The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rememberthewhale

former Canes

Why, he isn't long overdue!! We helped him with that, shouldn't be about who can get his name on the cup most often. Pittsburg doesn't look too good so far in the playoffs but they are getting a taste of what the playoffs are and that is good. I will go for the underdog, the guy who has played long and hard to get his name on the cup. Nothing against Recchi but he got it last year, I think some of you guys are losing the point of the thread.

There are no former 'Canes on the New Jersey Devils that I can think of...um, hmm...I'd say Recchi, but I don't want Crosby to win, so I guess Weekes, Cullen, and co.

If Cullen and Shanahan are out, my vote goes to Kevin Weekes, Marek Malik, and Michael Nylander.

If it is the Rangers who win it, Weekes would have to get in for a game in the finals (unlikely) or get special approval to have his name on the Cup because he doesn't have the minimum number of regular season games to qualify. Good call on Nylander though.

But that would mean Orpik gets it too.

Sorry, I still hold a grudge against the man.

Not only Orpik but Armstrong too, would love to see those two suspended for a season or two from the NHL.

If it is the Rangers who win it, Weekes would have to get in for a game in the finals (unlikely) or get special approval to have his name on the Cup because he doesn't have the minimum number of regular season games to qualify. Good call on Nylander though.

The rules don't apply to the goalies. The 2 goalies get their name on the cup automatically no matter how many games they played.

I'd like to see J.S. Guigure get it.

Not only Orpik but Armstrong too, would love to see those two suspended for a season or two from the NHL.

Armstrong... is he the dude that KO'ed Letowski at the beginning of the year?

Armstrong... is he the dude that KO'ed Letowski at the beginning of the year?

yep with a head shot, got him suspended for a game or three i think.

The rules don't apply to the goalies. The 2 goalies get their name on the cup automatically no matter how many games they played.

I'd like to see J.S. Guigure get it.

You would think the goalies would get special consideration but the same rules apply to them as other players. Almost invariably the team will request and get approval for the back-up goalie's name to be included, if he doesn't make a Finals appearance, but it isn't automatic.

stormrider Wrote:

You would think the goalies would get special consideration but the same rules apply to them as other players. Almost invariably the team will request and get approval for the back-up goalie's name to be included, if he doesn't make a Finals appearance, but it isn't automatic.

I'm pretty sure the rules about minumum number of games is games dressed durring the regular season. Though he was not on the ice if he sits on the bench he gets credit for playing a game for the team, just not appearing. Plus he spent a bunch of time on injured reserve. If the rangers win he'll get his name on the cup.

yep with a head shot, got him suspended for a game or three i think.

it was an accident tho

they didnt see eachother coming, and yeah

it coulda been letowski who knocked armstrong out

i hold nothing against armstrong

but as for recchi

i know hes old, but id still like to see him back here

he matched up well w// roddy :D

stormrider Wrote:

I'm pretty sure the rules about minumum number of games is games dressed durring the regular season. Though he was not on the ice if he sits on the bench he gets credit for playing a game for the team, just not appearing. Plus he spent a bunch of time on injured reserve. If the rangers win he'll get his name on the cup.

No, it's games played and the minimum applies to goalies too. As I posted earlier though, the back-up goalie is virtually assured to get his name on the Cup because the team will ask for the exemption if they don't get into a game in the Finals. It's not an automatic thing but the clubs rarely won't go to bat for a guy who contributed.

Interestingly if Babchuk had done last year what he did this year by refusing the demotion to the AHL, they Canes probably wouldn't have sought the exemption for him since he didn't meet the games played minimum and didn't play in the Finals. They did push for his inclusion, and Hutch's, successfully although they didn't have to do so.

it was an accident tho

but as for recchi

that is not gonna happen, JR and Recchi came to an agreement that both could live with last summer but Recchi's wife nixed it and wanted to stay in Pittsburg. Short of Recchi getting a divorce, he will retire in Pittsburg.

No, it's games played and the minimum applies to goalies too. As I posted earlier though, the back-up goalie is virtually assured to get his name on the Cup because the team will ask for the exemption if they don't get into a game in the Finals. It's not an automatic thing but the clubs rarely won't go to bat for a guy who contributed.

Interestingly if Babchuk had done last year what he did this year by refusing the demotion to the AHL, they Canes probably wouldn't have sought the exemption for him since he didn't meet the games played minimum and didn't play in the Finals. They did push for his inclusion, and Hutch's, successfully although they didn't have to do so.

Stormrider, I'm sorry but what your saying just doesn't make sense. Of course a back up goalie is not going to play in 41 games and more than likely won't play in the SCF. So it doesn't make sense to have the same rules apply to the goalies.

I've asked around and pretty much everyone is saying that the goalies have to be dressed for 41 games or 1 SC game. That makes alot more sense.

Let's take Jersey for example. Brodeaur's back up will not play 41 games nor will he play in the SCF. But when the team requests an exception, they don't include the back up goalies name cause he's automatic as long as he dressed 41 games and 1 final game.

Stormrider, I'm sorry but what your saying just doesn't make sense. Of course a back up goalie is not going to play in 41 games and more than likely won't play in the SCF. So it doesn't make sense to have the same rules apply to the goalies.

I've asked around and pretty much everyone is saying that the goalies have to be dressed for 41 games or 1 SC game. That makes alot more sense.

Let's take Jersey for example. Brodeaur's back up will not play 41 games nor will he play in the SCF. But when the team requests an exception, they don't include the back up goalies name cause he's automatic as long as he dressed 41 games and 1 final game.

The back-up goalie doesn't get automatically included unless he meets one of the two minimums. It's interesting that you mentioned New Jersey because that's how I knew about it. When they beat Anaheim for the Cup a few years back I remember comments being made in the media about how Schwab was happy to have come in the replace Brodeur in one of the games to guarantee he would get his name on the Cup after being so lightly used during the year. I did a search on that incident and one account of that story is outlined on the Hockey Hall of Fame site....

"Although it is certain he would have been included by the Devils' anyway, goaltender Corey Schwab played just eleven games behind Martin Brodeur during the regular season, but ensured his name would be on the Cup with an appearance in the final against the Mighty Ducks."

http://www.hhof.com/html/exSCJ_10.shtml''>http://www.hhof.com/html/exSCJ_10.shtml' target="_blank">http://www.hhof.com/html/exSCJ_10.shtml[/post]

it was an accident tho

but as for recchi

Um, the hit was no accident---armstrong measured him up from 20 ft away and hit with a high shoulder long after the puck was gone. The NHL was consistant and didn't give him a suspension but it was a cheap shot. One he repeated in the Ottawa series as well.

^I'm not going to say Armstrong is a classic headhunter but you do have to wonder about his intent with 3 incidents now. He did line Letowski up pretty clearly and lay him out.

Um, the hit was no accident---armstrong measured him up from 20 ft away and hit with a high shoulder long after the puck was gone. The NHL was consistant and didn't give him a suspension but it was a cheap shot. One he repeated in the Ottawa series as well.

The Eaves hit was intentional. The Letowski one, I'm not so sure about. I've watched the video on YouTube, and while Armstrong did clip Letowski under the chin, I think it was unintentional. Armstrong was focused on the puck, and Letowski was watching his pass get intercepted.

That's not to say Armstrong shouldn't watch his back. If he keeps going after these boardline hits, he's gonna be on the receiving end one day. Karma's a *****.

The back-up goalie doesn't get automatically included unless he meets one of the two minimums. It's interesting that you mentioned New Jersey because that's how I knew about it. When they beat Anaheim for the Cup a few years back I remember comments being made in the media about how Schwab was happy to have come in the replace Brodeur in one of the games to guarantee he would get his name on the Cup after being so lightly used during the year. I did a search on that incident and one account of that story is outlined on the Hockey Hall of Fame site....

"Although it is certain he would have been included by the Devils' anyway, goaltender Corey Schwab played just eleven games behind Martin Brodeur during the regular season, but ensured his name would be on the Cup with an appearance in the final against the Mighty Ducks."

http://www.hhof.com/html/exSCJ_10.shtml''>http://www.hhof.com/html/exSCJ_10.shtml' target="_blank">http://www.hhof.com/html/exSCJ_10.shtml[/post]

Interesting.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the back up only has to dress not officially play, but since I can't seem to remember where I saw that, I have to go with yours.

I still think it doesn't make sense. You would think that with only 1 goalie being able to play a game that the same rules don't apply to them. Doesn't seem fair...haha. I guess the good thing is that they pretty much honor each teams request to add a name if they don't meet the requirements.

Interesting.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the back up only has to dress not officially play, but since I can't seem to remember where I saw that, I have to go with yours.

I still think it doesn't make sense. You would think that with only 1 goalie being able to play a game that the same rules don't apply to them. Doesn't seem fair...haha. I guess the good thing is that they pretty much honor each teams request to add a name if they don't meet the requirements.

On the surface, I never thought it made total sense either. One scenario that could explain it a bit more though is if there were two back-up goalies who rotated in and out behind a workhorse starter then it probably wouldn't be fair to have them both get their names on the Cup automatically. I'm just speculating here because the NHL does so many inexplicable things, it's hard to ever know their true reasoning.

In the case of Schwab and Brodeur, I remember a couple guys in the media joking about how Brodeur reportedly said he got shelled in game 6 on purpose to help Schwab get his name on the Cup.

In the case of Schwab and Brodeur, I remember a couple guys in the media joking about how Brodeur reportedly said he got shelled in game 6 on purpose to help Schwab get his name on the Cup.

I'll take BS for $500, Alex.