The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Obi-Wan

Who wears the C next?

i may be wrong but i dont see brindy staying for 4 more years....he will either retire when we go far in the playoffs or go else where if we get in the slumps...

I don't see him as the type of player who would jump ship because we were slumping or leave after we won. He plays because he loves the game, he's one of a rare few guys like that left these days. If he didn't 100% believe he could and want to play for 5 more years then I really don't think he'd have signed such a contract.

Being with a team for a long time does not = being the captain.

I know. But you would want someone with experience that has been with the organization a while to lead, yes?

Being with a team for a long time does not = being the captain.

I know. But you would want someone with experience that has been with the organization a while to lead, yes?

Don't put words in my mouth.

Rod definitely has a few more years to play, even after this contract ends. I'd like to see Cory Stillman step up as captain, but mostly because he commands so much respect from the younger guys. If not him, then Justin Williams. JWill has a lot of heart, and the rest of the team can really learn from him.

But most importantly, I wouldn't trade Rod for any other guy in the NHL. Look up captain in the dictionary, and you'd see his face.

the mrs.

i may be wrong but i dont see brindy staying for 4 more years....he will either retire when we go far in the playoffs or go else where if we get in the slumps...

I don't see him as the type of player who would jump ship because we were slumping or leave after we won. He plays because he loves the game, he's one of a rare few guys like that left these days. If he didn't 100% believe he could and want to play for 5 more years then I really don't think he'd have signed such a contract.

I agree totally, and don't see any chance of Rod leaving unless he is forced to. That would be because of major injury, or some stupid move on the part of management.

The Canes are Rod's team. Plain and simple. That's his leadership style, and winning the Cup last year solidified it. Listen to any of the players being interviewed and there is no question about that.

If he ever left he'd lose that. He wouldn't have much chance at being a captain, let alone have the standing he does with any other team. I think this is the main reason Rod will play in Carolina until his jersey is raised to the rafters.

Besides, Rod has been with the Canes through ups and downs before. He's proven that he's here for the long term. Very possibly longer than his current contract, and I'd bet he'd continue in coaching with the organization after he hangs up his skates even.

It's going to be a long time before anyone will seriously be able to replace Rod as the C, but we do have some guys with previous experience as alternates and captains. Heck, wasn't Walker the only captain Nashville had ever had before he was traded here?

3-4 years down the road Rod will be the Captain.... 10-15 years down the Rod Rod will be the captain cause he wont retire avoiding his ceremony/ might possibly still be in amazing enough shape to skate circles around folks.

I doubt he will be around but I think Wallin would make a good captain.

I honestly believe Roddy is going to be around for quite awhile though - by then this list narrows alot.

I say give it Whitney for 2 reasons:

#1- He's one of the few who deserves it cause his play on the ice has been solid and consistent most of this season.

#2- Maybe it will serve as bribery (ahem...I mean incentive) to get him to re-sign a new contract here next season. :mrgreen:

Oops, wrong thread! This is the "C" thread, not the "A" thread :Oops:.

As far as the C goes, Brindy isn't going anywhere. There ya go, I'm back on topic.

I say give it Whitney for 2 reasons:

#1- He's one of the few who deserves it cause his play on the ice has been solid and consistent most of this season.

#2- Maybe it will serve as bribery (ahem...I mean incentive) to get him to re-sign a new contract here next season. :mrgreen:

Oops, wrong thread! This is the "C" thread, not the "A" thread :Oops:.

As far as the C goes, Brindy isn't going anywhere. There ya go, I'm back on topic.

No, we can't, or I would have deleted my post two up from here and moved it to the correct thread. Oh well, at least you all know my opinion on the "A" and the "C"...right? And just think, you got to read it all in 1 post instead of 2 threads :roll:.

No, we can't, or I would have deleted my post two up from here and moved it to the correct thread. Oh well, at least you all know my opinion on the "A" and the "C"...right? And just think, you got to read it all in 1 post instead of 2 threads :roll:.

Lock this sucker, 300 !!! Roddy is our Captain forever. All this talk of "replacements"... what bad kharma are you people trying to draw down on us????? I swear if something happens to Rod I shall have to hunt you down like dogs! :evil:

If Canes II has to have him stuffed and towed around the ice by one of his lineman, he ain't goin' anywhere. It will probably be in his contract that there will be no retirement ceremony/celebration as long as he is upright.. and then his agent will have "standing" orders (sorry, couldn't resist) to make sure that he's never supine or prone again, even if he ain't drawing a breath. He'll still be on the ice long after all of us have crossed to the Great Rink in the Sky and are watching from the cheap seats, stuffing ourselves with heavenly snacks.

Rod Brind'Amour, Man of Steel (and stuffing): Hurricane Forever

gee, I'm just a tad torqued by this topic, ya think?

So, when Roddie retires, who'll be our next captain? Keep in mind that (for now) Kevyn is no longer with our team, and Wesley will be retired at that point.

Considering Roddy will probably play until he's 50 who knows? There's no way of knowing who'll still be on the team by the time that guy's ready to hang 'em up.

I can tell ya one thing... I wouldn't want to be the guy that had to follow that act.

The whole question is way premature, but I have to say I don't see a "natural successor" among the younger guys who are most likely to still be around when the job becomes available. I doubt seriously that there's a guy in that room that wouldn't follow Rod though the Gates of Hell, and I don't see anyone else on the roster that I'd say that about.

This is kinda like the QB situation in San Francisco when Steve Young retired. When he was coming up he got a lot of playing time in Montana's late years because Joe was alwyas getting himself banged up. But Young rarely got hurt, so there was nobody getting playing time as his backup. And in the fullness of time, when Steve got concussed one time too many there was no heir apparent to the throne.

Luckily, I don't think we'll have to worry about it for a nice long time, so maybe someone will emerge in the interim.