The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolina_kat

What to do with Babchuk

I hate this situation with Babchuk, and understand if he feels that he isn't being respected, but the bottom line is he's being paid to do his job. Yes, I know if he goes down to AHL he gets paid less, but he would still be paid. When someone signs a contract he/she is expected to keep his/her part of the bargain.

I also think if Rutherford gives in to Babs and lets him come back with no repercussions it will set a bad precedent. Other players would then think they could also refuse to do what they are told. That just will not work. Sorry to the folks who are big fans of Babchuk, but that's how I feel.

If he really thinks he's to good to play in the minors get rid of him at all costs. Jr can't start letting players push him around he never has and hopefully never will.

Sorry but as I said in another thread, I'm on his side. He's has been one of our better defensemen and certainly should be ahead of a few other guys to be dropped down. He's not starter material yet, but he could certainly be solid second or third line defense material, if not here, somewhere else. Try thinking about yourself being in that position. This is a career for these guys, if he wants to be anybody in the future, he isn't going to do it playing bottom line defense one day, and being pushed down to the minors the next day. I don't want to see him go, but if it's what has to happen to let him get some more time and play then I completely support hiim.

DONT get rid of him at first we saw him and we thought WHO IS THIS GUY!!! hes not playin like a hockey player get the mighty mites out here!But he was gettin good!BUT THEN WE PUT HIM BACK IN THE AHL!!!!WE SHOULD OF PUT TANABE DOWN IN THE AHL!

Not sure how anyone can realistically be on his side. If he didn't ever want to play in Albany, why did he sign a two way contract?

Like it's been said above and in other threads...it's his job. If any of us refused to do our jobs (especially if there is a contract in place) we'd be kicked to the curb.

He doesn't have the skill or reputation to be able to play this little game with the front office and this team doesn't need to be dealing with a soap opera from him during this very critical time of the season. JR needs to be focused on whatever he plans to do before the trade deadline, not deal with this mess.

I know I'm not alone when I say that he's lost my respect.

(P.S. - not sure what's with all the anti-Tanabe talk lately. Hasn't he been one of our strongest d-men in the last two months?)

Not sure how anyone can realistically be on his side. If he didn't ever want to play in Albany, why did he sign a two way contract?

Like it's been said above and in other threads...it's his job. If any of us refused to do our jobs (especially if there is a contract in place) we'd be kicked to the curb.

He doesn't have the skill or reputation to be able to play this little game with the front office and this team doesn't need to be dealing with a soap opera from him during this very critical time of the season. JR needs to be focused on whatever he plans to do before the trade deadline, not deal with this mess.

I know I'm not alone when I say that he's lost my respect.

(P.S. - not sure what's with all the anti-Tanabe talk lately. Hasn't he been one of our strongest d-men in the last two months?)

And to use your analogy, if you were working a job where you knew you had potential but just needed to get some experience first, and they kept pushing you into the mail room, would you stick around?

Just putting both sides of the argument out there.

And to use your analogy, if you were working a job where you knew you had potential but just needed to get some experience first, and they kept pushing you into the mail room, would you stick around?

That's a flawed analogy, unless the job you're vying for involves you sorting letters. Babchuk would have still gotten experience in the AHL.

Sorry but as I said in another thread, I'm on his side. He's has been one of our better defensemen and certainly should be ahead of a few other guys to be dropped down. He's not starter material yet, but he could certainly be solid second or third line defense material, if not here, somewhere else. Try thinking about yourself being in that position. This is a career for these guys, if he wants to be anybody in the future, he isn't going to do it playing bottom line defense one day, and being pushed down to the minors the next day. I don't want to see him go, but if it's what has to happen to let him get some more time and play then I completely support hiim.

You said something there that is why my opinion is exactly the opposite.

This is a career for these guys. It isn't just about being sent down for a few games. It's about developing them into a player that can benefit the team for a very long time. Not just this season, but for many to come. The guy is only 22 years old. That's very young, especially for an NHL D. He's lucky to be playing at the NHL level consistently at this point.

Does it suck for him? Yeah, but it's not like he's being sent down for the rest of the season, or this was to be the end of his career in Carolina. Everyone knew this was just a temporary move, and that it wasn't because of how he was playing. It was because he was the only D that could be sent down.

Then he reacts like this?

All he had to do was go down for a few games until a trade was made, then he'd be back and very likely be a permanent fixture on the team. Don't think that's too much to ask for from a player as young as him.

The reaction he gave instead, though, changed my mind in whether that should be the case. I say trade him. Get someone we can count on and trust to build the future around. We don't want to deal with another childish fit like this one from Babchuk.

Hey, what about some of the minor leaguers who did well in training camp, or have been called up and done well in the couple of games they got to play in? Should they have refused to report when they got sent back down? They showed they could do well at the NHL level.

No, they did what they were told, hoping that some day they'll get the chance to play in the big game.

At least Babchuk should have known that he'd be back very soon, which those other guys don't.

That's a flawed analogy, unless the job you're vying for involves you sorting letters. Babchuk would have still gotten experience in the AHL.

Exactly. It's not an apples and oranges comparison. He's still playing hockey professionally in the AHL.

If they made Babchuk the stickboy, that's more like the mailroom comparison.

This is more like...you're a salesperson that they move to a smaller office/market so that you can build your skills with the product before moving to the larger market.

I think he is too much of a project - he has been hand held by Laviolette and babied along - I'd like to see our efforts put elsewhere.

Yeah he has potential but until you cash it in thats all it is - potential.

time to cut bait ..........

Sticks and pucks for a disgruntled d-man already on a 2nd chance - that should work.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'm also sticking with mine. Maybe there are other players that the fans think should have been sent to the AHL, but as has been said repeatedly it was Babs or Ladd. Given the injuries to Cole/Stillman/Walker right now, and the overabundance of D-men, Babchuk is definitely looking like the better choice of the two.

And I have been in a job where I didn't think I was getting the opportunities I thought I should, so I moved on. While I was still at my other job I did what I was expected to do, and I did it with a good attitude. Sorry, but I still don't see any excuse for Babchuk's behavior.

I think he is too much of a project - he has been hand held by Laviolette and babied along - I'd like to see our efforts put elsewhere.

Yeah he has potential but until you cash it in thats all it is - potential.

time to cut bait ..........

Sticks and pucks for a disgruntled d-man already on a 2nd chance - that should work.

Will you stop saying that already??? :x

He did exactly what i would do. The club has treated him unfairly. He is a top 6 defenseman even at his age for any club in the league. JR for some reason isn't making room for him and it is a shame. We have a bunch of 3rd pairing defenseman, so why is he the odd man out? He deserves a spot over certain other guys who I will not name in fear of starting a hockey debate. We've already thrown away a franchise dman, lets not throw away the next best thing.

He did exactly what i would do. The club has treated him unfairly. He is a top 6 defenseman even at his age for any club in the league. JR for some reason isn't making room for him and it is a shame. We have a bunch of 3rd pairing defenseman, so why is he the odd man out? He deserves a spot over certain other guys who I will not name in fear of starting a hockey debate. We've already thrown away a franchise dman, lets not throw away the next best thing.

he is the odd man out while we shop Tanabe and Hutch but i agree with you.

Hard to say what is going on. There are always 2 sides. Hopefully will be resolved by Monday and we can move on. This kind of distraction is not needed now.

I see valid points on both sides. It appears there is more to this and the Agent influence is totally unknown.

Whats so hard to understand? Hes the odd man out because of his contract, nothing else and nothing more. Skill level has nothing to do with it.

Who is this franchise dman you speak of?? JJ? Thats a big title to fill given that he's never even played his first game in the NHL :roll:

What some you don not seem to realize is that this was a very temporary move, until we move a Dman. Not a punishment or demotion, come on Babs take 1 for the team that FOUGHT for your name on the CUP!!!!!!!!

Babchuck signed a two-way deal, helloooooo, he signed a two-way deal. Now it's time for him to shut his trap and report to Albany. He's not all that and a bag of chips. He's got a lot to learn, about hockey and how to handle himself professionally.

The point is JR shouldn't have gotten us into this mess of having 10 3rd pair defensemen, should have at least have traded a few dmen away by now to make room for him and/or a top dman.

Ask any hockey expert or anyone that has been watching him play at the world juniors and michigan (that includes myself) and they will tell you he is the best defensive prospect out there, maybe tied with eric johnson. He may not be a franchise dman at the moment but he was our best shot at having one in the future, babchuk is the only other decent defensive prospect left anywhere near being ready for action and we're in danger of losing him too.

You all act like JR should have know that Babs would throw a tantrum and refuse to go, therefore basically forcing JR to suspend him