The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
j-willie

Memories: The Molson Miracle

hmm i think i was at costco watching that on the big 64 inch plasma or something. it was great some guys ran and got lawn chairs and one of the guys who worked there hooked up the stereo to it, it was our own little party in the middle of the electronics section.

Now THAT would've been too cool. Wish I could've been there!

That was one of the very few playoff games I missed the majority of that year. My son had a band concert that night so there I was with the pocket radio trying to catch a score between performances of the various bands. Naturally, I had to stay until the bitter end because in addition to being in the intermediate band he was also in the jazz band which played last. Anyway, after the score went to 2-0 I pretty well gave up trying to get anything on the radio that I could hear, enjoyed the rest of the show and turned it on in the car on the way home. By the time I got home Cole had just tied the game and I got to see the OT on TV. Lucky for me I was the only one in the house when Wallin netted the game-winner because I just about took the roof off.

Getting this topic back on subject a little bit as in talking about great 'Canes games, I have to wonder where Game 2 of the eastern conference semi-finals against the Devils will rest in 'Canes history. You know the one where the devils score on us with like a minute and a half left in the 3rd and some how with 3 seconds left Staal punches one in to tie it and then like a minute into OT Wallin puts a clumsy puck past the "great" Marty Broduer. I was there so I just have to ask, I'll never forget two sights,

1. The place completely emptyting like a sink full of water with the stopper unplugged. (then when the goal was scored everybody filing back in, they should have all been locked out in my opinion)

2. Everybody throwing the ole Atlanta Braves looking chop for Goal and chanting "Goal Goal Goal" after Wallin's goal was being reviewed that was pretty cool.

I catch clips of it on FSN for "Be like a champion" commercials and it always takes me back to that night at the RBC, man that was awesome.

actually 21 seconds lol I remember the chant well AppSt.

Well if you're gonna be a stickler for accuracy it was actually at 20.7 seconds remaining. And from what I heard when the goal horn went off when Staal tied it the security people at the doors had two choices. Stand back and let 'em come back in or get trampled in the stampede. They opted for the better part of valor. I don't blame them.

And he tomahawk chop made an encore appearance during the SCF as I recall... seems like I've seen it once or twice this year too.

From such things wonderful traditions are born.

I was at that game too. :mrgreen: what a roller coaster of a game at the end, huh? Wow!!

Yeah, I took my mom as her mother's day gift. The actual mother's day game was in serious doubt after the butt-whoopin' we gave NJ in Game 1 and I wanted to make sure she got to see at least one game. As it turned out she also got to go on Mother's Day to see 'em close out the series. So she picked up her second Caniac mom button -- this time in person! (She was out of state for the Mother's Day Massacre in '02, but I got one for her.)

Yeah you guys are right about the time, I don't know I just went from like insane deperession to insane excitement all in like a small amount of time at that game that I couldn't remember the exact time. Great great game I was just glad I got to go to one that will probably be rememberd by 'Canes fans for some time to come. Although I guess winning the Stanley Cup will leave that game in obscurity but if you think about it, had Jersey won that game it could have been a totally different story. It was definitely one of the major turning points of the playoffs.

I was at that game too. :mrgreen: what a roller coaster of a game at the end, huh? Wow!!
We were there too. Another case for DON'T LEAVE EARLY! :wink:

EXACTLY, dp. You never know what can happen & if your rump gets locked out of the arena 'cause you chose to leave early, you deserve not to see what happened until you get home & see the dvr or whatever it is that you did to tape it, or you can listen to it live.... from Chuck in your car leaving the parking lot. :wink:

LOL, kermie - we weren't goin' anywhere until it was ALL over either. We were in the 200's for that one, & there was a guy & his son in front of us, & when we saw all those people leaving I said, "*edit* do they think THEY'RE going?!?!", & the guy in front of me says, "Yeah, right, I know!!". It was a funny moment, esp. right after that is when Staaly scored & tied it up. :lol:

Seriously it must have been, it was just so erie to me at how much I felt that we would score again and then it happened I was like holy crap. I think I must have just felt the energy and resolve that the team had by the way they had played the whole game. They were amazing. I also remember having the feeling that Marty Brodeur was going to come out of the crease and kill either Justin Williams or Chad LaRose. I remember LaRose crashing into him on one occasion and I had to close my eyes because I thought there would be retaliation.

ha dont let hoyle or whatthepuck see that. i rooted for the canes to win it all that year it was so long ago. stunner at staples is better though :wink:

Wow. The Stunner at Staples was pretty amazing. Indeed better than the Miracle at Molson.

How cool is it that Eric Belanger scored the GWG in "the Stunner"? :D

Interesting that neither of the games (Stunner at Staples, Miracle at Molson) were the actual series clenching games, but in each case it spelled ultimate demise for the team who blew the three goal lead.