The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rednblack-ch1

Brindy leads Panthers to Cup?

or so says SI in a picture caption. "...captain Rod Brind'Amour, who after helping the Panthers win last year's Cup...

Guess I'll stick with The Hockey News.

Is this in the most recent issue?

Good lord, it took over a year for the media to understand the difference between a Hornet and a Bobcat, and now this stupidity. :x

What does this state have to do to get recognized as one with 3 DISTINCT PROFESSIONAL TEAMS? We're 10th-most populated in the country, for goodness sakes! :P

Ah, but SI has never given too much coverage to hockey. And compare its coverage last year to some other media outlets... hey, they did an article on Brind'Amour during the playoffs last year. And a good one on the Staal family before the season this year. That's more mention than they've had on Around the Horn or PTI in six months.

SI just last week ran a story on the Boise State magic in the Fiesta Bowl. Ya know, only THREE WEEKS after the best college football game of the year. The week of the game, they gave it a half page recap. Just saying.

Did you also notice that they call Kevyn Adams a center for the Carolina Hurricanes? This in the same issue that has an obituary for Barbaro. I'll probably always consider KAds a Cane, but he hasn't officially been one since Jan. 8.

Also, I'm about to write a little letter to them about the "redneck hockey" thing. They say the Canes marketing department coined it for the "whirligig of action." I say they're dead wrong -- that Canes fans did it to poke fun at being called rednecks. Anyone know the true story, before I write the letter and potentially make an @$$ out of myself? =.)

Yeah, I just got my copy. I read it like three times and it still didn't make sense. Some of the reporters shouldn't quit their day jobs.

Odds are, someone in the graphics department did that page, but there should have been a copy editor or a page/section editor to catch it. Or, hey, how about the fact that JUST FOUR LINES ABOVE IT, it says, "Carolina Hurricanes"? Oy!

Well, this is what seems to happen:

They see they need to write an article on a particular Carolina professional team. Only problem is, we have 3 current ones, and 1 former one. So how on EARTH could they POSSIBLY sort it out? :shock:

Simple: If the team's name begins with "Carolina," it's going to be either the Hurricanes or Panthers. Likewise, if the team's name starts with "Charlotte," it's going to be either Bobcats or Hornets, depending on the context.

So, now that they know the first part of the team's name, they can then reduce their possible choices by 50%. Only problem is, what do they do after that?

If the team starts with "Carolina," they have a huge rectangular dartboard, with half of it colored red for the Hurricanes, and blue for the Panthers. (Likewise, if it starts with "Charlotte," they have a board colored orange for the Bobcats, teal for the Hornets) They then blindfold a 7-year old and have him throw darts at the wall until one of them sticks in the dartboard. Wherever the first dart hits is the team they then put down with each typing. That way, they're at least right SOME of the time.

It isn't like anyone will care anyway - we only matter when it comes to college basketball, right? :roll:

Also, I'm about to write a little letter to them about the "redneck hockey" thing. They say the Canes marketing department coined it for the "whirligig of action." I say they're dead wrong -- that Canes fans did it to poke fun at being called rednecks. Anyone know the true story, before I write the letter and potentially make an @$$ out of myself? =.)
That's how I understood it. I still hate the phrase, but after learning the purpose of it was to poke fun at everyone north of the Mason-Dixon line, it has become a little more tolerable.

SI doesn't know crap about Hockey. Also while i'm thinking of it don't any of you think to yourself why "The Best Damn Sports Show" is called sports instead of Football or Basketball? I sure as hell do. The show should be called "The Best Damn Football Show" or "The Best Damn Basketball Show".

I sent their editor an email pointing out the error. I figured hey...might as well. :lol: I told them that I didn't think even BrindAmour could help the professional football team in North Carolina win the Stanley Cup.