The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Motorcat

Babchuk suspended

HAHAHA, I have to share this with everyone. My friend's way of letting me know he was getting offline was to say "well im out like babchuk in a carolina uniform" hahaha, I find that highly amusing. Sorry to those who don't

LMAO! Who said that? I need to meet him! I'm going to use that from now on! Hahahahaha! Oh, that was a good one!

HAHAHA, I have to share this with everyone. My friend's way of letting me know he was getting offline was to say "well im out like babchuk in a carolina uniform" hahaha, I find that highly amusing. Sorry to those who don't

LMAO! Who said that? I need to meet him! I'm going to use that from now on! Hahahahaha! Oh, that was a good one!

DANNY DID! hahahhahah

DANNY DID! hahahhahah

:shock: Oh, God! I take it back! I take it back!

Players are signed to one-way or two-way contracts. The everyday players (ex. Brindy, Staal, etc.) are all on one-way contracts. Prospects and marginal players (ex. Babchuk, Ladd, Bayda, Willis, etc.) are on two-way contracts. A one-way contract means the player must clear waivers in order to be sent to the minors, meaning all the other teams have chance to claim him, which means we'd lose him for nothing. Players with two-way contracts can be sent to the minors freely without having to go through waivers.

That's true for the most part but there is more to it.

The one-way vs. two-way designation has to do with what they are paid at the NHL vs. AHL. One-way means it's the same regardless of where they play. Two-way means the NHL salary and AHL salary are different and significantly so.

As a result, your classification about front line and borderline players follows but there are some exceptions. For example, LaRose is on a one-way contract, a generous move made by the team for a fourth line energy player, but is more marginal than frontline.

Bayda, on the other hand, has a two-way contract but he does have to clear waivers. The reason is that once you have tenure in the league (based either on time lapsed since signing your first NHL contract or number of games played) you are subject to having to clear waivers.

Entry-level contracts like the one Ladd is on are by definition two-way contracts. Babchuk was the only D-man with a two-way contract and apparently the only one with a two-bit agent. :lol:

This was in the N&O today:

NO MOVEMENT: The waiting game continues with defenseman Anton Babchuk, who was suspended Wednesday after he refused a minor-league assignment to Albany (AHL). Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said Thursday morning the team is no more inclined to trade the 22-year-old Babchuk than it was before he was suspended.

"The next step is his," Rutherford said. "He's been assigned and suspended. He should go to Albany and keep his timing and his development on track."

As one of the Canes' building blocks on the blue line, Babchuk would presumably be included only in a major deal for a top-flight player.

NO MOVEMENT: The waiting game continues with defenseman Anton Babchuk, who was suspended Wednesday after he refused a minor-league assignment to Albany (AHL). Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said Thursday morning the team is no more inclined to trade the 22-year-old Babchuk than it was before he was suspended.

"The next step is his," Rutherford said. "He's been assigned and suspended. He should go to Albany and keep his timing and his development on track."

As one of the Canes' building blocks on the blue line, Babchuk would presumably be included only in a major deal for a top-flight player.

I don't like the sound of that. It makes it seem like JR is going to let Anton throw his tantrum and let him go on down to the minors anyway if he so chooses. I love Babs, but if I were the manager and he wasn't doing what I told him to do (especially because the reasoning behind it is quite good) then I wouldn't let him go anywhere. I hope JR doesn't put up with this from him. As someone else said, that's a bad precedent to set. :(

:evil: I don't think I need to say how I feel about this

So you are a Babs hater!!

Haha! Well, I know I'm not. I really like him, but for the benefit of the team I don't think he needs to come back here for awhile. Someone said that from the locker room standpoint he's done. And I don't want a precedent set where a player can stomp his foot and get his way. Unless he's Rod Brind'Amour. :)

And I'm pretty sure Tangled doesn't hate him either. Anytime we've talked at length about Babs it's always been good. We're just frustrated at this little tantrum. If we wanted someone to lord around the locker room we'd still have O'Neill. LOL!

No, he was never my favorite player, but he definitely isn't the lowest on the list for me. HOWEVER, when an adult acts like a little child, and I am sure I can come up with a case of a 7 year old acting the same way I get really irritated. He should not get rewarded with getting to stay if he is going to throw tantrums like that.

I don't like the sound of that. It makes it seem like JR is going to let Anton throw his tantrum and let him go on down to the minors anyway if he so chooses. I love Babs, but if I were the manager and he wasn't doing what I told him to do (especially because the reasoning behind it is quite good) then I wouldn't let him go anywhere. I hope JR doesn't put up with this from him. As someone else said, that's a bad precedent to set. :(

I'm hoping it's more that JR is trying to keep the situation from looking too bad while he shops him around to other teams. Don't want to look like we're desperate to get rid of him or anything, to lessen what we could get back in return.

Whether he ends up back on the Carolina roster or not, I'm thinking his name is towards the top of the list of trade bait at this point.

No, he was never my favorite player, but he definitely isn't the lowest on the list for me. HOWEVER, when an adult acts like a little child, and I am sure I can come up with a case of a 7 year old acting the same way I get really irritated. He should not get rewarded with getting to stay if he is going to throw tantrums like that.

none of us knows what is going on behind the scenes, it may not be as bad as everyone is making it out to be. just seems that no one wants to let this play itself out which is why this thread is 16 pages. i doubt most of you have ever played poker enough to know about JR's poker face. if it was as bad as you guys are making it out to be then JR would have already cut the boy loose. just look what happened to irbe when he ticked off JR!!!

He is headed to Albany today.

Originally Posted by Lord Stanley's Blog

Bachuk Blinks

Anton Babchuk is scheduled to report to the Albany (N.Y.) River Rats, five days after Carolina's 22-year-old defenseman first refused to report to the organization's AHL team, the Hurricanes announced today.

Hurricanes general manager issued a statement this afternoon announcing that Babchuk's suspension for refusing to accept his demotion and go to Albany has been lifted.

I'd like to see any one of you take a 90% pay cut when you know you're doing better than others.....and take it laying down. My guess is that you would be doing your resume in short order.

I getting tired of people keep saying it like he was demoted, he was assigned to Albany because he was the ONLY Dman who could go without clearing waivers, until we trade a Dman!!!! It's called being a TEAM PLAYER!!!!

I'd like to see any one of you take a 90% pay cut when you know you're doing better than others.....and take it laying down. My guess is that you would be doing your resume in short order.

You're right. I would be tuning up my resume. But I would also be doing the job I had agreed to do for as long as I was employed by the company paying me.

This is not a reasonable comparison. Players in the NHL are under contract, and their contracts can be traded. Now if I dropped CENTER ICE off my DirectTV bill which my contract allowed for, only to find that DirectTV pitched a fit and wouldnt show me basic TV for 5 days at the lower price, I'd switch to Cable ASAP as I'd always assume similar behavior was around the corner.

I said it last week, JR is too seasoned for this. I wish Babs luck with his next team. He had a good start to the year, but his contributions over the last 8 weeks have been spotty at best. However, I was impressed with the force his slap shot hit the glass however.

This is not a reasonable comparison. Players in the NHL are under contract, and their contracts can be traded. Now if I dropped CENTER ICE off my DirectTV bill which my contract allowed for, only to find that DirectTV pitched a fit and wouldnt show me basic TV for 5 days at the lower price, I'd switch to Cable ASAP as I'd always assume similar behavior was around the corner.

I said it last week, JR is too seasoned for this. I wish Babs luck with his next team. He had a good start to the year, but his contributions over the last 8 weeks have been spotty at best. However, I was impressed with the force his slap shot hit the glass however.

So if it were you and you were having your best year playing your position you would be ok with taking a 90% pay cut!! I need to hire you!!

If this were another player on another team everyone here would be saying what a cry baby and bad team player he is. But I guess since its a Hurricane player being big headed and stubborn makes it OK.

Comparing profesional atheletes job contrtacts and positions to that of a blue/white collar employee of acompany is just silly. I doubt people sign contracts for big companies saying that they can take a 90% pay cut for no good reason. However atheletes do it all the time. Thats just the way things are. Anton signed his contract.

So if it were you and you were having your best year playing your position you would be ok with taking a 90% pay cut!! I need to hire you!!

No, I'd fire the agent that got me the two way contract next.

It is not a matter of how you "feel" about it.

Its a multimillion dollar business, and thats life. You can either whine about it, or make the best of it and pay your dues. People that pay their dues typically are successful (Our captain playing Wing for the flyers often), people that dont want to pay their dues usually flame out.

I like Babs, I wish him luck, but I have lost my respect for him.

It's Anton's job to listen to the boss, and the coaches/GEs are his bossed. Sometimes you need to suck it up and listen. I didn't agree with it either, I thought Hutch was due to be sent back, since he wasn't doing anything really. All the goals (the 2 this season) Anton made were both Game Winning. I think if he sucked it up, with the injuries this season he would be back soon anyways, or possibly taken by some other team. Babby could have at least formally retired from his position, gone back to Croatia, and played some EU league. Matt Cullen did that earlier, and his first season back (With us) he won the good 'ol cup. Now he is a wanted player, a good Center who earned his respect and is playing well with the Rangers. Sometimes you bite your lip, nod your head, and go along with it. Every dog has its day. Babby might not have anymore days in the NHL after this, we just gotta wait and see. If he had some decency, he would show up sooner or later, make a formal apology, and take whatever we throw him, if we throw him anything.

At my $10,000/year job, I'd quit in a heartbeat before taking a 90% pay cut. Were I making nearly a million dollars a year, however, I wouldn't balk at taking a *temporary* pay cut, even if it meant selling the Bentley and eating beef ramen instead of fillet mignon for a few weeks. Were I in Babchuk's shoes, I would know that my team has a lot invested in me, and I'm part of their future, and I'd pay my dues and think of the long term. By 22, he should be able to think about the long term. He's not 16 with the keys to dad's car, he's an adult.

Now he is a wanted player, a good Center who earned his respect and is playing well with the Rangers.

??????? Matt Cullen has been a huge disappointment for the Rangers. So much so that he lost the #2 center position for a while to Blair Betts.

(This whole post had kind of a mean tone to it. I don't mean for it to sound like that...just offering my two cents like everyone else.)