The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Motorcat

Babchuk suspended

To me Anton was ok but he didn't impress me much to be honest. The NO also quoted JR in reference to possible trades were he mentioned that other teams were asking too much and that he was putting everything on hold for now, which probably also means that he couldn't unload who he wanted to. I wonder if Anton's refusal to report will give JR another option now. I think we'll see him as part of some trade bait before we'll see him back in a Canes uniform.

Babs has done all Lavi has asked and then some.

Not trying to be start something but how do you really know that ?

The impression I got was they really had to baby this guy along developement wise.

He makes glaring mistakes with the puck and his decision making process can be questioned also. Dude is big and quick but really has he been all that for us ?

Ladd is still here and I really think that Aucoin even with all his missing size is better then Ladd right now.

So we could really make a list of guys who havent been all that and a bag of chips this year

I'm just hoping that just a case of Anton being stubborn, & not that something's wrong or he didn't even make it to Albany.

I really hope he's ok, ya gotta me worried now.

Check the press release, it says he refused, not that he got lost and no one has heard from him. As Legend said, they wouldn't put out a press released saying they suspended someone unless they'd at least talked to him about it first.

well, sending Babs down I don't think was a real good move. I would have much rather put Tanabe or Hutch on waivers and gone that route. Babs has done all Lavi has asked and then some.

Assuming he is trying to package Tanabe and Hutch for a trade in the near future, what does an AHL player get for you? Not much. However, keeping Tanabe and Hutch playing keeps them in the game and they can probably get a better trade than if we try to pawn off someone from our AHL team. Lavi knows what he's doing. :wink:

I dont understand why people ruin their careers over stuff like this. The Hurricanes give him a chance, he earns a Stanley Cup Ring, but he still has some development to be a #1 Defensemen. He must know that he is not Pronger or Neidmayer yet.

Hell I think we can get alot more for Babs then Hutch anyway. It just kinda sucks cause as much as I'd love to hold onto hutch because hes really not bad. He's NHL ready and hes wasting time in his career being a backup of a backup of a backup. I want to see Hutch gone just so he can have a fair shot as his career, I think it's unfair for us to be holding onto him.

Thank you for saying that! :mrgreen:

What does an AHL player get for you? Not much. However, keeping Tanabe and Hutch playing keeps them in the game and they can probably get a better trade than if we try to pawn off someone from our AHL team. Lavi knows what he's doing. :wink:

Hutch actually hasn't been playing the last, ah, 3 games?

I know a few of you think that this was a smart move by Babs, but it seems very childish in a way. I could see if he older all that, but he IS 21. I am not sure how this whole thing works exactly, but are people really gonna want someone who throws temper tantrums and refuses to do as told?

I dont understand why people ruin their careers over stuff like this. The Hurricanes give him a chance, he earns a Stanley Cup Ring, but he still has some development to be a #1 Defensemen. He must know that he is not Pronger or Neidmayer yet.

I agree, this was not a career building decision.

The impression I got was they really had to baby this guy along developement wise.

He makes glaring mistakes with the puck and his decision making process can be questioned also. Dude is big and quick but really has he been all that for us ?

Ladd is still here and I really think that Aucoin even with all his missing size is better then Ladd right now.

So we could really make a list of guys who havent been all that and a bag of chips this year

True but we have a glut of D-men right now not forwards and I believe they are keeping Aucoin down for playing time. This could of been another reason Babchuk got sent down also.

He is supposed to be a professional athelete - no some child pouting because he did not get what he wanted. I still think all he had to do was do his 10 days and wait for the impending trade to go down.

I honestly think Babs being sent down was more jiggling of the roster until a trade is made than a statement of fault.

Maybe he had bad directions? Maybe his map was outdated? Maybe he got hammered and woke up in a kiddie pool? Perhaps he has a reasonable excuse??

Maybe Justin shot a puck top shelf and knocked his alarm clock over?

I wonder how all this plays out as far as his salary?? do you get paid when suspended?? if so do you get your contract $$$ or AHL $$$. given that he has his family here from russia i can see him not wanting to take a pay cut that drastic.

I wonder how all this plays out as far as his salary?? do you get paid when suspended?? if so do you get your contract $$$ or AHL $$$. given that he has his family here from russia i can see him not wanting to take a pay cut that drastic.

You do not get pay NHL or AHL if you are suspended.

10 freaking days was all he had to wait.

Hate to hear this. Much as I like Nuke, there's no excuse for this. If he's not happy about being sent down, take it out on the AHL. He had to be aware it probably wouldn't be for that long.

And like some of you have said, I've got a feeling Anton's name just moved to at or near the top of the trade bait list. JR usually hasn't taken any crap from malcontents.

What does an AHL player get for you? Not much. However, keeping Tanabe and Hutch playing keeps them in the game and they can probably get a better trade than if we try to pawn off someone from our AHL team. Lavi knows what he's doing. :wink:

Hutch actually hasn't been playing the last, ah, 3 games?

Being a healthy scratch and being sent down to the AHL team are completely different. Besides, I was just using that as a scenario assuming they did plan on trading Tanabe and Hutch. I don't have any opinion or guess on who will be traded.

Here's the story from newsobserver.com:

MONTREAL - Cory Stillman will miss at least a week. Anton Babchuk, no one knows.

As the Carolina Hurricanes received relatively good news this morning about the knee injury Stillman suffered in Tuesday's 2-1 win over the Montreal Canadiens, they suspended Babchuk for failing to report to their American Hockey League affiliate in Albany, N.Y.

"In his words, he wants to think about it," Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said. "In our words, Albany has a game in Norfolk tonight and he should be there playing. ... We want him playing, not sitting at home thinking."

Babchuk's agent, Jay Grossman, was not immediately available for comment.

The 22-year-old Babchuk was caught up in a numbers game when Frantisek Kaberle returned from shoulder surgery to make his season debut Tuesday. That gave the Canes too many defensemen, and when Rutherford decided not to make a trade to clear a spot for Kaberle, the only other options were to send Babchuk or Andrew Ladd to the minors.

Babchuk played in 51 of Carolina's first 55 games, recording 14 points, second only to Mike Commodore among Carolina defensemen.

Stillman suffered a sprained knee when Montreal's Mike Johnson checked him along the boards late in the second period, missing his upper body and clipping his right leg, but avoided any ligament tears.

"When I was able to get to the bench, I knew I was OK," Stillman said.

The timing was unfortunate, both for Stillman, who missed the first 31 games of the season after undergoing offseason shoulder surgery, and the Hurricanes, who with Kaberle's return dressed their entire lineup for the first time this season.

Ladd will take Stillman's spot on a line with Eric Staal and Erik Cole, while Trevor Letowski, a healthy scratch in four of the past six games, will re-enter the lineup on Thursday when the Canes travel to the Boston Bruins.

There has got to be more to this than what we know. there have only been a handful of hockey players that have refused to report to the AHL and yes i think they are all russian but most were just prima donna's which doesn't apply to babs.

This totally baffels me, did we not have an interprter on hand? Did he not understand that this was a temporary move until we moved a D man out? Not a punishment because he was playing bad. He was the only D man that could be sent down without going through waivers. After the Canes fought for him to be on the cup and this is how you repay them? I actually like this kid and think he can a real solid top pairing dman in the fututre, but here now??

That doesn't surprise me one bit! My buddy used to go to Admirals games when Anton used to play here and he said he was a real tool. On and Off the ice. Made no effort to grow accustomed to things here, didn't really care about learning English and nobody in the locker room really cared for him either, and didn't really bother with fans at all. .Him not showing up because he doesn't like it doesn't surprise me.I'll shed no tears if he leaves.

Maybe he's channeling Keith Primeau?

In any case, he's done here. The front office won't put up with this and neither will the fans. That's bad mojo in the locker room and it won't fly on this team.

So that's one down. But we're still one D-man over budget. It'll be interesting to see how the remaining 9 respond to this. I suspect one or two will see the writing on the wall and either light up like the Fourth of July or fade like a cheap shirt.

This totally baffels me, did we not have an interprter on hand? Did he not understand that this was a temporary move until we moved a D man out? Not a punishment because he was playing bad. He was the only D man that could be sent down without going through waivers. After the Canes fought for him to be on the cup and this is how you repay them? I actually like this kid and think he can a real solid top pairing dman in the fututre, but here now??

Done through players' agents...I don't know whose Babs is, but he's either got a deal brewing or he's about to get screwed. Babs is a starting D-man.

True but we have a glut of D-men right now not forwards and I believe they are keeping Aucoin down for playing time. This could of been another reason Babchuk got sent down also.

He is supposed to be a professional athelete - no some child pouting because he did not get what he wanted. I still think all he had to do was do his 10 days and wait for the impending trade to go down.

I honestly think Babs being sent down was more jiggling of the roster until a trade is made than a statement of fault.

Exactly, he was the only guy with a 2 way contract.

Just a stupid move. If your executive management at work told you to prepare a presentation or go to Nashville to take care of something and you said "NO", first it would put you on the bad list and 2nd) it would pave the way for your departure....especially if it was in your employment contract.

You get on JR's bad side and you are gone. I like Babs but he needed to learn and be more on the ice. He was not a top 6 D-men.

All he had to do was wait 2 weeks. This reminds me of the guy I worded with who had a great career until he got drunk at the Christmas party and told the President around several people that "his daughter was hot and he would go out with her." Needless to say, his career did not bust wide open after that.

6 days ?

I am under the impression you have to stay down a minimum of 10 days.

edit - I read 6 days in your post - now 2 weeks.

Not knick picking just trying to find out what the min time is.

Well that was a stupid move on Bab's part. Yeah it sux getting sent there, but its not like it was a permanent move. That must be the stupidest thing he's done. He's just ruined all chances of having a spot on this team. This type of stuff will not sit well with JR.

I'm sorry but I have to agree that this was not a good move on Babchuk's part. Yes it stinks that he had to be sent down but somebody had to and this was the route they had to take right now.

If your boss tells you to do something, you do it whether it's the best assignment or not. You can't just refuse to do your job and expect no repercussions.