feels like booing at another home game (hopefully, there won't be anything else that makes folks feel like booing), please either:

leave the building first

or

sit far away from section 325.

Thank you and goodnight!

Well' date=' crap. I'm trying to make a darn point here and the *&^%$$ Edmonton fans let me down!

quote']

Its ok, you walked right into it I had to rub it in alittle. :lol:

Two things I will never do to my team: leave the game early unless there's an emergency, & boo my team. May WANT to do both sometimes, but I wouldn't do that to them. I'll stand at my seat & shake my head, but at least I'm at my seat when the final buzzer goes & I'm not booing. Different people have different ways in showing their displeasure & unhappiness for their teams though, so what are ya gonna do about it other than what you personally do, right?
agreed 100%

edit: also I think that dead silence sends a bigger, louder message than booing. the Canes must certainly know that the fans are behind them and that those who DO boo are really just saying 'you can play better than this' in not so many words.

yeah i dont think i've ever boo'd the canes, i've def. cut loose and spilled the profanity to my neighboring buddies, but thats how i vent and show my fustration. now i dont think that some booing hurts the team all that much, they at least get the point we arent happy and it could possibly light a fire under their butt. however i believe its a short term gain, long term loss type deal, boo for too long and confidence will dramatically decrease. personally booing isnt for me, but just because i think its wrong doesnt mean im going to make you stop it.

I don't think booing is ever acceptable. I think groans and moans are vocal enough. I know when I'm at the games and they are playing very poorly I say something about my little brother jumping in there and helping them out.

Agreed, absolutely a ridiculous thread. The fact that the fans are in the building is showing the most important sign of support. Once the ticket is purchased, that fan has every right to boo or cheer at their discretion. It doesn't make someone a lesser fan for booing, just like it doesn't make someone a better fan for blindly cheering mediocrity. If the Canes want the booing to stop, they'll step up the effort. They're paid professionals, they'll get over it.

I drive a couple hundred miles and spend a couple hundred dollars to see MY team. And if I feel like the performance is sub par for a professional player who makes fantastic money from my ticket purchase, I'm gonna boo them. As to what is wrong.....I don't think anybody really knows except those in the locker room.

Whatever it is, the staff sure ain't slowing it down any.

And for my time and money.....it's way past time to shun these poor excuses and do "WHATEVER IT TAKES" and "BE A CHAMPION". If ya can't, hang up the skates and let somebody else take the ice......Stormy already has a sweater and skates.......let him play! Ain't gonna be any worse than I saw last night.

To bad everybody can't be as holy as thou are :lol:

Booing the team is fine. Every home town crowd in every sport hs boo'ed their teams at some point I'd bet. How should fans voice their displeasure? Stop spending money on the team?

Booing the team should encourage them to get the fans to cheer for them.

I'm so glad that this thread was started, because if it wasn't, I was going to do it.

It was really embarrassing to hear that much booing for our own team. That's not going to help them at all. Remember the days when every fan would cheer their heads off to try to pump the guys up to turn the game around? When was that method abandoned?

To your points, cmw00...so you're saying that it's ok to boo your home team simply because other sports and teams have done it. Great theory. Makes perfect sense. :roll:

Boo the other team when they take the ice, just for fun. Boo the refs when they blow a call. But when there are only 5 minutes left in a game that we have every chance of fighting our way back into, don't give up and start booing. Booing means you truly no long expect the team to be able to win. What if the players had the same mentality? Once their own fans start booing, should they just pack it in and go home? Might as well, because that's the message that booing sends.

Cheering, on the other hand, lets them know that you have faith and believe that they can pull it off.

I'm so glad that this thread was started, because if it wasn't, I was going to do it.

It was really embarrassing to hear that much booing for our own team. That's not going to help them at all. Remember the days when every fan would cheer their heads off to try to pump the guys up to turn the game around? When was that method abandoned?

To your points, cmw00...so you're saying that it's ok to boo your home team simply because other sports and teams have done it. Great theory. Makes perfect sense. :roll:

Boo the other team when they take the ice, just for fun. Boo the refs when they blow a call. But when there are only 5 minutes left in a game that we have every chance of fighting our way back into, don't give up and start booing. Booing means you truly no long expect the team to be able to win. What if the players had the same mentality? Once their own fans start booing, should they just pack it in and go home? Might as well, because that's the message that booing sends.

Cheering, on the other hand, lets them know that you have faith and believe that they can pull it off.

Perfectly said MattDoc! These are exactly the same thoughts that were running through my head last night when I heard the boo's start. No, the team didn't play their best by a long shot but booing them? I just don't agree with that, I'm sorry.

My .02 is that, although I personally don't boo anyone other than the opposition and the refs (sometimes), I can understand those who boo poor efforts. I would draw the distinction though that booing poor results is a different matter and I have more of a problem with that (it's usually fringe and/or bandwagon fans who do that anyway).

Booing poor efforts is fine just as Lavi is going to verbally rip the players when that happens or put them through a punishing practice. Of course the roles of coach and fan are different but if both reward good effort and both call out poor ones what's the big deal? The players know when they aren't brining it. This isn't the Coddle the Players League, it's the NHL.

I don't think these guys are getting their psyches damaged by either coach or fans when they hear it after poor effort.

The method was abandoned when the guys didn't show up to play for a couple nights in a row now, therefore losing to teams they really shouldn't have had trouble handling. Nothing against the Flyers/Pengs/Yotes, but the Canes should have easily swept the floor against at least 2 of them, and pulled off a hard fought win against the other.

Booing is just as motivational as cheering. It's essentially saying "You're better than this, and we all know it. Get over whatever's bothering you outside the rink and focus on the here and now".

Two things I will never do to my team: leave the game early unless there's an emergency, & boo my team. May WANT to do both sometimes, but I wouldn't do that to them. I'll stand at my seat & shake my head, but at least I'm at my seat when the final buzzer goes & I'm not booing. Different people have different ways in showing their displeasure & unhappiness for their teams though, so what are ya gonna do about it other than what you personally do, right?

Amen! Amen! Amen!!!! I back you up 100% on this statement. I have been concersing on myspace with another fellow caniac and I was telling him how disappointed I was with our fans that left early at the Dec. 31 game because they knew we lost. The couple beside us said they were leaving when we still had 12 min. in the game to go (we know how quick things can happen) because as they said "we lost anyway". I told my 13 yr old daughter seating beside me that a true fan stands by their team win or lose and our team needs the support of their fans. That's like your parent walking back in the house because you keep falling off your bike when the training wheels come off. We don't walk away from our children when the fail at what they do and we certainly shouldn't walk away from our team when they're losing. I imagine that for the most part none of us can do what they do (I certainly can't). I'm just like you, I may sit there and shake my head and say come on guy's you can do it but not like the man behind me in section 112 Sunday night who kept yelling to our team "ya suck". That is rude and if you feel that way about it just keep your money and stay at home!!! I'll stop now but I could go on and on. This sort of thing burns me up. GO CANES!!!

You all say that you were booing their performance? Well, did you let the guys know that's what was being booed before hand? Believe it or not..they probably were already aware that they didn't do well, and I don't think booing made them get together and say "well, I suppose we need to do better since they were booing" And defending yourselves by saying other teams' fans do it is ridiculous because just because they do it, doesn't make it acceptable.