The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MattDoc

Canes meet the president

I thought the search keywords were interesting:

Keywords: Head, Washington, Coach, People, Success, Horizontal, Manager, USA, Washington DC, White House, Politics, Posing, Government, George W. Bush, East Room, Rod Brind'amour, Peter Laviolette, Carolina Hurricanes.

You can make of them what you will :wink:

Where's Whitney and why isn't he putting bunny ears on W?

Good questions, both. And who's that in the top right corner? Is that Pete Friesen? Hard to tell. Looks like Matt Cullen made it too (top left). Guess A. Ward took a pass though.

Does anyone else find it ironic that there are only three US-born players in that photo?

Good questions, both. And who's that in the top right corner? Is that Pete Friesen? Hard to tell.

Not sure who that is. As to where Whitney and others are, the caption does say "members of the 2006 Stanley Cup champions" which implies that it's only some of the team, not all.

Good questions, both. And who's that in the top right corner? Is that Pete Friesen? Hard to tell.

Looks like Friesen to me.

Why did they go to the White House anyway? Shouldn't they have done that in the off season?

Apparently there were some scheduling difficulties during the off season. Maybe "W" was spending the whole summer at his ranch or something, I dunno.

Anyway, once the season started there were two schedules to consider. And this was the first time there was room in both.

More pix on this page:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/car

capt.5f25863f62be4c5fab3f9930ac0d024f.bush_whgh108.jpg

President Bush laughs as he is presented a Carolina Hurricanes jersey by team captain Rod Brind'Amour, left, as the president honored the NHL Stanley Cup Championships, Friday, Feb. 2, 2007 in the East Room of the White House in Washington.

(AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Why did they go to the White House anyway? Shouldn't they have done that in the off season?

Apparently there were some scheduling difficulties during the off season. Maybe "W" was spending the whole summer at his ranch or something, I dunno.

Anyway, once the season started there were two schedules to consider. And this was the first time there was room in both.

i think Pres. Buch has been a little busy being the leader of the free world!!!!!!

This link has a video of the President with the 'Canes with audio!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...0070202-7.html#

About to check out the video, but the transcript is priceless!!

THE PRESIDENT:

"You know, I'm not sure what is prettier, the Stanley Cup, or Mike Commodore's hair. (Laughter.) A little disappointed you got a haircut. (Laughter.) But, welcome."

MR. COMMODORE: Thank you.

THE PRESIDENT: The other thing I was a little surprised to see that he's not wearing his robe. (Laughter.)

This link has a video of the President with the 'Canes with audio!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...0070202-7.html#

About to check out the video, but the transcript is priceless!!

THE PRESIDENT:

"You know, I'm not sure what is prettier, the Stanley Cup, or Mike Commodore's hair. (Laughter.) A little disappointed you got a haircut. (Laughter.) But, welcome."

MR. COMMODORE: Thank you.

THE PRESIDENT: The other thing I was a little surprised to see that he's not wearing his robe. (Laughter.)

Well, obviously his staffers did a good job on his briefing book.

i think Pres. Buch has been a little busy being the leader of the free world!!!!!!

Nah.

That's priceless. Had to snag a copy before those with no sense of humour have it squashed.

Anybody want a copy of iceboy's post, PM me!

(**Yes, keep it for PM's, please.)

That video was a riot. President Bush is a funny guy and the team really seemed to enjoy his speech. I really like how Rod raised his hand when Bush mentioned their noses. :lol:

What I think is ridiculous is that Dole and Burr showed up at the white house and not at the parade at the RBC center or downtown. Way to support the first professional team to win a national title.

I may be wrong, but I believe during that time they were both in Washington working in the Senate. I dont' believe they were in NC during the time of the parade. My friend Lori is Burr's assistant I will ask her.

Ugh...I hate politics. Can we keep the political shots and posts out of this thread and just be happy that the guys got to have this experience? Doesn't matter who is in office, etc....what matters is that they were guests at the White House because of their achievement.