The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Category5

Some Caniacs deserved to be boo'd

Does anyone remember the 5 minute standing ovation the local fans gave to the Hurricanes at the end of the Devils playoff series when Scott Stevens single handedly kick the crap out of the Canes? We were appreciating the EFFORT, those guys left everything that they had in the ice. They lost the series, no one cared.

I was in that crowd that day, and it's still one of my proudest memories as a Canes fan. In fact, until last June it was my proudest memory.

They lost the series, yes. But they came back from a 3-0 series deficit to force a 6th game. Something that had happened fewer than 2 dozen times in history. And the standing O had nothing to do with the game -- we were losing 5-1 with no hope of a comeback. It was about the heart they'd shown both in the series and during the season.

Heart. Effort. Guts, even without the glory. They didn't have to win the Cup. They didn't even have to win in the first round. What they did have to do -- and what they did do -- was leave nothing in the tank. It had nothing to do with the final score. The effort was there, and we knew it. And we acknowledged it.

How, then, does a fan acknowledge a lack of effort, a lack of heart? Shall we pretend it didn't happen? Should we applaud and encourage mediocrity? If the kind of play we've seen over 5 of the last 6 games was the best this team was capable of, I doubt the boo birds would be nesting in the RBC Center. But they're better than what we're seeing. They know it, and we know it. And they know that we know. Because we've said so. Loudly.

So maybe there's a better way of expressing our displeasure. But I don't know what it might be short of voting with your feet and leaving the building half empty every game.

I never leave early, and I don't boo (though I will yell various other things from time to time about specific plays -- or lack of them). But that's just me. I won't presume to tell anyone else how to express their outrage.

If the crowd is quiet, it's usually because there's nothing happening to get excited about. Which has been an all too common theme lately.

I have every right to boo and say what i want about their effortless performance and unearned paychecks, and I didn't even leave early. I may not have much money to spend on actual tickets but I'd say I commit more of my time to hockey than anybody almost anybody else except a pro hockey player so what right does your self-righteous butt have to tell me i'm a bad fan? If this weren't a family board I'd tell you off right now but I've been banned from yahoo and i'd like to hang around here for a while longer.

Okay let's say you are the greatest fan that the team has. How does the negative feedback feel?? That is my point. Some of you are getting very defensive about the negative feedback that you are perceiving is being directed at you. It isn't necessarily about the boos, it is about the constant bashing that I am seeing on these boards. Can't we give the guys even one thread that is only positive comments. If they didn't play great, don't lie and say that they did. Is it so hard to say something like "Boy, did you guys see the way Commodore crushed 'unnamed player'. I bet if the fans put their minds to it, we could put up at least a couple of positive comments about every game. Maybe like a kind of "Player of the game thread".

A three stars thread maybe? BUT... are you going to limit it only to Canes players, or would it go by the usual standards?

Staal made a great deke in that game, quite unusual for him. does this qualify for your optimism standards?

I often do a 3 stars of the game post after games.

A three stars thread maybe? BUT... are you going to limit it only to Canes players, or would it go by the usual standards?

Yes, exactly. I would prefer only our players. This is a Canes board.

Wow, completely uncalled for. Hoyle has proven himself to be a very intelligent hockey fan countless times. How about shut up mr. o'neil fan.

I am NOT a Jeff O'Neill fan, however I sure respected what he did for us during that playoff run. He sacrificed himself many times.

As far as shutting up, I don't think so. I earned the right to free speech, it wasn't given to me by right of birth.

I'm a proponent of free speech, sure, but this thread has just crossed into pointless territory. Maybe it's time for a lock.

I have to say that I agree with the booing. I can't stand it when people do that. It's a free country. You have a right to do it, but if you do expect to get dirty looks from my little group and loud WOO WOOs that drown you out. I stay until the end of the games. I always give a standing O. I never leave until after the three stars even when our butts get handed to us just in case one of our guys gets a star so that I can cheer for him. You may think I'm delusional, but I cheer win or lose. I don't give a crap!

Sure, I'd love for the guys to win the cup every year, but I'm not crazy enough to believe it. Besides, we've had worse years have we not? People make such a big deal over this year and it could be so much worse. Hell, we could be in a lockout again with no hockey at all! I'm as happy as a kid on Christmas morning every time I'm at a game just because I'm there to enjoy it! Do I think the guys are off this year? Sure do. Will I stick around anyway? You better your *edit* I will!

I love my Canes. I won't boo them. Not ever. I reserve that for teams I hate, not the team I love the most. I won't tell others how to behave. People have their own beliefs and it isn't my place to try and change them. However, I was raised to not boo my team and when I bring friends to the games I tell them the same. When I have kids I will teach them not to boo their team just as my mother taught me when she began taking me to games. As Canes fans we have the right to critisize. Hell, I've done my share. But I won't boo and I'll be the one giving the standing O no matter what.

And can we please not result to fighting each other? As the Caniac Nation we need to stand united to support our team. Most of the time we are like a family on this board and all this negativity towards each other is really saddening. We can't fall apart just because the season has. Remember that these are the people who you share all the Canes' ups and downs with. These are your friends even if it's just here on the boards. Sorry to get so wishy washy, but all this fighting as of late is really getting to me. Katy and I talked about it for a good while today. Just remember that no matter what your take on booing or critisizing the team is, we are all still Canes fans. Together.

again with this topic?

so are we ever allowed to boo or what? Should we give them a standing O for losing 4-0?

Quite a leap there isn't it? Who said anything about a standing ovation? I believe there is a middle ground. So somewhere between NOT booing and not giving a standing ovation will suffice quite nicely.

I for one am not saying I expect them to win the cup again. I, along with alot of other fans at the games, see the same thing...they are not playing 100%, or with enough desire. Yes they are all great athletes and get paid for it. But, we as fans, pay ALOT of money to a see half assed effort, then of course there will be boos. It is OUR RIGHT as fans to voice our disappointment as well as out approval of play!!! I have never been in favor of the thought that they are our team, and no matter what never boo. Booing is done to get their attention!!!! The effort the past few games have been like 30%, where they should be giving 110%. A few players playing hard will not get it done, i'm not saying every player, but come on atleast half the squad give it your all.

Just as it is the right of the people sitting next to you to tell you to SHUTUP. Correct? Many of us pay a lot of money to see these games. The last thing we want to hear is some fan impersonator booing the team.

WOW....All the back and forth arguing about booing, all this coming from canes and non-canes fans. All I can say is this..First there will always be fans that boo and some that don't. You all need to deal with it and move on. You probably have many years of hockey in Raleigh ( never know with Karmanos) and theres going to good years and bad years up ahead...gotta deal with it. No sense in fighting about booing because it will always happen. To the ones who boo though, take the big picture into view before you start booing...no one forced you to spend the money for that ticket, to the ones who don't boo,well chill out when you hears some boos. They have the right to boo what they want to, hell..they could boo the hot dog guy if they don't like the dog. So, relax everyone but like some here. I am not a canes fan and don't go to the RBC, so feel free to Boo this post if you need tothboo.gif

And can we please not result to fighting each other? As the Caniac Nation we need to stand united to support our team. Most of the time we are like a family on this board and all this negativity towards each other is really saddening. We can't fall apart just because the season has. Remember that these are the people who you share all the Canes' ups and downs with. These are your friends even if it's just here on the boards. Sorry to get so wishy washy, but all this fighting as of late is really getting to me. Katy and I talked about it for a good while today. Just remember that no matter what your take on booing or critisizing the team is, we are all still Canes fans. Together.

Amen sister! Every thread has turned into a "let's see who's comment we can pick apart and turn negative"! Even the game day thread for tomorrows game...its absolutely out of hand you guys. Me and Megan did talk today, and I told her that every time I sat down to check the boards today, I read stuff that really p-sed me off, but instead of just spouting off about nothing, I just closed the window, because that's not what these boards are about. We are all here because we are Canes fans (most of us anyway) and bickering is NOT going to make our team better, so everyone just take a chill pill, or some Midol and calm it down.

again with this topic?

so are we ever allowed to boo or what? Should we give them a standing O for losing 4-0?

Quite a leap there isn't it? Who said anything about a standing ovation? I believe there is a middle ground. So somewhere between NOT booing and not giving a standing ovation will suffice quite nicely.

I'd rather people boo than sit there like zombies. I echo what hoyle said a couple pages ago, that booing shows that people care and that they recognize when the team plays like crap. You just have to take the good with the bad. You want a rowdy arena when the team's doing well, you'll probably hear boos when they play poorly. If you want an arena with no booing, just do what the Leafs do, sell the seats to a bunch of suits who neither cheer nor boo.

again with this topic?

I'd rather people boo than sit there like zombies. I echo what hoyle said a couple pages ago, that booing shows that people care and that they recognize when the team plays like crap. You just have to take the good with the bad. You want a rowdy arena when the team's doing well, you'll probably hear boos when they play poorly. If you want an arena with no booing, just do what the Leafs do, sell the seats to a bunch of suits who neither cheer nor boo.

Ok, that I agree with....especially the suit comments. When the whale entered the NHl the first couple of years there were many suits there. The new in thing to do ( bring clients ,whatever). They could have cared less about the whale. They soon got bored and the real fans gobbled up those season tickets and the place got even better booing,cheering whatever it got better

We are all here because we are Canes fans (most of us anyway) and bickering is NOT going to make our team better, so everyone just take a chill pill, or some Midol and calm it down.

... & do NOT tell each other to "shut up" on these boards.