The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Motorcat

Babchuk suspended

I hope this isn't going to be the end of Babchuk. I can only hope the reason he didn't show up is either he has a secret injury, a letter from home, or he is assesing his carrer. Maybe being sent down when he is playing fairly well was an insult to him. Who knows. Hopefully Trip and John will know by Thursday.

Chalk it up to youth.....

He'll be 23 in May. When you're young, you do stupid crap.

He needs to get his head on straight and get this resolved. I don't wanna see him on a team we will have to face...

Done through players' agents...I don't know whose Babs is' date=' but he's either got a deal brewing or he's about to get screwed. Babs is a starting D-man.[/quote']

I was kidding about the interpreter. What kind of deal can his agent be brewing? Babchuk is under contract with teh Canes and is a RFA. So deal to brewed is up to JR not Babs agent.

I just don't understand this. It is obvious that he was being groomed to be in the core of young D-men, as Wesley and Hedican will be retiring soon. To jepordize that over a 2 week stint in the AHL just doesn't make sense.

I liked him before this stunt, but now would be happy to see him traded.

I wonder if his agent tried to talk him out of this stupid move.

I just don't understand this. It is obvious that he was being groomed to be in the core of young D-men, as Wesley and Hedican will be retiring soon. To jepordize that over a 2 week stint in the AHL just doesn't make sense.

per the N&O he hasn't blatently(sp) refused to go, just ask for time to think about it. maybe there is more going on that we will find out about by day's end.

This is what I was thinking. When management decided to send him down, I'm sure they made it clear that it was only until they can move some players around and clear up some room on the blueline, and that he's a great young player and Glen Wesley is 2448873632 years old and can't play forever and you've got a place on this team for a long time to come, Babs, along with Cole and Staal and Ward and Williams...

If it were me, I'd go have fun lighting up the minors for a couple of weeks.

But now maybe he'll be traded and be a top D-man for another team. That may be his plan...

I don't see him being a top D-man for awhile.

Me either. He's good, but he has alot to learn before he becomes that top D-man. And he needs his great shot to be just a bit more accurate.

Didn't he have attitude issues in Chicago. I remember when we first got him there was concern with his attitude, but he actually held that in check, well up till now.

He can just about kiss this organization good bye. And you know I am disappointed in him. Here the team fought to have his name on the cup and this is how he repays them. The organization wanted him here, too bad he pulled this stunt.

From TSN.ca as of a few minutes ago.

The Carolina Hurricanes have 10 NHL defenceman and Anton Babchuk was the odd man out. And he's not happy about it.

So the 22-year-old refused an assignment to AHL Albany, forcing the Hurricanes to suspend him Wednesday.

"It's really more of an administrative thing for us right now with our numbers with everybody back healthy," Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford told The Canadian Press on Wednesday. "Anton is just kind of set back by it because he played very well. He's just taking a couple of days to think about it. But by league rules this is something we have to do."

Babchuk was the obvious candidate to be reassigned. He's the only defenceman among the 10 that's on a two-way contract, making US$900,600 in the NHL and $92,500 in the AHL, and also doesn't have to clear waivers to be demoted.

He had two goals and 12 assists in 51 games with the Hurricanes this season.

so there may be more to it than we think, just a procedureal thing JR has to do to free up space (he has to go or get suspended).

"It's really more of an administrative thing for us right now with our numbers with everybody back healthy," Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford told The Canadian Press on Wednesday. "Anton is just kind of set back by it because he played very well. He's just taking a couple of days to think about it. But by league rules this is something we have to do."

And all the indignation thrown out on this thread. :P

it's what it looks like, they can't keep him on the roster with Frankie back. you can't blame babs for at least wanting a day or two to think about it. so JR had to suspend him until he reports so that he doesn't get any grief from the league on carrying 24 guys!!

3636 and I both agree there is more to this than meets the eye. He would have a blast in Albany with Keith, Dave, Kevin, Ryan and Jesse. Also, was looking forward to Jesse B. teaching Anton to throw a good punch or two.

News release states he was expected to play in Norfolk. Maybe he decided not to fly to Albany on Monday and then have to ride the bus back down to Norfolk and ride back, meanwhile not having a car in Albany. We hope he will read these boards, get his *edit* straight and haul butt to Norfolk today! Certainly, if we knew JR's motives, Anton did too. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. That's my story and I am sticking to it, I have to keep faith in him.

I spoke to him on Saturday after Rec Zone practice and commented on the extra ice time he had with Belanger, Hutch, Kaberle and Graham knowing deep down it ment he was a healthy scratch. We asked if he was playing Sat. night anyway, he replied "No!". We asked "Why not" and he said, "I don't know, ask Coach".

Note the irony that Babs first two games would be against the Admirals.

it's what it looks like, they can't keep him on the roster with Frankie back. you can't blame babs for at least wanting a day or two to think about it. so JR had to suspend him until he reports so that he doesn't get any grief from the league on carrying 24 guys!!

I totally get that, but really, what is there to THINK about?? Your boss tells you do something work related, you do it. Plain and simple.

I totally get that, but really, what is there to THINK about?? Your boss tells you do something work related, you do it. Plain and simple.

Not everyone is a lemming!!

given the roster, Tanabe and Hutch should have gone before him. though at his young age doing this has taken quiet a set of **you know**

I agree Tanabe definatley should have gone before him. Babchuck is better than Tanabe any day of the week.

Not everyone remains employed either

Wonder what my boss would say to me when she asked me to transfer to Sanford from Raleigh if I told her "let me think about it."

Age doesn't key into this, 23 is not that young in the hockey world. He could have done his time like all the others that have been sent down. Heck, didn't Cam get sent down for conditioning once????

If he can't follow instructions from his GM, then off he goes but that's just me.

Not everyone remains employed either

Some of us do and some go on to start their own companies!!

Wonder what my boss would say to me when she asked me to transfer to Sanford from Raleigh if I told her "let me think about it."

Age doesn't key into this, 23 is not that young in the hockey world. He could have done his time like all the others that have been sent down. Heck, didn't Cam get sent down for conditioning once????

If he can't follow instructions from his GM, then off he goes but that's just me.

A conditioning stint is different than being sent down. Keep tabs on the article on TSN.CA/NHL, they have updated the story at least three times since it broke so there may be more to this.

Babchuk's agent on the suspension:

Jay Grossman, Anton Babchuk's agent, said his client doesn't feel he's a minor-league player and would prefer the Hurricanes trade him to another NHL team.

Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutheford suspended Babchuk on Wednesday after the 22-year-old defenseman refused to report to Albany (AHL) when the Canes sent him down to clear a spot for Frantisek Kaberle on Tuesday.

“After playing well and for a good part of the season, especially at the beginning, in the top four, playing more than 20 minutes a night, he doesn’t feel he’s a minor-league player,†Grossman said. “I know there’s interest out there and teams that view it the same way. At the same time, we understand the prediciment Jim faces. We’ve been communicating regarding that and we’ll see what happens.â€

Babchuk appeared in 51 of Carolina's first 55 games, and his 14 points are second only to Mike Commodore among Carolina defensemen.

So yeah he was logging tons of minutes when Wallin, Hedican, and Kaberle were all injured, but he's got to know that he is NOT a top 4 defenseman now. I think his head is a bit too big right now. Yeah he was doing good and logged all those minutes, but he's got to understand that at this time and with his experience Hedican, Commodore, Wallin, Wesley, Kaberle, Gleason, and yes Tanabe are ahead of him.

and some end up putting thier families and themselves in dire circumstances.

Lets be real about it - Not everyone can refuse a work assignment and get away with.

Anyone remember Jack Johnson...... I believe he is with a new company these days.

Lets be real about it - Not everyone can refuse a work assignment and get away with.

Anyone remember Jack Johnson...... I believe he is with a new company these days.

Time will tell but i doubt Jack will suffer as a result.

This just saddens me to no end. Babs had a lot going for him here and this is how he repays them? I know there must be more going on, but still. That is bad karma and some teams he might want to be traded to may not view that in a good light. In a best case scenario he'll end up at some team that he feels appreciates him. Worst case scenario he'll end up with a team that will immediately send him down to the AHL and then he'll have to realize it's either do what you are told or don't play. Period. Hope he realizes that he has to do what the coaches and management asks of him. I'm going to miss him, but Lavi and JR are not going to have him back on the team without an act of God. They don't put up with subordinance.

Bye, Babs. I'm going to miss you and your killer slap shot. :( Now I'm glad I got his autograph a couple of weeks ago and he was pretty nice to me (which I'm hearing might be rare?).

Time will tell but i doubt Jack will suffer as a result.

Being a King could be considered suffering ... either way - we all saw how his refusal turned out.

Rutherford does not play .......... I imagine Babs refusal will not work to his advantage - at least within this organization.