The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jbrickell

Booing the team

You all say that you were booing their performance? Well, did you let the guys know that's what was being booed before hand? Believe it or not..they probably were already aware that they didn't do well, and I don't think booing made them get together and say "well, I suppose we need to do better since they were booing" And defending yourselves by saying other teams' fans do it is ridiculous because just because they do it, doesn't make it acceptable.

Good points here. I was thinking the same thing. There are several posts here saying, "We booed the poor performance, not the team."

Well, how do you distinguish between the two? You can't. It's the same thing. Saying that you boo the performance is just a lame way to make yourself feel ok for booing your hometown team.

Call it whatever you want, but when one of the guys in red touches a puck and there is booing, you're booing everything...that player, the team, the performance...everything. You can't assign your boo to a specific thing.

I support booing the team for playing with no heart. I'm paying thousands of dollars to see hockey so they better not forget who is paying the bills. I'd rather have 15,000 people at the arena booing them than an empty arena.

Don't be so insecure about the sport. It's OUR arena, OUR hockey. We are the ones who enjoy tailgating at games. The other fanbases will always make fun of us. Who cares?

The Canes are not sacred. Believe me, I love the team as much as you guys but sometimes they need to hear that we understand the game and aren't going to cheer for them every time they touch the puck.

It's not about winning and losing. The hardest I've ever cheered for the team was during their playoff loss to the Devils in 2001.

Win or lose, I'll continue to support the team by going and seeing their games. I've never actually booed the team but doing so doesn't make you a bad fan. Staying home during a game does...

There are several posts here saying, "We booed the poor performance, not the team."

Well, how do you distinguish between the two? You can't. It's the same thing. Saying that you boo the performance is just a lame way to make yourself feel ok for booing your hometown team.

Call it whatever you want, but when one of the guys in red touches a puck and there is booing, you're booing everything...that player, the team, the performance...everything. You can't assign your boo to a specific thing.

Matt, let me give you a different perspective. As stated earlier, I do not boo the Canes even for a poor effort but I understand those who do boo a poor performance.

Unlike Lavi and Rutherford who do address the players and have now both ripped them for uninspired play publicly and privately the fans don't have that opportunity. So they boo. How is it so different when the coach and GM are essentially sending the same message about unacceptable play? Do you think they should only use positive reinforcement to let the guys know they are unhappy?

Are the fans not allowed to verbally express their frustrations too? Should the fans be unconditionally supportive like a parent does with a pre-schooler? No offense to you or anyone else, but it's a bit naive to think professionals need unconditional adoration.

Offsides:

I'm sorry but I disagree with you on this one. First, booing your team when they're playing bad makes you a bad sport. Boo the opponent but don't boo your own team. Second, not making every game doesn't make you a bad fan either....we all aren't loaded with money or don't have children to feed and buy clothes for. Some of us have bills to pay or like in my case a car that was wrecked leaving the game Friday night and now I'm having to make up the difference on the rental car that ins. doesn't pay. I got center ice for christmas so when i'm not there and it's not televised I still watch it and if it's not on center ice I'm listening to it on the radio. Haven't missed a game all season. It makes me angry for someone to say that a bad fan is someone who stayed home. OK, maybe I can go to every game but first let me tell my children to stay home get their own bath, finish their homework and then check back over it, fix their own supper and be in bed by 10:00 since Dad leaves for work at 7:30pm while mom drives 45 minutes away to watch a game in person. I'm sure I'm not alone on this one either. Any Mom's out there or Dad's?

I'm a mom and have 2 little boys, ages 4 and 2 and I know what you're saying. I'd love to be at all 41 home games and we do have the 24 pack so we're lucky there but you're saying because I'm not at all 41 home games that I'm a bad fan? I don't think that's fair at all and I agree with camanderikfan completely on this one. It's hard taking those 2 little ones to 24 games but we do it because we love this team and we want to be there. We can't afford to go a full season so that our kids can have all they need and we can pay our bills but we watch every game that we're not at as well. So saying that if you're not at the games then you're a bad fan isn't a fair statement to make, IMO.

Where did the "Not going to games makes you a bad fan" thing come from? I searched the entire thread, and not once did I see that statement. Maybe I missed it.

EDIT: Ah....Nevermind :Oops:

As I expect this thread to be locked soon because it's just become a back-and-forth argument, I'll wrap up my thoughts here....

Some people like to boo their own team when they are unhappy with what is happening (99% of the time, when they play poorly and loose...odd that no one boos at a poorly played win). Nothing that I, or anyone else, can say will change what those people think.

I, and many others, do not like the idea of booing our own team. It's our opinion and those who feel it's OK to boo will not change our minds either.

Let's be optimistic about this and hope that this situation never comes up again because the team starts turning things around.

But, for all of you booers out there, don't be surprised if the non-booers say something to you at the game. As it's your right to boo, it's our right to let you know that we don't like it.

Seacrest, out. :lol: :wink:

(edit...for the record...can't stand Seacrest, but his sign off is so lame that I had to use it here)

I'm a dad and let me tell you, Karmonos would rather have people PAYING to boo the team than staying home to cheer them on. My whole family makes sacrifices so we can get to Canes games.

Fans booing at a game are still supporting their team. It sure doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy but it feels better than watching a team pack up and leave town because nobody is coming out to see their games. That's why I don't care if people boo or chant for other teams or whatever they want to do. I just want butts in the seats so I can continue to see Canes games!!!

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I don't make it to every game either but what I'm saying is that someone at the game BOOING is supporting the team more than we are sitting at home.

For one thing it is the person who "bought" the ticket right to either boo or cheer the team/effort - Those who are upset by this should just sit there and take it. I'm not saying you can't be upset by it but don't judge people who verbally express their displeasure. I have followed hockey long enough to know a piss poor performance when I see it and so I let them have it. Does those booing fans actually affect your life? No so why let it bother you. But it's in poor taste Carlos, you should be nice to the multi-millionares, they have feelings too. I say tough, they make a lot more than me and I pay good money to see an "EFFORT" and they know when their "NOT" playing well. And what about the children Carlos, what kind of image does this send to the kids? It tells them to strive to be the best

Just my 2 cents

I have to say that at first the booing last night appalled me, but now after reading the opinions of others, I can see where the booers are coming from. And I certainly agree with several of the recent posts that its better to have the RBC Center filled with fans booing because they are disappointed than having an RBC Center with tons of empty seats.

And not going to games doesn't make you a bad fan, but giving up on your team when times get tough does.

Its just a rough patch, and although its been a little too long for our liking, they will pull through it, we just need to stand by them.

Sheesh, I must have really touched a nerve with someone here...my rating went from 5 stars down to three pretty quickly. :roll: :wink:

Offsides, we make sacrifices as well which is how we got our 24 game pack this season. However, I'm pretty sure Karmanos would rather have us have a place to live and food to eat and not be at all 41 games and just rooting on the team from home when we can't be there.

Just my opinion.

Blasting from Laviolette - check

"Meeting" with Rutherford - check

Moderate booing from the fans - check

Defending Stanley Cup Champion plays to its potential, even in the face of adversity that affects EVERY NHL team - (gulp!) check

This, I believe, is an extension of Gary Bettman. Not only encourage pansied, emotion-less play on the ice, but now into the stands. Looking for the new fan at all cost to hockey tradition. Let the stars play like AHL'ers, the fan must sit there and take it....

And although confronting a booing fan may make you feel better about yourself it could if done to the wrong person end up with both of you leaving the arena.

Not that I would do that but .... Some people can get a little hot under the collar when others question their behavior

This, I believe, is an extension of Gary Bettman. Not only encourage pansied, emotion-less play on the ice, but now into the stands. Looking for the new fan at all cost to hockey tradition. Let the stars play like AHL'ers, the fan must sit there and take it....

Seems to me that Ryan Bayda, called up from the AHL just hours before they dropped the puck last night, was the most energetic player on our team. Hmmmm.

Seems to me that Ryan Bayda, called up from the AHL just hours before they dropped the puck last night, was the most energetic player on our team. Hmmmm.

BOOO, BOOO, BOOOOOO !!! Sit the stars down for the more emtionally engaged players.

However, I'm pretty sure Karmanos would rather have us have a place to live and food to eat and not be at all 41 games and just rooting on the team from home when we can't be there.

Just my opinion.

Wardo30, you don't Karmanos too well then. :)

I'm glad the team is here, don't get me wrong, but this guy is a ruthless business man. Ask anyone in the software industry about his company and how it's run.

However, I'm pretty sure Karmanos would rather have us have a place to live and food to eat and not be at all 41 games and just rooting on the team from home when we can't be there.

Actually, he'd rather we all live in boxes and give him all of our money.

If you read my latest post, you'll notice I'm not able to make every game either. My point is that you are supporting the team with every game you go to regardless of your cheering or booing. It wasn't really meant to chastise people for not getting to every game.

Offsides, we make sacrifices as well which is how we got our 24 game pack this season. However, I'm pretty sure Karmanos would rather have us have a place to live and food to eat and not be at all 41 games and just rooting on the team from home when we can't be there.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you on this, if i didn't have to buy 4 seats then i would do the full season. likewise if i could go by myself then i would sit in the champions club but then the choices aren't all mine. i would have to decide who wouldn't go or go by myself which is no fun. i think think Karmonos would rather have 6 24 gamers then one full season ticket holder.

BOOO, BOOO, BOOOOOO !!! Sit the stars down for the more emtionally engaged players.

He was called up to fill Cory Stillman's scratch, so nobody was benched in favor of him. Aside from taking the broad opinion to blame Bettman for what is largely a defending champ in a midseason slump, what other trinkets of wisdom do you have to offer?

Actually, he'd rather we all live in boxes and give him all of our money.

If you read my latest post, you'll notice I'm not able to make every game either. My point is that you are supporting the team with every game you go to regardless of your cheering or booing. It wasn't really meant to chastise people for not getting to every game.

:D

I understand what you meant now. Thanks!!

And I'd prefer not to live in a box so Karmanos will have to live with that one! lol

And although confronting a booing fan may make you feel better about yourself it could if done to the wrong person end up with both of you leaving the arena.

Not that I would do that but .... Some people can get a little hot under the collar when others question their behavior

What the heck...I'll say it because I know others are thinking it...

"Some people can get a little hot under the collar when others question their behavior"

Especially the type of people who would boo their own team. :lol:

Ok, I agree with what one poster stated about this turning into a back and forth argument about who agrees with who.

I was totally against booing our team but after reading the different opinions I can see now that it's not as bad as I first thought. When I think of someone booing it's usually the loud mouth drunks around me that can't hardly stand up and that is why I look at the booers as being rude. I guess it depends on the person and how they go about it. I also guess it's better to vent your frustations than to keep them in.

i guess it all depends on where you are sitting or who you are sitting near as to whether booing is ok. i can think of more annoying things myself. had a clown sitting next to me with headphones on (probably listening to chuck call the game) and shouting every penalty that was called or line change. luckily he got mad and left early.