The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
asu_caniac_mike

Staal

Normally, I'd agree with you with the confidence thing, but I don't think it's that (or just that). Think about it. We were on a 5-game win streak, Staal still didn't perform. We beat the best team in the league. Staal decided not to show up.

There's something more going on. I know he's engaged right now, so I'm thinking that's got something to do with it. I think his brother on an opposing team, who is arguabley doing better than he is, might also have something to do with it.

13>34? I didn't know that. Jordan isn't doing anything but killing penalties right now.

I don't think staal ever had good strength and balance, he seemingly just relies on his shot to take him places. Worked last year when people didn't expect much of him (when they caught on he started to slow down last year) but not so much this year. He can't win battles with defensemen. Not enough strength to win in the corners (doesn't bother me that much) and not enough balance and deking ability or speed to beat them open ice (bothers me a lot for a forward). Lucky for him there's the power play. He's the prototypical pointman. Do we have a mccabe to call our own? I don't think he's that bad. But a little similar maybe.

i agree but he is almost as painful to watch on the ice as Tanabe who had another one of his nights last night and i don't mean a good one.

There has to be a problem of some kind going on with him. At times he just seems to be going through the motions, without the heart he played with previously. Tired ? Hurt ? Personal ? Cole and Adams showed good effort last night, with Staal dragging up the ice last. I didn't see him even try to earn/take a spot in front of the net until late in the 3rd.

Maybe a few nights "rest" with a seat in the press box will help him get his head straight and motivation back. Could start in Pittsburg Tuesday; let him watch his brother play like he should be playing.

YES, we epect A LOT from Staal; his contract $$$ says so !

The size and strength factor with Eric has been mentioned on other places as well as by the announcers. They say Jordan is already bigger and stronger than Eric.Let him hit the gym with Rod! He'll either get the strength or he'll be put to shame by Rod and his strength and workout dedication. Love Eric, so I'm not putting him down. The kid needs to recover, whatever the reason he's slumping, and working through it is best. He doesn't need benched or traded, that will in no way help him over this. Good Luck Eric, you can get over this. :wink:

I don't think he can be sent to the minor's without first clearing waivers (correct me if i am wrong) because he doesn't have a two way contract. And we know he won't clear waivers - that is too big a carrot to dangle in front of other clubs. The only other option is "Mr. Staal meet Mr. Tanabe, tonight we have the Brendl recliner and the Turnoverdorsky recliner available, will you be having fries with your dinner". A game or two of that and he just might decide he would rather play hockey.

i agree but he is almost as painful to watch on the ice as Tanabe who had another one of his nights last night and i don't mean a good one.

yea I guess 3 assists in 2 games and +1 in the Flyers game is horrible.

if you REALLY wanna strech it over the Canes past like 30 games, cause he got hurt twice in the period he's got 4 helpers and +2 in 4 games played.

Actually I dunno if they pumped him full of steroids while he was on the injured list or what but hes playing his best hockey since his return.

You must have something for Tanabe cause every other post in this Staal thread is about Tanabe :shock:

I think Lavi should try Staal out on some different lines. It just looks like there is no chemistry between he and his linemates. Some of the passes they try to make are ridiculous, and Staal hasn't put up any numbers lately. It also doesn't help that he is very below average in the faceoff circle.

I think Lavi should try Staal out on some different lines. It just looks like there is no chemistry between he and his linemates. Some of the passes they try to make are ridiculous, and Staal hasn't put up any numbers lately. It also doesn't help that he is very below average in the faceoff circle.

I'm not quite sure chemistry's the problem though, chemistry would put Staal in scoring positions and well he's defintly been in some great scoring positions and fanned on the shot, or felt he doesn't need to deke on the breakaway. That leads me to say its more of a lack of effort issue. He's not been skating hard in weeks now if he thinks someone's going to beat him to the puck he basically says screw it.

I think it's lack of effort..... he can do it, hes just got 5 mil in his back pocket at way to early of an age.

I don't care for Tanabe and never have. Unlike the other aquisitions that JR made during the off season this wasn't a good one. I will have to say for Tanabe he plays better than Tanabe of old but that is only because the bar isn't set that high. when you see the effort that most of our D-men put forth, he can't compete!! yes he got a point on one of Whitney's goals but then did pretty much nothing the rest of the game. I don't like players that just take up a roster spot, too many youngster's in Albany that want that spot. Felt this way last season about Oleg!! The only difference here is that at least Tanabe isn't that big of a salary hit.

I think it's lack of effort..... he can do it, hes just got 5 mil in his back pocket at way to early of an age.

I have to agree with you on this, between that contract, the Cup, and GQ he has gotten way too much too early and simply isn't hungry.

well i hope he gets over whatever is bothering him FAST.

me too, that is why i think our only option is the press box. if we put him on waivers in an effort to send him to albany then another team will snatch him up and we lose big time. i don't think we can send him down for a conditioning stint because he plays and isn't injured. our options are limited.

I was at the game last night, and it was blatant that Staal was not on his game. I can only speculate that he has too much on his plate, and hockey is the last thing on his mind. He's young, and after last season he has received tons of recognition, plus he's engaged. Last night it seemed he couldn't find the puck if it were duct taped to his stick. Hopefully he's just in a bit of a slump. Perhaps coach should consider switching the lines up, as long as he doesn't touch the BWW line. No matter what, we Canes fans will be behind him all the way, because we have seen firsthand what a great hockey player he is. I don't think sending him to the AHL would do much good, but on the other hand, it might enable him to focus on improving his game and getting into the right mindset so he can come back to the team and kick *edit* as he once did.

GO STAAL GO!

the mrs.

That year playing in Lowell did him a world of good. Look at what he did last season. It's an option, at least. Laviolette may not go there, but it's still an option all the same.

Not every guy is the same before his wedding. Some are ready for it weeks or months in advance, while others stress over it day in and day out until he says "I do." Ward may have been in the first category (and if not, his mental fortitude sure suggested that) and Staal could be in the second.

That year playing in Lowell did him a world of good. Look at what he did last season. It's an option, at least. Laviolette may not go there, but it's still an option all the same.

i think he would have to clear waivers which won't happen. i don't think we have this option.

i just dont understand what being engaged has to do with it?? cam ward was just a little over a month away from his wedding in the stanley cup finals and look how he performed.

300Section, could you PM her on this. She doesn't understand the mojo you women put on us men and the affect it can have if you are an athlete!!! LOL

Not every guy is the same before his wedding. Some are ready for it weeks or months in advance, while others stress over it day in and day out until he says "I do." Ward may have been in the first category (and if not, his mental fortitude sure suggested that) and Staal could be in the second.

I really think Staal is in the category of too much too soon. has forgotten that you have to work for it or you will lose it.

Wow, I just love those sure-fix answers for struggling players. Yep, just send'm down or trade'm! Who cares if half the league got picked up on waivers, played in the minors or didn't know if they are coming or going.

The success, exposure and money got to his head, it might have something to do with his girlfriend and being engaged, he's not trying at all, he doesn't care or doesn't want to win.....

What will you good folks come up with next?

Wow, I just love those sure-fix answers for struggling players. Yep, just send'm down or trade'm! Who cares if half the league got picked up on waivers, played in the minors or didn't know if they are coming or going.

The success, exposure and money got to his head, it might have something to do with his girlfriend and being engaged, he's not trying at all, he doesn't care or doesn't want to win.....

What will you good folks come up with next?

how about alien abduction!!! he has been PROBED!! :lol:

How old is Staal? That could be a factor. I have seen that happen before. Sylvan Turgeon, Jordy Douglas...all touted has the ONE but never really came thru. Maybe the pressure was on him too much early on...who knows

^^ That sounds more like it.

And LMAO about the womanly mojo over men, C97!!!

Honestly though, Eric is being paid a good little chunk of change to play, esp. this year, & even if he were just in his first year in the NHL, he needs to WORK, all the time. I think Rod needs to sit him down & have a serious heart to heart w/ Eric, maybe even show him how he needs to pace himself, & also get a really good idea of just where Eric's head is. Getting engaged is a good thing, but no matter what Eric has going on in his life, he needs to work for a living, too. I've said it before & I'll say it again: those of us who aren't fortunate enough to get to play a sport we love for a living have to show up to our jobs & do it well every day, no matter what we have going on in our lives. We don't get a grace period called preseason & we aren't given 82 games to "get it together". If we don't perform, we get fired. Period. I'm not going to be as harsh as some are on him, & even though he's not scoring, he is attempting to do the little things. He's not always looking lost & uninterested in the game at hand: he was skating for pucks for the past two games (maybe not as much as we'd all like to see, but he's still doing it nonetheless). He's still trying to do the "little things", & I know he may not be an 100 point scorer every year. I don't care if we have ANY 100 point scorers on our team every year, just so long as we have more goals at the end of each game than the other guys do, I'm pretty happy. And it's not JUST the captain & the alternates that can help to motivate the team - they can all motivate each other equally.... it just depends on the individual players & what each individual needs to motivate them. I believe in the "it's not about me, it's about the guy in front of me" phrase that they had last year in the locker room. Personally, if winning the Stanley Cup isn't enough to motivate each player on it's own, I don't know why they're playing in the NHL, but that might just be me. :wink: Most of our boys have now won it, so why wouldn't you want to have those emotions & feelings again that next June is beyond me.