The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
old-time-hockey-2

Whitney's Penalty Tonight

That's unfortunate. It bascially killed any opportunity we had to tie the game at the end. But then again, didn't we have plenty of other opporutnities in the game??

It may have killed the chances, but we tried dam hard even when it was called. We were SOOOOOO close, and even after the buzzer went someone (I didn't see who it was) tried to take a shot. I mean, they REALLY had their hearts in this game after the first period

We had the Wild reeling on their heels 5 on 5 like it was our power play a number of times. After we started to play physical with agressive forechecking the Wild quickly stopped looking like the best home team in the NHL.

The whole Northwest division has thumped us this year!!!!

1. If you think the game last night was a 'thumping', welcome to the brand new world of hockey. Enjoy your stay.

2. The unbalanced schedule has this effect. You can't judge it until the Canes get that division back in Raleigh for a season, or they abandon the failed experiment in getting us to enjoy 8 games against the Panthers.

A real questionable call that late in the game (or anytime) but Devorski has been pretty consistently calling what he can. I was kindof thinking the Wizz was going to send him to the Happy Reffing Ground if he could have gotten his hands on him.

From the N&O website:

Lavi's view on the penalty call..

"Marginal, with all the holding and cross-checking that's going on," Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette said. "[staal] had just gotten leg-swiped at center ice. It seemed like an awful lot that was going on and that was pretty marginal. By letter of the law was it? I guess so. For what was going on out there? It seemed like the least marginal of the things that were going on out there."

AND Whitney's

Still irate almost 45 minutes later, Whitney called it an "[expletive] joke."

"I didn't clutch, I didn't hook, I didn't do anything," Whitney said. "Three guys get buried and cross-checked in front of the net, and he calls an [expletive] penalty like that with two minutes to go. It's embarrassing."

:shock:

Good job on sharing your feelings Wizard.

The rest of the story can be found here: http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/542131.html

It was one of those calls that you could call or let it go. Most times with it being that late in the game I've seen that type of call go uncalled. The thing that got me though was Staal (think it was him) was tripped right before that, and it wasn't called. And IMO a trip should be called over what Whtney was called for.

But what can you do. You have to fight through bad calls all the time.

AND Whitney's
Still irate almost 45 minutes later, Whitney called it an "[expletive] joke."

"I didn't clutch, I didn't hook, I didn't do anything," Whitney said. "Three guys get buried and cross-checked in front of the net, and he calls an [expletive] penalty like that with two minutes to go. It's embarrassing."

:shock:

Wonder if that expletive is the same expletive that came through the TV last night as he was walking past the ref to the box. :lol:

It was actually probably more like Whitney called it an "[expletive][expletive][expletive][expletive] joke." But yah know, they needed to keep the story somewhat short.

I didn't like the call on Wiz.....or the no-call with Staal....but neither wasn't the cause of the loss. Maybe a chance to tie.....to catch up....but not the loss.

This loss came in the the first period that we somehow missed. Or, that shot by Flash LaRose on an open net from 5 feet out. Or, the slow play from our newest JR fantasy that skated in combat boots and brought a lunch for his time between the blue lines. Or, the wonderful puck handling from our star Dman Wanabe. When I watched as Cam was pulled......I wondered how many guys told him they were sorry they weren't there for him

I know we're short of forwards right now. Why not roll three lines.....we lost a good 3rd/4th liner....prolly see him down the stretch when we need to stay alive and the trash wanna clobber us into the ground seeking his revenge

Special note to Saint Pete.....you have a good Dman on the scratch......swap him for Wanabe. Second, Tuesday night give the guys your 1st intermission speech BEFORE the game. Maybe they just might play 60 minutes if you remind them earlier!!

I agree with those of you calling it an "iffy call." With all that they were letting go in the third period, it was a surprising call in my opinion. There were definitely other penalties that were either overlooked or missed.

the funniest thin i saw was Vasicek took a hooking penalty which was barely a hook, and the Wild player behind him had his stick completely wrapped around Vasiceks waist. Obviosly Devorskie, McGeoght, and Frasier need to have their hides tanned and fired.

NoGoodHockeyBum wrote:

I didn't like the call on Wiz.....or the no-call with Staal....but neither wasn't the cause of the loss. Maybe a chance to tie.....to catch up....but not the loss.

This loss came in the the first period that we somehow missed. Or, that shot by Flash LaRose on an open net from 5 feet out. Or, the slow play from our newest JR fantasy that skated in combat boots and brought a lunch for his time between the blue lines. Or, the wonderful puck handling from our star Dman Wanabe. When I watched as Cam was pulled......I wondered how many guys told him they were sorry they weren't there for him

Can't give it up! Blame the entire loss on the first period somehow we missed playing (no mention of our sieve goalie, your secretcrush), ONE SHOT by LaRose (and gee, apparently you forgot to take off your x-ray vision SuperMan glasses that prevented you from seeing that, yes! there was the Wild goalie in the crease as well as 3 Wild players flanking and swarming Chad as he came in to try for the shot!), and so-called slow skating by ONE Cane between the blue lines (guess you missed the interview with Lavi in which he skewered the whole team's play in the neutral zone), and then the usual flaming of David Tanabe... uh... we have a slew of other guys on the roster? were they just not allowed to play? if they weren't doing anything to draw your ire, then bad play by ONLY THREE GUYS surely cannot lose us an entire 60 minutes of hockey!

I saw a bunch of guys knocking themselves out and being hooked, tripped, crosschecked and what have you for 60 minutes. I gave up making a peep when I saw this crap because it didn't make any difference. Like ALL SEASON LONG, we have had to play through being assaulted on the ice and the zebras are wearing their sleep number masks. Some nights we can play through this and some nights we just cannot rise above it. There were some really great plays in St Paul, and Grahame outdid himself. Among others, Brindy, Walks, the Wiz, Ladd, Cole, and Staal (finally) pushing and pushing, but we let that first period completely get away from us, and 2 periods of catch up hockey could not close the gap. End of tale of woe. But the blame cannot be laid at the feet of one failed SOG (as if there were no others), one new guy not skating fast enough, and one Dman who is the designated scapegoat for any and all defensive lapses on the entire team, the entire season.

Please come back with something fresh and valid.